Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time (49726 Views)

Preparing Ogbono Soup For The First Time. / See The Giant Tortoise Found And Slaughtered For Peppersoup In Lagos (photos) / White Girl Sees Nigerian Fried Plantain For The First Time And Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Ryda(m): 4:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
Tortoise sweet jor
bt i neva taste am b4 o
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 02, 2015
All of u condeming op gerrarahere . Mehn ...tortoiae no b food...u no deh chop tortoise op chop am...u deh chop chicken ..i no deh chop am.....rubnish every mans got his preference....they are all animals....nd according to d bible eat Them all my Son .....Said Tha.......op u deh interested.....alligator, dog ,kite,snake,bushrat...deh ooo kip chawing
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Rimamsirufun(m): 5:13pm On Oct 02, 2015
HungerBAD:
I was born and raised in the Western part of Nigeria.

Lagos specifically, although a Niger Deltan.

As a young boy growing up, I use to see a lot of sacrifices with tortoise all around me. Those memories never left my head.

I still associate tortoises with sacrifices.

No vex. But to me it just be like say you chop one sacrifice now.

Chai..... #JESUS_SAVES
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by lond07: 5:23pm On Oct 02, 2015
Notyourb1tch:
I hope you didn't boil the tortoise alive undecided

I am speechless...

You spoke my mind. In fact I looked over the picture again and again wondering if this gentle creature was properly killed before being put on the fire. Only hope not the way it sounded.
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by AsanwaKC(f): 5:32pm On Oct 02, 2015
Wickedness, op how can you put live tortoise on a burning stove...una no get conscience at all.. angry...all because you want to eat meat.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by youngice(m): 5:33pm On Oct 02, 2015
Chulex:
Even sheep that is used to describe meekness and gentility people dey chop am. I am sure u have eaten too. What has the sheep done to deserve it?
Sheep is a domesticated animal and is reared to be eaten
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by bluice2(m): 5:38pm On Oct 02, 2015
HungerBAD:

As a young boy growing up, I use to see a lot of sacrifices with tortoise all around me. Those memories never left my head.

Dude has eaten amadioha's pet, his punishment from the oracle is already doing press up grin grin
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Jaidooo(m): 5:39pm On Oct 02, 2015
menix:
Op after eating it, ve u discovered that ur _erection comes on slow pace nd u now thrust more cous of d slow Rythm in u.

Pray it does not put u in Buhari's condition.
LOOL!
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by femynho(m): 5:45pm On Oct 02, 2015
Chulex:
Even sheep that is used to describe meekness and gentility people dey chop am. I am sure u have eaten too. What has the sheep done to deserve it?

Try taste the egg...
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by angieberry(f): 6:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
Goatss, cows, pigs and chickens are also innocent animals that never hurt anybody. Don't criticize op based on sentiments.
invisibility:

Tortoise for real? That innocent harmless creature that never hurt anybody. The OP can eat anything.
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Kkjam(m): 6:46pm On Oct 02, 2015
Burger01:
My God! Nigerians can eat anything! Are we that hungry angry

Honestly, we are so cruel angry
He is not hungry, he drove to that place with his car
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Burger01(m): 6:51pm On Oct 02, 2015
Kkjam:
He is not hungry, he drove to that place with his car
So, he drove just to eat tortoise

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by zynzyn(m): 6:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
Chulex:
It was a very sunny day as I drove from Port harcourt to Ughelli, and as usual I stopped at the the roadside stalls on the highway to buy foodstuff(usually prawns and plantain).

Surprisingly I saw tortoises of various sizes hanging on from the wooden sheds. I got so curious as I have heard of people eating it and I had never tasted it.

So I decided to price one small one, which I eventually bought for #1500. I happily put it in my booth anticipating what delicacy I wud prepare with it.

How to kill it and remove shell now became the next issue, I've only heard of about people removing the shell with very hot water.

Luckily for I found someone who was going to kill but instead of using hot water, the tortoise was heated on a stove to make it easy to remove the meat out of the shell.

That was how I made Banga soup with with tortoise. Unfortunately I don't have photo of the soup but I have the picture of the tortoise and the killing process

Even though all my friends criticized me for eating it, claiming it was an endangered species, I must confess I really enjoyed my Banga soup cooked with tortoise meat(Kinda tasted like chicken)

OP. When u wake up one morning and discover u have grown a shell, no call us o!

