Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,936 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! (28605 Views)

Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent / How Social Media Slang Is Affecting Your Learning Skills / High Cost Of Braille Machines Is Affecting The Education Of The Blind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by bossto(m): 1:48pm On Sep 26, 2015
I have an accent that has been discouraging me to the extent that i'm too shy to speak in the public.

For instance,"light and night" sound alike to me, I mean i can't differentiate them perfectly, but whenever I converse with my friends or put those aforementioned words in sentences, they (my friends) do not correct me...But I always doubt if I had pronounced them correctly.

Other words I have problem in differentiating are: snap/slap, lame/name. Though no one has corrected me on these.

So the main issue here is "IS THERE MUCH DIFFERENCE IN THEIR SOUNDS?
Pls be honest!!

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by WorldGreatest1(m): 1:49pm On Sep 26, 2015
Yes. shocked

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! cheesy

I made it. angry

Guess what? tongue

FTC!!! cheesy shocked
**walks into stage**
I want to use this medium to say congratulations to myself and a big thank you to all who made this seemingly insurmountable feat surmountable. Many thanks to my pastor who prayed earnestly for me to achieve this and to my parents and sibilings who stood by me despite the trying times. Much love to my fiancée and the NL family for your support and to MTN kudos!!!
**walks off the stage**

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ernesty20(m): 1:51pm On Sep 26, 2015
Are u from the north?

Second to comment!!!

8 Likes

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by kossyablaze(m): 1:52pm On Sep 26, 2015
Sorry bro

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by jamex93(m): 1:52pm On Sep 26, 2015
This one strong o

1 Like

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by kossyablaze(m): 1:53pm On Sep 26, 2015
ernesty20:
Are u from the north?
lol.... Nigerians! Always answer questions with questions.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ernesty20(m): 1:58pm On Sep 26, 2015
kossyablaze:
lol.... Nigerians! Always answer questions with questions.
i am asking cos i know people from that side pronounce words

3 Likes

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Akosxxx(m): 2:04pm On Sep 26, 2015
go get a dictionary & watch alot of American mpvies. guess tha ll help

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by rotexteymie(f): 2:05pm On Sep 26, 2015
Ok there's much difference
I don't think you have a problem here since you've been able to identify them

You should spend more time trying to pronounce those letters eg...N and L
From there proceed to words that begins with them....then start using them in sentences

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by OCTAVO: 2:11pm On Sep 26, 2015
I can see that two alphabets are your problem "L" and"N". Work on pronunciation of these two alphabets distinctly.

5 Likes

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ikbnice(m): 2:12pm On Sep 26, 2015
once u identify a problem, it isnt a problem anymore 'cuz u hav half-solved it. U hav to retrain your tongue in pronouncing words those two letters-L and N. You can get the help of a friend or use a dictionary with audio pronunciation.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by osesology(m): 2:14pm On Sep 26, 2015
I have only this to say: watch and listen to news more, both on t.v and radio and pay less attention to slangs used in movies and music (especially naija movies and black American films)
But if your accent doesn't change for the better, then I'll suggest you hire the services of a private oral teacher.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Niyeal(m): 3:10pm On Sep 26, 2015
Not only u Op. I hav similar problem, any word ending wit -TION such as education, information, correction etc become difcot for me to pronunce because d tion wil sound like son sun etc. And am a teacher who use d words frequently. People do laf at me but i dont really care.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by bossto(m): 3:11pm On Sep 26, 2015
rotexteymie:
Ok there's much difference
I don't think you have a problem here since you've been able to identify them

You should spend more time trying to pronounce those letters eg...N and L
From there proceed to words that begins with them....then start using them in sentences
Thanks,but honestly i have tried so hard to differentiate them

2 Likes

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by bossto(m): 3:17pm On Sep 26, 2015
Akosxxx:
thanks bro!!
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by rotexteymie(f): 3:19pm On Sep 26, 2015
bossto:
Thanks,but honestly i have tried so hard to differentiate them
Maybe cos you believe you can never get it right....KEEP TRYING and be optimistic about it....
You'll thank me later! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by bossto(m): 3:29pm On Sep 26, 2015
ikbnice:
once u identify a problem, it isnt a problem anymore 'cuz u hav half-solved it. U hav to retrain your tongue in pronouncing words those two letters-L and N. You can get the help of a friend or use a dictionary with audio pronunciation.
thanks,i wil do jus that
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by bossto(m): 3:43pm On Sep 26, 2015
rotexteymie:

Maybe cos you believe you can never get it right....KEEP TRYING and be optimistic about it....
You'll thank me later! grin
i can still get it right?
thankin u already!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by rotexteymie(f): 3:52pm On Sep 26, 2015
bossto:
i can still get it right?
thankin u already!!
Yea sure....
You're welcome grin

2 Likes

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 26, 2015
I think British movies would be better.

@Op,i suggest that you watch news,especially CNN and BBC,and also read your dictionary during your leisure time.
Akosxxx:
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by okooloyun1(m): 4:16pm On Sep 26, 2015
It's well with you bro
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by adonbilivit: 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2015
start talking in public o. u can't attain perfection if u don't practice and make mistakes

5 Likes

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by kennyman2000(m): 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2015
Hmmm.. If nobody didnt correct u. That means, u're right.. Afterall, president buhari seems to have same problem but he never see it as anything neither does he cares if someone correct him or not.. Today, he's ur president..

Check my signature for ur customised wristband
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Goddygee(m): 4:18pm On Sep 26, 2015
Jst here 2 b00k space
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 26, 2015
sorry.

1 Like

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by ShakurM(m): 4:18pm On Sep 26, 2015
Don't worry, If Buhari with his accent is the president of Nigeria, you will make it!..

10 Likes

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by sukkot: 4:18pm On Sep 26, 2015
hmm wahala dey
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by YerYer: 4:18pm On Sep 26, 2015
Practice makes perfect. Write down words you are having difficulty with then form sentences with them. Read those sentences out loud while in the bathroom and looking at the mirror. Give practice speeches in front of friends and family members and ask for their honest opinions. Watch more English movies, you will learn how to articulate your words better. You might want to stop hanging out with people who speak terribly as well. If none of these help, then seek out a professional Speech Language Pathologist if you can afford it.

Good luck.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 26, 2015
Akosxxx:
Not even British movies? Theirs is best in the world not America that uses slangs like " am gonna" instead of " am going"

1 Like

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by HungerBAD: 4:20pm On Sep 26, 2015
It is well.

1 Like

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 26, 2015
Niyeal:
Not only u Op. I hav similar problem, any word ending wit -TION such as education, information, correction etc become difcot for me to pronunce because d tion wil sound like son sun etc. And am a teacher who use d words frequently. People do laf at me but i dont really care.

It's called interference from your mother tongue. No mind them jare.

3 Likes

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by prittyboi(m): 4:21pm On Sep 26, 2015
Niyeal:

Re u from IBADAN

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB / ABUAD Beats Covenant University; Ranks As Best Private University In Nigeria / My Wassce Result With No Expo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.