Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! (28597 Views)

Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent / How Social Media Slang Is Affecting Your Learning Skills / High Cost Of Braille Machines Is Affecting The Education Of The Blind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by soleexx(m): 5:54pm On Sep 26, 2015
Very Easy...is not up to thing that we remove cutlass to!...just watch American movies...especially blacks gangsters movies...it will help
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 26, 2015
YoungDaNaval:
I once had similar problem in terms of pronounciation too. Mine was W for R. For example, I do pronounce "Rat" as "Wat", "Rest" as "West", "Read" as "rWed". But not anymore. All to frndz sha. Dem rude die. Omo dem yab sote nobi person tell me to change by force!
See as I dey laugh inside bus.. grin
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 26, 2015
asuustrike2009:

Not even British movies? Theirs is best in the world not America that uses slangs like " am gonna" instead of " am going"

who says the British don't interchange 'gonna' for 'going' as well?
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by YoungDaNaval(m): 6:03pm On Sep 26, 2015
Oyind17:

See as I dey laugh inside bus.. grin
lol wetin dey make u laugh na? Na correct phonee ah dey speak now oh
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 26, 2015
YoungDaNaval:
lol wetin dey make u laugh na? Na correct phonee ah dey speak now oh
Don't mind me jare, Lol.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by YoungDaNaval(m): 6:06pm On Sep 26, 2015
Mogidi:

There's hope bro, Buhari can hardly string two sentences together yet he is the president of Nigeria because of Kwarruption.
Lwkmd
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by flokii: 6:07pm On Sep 26, 2015
bossto:
I have an accent that has been discouraging me to the extent that i'm too shy to speak in the public.

For instance,"light and night" sound alike to me, I mean i can't differentiate them perfectly, but whenever I converse with my friends or put those aforementioned words in sentences, they (my friends) do not correct me...But I always doubt if I had pronounced them correctly.

Other words I have problem in differentiating are: snap/slap, lame/name. Though no one has corrected me on these.

So the main issue here is "IS THERE MUCH DIFFERENCE IN THEIR SOUNDS?
Pls be honest!!

grin grin

you need serious beating

1 Like

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by YoungDaNaval(m): 6:07pm On Sep 26, 2015
arixsto2:
nait and lait abi
let your flat top of your tongue torch the back of your front tooth and drop it backward a bit- to pronounce - Night.

as for Light.
let the back of your tip tongue torch the back of your tooth and drop release your tongue backwsrd .

am not an expert. I hope it help sha.
Lmao Oga diz 1 go hard oh!
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by spartoo: 6:09pm On Sep 26, 2015
kossyablaze:
lol.... Nigerians! Always answer questions with questions.

Martial no score today oo sad
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by YoungDaNaval(m): 6:09pm On Sep 26, 2015
SmartMugu:
If "night", and "light" mean the same thing to you, I'm sure many other words would be. I'd say ure probably better off talking in the dialect you're comfortable with. After all, it's all about communication.
Gbam! Buhari is a example
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Lanceslot(m): 6:16pm On Sep 26, 2015
ernesty20:
Are u from the north?

Second to comment!!!
You mean its fifle prom north dat sounds that way?
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by baloney: 6:16pm On Sep 26, 2015
work on your accent, with practice you overcome & don't be in a hurry, it won't change over nite
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by tonychristopher: 6:19pm On Sep 26, 2015
bossto:
I have an accent that has been discouraging me to the extent that i'm too shy to speak in the public.

For instance,"light and night" sound alike to me, I mean i can't differentiate them perfectly, but whenever I converse with my friends or put those aforementioned words in sentences, they (my friends) do not correct me...But I always doubt if I had pronounced them correctly.

Other words I have problem in differentiating are: snap/slap, lame/name. Though no one has corrected me on these.

Pls be honest!!

Now let me lecture you ..everybody in this world speak accented English ..that is why when an English man speaks you will know when an American man spekas you will know when a Jamaican speaks you will know when an Igbo man speaks you will know when a Yoruba man speaks you will know when an Aussie speaks you will know even when a French man spekas English like arsene Wenger you will also know

Don't worry about accent just learn pronunciation that's all

Accent doesn't put food on our table what put foods is intellects ask dangote

So relax
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by tonychristopher: 6:21pm On Sep 26, 2015
YoungDaNaval:
Lmao Oga diz 1 go hard oh!

