Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,550 members, 7,801,554 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater (50084 Views)

Flood Alert: NEMA Advises These Communities To Evacuate / Flood Alert: Alpha Beach In Lagos Overflowing / Flood Alert : Governor’s Aide Visit Delta Communities, Warns Residents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 30, 2015
Residents and villagers of Alpha Beach area of Lekki are currently battling flood. This is a yearly reoccurance and this years is the worst it has been. Houses are being submerged in water, people are made homeless and cars are stranded.

Year after year residents in this environment cry to the Government for help but it keeps occurring. All the businesses on the beach are now under water and are currently unemployed. A country as strong as Nigeria yet we cannot handle the annual flood crisis. Billions of dollars are spent on the Eko Atlantic City all in the name of a Mega City or is it luxurious living yet the poor are suffering.

I hope the office oqf the Governor of Lagos sees this or better still The President sees this. This is not change, nothing has changed, we need change, we want change.

Photos are attached.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 30, 2015
More photos

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by twixx(f): 9:24am On Sep 30, 2015
wow God save them

1 Like

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by whizqueen(f): 9:33am On Sep 30, 2015
Lalasticlala

What a pity embarassed

1 Like

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Olaolufred(m): 9:44am On Sep 30, 2015
There is land at Ogijo, Ogere, Sagamu, Ijebu etc. yet many settled for ocean view.

Ocean is trying to come closer and become more an intimate friend, they are calling government.

Are every land covered with brushes or grasses suitable for houses vis a vis Erosion, environmental risk?

And most of these folks were criticizing lagos for starting eko atlantic city which is aimed partly at protecting V.I.

Well, Hope for you folks in future, but not in the immediate.

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by mayreeh215: 9:49am On Sep 30, 2015
Ehyaa...I sincerely wish the government would do something quickly about this rather than leaving them to suffer on their own

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by baralatie(m): 9:50am On Sep 30, 2015
mayreeh215:
Ehyaa...I sincerely wish the government would do something quickly about this rather than leaving them to suffer on their own
nothing govt can do!
it is called ocean surge!

26 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by mayreeh215: 9:53am On Sep 30, 2015
baralatie:

nothing govt can do!
it is called ocean surge!
What about relief for the affected, temporary accommodation and maybe some compensation for lost items?

3 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Olaolufred(m): 9:56am On Sep 30, 2015
mayreeh215:

What about relief for the affected, temporary accommodation and maybe some compensation for lost items?

I HOPE YOU HAVE GIVEN THEM SOME RELIEF MATERIALS TOO because WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT.

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by sweetgala(m): 9:57am On Sep 30, 2015
It's stupidity that does not make the LG or SG know that they need to put up high tide barriers along the coastline or wave breakers further out.

In these modern times, most coastal ccommunities the world over a battling the same problem of water encroachment but they are putting up better barriers but in my Nigeria we fold our arms till it happens again and then complaints come in

7 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by baralatie(m): 9:57am On Sep 30, 2015
mayreeh215:

the whole lekki peninsula is not under Lagos direct ownership as compared to Ikeja,surulere,Victoria island.the properly owners are basically on their own!

1 Like

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by mayreeh215: 10:01am On Sep 30, 2015
baralatie:

the whole lekki peninsula is not under Lagos direct ownership as compared to Ikeja,surulere,Victoria island.the properly owners are basically on their own!
Oh! I see
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by baralatie(m): 10:01am On Sep 30, 2015
sweetgala:
It's stupidity that does not make the LG or SG know that they need to put up high tide barriers along the coastline or wave breakers further out.

In these modern times, most coastal ccommunities the world over a battling the same problem of water encroachment but they are putting up better barriers but in my Nigeria we fold our arms till it happens again and then complaints come in
not as straight forward as you think.
how many kilometres of coastline do you think is from lekki to jakande and connect to eti osa.
and now price the cost of piling works to protect in terms of $ per km

4 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by RockMaxi: 10:02am On Sep 30, 2015
MrCuddles:

Year after year residents in this environment cry to the Government for help but it keeps occurring. All the businesses on the beach are now under water and are currently unemployed.

Photos are attached.

How do I understand the bolded.

8 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by stevecantrell: 10:06am On Sep 30, 2015
I had a dream alpha beach was obliterated by a tsunami 2 nights ago...just a dream.

