Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,588 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. (1000 Views)

Can I Replace A Linux / A Linux Guru Wanna Be / Installing Windows On Acer Travelmate 2413 With Linux Os (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by brianromel(m): 11:37pm On Apr 16, 2009
I'm in a bit of a fix,i'm trying to install a linux os on a system that already got xp installed.
The os is bootable only via cdrom,of which i'm getting tired of inserting the cd any time i need to run it.
I can't copy the bloody thing and run it on windows when i like,so i just have to asks,if any one knows how to install this linux OS.
Oh and the os is called auditor.
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by Ikomi(m): 11:30am On Apr 17, 2009
If u got a bootable CDROM OS thats what its meant to do as far as I know. Boot from CD. angry

Aight to get it running on ur computer u need to download a Linux Image (.ISO). angry

Burn the Image to empty CD's then u have an installable Linux OS. angry

Well to get it runing side by side with windows u need to partition ur hard drive, then install the the Linux.

When partitioning ur hard drive be very careful u might loose all ur files.
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by brianromel(m): 2:06pm On Apr 17, 2009
I've burnt the iso file into a cd and can boot from the cd,my problem is installing the os on my harddrive.
Unlike windows,it has no place that says install to harddrive.i have created a partition for it also,i just need to know how to install it to that partition as it does not run like windows when installing from a bootable xp installation cd.
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by Ikomi(m): 2:19pm On Apr 17, 2009
What brand of Linux did u burn, and what version?
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by blackweaver(m): 9:02pm On Apr 17, 2009
does your cd have gparted? if not and if you have a decent enough internet connection you can download gparted liveced another os you can download is puppy linux which also comes with gparted and runs faster puppy linux (the latest) is about 80+mb but you can also download one of the older versions which are much smaller the gparted is to resize your partition without losing your partition. Though they always tell you to back up your data, as long as u know what you are doing yoou shouldn't have any problem; or you could get partition magic and use that to resize your disk partition and creatre a new one in the space freed. after that you can install the linux os in the new partition
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by flyuche(m): 9:18pm On Apr 17, 2009
brianromel:

I've burnt the iso file into a cd and can boot from the cd,my problem is installing the os on my harddrive.
Unlike windows,it has no place that says install to harddrive.i have created a partition for it also,i just need to know how to install it to that partition as it does not run like windows when installing from a bootable xp installation cd.
i think it is a good idea to out with a linux distro like Ubuntu. installation is as easy as ABC.
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by netotse(m): 11:24pm On Apr 17, 2009
what are the specs for your computer?
why dont you try using vmware?if u hv up to 2gb ram
(u can use it to create virtual pc's within windows so u can create one and use the iso with it from inside windows) read up on virtualization if u're interested
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by brianromel(m): 11:33pm On Apr 17, 2009
My spec are pentium 3,20gb harddrive with 256 mb ram.
Vmware won't work cos i don't have up to 2gb ram.That's why i want to install the os.
The os is not ubuntu or puppy.its size is 637mb and its called auditor.I don't need ubuntu or puppy cos this os is got practically all i need to work with.
All i just need to know is how to install it.
I will try and get the gparted you recommended.
But please anyone who has worked with it and installed it on their system please let me know how u did it.
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by blackweaver(m): 8:13pm On Apr 18, 2009
i only suggested puppy 'cos it comes with gparted; i wasn't suggesting that you use it as a replacement.
also puppy linux livecd runs faster than gparted livecd since it loads the whole os into ram
how much free space do you have on your harddisk anyway? and what version of auditor do you have?

