Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage (37288 Views)

The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / Make-Up Free Photo Of Ola Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife, Shows Her Tribal Marks / In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 10:13am On Oct 31, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
honey,i don't cat fight...I might just rip you apart and that will ruin my Oscar De La Renta dress...btw,your body and mouth odour if placed in a room with you,with your unshaved and smelly pvssy with all em trick daddies's cum stuck on em you sure don't wash well may just be all the weapons you got...who wouldn't be affected by that...sure i am long on talk with all you got going on...who said i was intelligent...oh puleeaaaze,you my fan now?So i am in my mode today...i am running late for an important meeting,off to close on an important deal...stay on nairaland all day dear and look pretty,ok.You can stay on my mention.i repeat,i don't cat fight,i am not big on pleasantries with cheap bottom b*tches...i don't have the time for cute little girl talk,i am a very busyhis little back and forth.
Please use the right punctuation and try as much as possible to make it more legible.

Thanks.

I don't fight Low lifers rather i save my enegy for the bulls on politics section.

I will work on the pvssy and mouth odour though grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by stevecantrell: 10:32pm On Nov 01, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

I will work on the pvssy and mouth odour though grin
Dude, I dont know how anyone could mistake you for a female....silly dude grin
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 10:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
stevecantrell:

I don't even know how anyone can mistake me for a dude grin

I take on everyone without looking at my gender
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by stevecantrell: 6:26am On Nov 02, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
I don't even know how anyone can mistake me for a dude grin

I take on everyone without looking at my gender

Ok ok play smart ... hermaphrodite !

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 02, 2017
stevecantrell:

Ok ok play smart ... hermaphrodite !
hey Babe! how are you? one thang i know fo'sure,himshe's one dumb b*tch...she's so tacky!Talking about discussing politics like the validation she needs for her pitiful existence!Hey yo,where my own fool/jester QueenOfNepal @? come play sport for me and Stevecantrell...its been a hectic week and we need to be entertained!While at it why don't you pick of on my grammatical errors...i will pay you handsomely.Btw you gotta recognise you need our blessings to be anything here...Its better you take up the responsibility of my own official little fool here than have the little boys that sends you airtime to sleep with you...afterall,you may be my fool but it will get you off the streets
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 02, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
hey Babe! how are you? one thang i know fo'sure,himshe's one dumb b*tch...she's so tacky!Talking about discussing politics like the validation she needs for her pityful existence!Hey yo,where my own fool/jester QueenOfNepal @? come play sport for me and Stevecantrell...its been a hectic week and we need to be entertained!While at it why don't you pick of on my grammatical errors...i will pay you handsomely.Btw you gotta recognise you need our blessings to be anything here...Its better you take up the responsibility of my own official little fool here than have the little boys that sends you airtime to sleep with you...afterall,you may be my fool but it will get you off the streets
Anaekwugheri

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by stevecantrell: 4:15pm On Nov 02, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
hey Babe! how are you? one thang i know fo'sure,himshe's one dumb b*tch...she's so tacky!Talking about discussing politics like the validation she needs for her pitiful existence!Hey yo,where my own fool/jester QueenOfNepal @? come play sport for me and Stevecantrell...its been a hectic week and we need to be entertained!While at it why don't you pick of on my grammatical errors...i will pay you handsomely.Btw you gotta recognise you need our blessings to be anything here...Its better you take up the responsibility of my own official little fool here than have the little boys that sends you airtime to sleep with you...afterall,you may be my fool but it will get you off the streets

Indeed, its been hectic....lets hookup here tomorrow night..

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 02, 2017
stevecantrell:

Indeed, its been hectic....lets hookup here tomorrow night..

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by elsomm(m): 2:16pm On Nov 08, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
smiley..a gal like me no need to force marriage on any man nah...marriage proposals I have quadruples that your average Igbo chick may never dream of having...sides the issue bothers on love

Seems your point is not to know why but to paint the Igbos black, proud and tribal bigots. But then, we are used to that. All the points raised that Yorubas prefer their own same with Hausa, you never refuted nor bothered to talk on that.

Maybe if you will open minded, I may say own thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by elsomm(m): 2:23pm On Nov 08, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
eh mehn,take a chill pill...your shoulders just hunched on hearing I am part Yoruba..on the low..guys on queue for me to wife them am taking my time on choosing..*I am yet to decide on being with a naij man*..

Wow...you should be proud of yourself. You even discriminate against all Naija men? Isn't that hypocritical on your part considering your topic?
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by elsomm(m): 2:25pm On Nov 08, 2017
stevecantrell:

Woman wrapper
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by elsomm(m): 2:26pm On Nov 08, 2017
stevecantrell:

Woman wrapper
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by elsomm(m): 2:59pm On Nov 08, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
Why,thank you too Mr Speaker...Lmao..quite a passionate submission there..but I have never been a bigot or Igbo hater and thank you for stating your notable points..I for one share the same sentiments and its noteworthy Azikiwe was married to a non-igbo..thing is lately Igbo bigotry has deepened..question is has the threat of secession contributed in any way to the current wave of bigotry?

