Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,389 members, 7,781,117 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:17 AM

Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! (5023 Views)

Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering / How To Cool An Overheated Engine (Photos) / My Car Has Been Stolen In Maitama Abuja(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 26, 2015
My camry just overheated. Thankfully I was a bit close to my house. It was so hot that the engine tripped off and I had to park at the side of the road. Now I tried starting it after 1hr. It's just rollling..no sign of kicking.

Pls has anyone experienced this? Pls help me with suggestions. Hhow can I get my car alive again?
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by inze(m): 7:53pm On Sep 26, 2015
obitee69:
My camry just overheated. Thankfully I was a bit close to my house. It was so hot that the engine tripped off and I had to park at the side of the road. Now I tried starting it after 1hr. It's just rollling..no sign of kicking.

Pls has anyone experienced this? Pls help me with suggestions. Hhow can I get my car alive again?

oh dear, hope its not the 'pimping' that got the Camry to overheat
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Sep 26, 2015
inze:

Very funny guy. Mayb I forgot to tighten the radiator cap cos when I opened the hood. I found it were the battery is.
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Melahou(m): 8:06pm On Sep 26, 2015
One of the fuse in the fuse box has burnt.
Check them one after the other, then charge or use a copper to align it together
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by inze(m): 8:07pm On Sep 26, 2015
obitee69:

Very funny guy. Mayb I forgot to tighten the radiator cap cos when I opened the hood. I found it were the battery is.

. . . maybe that's where the problem is or maybe not. What made you open the radiator cap in the first place? Anyway, that's medicine after death but For now, open the hood to allow air flow into the engine. When the vehicle is cool, tighten the radiator cap properly and give it a go once again.

These are more maybe the reason for your vehicle overheat, have it checked if you find any of the following culprit:

- radiator leaking
- radiator is clogged
- thermostat stuck or missing
- one or both of your fan not working

Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 26, 2015
inze:

. . . maybe that's where the problem is or maybe not. What made you open the radiator cap in the first place? Anyway, that's medicine after death but For now, open the hood to allow air flow into the engine. When the vehicle is cool, tighten the radiator cap properly and give it a go once again.

These are more maybe the reason for your vehicle overheat, have it checked if you find any of the following culprit:

- radiator leaking
- radiator is clogged

I waited for the engine to cool down for about 40mins..tried it and it refused to start. A mech said it's still hot inside. That I shud chill till 2mao and add water and try and restart it
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 26, 2015
If an engine has run hot to the point it cuts out, and won't start after it has been allowed to cool down, then it's possible the engine has lost compression, due to:

Blown cylinder head gasket.
Cracked cylinder head.
Cracked cylinder block.
Burnt-out exhaust valves.
Melted piston.
Piston rings stuck in piston grooves (ringlands).

Tell me something pal, and don't take this the wrong way, I'm simply trying to understand...didn't you notice your temperature gauge in the red zone, probably peaking at max? Why would you continue driving the car if it was running that hot?

1 Like

Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Pamelayoung: 8:43pm On Sep 26, 2015
Next time always monitor d temp. While driving. Good luck 2u.
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 26, 2015
Siena:
If an engine has run hot to the point it cuts out, and won't start after it has been allowed to cool down, then it's possible the engine has lost compression, due to:

Blown cylinder head gasket.
Cracked cylinder head.
Cracked cylinder block.
Burnt-out exhaust valves.
Melted piston.
Piston rings stuck in piston grooves (ringlands).

Tell me something pal, and don't take this the wrong way, I'm simply trying to understand...didn't you notice your temperature gauge in the red zone, probably peaking at max? Why would you continue driving the car if it was running that hot?

Wow I have no idea. I was on top speed and was driving with a friend. Tanks Siena. embarassed
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:38pm On Sep 26, 2015
obitee69:

Blown head gasket, or worse cracked cylinder.

You might have lost that engine. Get a good mechanic to overhaul it. Do not pour water inside before trying to start it when cool, start without water if it starts fine, shut it down and add water if it does not, just tow it to your mechanics place. Water will just find its way into the combustion area or engine oil, and you might end up with a bad starter motor due to a hydro lock or a battery that might explode. Siena is so on point.
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 27, 2015
obitee69:

Wow I have no idea. I was on top speed and was driving with a friend. Tanks Siena. embarassed

Dude get a new engine and thank us later
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 8:53am On Sep 27, 2015
noxide:

Dude get a new engine and thank us later

So a car that overheats just once needs an new engine. Oga I hear u
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 27, 2015
obitee69:

From what caused this overheating and the damage likely sustained I think you'll be better off with a new engine.