from what i've read about the os it seems it's based on knoppix; i do know that knoppix is not meant to be installed
even though there are probably ways to install it; i don't know about Auditor; if it's the kind of os i think it may
be it might require some decent hacking to get it running
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by flyuche(m): 11:09pm On Apr 18, 2009
@poster. from what i have read about the Auditor linux Security, you can run the cd without installing on your HDD if you know what you want to use the program for in the first place..  if i may ask, how did you come about the cd? there must be some installation guide from where you got it.
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by brianromel(m): 11:38pm On Apr 18, 2009
Well there is a guide on how to use it,but installing it,no guide on that.
Thats y i wanted to find a way to install it.
I need it for the tools it has on security and penetration testing"ethical h a c k i n g".
The latest version of auditor security collection is the one i've got before the renamed it backtrack of which its latest is BT3,which you can install on your harddisk.
Its just that the auditor sc OS has more tools than backtrack3 OS.Thats why i need to install auditor.
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by flyuche(m): 1:40am On Apr 19, 2009
@brian. it's a live cd: you can use it without installing. now i am wondering what you really need the cd for. tongue
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by brianromel(m): 10:31am On Apr 19, 2009
Nothing unethical just testing the parameters of certain security systems.
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by blackweaver(m): 6:02pm On Apr 21, 2009
if your issue is the time lag of loading from cd, there's a way using grub4dos
that you can use the os without having to use a cd; however you'll still be using it as a livecd
only from your harddisk and your changes won't be saved and it won't be as fast as if it
was actually installed; also what kernel does it use?
('cos if your partitons are ntfs and your kernel is 2.4.x or less you might have issues with that method (am not sure))
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by bigrovar(m): 9:58am On Apr 22, 2009
brianromel:

I'm in a bit of a fix,i'm trying to install a linux os on a system that already got xp installed.
The os is bootable only via cdrom,of which i'm getting tired of inserting the cd any time i need to run it.
I can't copy the bloody thing and run it on windows when i like,so i just have to asks,if any one knows how to install this linux OS.
Oh and the os is called auditor.

auditor is an ethical* hacker tool, its not something for the newbie, if you cant figure out how to install it , then its not meant for you. bitter truth
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by brianromel(m): 12:57pm On Apr 22, 2009
Thanks black weaver,i'll try that out.
Well bigrvoar,yes i know its for ethical hackers,but at least let someone that wants to learn,learn how to install it then move on to using it.
I'm already using some tools in it on my windows,but i just like to learn -LEARN - how to use it with auditor.
So please apart from the bitter truth,you got any way to help me out with installing it,or downloading another linux os that i can easily get all those tools.Then lets hear it.
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by bigrovar(m): 1:12pm On Apr 22, 2009
brianromel:

Thanks black weaver,i'll try that out.
Well bigrvoar,yes i know its for ethical hackers,but at least let someone that wants to learn,learn how to install it then move on to using it.
I'm already using some tools in it on my windows,but i just like to learn -LEARN - how to use it with auditor.
So please apart from the bitter truth,you got any way to help me out with installing it,or downloading another linux os that i can easily get all those tools.Then lets hear it.

why i said this is because for you to learn u have to start small, first know how to do the little thing before you jump to big stuff, its like learning to walk before you run, I dont know how good your understanding of linux is, but if you have very little, it would be best for you to try to first improve you understanding of how linux work by using a newbie friendly distro like ubuntu, than graduating onto greater things. but if u have an understanding of linux and how the linux community works, how about searching for the community and online documentation on auditor or try joining their mailing list or irc, u would get better help from there just my $0.2
Re: Mounting A Linux Os Without A Gui Installer. by blackweaver(m): 10:30pm On Apr 22, 2009
let me know if you want to go about that method so that i can give you more info; if so there should be a folder in your cd called isolinux
if you copy and paste conents of isoinux.cfg i could help you configure grub4dos so that you can boot (this is configuration in windows)

blackweaver:

('cos if your partitons are ntfs and your kernel is 2.4.x or less you might have issues with that method (am not sure))

in retropect i realise that since you'll probably be running the os as a liveos you shouldn't have any problem even witrh ntfs filesystems

(1) (Reply)

A Malfunctioning Cd Drive / Where Can I Buy A Macbook In Nigeria?! / Help: Windows XP Is Counterfeit!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.