After all, u chop the tortoise alone!! grin wink
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Kkjam(m): 6:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
[color=#990000][/color]That man will be full of tricks like Mr Tortoise
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by goldtooth: 7:15pm On Oct 02, 2015
California30:
I do go to my Friend's house when i was in Nigeria, his father was a native doctor, they will kill & cook the tortoise they used in sacrifices to the gods & we will all eat.
My brother that means you are now a living bullet proof jazz. If anybody shoot you e no go enter. I suggest you join the US army. You are a general in waiting. smiley
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by ItsMeAboki(m): 7:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
Notyourb1tch:
I hope you didn't boil the tortoise alive undecided

I am speechless...

No he didn't boil it but instead ROASTED IT ALIVE, didn't you see the uploaded picture of the cruelty?
I am also speechless.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 02, 2015
must you guys eat everything

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Topman0001(m): 9:19pm On Oct 02, 2015
jimi4us:
Na so una dey spread virus.
hahahhahahah.... U no go kill person with funnies- when did tortoise start spreading viruses... Guy u're the funniest.
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Empedocles(m): 9:37pm On Oct 02, 2015
HungerBAD:

We can send our message across without cursing.
unfortunately some people were raissed with it so dey only speak cursian
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Shawarmaplus(m): 10:50pm On Oct 02, 2015
Chulex:
It was a very sunny day as I drove from Port harcourt to Ughelli, and as usual I stopped at the the roadside stalls on the highway to buy foodstuff(usually prawns and plantain).

Surprisingly I saw tortoises of various sizes hanging on from the wooden sheds. I got so curious as I have heard of people eating it and I had never tasted it.

So I decided to price one small one, which I eventually bought for #1500. I happily put it in my booth anticipating what delicacy I wud prepare with it.

How to kill it and remove shell now became the next issue, I've only heard of about people removing the shell with very hot water.

Luckily for I found someone who was going to kill but instead of using hot water, the tortoise was heated on a stove to make it easy to remove the meat out of the shell.

That was how I made Banga soup with with tortoise. Unfortunately I don't have photo of the soup but I have the picture of the tortoise and the killing process

Even though all my friends criticized me for eating it, claiming it was an endangered species, I must confess I really enjoyed my Banga soup cooked with tortoise meat(Kinda tasted like chicken)

At least SHAWARMA taste way better

****Check out our profile, u or ur friends may need us****
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by smuth(m): 10:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
ThePeacemaker:
Eatinq tortoise............... You chop the shell join.

Abeg na who give ur sense visa?
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by DONFASZY(m): 11:22pm On Oct 02, 2015
sacrifice for yahoo yahoo plus...big juju 2 me....I fear u....I cNt imagine...
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by TolaniLuv: 11:45pm On Oct 02, 2015
braine:
Na wah... I thought they use it for charms especially those yahoo boys. so People eat this?? ?? cry cry

You are right about this, I have a room mate who kept this close to his bed always. And never said anything about it or why

He's a yahoo boy tho
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by braine(m): 11:49pm On Oct 02, 2015
TolaniLuv:

You are right about this, I have a room mate who kept this close to his bed always. And never said anything about it or why

He's a yahoo boy tho

You really should be careful.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by preshsmg(m): 11:49pm On Oct 02, 2015
braine:
Na wah... I thought they use it for charms especially those yahoo boys. so People eat this?? ?? cry cry
wetin your mind go yahoo
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by TolaniLuv: 12:10am On Oct 03, 2015
braine:

You really should be careful.

I guess I should. He said for personal use so I didn't care much.
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Baroba(m): 3:34am On Oct 03, 2015
dominique:
In my decades of existence I've never heard of tortoise being eaten.

There's nothing Nigerians can't eat, even the rearest of the endangered species, they must eat. Why are we like this? We need functional conservation agencies in this country.

The way the Op snuffed life out of the poor tortoise makes me sick.

Well said, how much meat can you get out of that tiny thing. Odiegwu
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by hope4nigeria(m): 5:59am On Oct 03, 2015
braine:
Op just got pocesed trust me
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Glocal1: 7:14am On Oct 03, 2015
Has anyone ever eaten monkey/baboon? They r so many on d lagoon in UNILAG. Hope Akokites can start hunting.
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 03, 2015
GlorifiedTunde:
Nyama!! angry tongue angry
Nigerians can chop anything ehn!!
have you been to China? you will cringe to see their delicacies I swear. they eat everything! from human beings to flies
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by liz140: 10:30am On Oct 03, 2015
wow nice meat
Re: My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time by liz140: 10:31am On Oct 03, 2015
grin
HungerBAD:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lacasera: Does It Contain Bleaching Chemical ? / The Fishes One Man Caught In My Village Today / What Happened To MR BIGGS?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.