Your car could start later on as if nothing happened but you'll notice it overheats as if there's no radiator. I've never seen a car in Nigeria that worked near normal after the engine tripped off following a racing + overheating session. Yours could be the first smiley

Feel free to fix the engine, but get a good mech for the job

1 Like

Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by chukel(m): 10:48am On Sep 27, 2015
Obitee69, na only u waka come? Kai. I hope say that friend u carry no be woman. Cos I kn what you bankers can do. Sry bro. Has it started? U may need a new engine o
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 27, 2015
obitee69:

I think you're simply reading what you want to hear, or else you're simply skimming responses, and taking nothing in.

Any engine is repairable, given the right technical knowledge, and funds. Your engine was run hot to the point it actually lost compression, then died. YOU saw dash warnings, yet chose to ignore them. YOU are now paying the price of ignorance, and not liking what you see, and realise.

Your response here reeks of sarcasm. Bro, you're the one with a bust engine, who needs advice on the best way forward. No one else, just you. I would listen to advise, and do what needs to be done to get your car up and running once more.

Given the average Nigerian technician's penchant for getting even the most basic things completely wrong, I would NOT trust them with a motorised wheel barrow. True, there are shops outside the Toyota Dealer Network who could rebuild your engine, but at a price YOU would not be willing to pay. You want to pay peanuts, yet get the best. No dice, bro.

It is due to the complications that could arise from a rebuild, not to talk of the labour intensive nature of such a build (and subsequent cost) that well-meaning folk here are advising you to simply get a replacement engine, throw it in and call it a day. Hopefully next time, you would not see your instrument cluster warnings, and simply dismiss them for whatever reason. Ignorance is no excuse, the warning lights / messages on your dash / instrument cluster are there for a reason, not to look pretty.

Good luck getting your car straightened out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:43am On Sep 27, 2015
Siena:

I think you're simply reading what you want to hear, or else you're simply skimming responses, and taking nothing in.

Any engine is repairable, given the right technical knowledge, and funds. Your engine was run hot to the point it actually lost compression, then died. YOU saw dash warnings, yet chose to ignore them. YOU are now paying the price of ignorance, and not liking what you see, and realise.

Your response here reeks of sarcasm. Bro, you're the one with a bust engine, who needs advice on the best way forward. No one else, just you. I would listen to advise, and do what needs to become to get your car up and running once more.

Given the average Nigerian technician's penchant for getting even the most basic things completely wrong, I would NOT trust them with a motorised wheel barrow. True, there are shops outside the Toyota Dealer Network who could rebuild your engine, but at a price YOU would not be willing to pay. You want to pay peanuts, yet get the best. No dice, bro.

It is due to the complications that could arise from a rebuild, not to talk of the labour intensive nature of such a build (and subsequent cost) that well-meaning folk here are advising you to simply get a replacement engine, throw it in and call it a day. Hopefully next time, you would not see your instrument cluster warnings, and simply dismiss them for whatever reason. Ignorance is no excuse, the warning lights / messages on your dash / instrument cluster are there for a reason, not to look pretty.

Good luck getting your car straightened out.

The instrument cluster of a car is to a driver what the cockpit of a plane is to a pilot, ignore at your risk!

Gauges are your eyes into whats happening under the hood, peek at them every now and then and react as appropriate.

Nigerian technicians of the unschooled variety claim that they like to wire the fans directly because it will prevent the engine from overheating in a scenario as described above, and that is also another reason they give for deleting the thermostat.

But my personal experience is that if you run low on coolant or have a faulty water pump or radiator or leaking hoses, the vehicle will still overheat even with those modifications, so the best way is to pay attention to the instrumentation, and don't drive blind!

And if begins to overheat, just stop and do a thorough check to determine the source/fault and rectify before continuing your journey otherwise, your pocket will bleed and you will be sorry.

1 Like

Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by 9icetoo(m): 7:59pm On Sep 27, 2015
Since the vehicle was driven until the engine shut down and you lost all the coolant in the engine because the radiator cap wasn't properly fitted, then I can almost guarantee you that the head gasket is toast. If the engine is able to start again, it will just be a matter of time before you start seeing an oil and water mix in your radiator.
If it's just a head gasket issue, then you don't have a problem as long as the mechanic who is doing the job gets the timing right. Failure to do that and your valves will bend beyond recognition.
The best way to restart an overheated vehicle is to open the hood first and allow it cool for at least an hour.
Restart without adding water. If it starts, shut down and allow to cool further before adding water. If it fails to start, tow away so you don't do more damage.
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by ogawisdom(m): 8:08pm On Sep 27, 2015
Op no b this ur recently pimped car u dey talk off chai sorry ooo. If d car cooled down for 2hrs min n won't start then ur pocket is in trouble. Dnt waste ur money rebuilding d engine get a toks engine n learn ur lesson. Never keep driving an overheating engine undecided
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 27, 2015
9icetoo:
Since the vehicle was driven until the engine shut down and you lost all the coolant in the engine because the radiator cap wasn't properly fitted, then I can almost guarantee you that the head gasket is toast. If the engine is able to start again, it will just be a matter of time before you start seeing an oil and water mix in your radiator.
If it's just a head gasket issue, then you don't have a problem as long as the mechanic who is doing the job gets the timing right. Failure to do that and your valves will bend beyond recognition.
The best way to restart an overheated vehicle is to open the hood first and allow it cool for at least an hour.
Restart without adding water. If it starts, shut down and allow to cool further before adding water. If it fails to start, tow away so you don't do more damage.