What's your point? Politics or love? or u just want to prove Igbos are bigoted anyways? Make a point and stand on it. Quit swinging. Moreover, you got it all wrong

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 08, 2017
elsomm:

Woman wrapper
somewhere in CrustandSea's thread you profess falling in love and now this?Quit it already and stop being disrespectful to SteveCantrell.You are not half the man he is...he is every inch a fine gentleman;back off
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by stevecantrell: 7:56am On Nov 17, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
somewhere in CrustandSea's thread you profess falling in love and now this?Quit it already and stop being disrespectful to SteveCantrell.You are not half the man he is...he is every inch a fine gentleman;back off

Thanks blaqcoffee109 but I dont see the need to return fire when the unfortunate fellow is shooting blanks...
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 17, 2017
stevecantrell:

Thanks blaqcoffee109 but I dont see the need to return fire when the unfortunate fellow is shooting blanks...
hey you!
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by stevecantrell: 2:26pm On Nov 17, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
hey you!
'Sup
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 17, 2017
stevecantrell:

'Sup
am good...what you been up to?where you been?
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by stevecantrell: 8:33pm On Nov 17, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
am good...what you been up to?where you been?

Kinda busy lately....some personal ish..
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 18, 2017
stevecantrell:

Kinda busy lately....some personal ish..
cool...
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by laudate: 4:13pm On Nov 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

The only tribe who will have issues with living in the east is the Yoruba because they are hardly independent minded and enterprising enough to travel outside their region to survive. Also, many are discouraged by the tough competition that must be going on in the east, given the tough competition the Igbos are giving in Lagos and other SW states already. Then also, some Yorubas also carry so many false impressions about the Igbos or Igboland in general and hardly ever travel out to visit other areas, especially Igboland. Igboland is some mysterious Island, some unthinkable place where aliens live and land is scarce. cheesy Many Yoruba corpers who are posted to the east redeploy back to the west after camping, even when nobody is pursuing them. They redeploy just because they want to go back to their zone, where they feel comfortable in. On the other hand, Hausas, Ibibios etc have no issue at all migrating to the east to live. In the East, you'll find thousands, if not millions, of Hausas living and doing their businesses peacefully. Many of them have been allocated lands which they established their own community and some of them speak fluent Igbo.

The crux of the matter is that the average yoruba man feels insecure when he is outside of his own region. He doesn't feel comfortable when he is not in the midst of his own people. The ones that travel to the north happen to be muslims and fitting in in the north is not an issue for them. It is not an issue of not feeling comfortable in the east. Lots of non-Igbos are residing peacefully in the east.

Here is a perfect example of generalisation and stereotyping raised to the nth degree! sad
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by laudate: 4:15pm On Nov 18, 2017
You dey mind am.The igbo habit of travelling is not because they naturally are,its due to circumstances.Prior to the civil war,how many igbos were outside the country.Ijebu people have been travelling outside the Yoruba kingdom to do business before Nigeria was even formed

Back to his alaigbo-made claim that yorubas are hardly independent/enterprising .I'm still wondering where he got the notion that igbos are more enterprising than Yorubas.Do i need to be a trader for you to consider me independent? Are freelancers relying on Government?

Are yoruba bricklayers, carpenters, vulcanizers, taxi drivers collecting money from government?

What is the difference between the so-called "independent" traders and the ones i mentioned above?

Are we saying there are no igbos relying on Government?

Bigfrancis i need answers

Hmmn....food for thought. undecided
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by laudate: 4:44pm On Nov 18, 2017
Chai!! Nairaland has changed for the worse. I miss the old gurus like Terracotta.... cry
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by laudate: 4:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
TerraCotta:
This poster often makes these types of inane comments. He is not alone in being incurably addicted to ethnic stereotyping so there's not much point in engaging with him (although I'm grateful to others like Radoillo and Scholes who do God's work by replying!) I do have to correct some simplistic comments that I often see repeated by ignorant posters on Nairaland. Anyone who feels offended because they fit the bill of 'ignorance' may wish to look up the meaning of the word.

Yoruba entrepreneurs have lived and continue to live all over Nigeria and West Africa, in numbers rivaling if not outnumbering any other migrant groups. I'm not interested in score-settling with shallow-minded tribal chestbeaters but the facts are the facts and we have both anecdotal and empirical evidence to support this view.

You will find Yoruba traders in every rural corner of northern and central Nigeria, and in a chain of communities stretching throughout West Africa up to the Ivory Coast. Entrepreneurial travel is a foundational aspect of Yoruba culture, as I've written here before. It's enshrined in the traditional religion through "Aje shaluga" and Olokun, and is well-presented in hundreds of proverbs, and in ancient and contemporary patterns of commerce. The market is still the locus of society in most rural settings, and cities built along traditional plans like Ibadan still demonstrate the central role of the market in Yoruba life.

A brilliant, under-appreciated book on this theme was published in the early 1980s and is called "The Entrepreneur As Culture-Hero"--the author is Professor Bernard Belasco, formerly of the City University of New York. More recent books by Toyin Falola and Jane Guyer go further into Yoruba economic history and anthropology from the 19th century to the present.

