Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,015 members, 7,803,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! (34970 Views)

Meet Lanre Udu, Medical Doctor With Two Bachelors, Two Master's Degrees, PHD / Why Every Nigerian Lady Must Learn A Skill. / When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by mykohayz(m): 11:49pm On Sep 25, 2015
thesource:
Thanks
gracias
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by loladeayobami(m): 12:13am On Sep 26, 2015
Kudus to you my niggas it has been a while have been looking forward to express my feelings on some great and knowledgeable post like dis,in support of what u just said we students can't not achieve our desire aims until we reduce our high expectations on education dat we are going to school because of work with our certificate coz all of us cannot work in d office and no matter hw our govt try to overcome unemployment dey can't satisfied our needs.like I always say to my friends dat all of us cannot work with govt or private organization,pls friends d main reason why of been a students is to different from illiterate person...in support of SAIBABA let us go back to farm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by ewosk: 12:20am On Sep 26, 2015
Spits on thread with anger haba

At Jss 3 i can read; write; articulate and conceptualise ideas while not preach this sermon then.....if i learnt a skill then i would had over 10 years cognate experience and a long list of clientele.

Now after spending years and resources to get a degree one still need to go get a skill that the facilitator or instructor barely holds a FLSC to survive.

Shame on the state of this Nation.....

3 Likes

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by ewosk: 12:37am On Sep 26, 2015
totorimi:
This is exactly what the NYSC is meant to achieve rather than the present waste of time. They need to restructure that scheme because if youths are equipped with practical skills in fashion designing, automobile repair, painting, carpentry, welding, photography etc they will be empowered to ensure they are gainfully employed.
Even when employed they strive to setup gainful employment for others. Therein lies the revolution we so crave in our economy.

SAED....
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by 360command: 3:37am On Sep 26, 2015
@dearpreye, you make brain no b small. Abroad, na skill dey bring money. You will find out that someone with an entrepreneurial skill can bank a profit of 50000-100000pounds a year. If you ask me what they did to get that, I would say it is the skill they acquired. You will see people who can do knitting,artwork, crafts, decoration, bakery, etc

Another new trend of skills are the ones who can create apps , come up with a unique concept, innovate, and then sell their products and services to consumers...

this is skill by entrepreneurial thinking.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Ikiriye(m): 5:36am On Sep 26, 2015
UnknownT:
As a civil engineering graduate, i have always regretted why i didnt learn Masonry or Tile fixing while in school. These guys with their skills are making it 'each' time they have job.
How can you say this.my friend you have a skill already,meet architects and do structural designs for them.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by comrok: 6:35am On Sep 26, 2015
dearpreye:
Today, and once again, I'm writing on a very familiar issue. Degrees are outrightly overrated - especially down here in Nigeria.

This system churns out thousands of graduates every single year, and almost all of these graduates have the same mindset of seeking and getting a job somewhere. Whether or not we accept it, the JOB MARKET is overcrowded and government won't give everyone a job. Actually every serious government should be more concerned with creating a supportive and enabling environment than creating jobs for its people.

Every individual has a talent and a passion, and their wealth and fame lies in their vigorous pursuit of those passions and talents.

It's about time everyone begins learning a skill OR start to develop some latent ability within them. There's nothing wrong with adding a skill to your degree. It could be learning plumbing, professional driving, wiring a house, tailoring, selling, carpentry, painting, fashion designing, etc, or it could developing some soft skills like becoming a great communicator, writer, or even becoming a motivational speaker or personal development expert.

I had gone to give a safety briefing to some contractors and other management staff this day. After the briefing, one of the managers approached me, appreciated the manner of the talk and asked, " are you a motivational speaker?". Of course I sad NO. And she enthused I would make a good speaker if I could put my heart into it.

I laughed away the talk, but the speech replayed later in my mind as I was preparing to retire to bed in the evening. I Googled on the topic and started to read almost all the materials that came up. That was how I started on the journey to personal development and motivational speaking.

Last week, I went to give a give a talk to some youths. Although I refused to take a dime but I left there very fulfilled and I know I'm on my way to adding another skill to my skill pool. In this era, there's no limit to the skills we can acquire.

At the moment, an old man is fixing some plumbing works for me. As we talked, he told me how he's been looking for youths to assist in learning that skill, but none has shown any interest.

As an undergraduate, you can still make plans towards learning a skill while on campus. Skill is the way forward. No great nation ever took skill development for granted. It's time to learn a skill. Any skill can be a temporal source of income. Men are losing their jobs; competition is fiercer now than ever. Even if you're seeking to be the best in your chosen field, you can still add a skill. Any skill.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day.

Lalasticalala, good morning.
thanks for taking your time to write this piece of advice note, just last week i decided to add value to certificate, thanks God am improving my pact.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 26, 2015
comrok:
thanks for taking your time to write this piece of advice note, just last week i decided to add value to certificate, thanks God am improving my pact.

And thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Keep developing and becoming all the more relevant. The reward is always more than the price.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by whugo(m): 8:01am On Sep 26, 2015
drnairalov:
stale gist... evryone shud know dis now
---- so
som1 came to my house...then knocked on my door
i say who is there?
dey said the police
i say what do u want
they said they just want to talk
i say how many are you
the said two
i say ok then talk to ur selves.
..den they break my door and arrest me
pls why??
This your gist naim stale pass
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by momoohwos(m): 8:51am On Sep 26, 2015
lankieman:
In fela's voice.... University certificate.. Chorus : molue driver

C.O.P !!!

1 Like

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 26, 2015
damton:
Good write up but what of the issue of capital. But it's always difficult to start

True, but you could be making things a bit too
difficult.

Here are a few steps that can help you get
started. (Best part: you don't need any capital
for any of these)

Step 1: Get a piece of paper and draw a vertical
line down the middle of the paper.

Step 2: In the left column, write out the things
you naturally enjoy doing. You can make this list
as long as you want.

Step 3: In the right column, write out who you
think can pay you to do each of the things you
listed.

Step 4: Look at your list again and pick ONE that
looks the most likely to work.

Step 5: Go through all your phone contacts and
look for someone who can help you with advice on
what to do.

Before you tell me you don't know anybody, it's
been proven that the average person knows at least
250 people. And even if your contacts don't have
the advice to give you, they are likely to link
you up with someone who does.

Cheers!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 26, 2015
dearpreye:

And thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Keep developing and becoming all the more relevant. The reward is always more than the price.
can I go to school and complete my skill acquisition cos I don't think I can go back to my boss advice please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Lovexme(m): 10:50am On Sep 26, 2015
gmacnoms:
i'll get u some numbers. I'll let dem know i'm referrin som1. One of dem is a very Yung lad, but he sits so many men on d sticks.

I don't mind. Thanks.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 26, 2015
dearpreye:
Today, and once again, I'm writing on a very familiar issue. Degrees are outrightly overrated - especially down here in Nigeria.

This system churns out thousands of graduates every single year, and almost all of these graduates have the same mindset of seeking and getting a job somewhere. Whether or not we accept it, the JOB MARKET is overcrowded and government won't give everyone a job. Actually every serious government should be more concerned with creating a supportive and enabling environment than creating jobs for its people.

Every individual has a talent and a passion, and their wealth and fame lies in their vigorous pursuit of those passions and talents.

It's about time everyone begins learning a skill OR start to develop some latent ability within them. There's nothing wrong with adding a skill to your degree. It could be learning plumbing, professional driving, wiring a house, tailoring, selling, carpentry, painting, fashion designing, etc, or it could developing some soft skills like becoming a great communicator, writer, or even becoming a motivational speaker or personal development expert.

I had gone to give a safety briefing to some contractors and other management staff this day. After the briefing, one of the managers approached me, appreciated the manner of the talk and asked, " are you a motivational speaker?". Of course I sad NO. And she enthused I would make a good speaker if I could put my heart into it.

I laughed away the talk, but the speech replayed later in my mind as I was preparing to retire to bed in the evening. I Googled on the topic and started to read almost all the materials that came up. That was how I started on the journey to personal development and motivational speaking.

Last week, I went to give a give a talk to some youths. Although I refused to take a dime but I left there very fulfilled and I know I'm on my way to adding another skill to my skill pool. In this era, there's no limit to the skills we can acquire.

At the moment, an old man is fixing some plumbing works for me. As we talked, he told me how he's been looking for youths to assist in learning that skill, but none has shown any interest.

As an undergraduate, you can still make plans towards learning a skill while on campus. Skill is the way forward. No great nation ever took skill development for granted. It's time to learn a skill. Any skill can be a temporal source of income. Men are losing their jobs; competition is fiercer now than ever. Even if you're seeking to be the best in your chosen field, you can still add a skill. Any skill.

Right on time to make it 100.

Bro, the importance of skills cannot over emphasized, but those who won't listen, may never listen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 26, 2015
Imanuelle:

Right on time to make it 100.

Bro, the importance of skills cannot over emphasized, but those who won't listen, may never listen.

Thanks brother. It's our duty to write whenever we're inspired to do so, knowing fully well a few might learn from it. It's normal to have some folks not wanting to listen. To leave the realm of poverty and lack is WORK and SACRIFICE; and most people don't wait that.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 26, 2015
Dayvhid:

can I go to school and complete my skill acquisition cos I don't think I can go back to my boss advice please

Hmmmm. ..I don't really know what to say ATM.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 26, 2015
dearpreye:

Hmmmm. ..I don't really know what to say ATM.
I can wait til you have a good answer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 26, 2015
Dayvhid:
I can wait til you have a good answer.