First person that has made a reasonable amount of sense without any unwarranted blame or attack. Thanks bro
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 27, 2015
ogawisdom:
Op no b this ur recently pimped car u dey talk off chai sorry ooo. If d car cooled down for 2hrs min n won't start then ur pocket is in trouble. Dnt waste ur money rebuilding d engine get a toks engine n learn ur lesson. Never keep driving an overheating engine undecided

Thanks
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 27, 2015
obitee69:

First person that has made a reasonable amount of sense without any unwarranted blame or attack. Thanks bro

No. You've simply sifted through responses, and latched onto what sits best with you. I guess my comments are senseless. Well, tough. I say things as they are, not what the other party would like to hear.

No one's attacking you, and even if they are, then take it on the chin and learn some lessons from the carnage. Because like it or not, YOU chose to toast your engine. Now you've got to pay the price.
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by abatically(m): 10:42pm On Sep 27, 2015
inze:

- radiator leaking
- radiator is clogged

Long story. The engine overheated because he forgot to tighten the radiator cap. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by nurey(m): 8:18am On Sep 28, 2015
obitee69:

I have experienced this just recently and I have been watching this thread closely, I don't know how Identical our engine is (interms of concept of build, nissan-engine).
1. your gasket is gone and the way to identify this is when you turn the ignitio not crank it, the temp guage jumps to the middle straight away.

2. I don't know how complicated your engine Is but you need a guru to fix your gasket first and then put everything back and if the engine components aren't affected, the car will start.

3. The only issue you may have is hard starting sometimes confimed this when a 2012 cerato also over heated and my nissan almera also had this issue for 3days before it normalized and does it once in a while. The reason for hard starting is that the pistons were getting stucked, so compression was low.

4. Depending on th extent of damage, your car engine may not be able to carry much load. I noticed after my car was fixed, AC was a no no, if I switch on headlamp, the rev starts to misbehave, radio, the engin will indicate I have Sha on something, then after 2weeks of use, things began to normalize.

When you crank the car and hear this wush sound, like air escaping through thin space, your gasket is is goner.

If you also hear KPOM sound, then remember every dissapointment is is blessing. Goodluck
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:46am On Sep 28, 2015
nurey:

1. your gasket is gone and the way to identify this is when you turn the ignitio not crank it, the temp guage jumps to the middle straight away.

That's not normal. You might have a damaged CTS consider replacing it.
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by nurey(m): 9:59am On Sep 28, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

That's not normal. You might have a damaged CTS consider replacing it.

I don't think so. Before the overheating issue, I guess the gasket was already faulty, so when you start the car, the temp guage jumps to middle straight, which I know is not normal, so after the gasket fix, the guage rises steadily as it should now.
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 28, 2015
inze:

lol the radiator was pimped to achieve a result like this. grin

Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 29, 2015
My car just came out today! Yippie! I changed thhe headgasket. The heat didn't get to d valves or rings. It labour intensive and took 2days. I had to drain my oil and change it. I replaced my spark plugs too cos water entered them, smoothened the cylinder heads too. Thanks for ur advice cos with all your suggestions I was able to speak up and challenge the mechs with confidence. Cheers my eyes on the dashboard from now on!
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by 9icetoo(m): 6:22pm On Sep 29, 2015
obitee69:
My car just came out today! Yippie! I changed thhe headgasket. The heat didn't get to d valves or rings. It labour intensive and took 2days. I had to drain my oil and change it. I replaced my spark plugs too cos water entered them, smoothened the cylinder heads too. Thanks for ur advice cos with all your suggestions I was able to speak up and challenge the mechs with confidence. Cheers my eyes on the dashboard from now on!
Enjoy your ride.
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:47pm On Sep 29, 2015
obitee69:

Happy for you.

First thing run a scan again.
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by nurey(m): 7:33pm On Sep 29, 2015
obitee69:

Since have been in your shoes, I know how it feels. So where is the party holding to celebrate no change of engine. lol
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 29, 2015
nurey:

Since have been in your shoes, I know how it feels. So where is the party holding to celebrate no change of engine. lol

Yes o. I thank God no be engine knock. So happy
Re: Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 29, 2015
Congrats.. I feel tho that there is no love btw 2 Nairaland users on this thread. God will help us.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Tundra Or Tacoma ..... Help Me Choose / How Often Should One Run A Diagnostic Test On A Car / Peugeot 508, have your say

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.