Is the OP from Nigeria if yes which tribe from there we can ascertain his accent
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Lanceslot(m): 6:21pm On Sep 26, 2015
Niyeal:
Not only u Op. I hav similar problem, any word ending wit -TION such as education, information, correction etc become difcot for me to pronunce because d tion wil sound like son sun etc. And am a teacher who use d words frequently. People do laf at me but i dont really care.
Are you from Ibadan?
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by odion81(f): 6:25pm On Sep 26, 2015
As a teacher who teaches Phonics ( the sound of alphabet letters) .I will advise you to go back and which sound does each alphabet make
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Fredzy7(m): 6:34pm On Sep 26, 2015
You have this pnobrem and you are here on lairanand instead of you to be watching American, LOL, I am 90.9% sure you are an igbo guy

ON A SERIOUS NOTE
I used to have the problem with "h" instead of head I would say "ed" and vice versa but where I schooled you don't get to do anything odd without people bashing you so I learnt the hard way...... Look on the bright side though at least your problem is with pronunciation, not grammar
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by kossyablaze(m): 6:38pm On Sep 26, 2015
spartoo:

Martial no score today oo sad
I Don cry tire... My 10k Don go

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by paix(m): 6:40pm On Sep 26, 2015
ernesty20:
Are u from the north?
He's from Benue state, idoma to be precise.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by adusco(m): 7:06pm On Sep 26, 2015
rotexteymie:
Ok there's much difference
I don't think you have a problem here since you've been able to identify them

You should spend more time trying to pronounce those letters eg...N and L
From there proceed to words that begins with them....then start using them in sentences

i recommend this for you.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Emasel(m): 7:25pm On Sep 26, 2015
bossto:

Pls be honest!!

Doh, you must be an Urhobo.

Try to practise pronouncing them correctly, with time you'll get used to them.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by naijamakossa(m): 7:27pm On Sep 26, 2015
every morning use hot water 100decree census ,drink half and wash ur mouth with d remaining half,,tank me later.I am a victim of dis same so I knw wat I mean.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Salym(m): 7:39pm On Sep 26, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
I doubt you're telling the truth. How come you're able to know you mistake one word for another when you claim your friends don't draw your attention to the mistakes? Those whom I know that have that problem don't notice it. To them, they're saying the right thing but found themselves in such a situation because of their ethnic group. For example some Hause people mistake "p" for "b" vice vice versa. For some Yoruba, they mistake "f" for "v" vice versa. For some Igbo, they mistake "l" for "r" vice versa. These people hardly anything wrong in their speeches, if at all they notice it.
What I find annoying about your post is the fact that you either knowingly or mistakenly used the word some in the case of Yorubas and Igbos but omitted same in the case of Hausas.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by egbaguy: 7:43pm On Sep 26, 2015
I guess u re frm benue state......just like one guy I met in kano,his name nah odah,benue guy......
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by oladapolif: 7:51pm On Sep 26, 2015
same problem too, but u need to read novels.. the more read, the more u become secure with your English... you will speak without been shy in public... Trust me, its works for me..

bossto:

Pls be honest!!
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Bigii(m): 7:59pm On Sep 26, 2015
Are you from Anambra
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 26, 2015
Me too. But sometimes the Americans' is filled up with too many slangs.
Akosxxx:

personally i like the way the americans speak their english. mmuah!. british s gud too especially their little kids accent
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by phyness(m): 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2015
I have a similar problem bt mine is L & R
Lyk Please wil sounds like Prease while Light sounds like Night
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Edipee(m): 8:32pm On Sep 26, 2015
Buy a diction disc used by nursery school teachers and pupils.
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Lamasta(m): 8:43pm On Sep 26, 2015
WorldGreatest1:
Yes. shocked

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! cheesy

I made it. angry

Guess what? tongue

FTC!!! cheesy shocked
**walks into stage**
I want to use this medium to say congratulations to myself and a big thank you to all who made this seemingly insurmountable feat surmountable. Many thanks to my pastor who prayed earnestly for me to achieve this and to my parents and sibilings who stood by me despite the trying times. Much love to my fiancée and the NL family for your support and to MTN kudos!!!
**walks off the stage**
Is that all you can contribute??
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by Lamasta(m): 8:48pm On Sep 26, 2015
bossto:

Pls be honest!!
What I observe from your issue above is that your self esteem is low so start reading motivational books and I bet you, You will come back and thank me....Start with this book `There is a place called tommorrow by HABU DAWAKI``
Re: My Accent Is Affecting Me Acedemically,pls Help!!! by aameyah(f): 8:55pm On Sep 26, 2015
Niyeal:
Not only u Op. I hav similar problem, any word ending wit -TION such as education, information, correction etc become difcot for me to pronunce because d tion wil sound like son sun etc. And am a teacher who use d words frequently. People do laf at me but i dont really care.

You should care. As a teacher, you should be very much interested in unlearning and relearning.
You can work on it....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help I Got Into A Fight With A Cultist / Akomolafe Olatunji, Nigerian Philantropist, Donates To 300 Kids In South Africa / My Wassce Result With No Expo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.