Even further back in time, the economic development of Ile-Ife was most likely due to its trade in the luxury goods of the day (9th-14th century West Africa), which included the beaded jewelry, ivory and bronze/brass/copper-alloy artwork produced there: http://www.icom-cc.org/54/document/wg-glass-and-ceramics-interim-meeting-corning-2010--preprint-ige/?action=Site_Downloads_Downloadfile&id=1278

The city was wealthy enough to attract the attention of Muslim scholars like Ibn-Battuta, who is believed to have written about 14th-century Ife under the name "Yufi"--similar to the indigenous Ife-Ijesa and Okun-Ondo dialect version of the town name, "Ufe". There is some controversy about this record but it appears to be correct in calling Ife "one of the largest towns of the negroes, whose ruler is one of the most considerable of the negro rulers."

As suggested by this record, Yoruba cultures have long placed an importance on living in primarily urban arrangements; they are considered one (if not the most) urbanized societies in Africa prior to colonization. Urbanization requires societies open to immigration, entrepreneurship, religious, linguistic and cultural mixing. To my mind, this tradition is strongly upheld in Yoruba culture and partially explain both the size and economic vitality of many Yoruba cities like Lagos and Ibadan.

Coming back to the revolting bigotry that pushes someone to say a group of 35 million people aren't "independent-minded and enterprising enough to travel outside their region to survive". The mindset that generates this type of simple-minded comment can't be cured by posting on the Internet, unfortunately. Thankfully, it can be partially relieved through reading and travel, so more facts:

Yoruba Traders in Cote D'Ivoire: http://www.ajol.info/index.php/afrrev/article/view/43614 (This was, until recently, the country with the highest per-capita GDP and living standards in West Africa)

The Yoruba Migrant Entrepreneur Experience in Ghana: http://www.imi.ox.ac.uk/events/amw-2008/papers/olaniyi.pdf and https://books.google.com.hk/books?id=IjlzSYnAKdQC&pg=PA217&lpg=PA217&dq=yoruba+ivory+ghana&source=bl&ots=fu3niM8Tif&sig=pkXGVgPr9-1yvmJHRPbG-i08KTE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDAQ6AEwCWoVChMIn-6-6qSWyAIVJCymCh0iAg64#v=onepage&q=yoruba%20ivory%20ghana&f=false

The Yoruba ethnonym "Anago" or "Nagot" is synonymous with "Nigerian" in both the Ivory Coast and Ghana, which suggests the significance of the Yoruba migrant population in both countries.

This is senseless, given the documented travel patterns above. If there were economic opportunities and societal openness rivaling Cote D'Ivoire and Ghana in the East, you would expect to see more migration there. Unlike some of the silly inferences I read on Nairaland, migrant labor does not move to new areas out of an altruistic need to "develop" a community. Migrant traders like the Yoruba in these countries, or in London, Dubai and so forth, go to these places because there are more economic opportunities than they would have at home. They are leaving to "strike it rich", not to perform philanthropy. It is a clear comment on the perceived inferior quality of Nigerian schools that students would rather attend university in Ghana and Malaysia (and of course the U.S. and U.K.) It may wound Nigerian pride to hear it, but that won't make it less true.

Likewise, if Yoruba traders go to every other region and nation on Earth but avoid specific ones in large numbers, there is likely to be a straightforward explanation that doesn't require the tortured logic of the quoted statement.

Your claims are demonstrably false as shown above, since there are literally millions of Yoruba people living outside their region for three or more generations, at this point. They live in a wide variety of other communities inside and outside Nigeria. The more probable truth is that you and others who think and talk like you represent a strain of thought and lack of openness in your region that most Yoruba people would find unacceptable.

Coming from cosmopolitan backgrounds where they are used to celebrating a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds, they are unlikely to be attracted to that rudimentary approach to life and a general lack of courtesy and decorum. If there were some overriding economic reasons to live in the East, there would undoubtedly be many hardy migrants who are indifferent to these issues.

For instance, there are Yoruba traders established in Hong Kong and Dubai, which are certainly more economically competitive and less culturally-familiar to them than Eastern Nigeria. The appeal is the economic opportunity that the first two choices offer and that the last appears to lack. Whether or not this lack of opportunity is true has little to do with my point that BigFrancis typifies a lack of cultural courtesy and decorum that many (if not most) Yoruba would find repellant.

Bigotry comes easily to the shallow-minded and inexperienced and it's tempting (but difficult) to ignore it if you have a nuanced and open-minded view of the world.

Nairaland taught me a log time ago that engaging with dyed-in-the-wool bigots is a waste of time--they either grow out of their ignorance through their own efforts or inevitably face shame and correction from a source they admire and trust more than an anonymous internet poster.

It is important to correct nonsense like the first quoted statement because impressionable readers who don't have a wider appetite for information might buy it.

Epic response!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Oba Adewale Akanbi Drives His G-wagon In Canada. Photos / Oyaaa! Waffi Men, Benin Men, Port Harcourt Niggies, Yenagoa Men. Pidgin Contest / Olu Of Warri, Wife Holiday In Ghana, Meet President Akufo-Addo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.