Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,939 members, 7,806,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

Hajj Stampede: 717 People Die In Mecca Crush - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hajj Stampede: 717 People Die In Mecca Crush (819 Views)

Bukola Saraki And His Son, Oluwaseni Saraki, In Mecca For The Hajj. Photo / Jega’s Brother Justice A.A. Jega Who Died In Hajj Stampede (Photo) / Hajiya Yusuf Who Died At The Hajj Stampede Pictured With Oby Ezekwesili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hajj Stampede: 717 People Die In Mecca Crush by Obijulius: 2:01pm On Sep 24, 2015
At least 717 people have died and hundreds more are injured after a stampede on the edge of Mecca, Saudi authorities say.

Civil defence officials said more than 800 were also injured in the crush at Mina, on the outskirts of the Muslim holy city, where some two million people are at the annual pilgrimage.

Some 4,000 rescue workers and 220 ambulances are involved in the emergency operation, officials said.

Pictures on social media showed a devastating scene, with dozens of bodies lying among water bottles and crushed wheelchairs.

Mina is where pilgrims go to carry out a symbolic stoning of the devil by throwing pebbles against stone walls.

Witnesses said the stampede happened on Street 204, one of the main roads leading through the camp set up for pilgrims to get to the three stone walls, known as Jamarat.

More than 160,000 tents are set up in the area.

One unnamed pilgrim said he had been planning to perform the stoning ritual in the afternoon but was too frightened to do so.

"I am very tired already and after this I can't go. I will wait for the night and if it not resolved, I will see if maybe somebody else can do it on my behalf," he said.

The deaths come on the first day of Eid, traditionally the most hazardous day of the Hajj because so many people are trying to perform rituals at the same time.

It also comes less than two weeks after a giant crane crashed down on the Grand Mosque in Mecca, the site which is the focal point for the pilgrimage.

At least 111 people died then and more than 390 were injured.

Source
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hajj-pilgrimage-100-people-die-crush-082919734.html
Re: Hajj Stampede: 717 People Die In Mecca Crush by amii131(f): 2:03pm On Sep 24, 2015
Wtf pics please
Re: Hajj Stampede: 717 People Die In Mecca Crush by DonXavi(m): 2:05pm On Sep 24, 2015
In less than three weeks we've seen how many lives have lost in this Saudi Arabia. The Saudis must be held responsible for this recurring incidents for not putting the required safety measures in place knowing the magnitude of people that always attend to perform this annual rites.

I am not a Muslim but this is not good at all. Imagine that one left his country to go and supposedly worship his god just to go and die in another country and be brought back in body bag. Save there's a spiritual connotation to all this death.
Re: Hajj Stampede: 717 People Die In Mecca Crush by demsid(m): 2:09pm On Sep 24, 2015
Oh. Rip to d dead
Re: Hajj Stampede: 717 People Die In Mecca Crush by vinnex: 2:11pm On Sep 24, 2015
Human sacrisfy loi!!

(1) (Reply)

Independence Day Address Of Oyo State Governor, Sen. Abiola Ajimobi. / Which Ministerial Position Should Be Given To This Man? / Osinbajo.. Come And Claim Your Responsibilities..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.