1 Like

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Olaolufred(m): 10:06am On Sep 30, 2015
RockMaxi:

MAY BE I WILL PUT MY BUSINESS KIOSK ABOUT 100METRES INTO ATLANTIC OFFSHORE ALPHA BEACH.

AND THEN CALL ON GOVERMENT TO RESCUE ME FROM YEMOJA.

10 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 30, 2015
RockMaxi:

Everything is not meant to be understood by the common man.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by sweetgala(m): 10:22am On Sep 30, 2015
baralatie:

not as straight forward as you think.
how many kilometres of coastline do you think is from lekki to jakande and connect to eti osa.
and now price the cost of piling works to protect in terms of $ per km

Compare that to the value of property damaged, multiply it by 10 for the effect over the next decade. Now do you get the big picture.

The great wall of China was not built as a monument but a necesity, same for the walls encircling large cities in northern Nigeria, when there is a need you do what is needed

5 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by tolexy007(m): 10:25am On Sep 30, 2015
shocked but i like beach
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by baralatie(m): 10:25am On Sep 30, 2015
sweetgala:

Compare that to the value of property damaged, multiply it by 10 for the effect over the next decade. Now do you get the big picture.

The great wa of China was not built as a monument but a necesity, same for the walls encircling large cities in northern Nigeria, when there is a need you do what is needed
calculate all the properties in that region and multiply by 10 it will not cover the cost of protection works on that coastline at all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by 69MissedCalls(m): 10:25am On Sep 30, 2015
lol. this is small compared to what some countries face yet we can't control it? God help us

2 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 30, 2015
Those houses are too close to the beach.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by jeeqaa7(m): 10:26am On Sep 30, 2015
Just yesterday .. I noticed that there was an influx of mermaids and mammy waters to the federal capital...maybe the queen of the coast forget to lock gate...

Anyway.. Na to go buy canoe

In other news

Make una help me thank the Lord oh .

Because buky saraky just call me now say my names dey names of noisemakers (ministers) wen baba submit ..

Abeg my pple ..
Make I go?

4 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by kennyman2000(m): 10:26am On Sep 30, 2015
Hmmm..
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Kreamie(m): 10:28am On Sep 30, 2015
The tides have risen..Those Banana Island people should be on the lookout with the incessant rain lately
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by ayo4dworld(m): 10:29am On Sep 30, 2015
God help us. That place is prone to flooding every year, the depth of the water level of those area is so shallow than you can ever imagine... Collapse of several building will start to occur if care isn't taking fast.
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by jeeqaa7(m): 10:29am On Sep 30, 2015
mayreeh215:

Dem no see water b4 dem rent house? Make dem buy canoe ... Govt's hand is full

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by ylaa(f): 10:29am On Sep 30, 2015
THE SEAgod and godess ARE ANGRY
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by baralatie(m): 10:31am On Sep 30, 2015
Kreamie:
The tides have risen..Those Banana Island people should be on the lookout with the incessant rain lately
banana island might be lucky.there are not as exposed like lekki
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by missKiffy(f): 10:31am On Sep 30, 2015
Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by Dahveydson(m): 10:31am On Sep 30, 2015
This is why I prefer the mainland.

2 Likes

Re: Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater by initialize(m): 10:32am On Sep 30, 2015
MrCuddles:
Residents and villagers of Alpha Beach area of Lekki are currently battling flood. This is a yearly reoccurance and this years is the worst it has been. Houses are being submerged in water, people are made homeless and cars are stranded.

Year after year residents in this environment cry to the Government for help but it keeps occurring. All the businesses on the beach are now under water and are currently unemployed. A country as strong as Nigeria yet we cannot handle the annual flood crisis. Billions of dollars are spent on the Eko Atlantic City all in the name of a Mega City or is it luxurious living yet the poor are suffering.

I hope the office oqf the Governor of Lagos sees this or better still The President sees this. This is not change, nothing has changed, we need change, we want change.

Photos are attached.

I'm FTQ {First to Quote} & LTC {Last to Comment} on this joint mehn!

Thanks OP wink , I'm feeling this beat cool

Best Thread Ever till I become FTQ & FTC

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

True Federalism, Its Advantages And Implications. / Atiku Floors Buhari In Governor Ambode’s Ward / SA To A Politician Refused To Be Search By Police In Delta (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.