Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,377 members, 7,800,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science (1207 Views)

He Wants To Quit His Job As A Chemical Scientist For Music.Pls Advice Him! / Computer Scientist lets meet here / Estate Agent Forum : Let Us Meet And Talk The Talk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by amebo22: 4:35am On Apr 16, 2009
I would like to meet the next generation of scientists, those with a heart for the career path. Let talk about our challenges. What it means to suceed in these field and if possible helpful tips

I dont know if we have a forum already opened on this since i just can't find it and if there is i apologise and would someone direct me there pls.
Thank you
Re: Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by amebo22: 5:23pm On Apr 16, 2009
I can't believe there is no Scientist on NL, just doctors ,bankers and pharmacist, or those that are aspiring to be one,
Re: Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by nthnymarce(m): 9:02pm On Apr 16, 2009
I am here o, a proud parasitologist.
Re: Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by amebo22: 3:09am On Apr 17, 2009
wow finally we got one in the house, glad to have you aboard. tks for the response i almost tot everyone was in the romance section.
As for me i have a background in Biochemistry but now into Microbiology with emphasis on the environment, My specialty is with water, esp with the increasing scarcity of water so my field require find alternative source of water for the future, i did put up some posts on water but i guess no one is interested i dont blame them, Even wen i am in a gathering everyone is paranoid when you mention drought ETC, i dont mean to scare you sha just tot i put in alil info,

So what aspect of parasitology is ur specialty, i have taken classes in ur field but i think i love Mosquitoes esp thier lifecyle is interesting to study or may be because the prof that tot the class was passionate about mosquitoes , etc i hope am not blabing already jus excited to find a scientist on NL
Re: Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by neyo4real(m): 6:49pm On Apr 23, 2009
i think there is another person in the house
Re: Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by amebo22: 6:57pm On Apr 23, 2009
i just wonder y i get excited when i get a response to this thread, @neyo welcome aboard could you pls tell us your area of interest?
What your field is, thank you.
Re: Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by ElRazur: 11:36am On May 04, 2009
I'm a Biomedical scientist. smiley Glad to hear a few scientists are around here.

I am the guy behind the scene. My Job is to help in diagnosis of disease, disorders, analysis, etc and work alongside [/s]arrogant[/s] Doctors. I have worked in Haematology, Microbiology, Transfusion, Biochemistry etc. I once also had the chance to work briefly on a research project on Leukaemia. There is really a lot to learn.

I love what I do and will not trade it for anything else.

On the politics forum, I mentioned how these field is severely under-developed in Nigeria, and a few ignorant people started saying I am a "mere Lab scientist" and there are a lot of them back home. I just laughed it off, as clearly the persons have no idea what they are talking about.

At the moment, I am considering doing something that would make my expertise even more useful back home. Perhaps something in "tropical and exotic disease".
Re: Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by amebo22: 12:41pm On May 04, 2009
@ElRazur,
Glad to have you aboard,you, your training and expertise are welcomed. its true about the ignorance on how important science is in Nigeria, all we are accustomed to is the Oil, and the other professions listed above. Science i have come to love is exciting and with patience you can get anywhere not to mention the knowledge.
I even tried to bring up issues on NL on our environment and how we impact with waste and how it affects us but its obvious that either we dont care or we are just neva interested.
A mere lab scientist they say and yet a doctor cant function with out you.Example: you have malaria you go to the doctor and he give you antimalaria and you cured of course the Dr is a hero but before the anti malaria could be given out it took several scientists in different fields and some of them probably thier life time to make that drug yet ,
As you can see this topic is not even getting enuf attention as well but atleast we can start from somewhere. there is another thread on environmental science and I placed a poll to see if we can continue to bring about intresting facts about science and share our passion since as you might know already Science is interwoven and you cant divorce one aspect from the other. Exotic and tropical disease you say.I am fascinated and would love to know more. So far am trying to get experts on thier fields and see how we can all weave it together, and start sharing info on various fields.Thanks for your interest and identification you can only imagine how excited i am.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-265151.99999.html#bot
Re: Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by ElRazur: 1:28pm On May 04, 2009
Not a lot of people realise that Doctors have no idea on what actually makes a patient better, but try telling that to those who think otherwise.

As for those labelling it as "mere lab scientist" there is a big difference between a Lab scientist [Mostly lab technicians back home] and a Biomedical scientist. Hence why I just laugh it off.

The exotic and tropical disease course, is just a fancy name for "Tropical medicine". Over here, there are very few places with such specialities - due to the part of the world we are located. However, as the "planet is apparently getting warmer" we are seeing more and more tropical disease manifesting itself here in the UK. Also cheaper air travel means more cases are readily detected from people coming into the country.

And as most of us will know from basic biology, a disease spread very fast in an environment that have no defence to it. imagine if Malaria breaks out in the UK, loads of people will die as the majority haven't encountered it before, and the symptoms can be easily missed for a bad flu. So tropical medicine will be an interesting area for me to go into I think.
Re: Next Generation Of Scientist: Lets Find Ourselves And Talk Bout Science by amebo22: 5:45pm On May 04, 2009
I have spent some time in immunonlogy and bacteriology , you know exploring until i found a comfortable niche, with the ever growing interest in the environment these days and recycling been the order of the day i tot we can share our little contributions on NL, I have put forward a request to the owner of NL concerning these issues but i have not gotten a reply thus far. I am looking forwardd to the outcome of the votes and see if we can spike interest.
And true about the ever changing climate and global warming and ever increasing globalization. its difficult to ignore emerging pathogens and contaminants that are yet to be identified, Thus my mere scientist friend the best we can do is to ignore, sit back and laff while you enjoy your work in the lab. Even with your field its still interwoven with the environment due to global warming etc, thks for sharing and would not mind if you keep updating us with new discoveries as well or other aspects of science that spikes you interest.

(1) (Reply)

Body For Cinematographers In Nigeria? / No / Olu Akanmu's Resignation (airtel): The Prima Garnet/scanad Connection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.