Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,376 members, 7,781,055 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:08 AM

180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? (31238 Views)

What To Do With A Degree In English Language / How Lil Kesh's Song, "Efejoku" Made Me Lose A Job Offer / I Lied About My Degree In Order To Apply For A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by unalaoted: 8:33pm On Sep 28, 2015
And a friend of mine who is fresh graduate from the university (post Nysc) got an offer with a multinational coy of 180k monthly also secured an admission into a school in Canada for masters (sponsored). Now he his confused on what to do. Told him to follow this trend and see what nairalandlers would say on this on.. Oya make una Fire am...

2 Likes

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by yomifola(m): 8:39pm On Sep 28, 2015
This thing is of two ways...

If he's interested in expanding his career so as for him to procure a lecturing job, then he should go for his Masters.

But if his aim is to find a job to do or to start up his own business, then I think 180k is still good as a start up career capital for a BSC holder.

Follow your dream...

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 28, 2015
unalaoted:
[sup][/sup]And a friend of mine who is fresh graduate from the university (post Nysc) got an offer with a multinational coy of 180k monthly also secured an admission into a school in Canada for masters (sponsored). Now he his confused on what to do. Told him to folow this trend and see what nairalandlers would say on this on.. Oya make una Fire am...

If he's into finance or engineering and still young, he should go for his masters degree, do exceptionally well, and gain some experience over there before coming back to Nigeria--If at all he would choose to.

Another option is that if the said multinational has a branch in canada, he should take up the job, gain some experience (say a year or two), then go for his masters afterwards & try as much as possible to work his way into the canadian branch of the said multinational firm.

Nothing is impossible.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by abimbawealth(f): 8:39pm On Sep 28, 2015
Make he dey go Canada jare

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by PapaNnamdi: 8:41pm On Sep 28, 2015
i hate thread like this,

99 Likes 1 Share

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by 175(m): 8:46pm On Sep 28, 2015
Just Choose one, and give me the other! gringrin

202 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by 175(m): 8:47pm On Sep 28, 2015
PapaNnamdi:
i hate thread like this,

I know my papannamdi, no worry ur time of embrassment, Blessing wise from God dey come!
oya gimmme one bottle gringrin

15 Likes

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by engrrichie92(m): 8:51pm On Sep 28, 2015
why do you need masters...if it's to get well paid job..you already have! and you get more as you climb higher

except of course you wanna go into lecturing
but I tell you .
if I were YOU(HIM),I wish I was...I'd resume work asap
Now that we've given him the needed advice,tell him to come here and share how all these good things are happening to him alone
Nairalanders and Joblandersneed to know asap!!!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by clintino700(m): 9:24pm On Sep 28, 2015
If am in ur position i will take d job n get some quality working experience.it matters most in today's job hunting!!
Masters can wait

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by phabulous88(m): 9:25pm On Sep 28, 2015
MSc degree is not work experience o! He better take the job and develop his professional experience. I know guys who have UK/US MSc degrees and still no job.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 9:52pm On Sep 28, 2015
unalaoted:
[sup][/sup]And a friend of mine who is fresh graduate from the university (post Nysc) got an offer with a multinational coy of 180k monthly also secured an admission into a school in Canada for masters (sponsored). Now he his confused on what to do. Told him to folow this trend and see what nairalandlers would say on this on.. Oya make una Fire am...
I wanted to advise your friend but then I realized he doesn't have a problem. All he needs is encouragement......

15 Likes

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by DarkFive: 9:55pm On Sep 28, 2015
Please Take the Masters for two reasons
1. Canada is a lucrative country looking for young professionals, if his smart he would get better offers there too.

2.Even If you take the job 5years , down the line you would start yearning for a masters degree,so now you stil have age on your side.

Go for it!! Don't short change yourself...Take the leap of faith

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Ramj: 9:58pm On Sep 28, 2015
Wherever in the world you have your M.Sc, the basic and first requirement for close to 95% of graduate jobs is a B.Sc (a 2.1 for most companies)..
To that end I would say to your friend please let him stick to the 180k job (that a really good pay for a fresh graduate in all honesty).
Also 2 years job experience is worth more than many masters. Also considering the recent emergence of AGE BENCHMARK on many jobs (add 2 years to his current age) then he will be back after his M.Sc having a very good certificate but limited by this glass ceiling called age barrier.

NB: I also have a masters degree and I can tell you from experience that MOST jobs require your Bachelor's degree and that's what most employers will ask for. I have been there having a M.Sc and feeling like will this job ever come e.t.c.