IMHO, and judging from the little information you've provided, I still SUGGEST you go back to him and apologise very sincerely. I've had a similar bitter experience where someone tried to frustrate me but I had to hold on. It might NOT be easy but you have to continue your programme and try to finish it.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by TOYNEX(f): 12:12pm On Sep 26, 2015
BUILD YOURSELF A LASTING CAREER
Can you recall the first time you heared about BEAD as a fashion Ornament? I'm sure its not in the last 10years...
Bead making is a business that can never be extinct except fashion extinct. Bead making has been in existence as far as human generation but you need to move with the trend to make a lifetime living from this business...
LEARN BEAD MAKING ONLINE with ROTAD BEADS AND DECOR AKURE.
FOR RBI FREE BEADS AND WIREWORKS TRAINING TIPS
Visit: www.rotadbeadsanddecor.com to start for FREE

or Learn on a more Professional ground at:

http://rotadbeadsanddecor..in/p/bead-making-online-class.html?m=1

If you are not new to bead making BUT need to improve to be relevant, JOIN the Moving Train at:
http://rotadbeadsanddecor..com.ng/p/ewhatsapp.html?m=1

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by FunnyDude(m): 2:20pm On Sep 26, 2015
Rubbish thread.

Spit and get away of this thread

No matter what I will be sucessful with my own BSc degree by my tenacity in life

Skills kor, Skill ni....Mtcheeww.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by princehabyb(m): 11:53am On Sep 27, 2015
YEAH..YOU RIGHT....THE LABOUR MARKET EVERY UNDERGRADUATE IS ABOUT JOINING IS ALREADY SATURATED EVEN WITH THE BEST OF DEGREES MOST TIMES!....THAT SHOULD SEND A SIGNAL THAT START THINKING ABOUT ANOTHER WAY OR PLAN B TO FALL TO IF EVENTUALLY YOU FALL A VICITM OF NAIJA JOB INSECURITES!...WE'VE GAT TO WORK SMART THESE DAYS
...MEANWHILE I HAVE THIS GREAT INFO FOR YOU GUYS ..CHECK IT OUT

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 27, 2015
FunnyDude:
Rubbish thread.

Spit and get away of this thread

No matter what I will be sucessful with my own BSc degree by my tenacity in life

Skills kor, Skill ni....Mtcheeww.
don't get the whole thing twisted, the OP didn't say one can't be successful with his/her degree but having a skill to back it up gives you an edge over others.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 27, 2015
leocolin:
don't get the whole thing twisted, the OP didn't say one can't be successful with his/her degree but having a skill to back it up gives you an edge over others.

Thanks for taking the pain to iron it out for them. No one downplays the significance of acquiring a degree; I have one myself. But in light of the prevailing economic circumstances, learning and adding at least ONE skill won't be a bad idea at all.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by hahn(m): 6:33pm On Sep 27, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks for taking the pain to iron it out for them. No one downplays the significance of acquiring a degree; I have one myself. But in light of the prevailing economic circumstances, learning and adding at least ONE skill won't be a bad idea at all.

@bolded, I believe that successful people have always known this. One can never expect to be truly financially independent by relying on one source of income. It is important to seek and invest in new opportunities and of course, skill

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 27, 2015
hahn:

@bolded, I believe that successful people have always known this. One can never expect to be truly financially independent by relying on one source of income. It is important to seek and invest in new opportunities and of course, skill

Thanks, my boss. It's very risky to be limited to just ONE source of income.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by hhamza11: 12:53pm On Sep 29, 2015
i am working with a private sector but i want to quit and be an interior decorator.What do u advice
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by afm4ever(m): 10:54pm On Oct 06, 2015
dearpreye:

pls can i have ur email address

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by nigeriancuban: 6:24am On Oct 07, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by pinehazel(m): 5:14pm On Oct 07, 2015
There is nothing compare to having a skill that is guaranteed of fetching you money at will. Thirty days make a pay is not an interesting life style, irrespective of how much is the salary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by pinehazel(m): 5:53pm On Oct 07, 2015
Like myself for instance, I am into different skills that compliment each other. I do graphic design, printing as well as digital marketing consulting. But all these started with my knowledge on CorelDraw Graphic Design. I do graphic design as service and also do training on it. Making money from both ends. There is nothing like skill acquisition.
#‎Degrees‬ Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill!
Complete CorelDraw Video Tutorials
6-Step-by-Step Guide Video Tutorilals is enough to get you going.
info@digitalmarketing-ng.com

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo Of A Woman Frying And Selling Bean Ball 'akara' From A Boat / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / 10 Types Of Occupations That Make The Most Money This Season.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.