The condition i will advice your friend to go for the M.Sc in Canada and forfeit the 180k job, is if he plans to stay abroad - To that there is higher and better chance of getting a post-study visa in Canada and consequently a residence permit in no time in Canada. Canada is a very good destination in that regards compared to the U.K.
Also if he plans to get into academics then he better go for his M.Sc and subsequently his PhD which has more funding in Canada

Let your friend consider his options very well. I wish him the very best

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by pweetyoge(f): 10:39pm On Sep 28, 2015
Take the job...M.sc can wait

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Yungmilio2(m): 11:11pm On Sep 28, 2015
He or she should go for Msc.
Canada is a lucrative country
after his/her masters if he/she gets a good job
within a year he/she will have make as much as he/she would have made working in Nigeria for two years...
and getting a PR is another added advantage...
Nigeria economy is not stable right now
best bet
Msc...

7 Likes

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 28, 2015
@op....and that friend of yours, I know him
Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 28, 2015
adeoti01:
@op....and that friend of yours, I know him
Since he has sponsor... if he can secure 180k job here.... he can do better in canada and nothing beats coming back from a developed economy with a MSc plus 3 years work experience... My opinion
Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by morelli: 11:53pm On Sep 28, 2015
He can defer the admission for a year and then work with the multinational and see how it goes.I had a colleague back then she got admission in Canada for M.sc and got a job also in a multinational company,she had to defer her admission,the only thing is you will pay for some charges that's all.Best of luck and above all pray for God's guidance.cheers

26 Likes

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by agabaI23(m): 1:37am On Sep 29, 2015
Take both of them.
Accept the Job, stay in the job for 3 years then tell your parents you want to go for your master's along the line of your job if the masters will add to your expertise. Otherwise, enroll for trainings and acquire additional skills and certifications that may be required in your jobline with your parents money. Take both with both hands. Don't leave any.

2 Likes

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Israel5(m): 5:22am On Sep 29, 2015
Go master wetin dey don teach you make we hear word.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by funkyglitz: 6:25am On Sep 29, 2015
Abeg mk una clear mi...is masters degree an assurance to get a well paid job in nigeria? E be lyk u neva see master degree holder wey stil dey carry envelope dey find job...d best tin strt d job ad do ur masters ONLINE dats killing 2 birds with one stone...Al d best

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 29, 2015
If you want to leave Nigeria for good and never come back, please go for your masters. You've a good chance of getting your PR... You also get a post studies visa for work experience. .
You've a sponsor now, grab the opportunity because you may not have a sponsor tomorrow. ...

180k isn't worth it IMO expect you don't wish to leave Naija...

6 Likes

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Lero15(m): 6:54am On Sep 29, 2015
Take that job. Masters can wait. Jobs don't wait!

Masters is overrated. I have a colleague who did Masters in Canada and could not get a job there. He came back home. I'd rather do a professional certification for now. Then Masters later.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by ogwoliun: 7:35am On Sep 29, 2015
Msc is NOT equal to WORK EXPERIENCE oooooo!!! 2yrs exp. in a multination firm cannot be compaire to Msc op.

2 Likes

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Jamean(f): 8:07am On Sep 29, 2015
The Undergraduate training aims at a Bachelor's degree while the Post graduate training results in Master's degree.

If I may ask...what does the word Master mean?

Personally I don't subscribe to doing Masters just upon graduation, what are you Mastering in if you don't have applied practical knowledge ?? Or you just wanna increase the stock of theoretical jargon in school. There is a wide margin between book knowledge and hands-on experience.

Consider other factors like age, awareness of the employment market and desired vs actual career path. Oftentimes, just a year work experience can change your career path to something you never thought will be interesting.

That said, stick with the job...enjoy it and consider professional certifications. Masters can come later.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by PapaNnamdi: 10:48am On Sep 29, 2015
175:

I know my papannamdi, no worry ur time of embrassment, Blessing wise from God dey come!
oya gimmme one bottle gringrin

gerrrarahia mehn angry

gerrrarahia mehn

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 11:02am On Sep 29, 2015
Make hay while the sun shines
Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by lastmessenger: 11:09am On Sep 29, 2015
take the job and shun the masters. what is the hell is the meaning of masters

1 Like

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by ednut1(m): 11:14am On Sep 29, 2015
take the job and get at least 2 years expericence and go for the masters later. Masters even is na from uk or canada without experience equals bsc. be wise

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? by MacMaster01(m): 11:16am On Sep 29, 2015
Jamean:
The Undergraduate training aims at a Bachelor's degree while the Post graduate training results in Master's degree.

If I may ask...what does the word Master mean?

Personally I don't subscribe to doing Masters just upon graduation, what are you Mastering in if you don't have applied practical knowledge ?? Or you just wanna increase the stock of theoretical jargon in school. There is a wide margin between book knowledge and hands-on experience.

Consider other factors like age, awareness of the employment market and desired vs actual career path. Oftentimes, just a year work experience can change your career path to something you never thought will be interesting.

That said, stick with the job...enjoy it and consider professional certifications. Masters can come later.

op if I should recommend any advise for you, it'll be this one....

16 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Happening Now:candidates To Write Nigeria Navy Exams Asked To Sit On The Floor / How Using A Blackberry Might Prevent You From Getting A Job. / NPOWER- I Just Got A Congratulations Text Message

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.