Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,424 members, 7,781,232 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:03 AM

Advice For Backsliding Christians. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Advice For Backsliding Christians. (16972 Views)

An Athiest Is Backsliding, Pls Help!!! / Open Heaven Daily Devotional(sat. 02/12/2017) Backsliding Not An Option. / Cure For Backsliding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 6:48am On Oct 07, 2015
Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 10:37pm On May 07, 2016
malvisguy212:
2 Peter 2:20-22, we read of the real
possibility and serious consequences
of backsliding:

2 Peter 2:20-22,
"For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ,they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness,than,after they
have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire."

Yes, this is interesting, we find this passage coming from the pen of peter. If anyone know the reality of firsthand backsliding, it must be peter , the night he betrayed our Lord Jesus christ .

The process of backsliding is a gradual one, often overtaking one by surprise (peter could not believe,he will deny Jesus) . And lest we fall from our own steadfastness, We shall carefully examine the process that led to Peter's denial of Christ, followed by noticing how Peter's own words in his epistles are designed to prevent the same from happening to us!

1. PRIDE.
Mark 14:27-31,
"And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered. But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee. But Peter said unto him, ALTHOUGH ALL SHALL BE
OFFENDED, YET WILL NOT I. And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all."

In a boastful manner, Peter claims he
will not fall away or deny Christ! In
doing so, Peter takes the first step in
backsliding: "pride" (Proverbs 16:18).
Why is this the "first" step? Because
the first step in entering the kingdom
is HUMILITY( Mathew 18:3-4). So if we
lose "humility", we take that first step
BACKWARD.

2.COWARDICE.
Mark 14:54,
"AND PETER FOLLOW HIM AFAR OFF , even into the palace of the high priest: and he sat with the servants, and warmed himself at the fire."

Is this not cowardice? When Jesus was healing and the people love Him , peter walk by His side, and now when Jesus was unpopular, he walk afar off,is this not the same peter who vow to follow Jesus ? . Peter was unprepared for the challenge of facing ridicule and persecution. Without diligent preparation, we too can become guilty of cowardice! Ashamed to be seen carrying the scriptures. Ashamed to be seen giving thanks. Ashamed to be seen with other believers in Christ. Perhaps
even ashamed to let others know that
we are believers! And yet, Jesus has made it clear what He thinks of "cowardice" (Mark 8:38)

3. DENIAL.
Mark 14:66-71,
"And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest: And when she saw
Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.But he DENIED, saying, I know not, neither understand I
what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch; and the cock crew. And a maid saw him again,and began to say to them that stood by, This is one of them.
And he DENIED IT AGAIN. And a little after, they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them: for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech
agreeth thereto. But he began to CURSE AND SWEAR , saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak."

First he "DENIED" and later he" CURSE AND SWEAR "(which Jesus Himself warn against) Away from Christ, at comfort with those in the world, Peter finds himself denying His Lord and Savior! In so doing, he has put himself in grave
danger (Matthew 10:32-33). Though
we may never actually deny Jesus in
"words", we can easily backslide to
the point of denying Him in "action."

In conclusion, amazingly, it was peter himself who give advice from backsliding christians;

1. To Guard Against Pride:
Peter enjoins "humility" (1Peter 5:5-6).
Indeed, "God resists the PROUD, but gives grace to the HUMBLE."
2. Instead of Cowardice:
Peter charges us to "glorify God" (1 Peter 4:16). Think NOT of what it means to
you, BUT what it means to God!
3. Instead Of Denial:
Peter exhorts us to ever be ready to "give a defense" (1Peter 3:15).
By careful preparation, we will "DEFEND " Christ, and NOT "DENY" Christ!
Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by Raphoeworld: 6:00am On May 08, 2016
This post will clarify all your doubt about the payment of tithe. http://www.sujiandrewsblog.tk/2016/05/should-christians-pay-tithe.html Be blessed in the name of our lord Jesus Christ!
Re: Advice For Backsliding Christians. by malvisguy212: 5:11pm On May 02, 2017
malvisguy212:
2 Peter 2:20-22, we read of the real
possibility and serious consequences
of backsliding:

2 Peter 2:20-22,
"For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ,they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness,than,after they
have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire."

Yes, this is interesting, we find this passage coming from the pen of peter. If anyone know the reality of firsthand backsliding, it must be peter , the night he betrayed our Lord Jesus christ .

The process of backsliding is a gradual one, often overtaking one by surprise (peter could not believe,he will deny Jesus) . And lest we fall from our own steadfastness, We shall carefully examine the process that led to Peter's denial of Christ, followed by noticing how Peter's own words in his epistles are designed to prevent the same from happening to us!

1. PRIDE.
Mark 14:27-31,
"And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered. But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee. But Peter said unto him, ALTHOUGH ALL SHALL BE
OFFENDED, YET WILL NOT I. And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all."

In a boastful manner, Peter claims he
will not fall away or deny Christ! In
doing so, Peter takes the first step in
backsliding: "pride" (Proverbs 16:18).
Why is this the "first" step? Because
the first step in entering the kingdom
is HUMILITY( Mathew 18:3-4). So if we
lose "humility", we take that first step
BACKWARD.

2.COWARDICE.
Mark 14:54,
"AND PETER FOLLOW HIM AFAR OFF , even into the palace of the high priest: and he sat with the servants, and warmed himself at the fire."

Is this not cowardice? When Jesus was healing and the people love Him , peter walk by His side, and now when Jesus was unpopular, he walk afar off,is this not the same peter who vow to follow Jesus ? . Peter was unprepared for the challenge of facing ridicule and persecution. Without diligent preparation, we too can become guilty of cowardice! Ashamed to be seen carrying the scriptures. Ashamed to be seen giving thanks. Ashamed to be seen with other believers in Christ. Perhaps
even ashamed to let others know that
we are believers! And yet, Jesus has made it clear what He thinks of "cowardice" (Mark 8:38)

3. DENIAL.
Mark 14:66-71,
"And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest: And when she saw
Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.But he DENIED, saying, I know not, neither understand I
what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch; and the cock crew. And a maid saw him again,and began to say to them that stood by, This is one of them.
And he DENIED IT AGAIN. And a little after, they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them: for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech
agreeth thereto. But he began to CURSE AND SWEAR , saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak."

First he "DENIED" and later he" CURSE AND SWEAR "(which Jesus Himself warn against) Away from Christ, at comfort with those in the world, Peter finds himself denying His Lord and Savior! In so doing, he has put himself in grave
danger (Matthew 10:32-33). Though
we may never actually deny Jesus in
"words", we can easily backslide to
the point of denying Him in "action."

In conclusion, amazingly, it was peter himself who give advice from backsliding christians;

1. To Guard Against Pride:
Peter enjoins "humility" (1Peter 5:5-6).
Indeed, "God resists the PROUD, but gives grace to the HUMBLE."
2. Instead of Cowardice:
Peter charges us to "glorify God" (1 Peter 4:16). Think NOT of what it means to
you, BUT what it means to God!
3. Instead Of Denial:
Peter exhorts us to ever be ready to "give a defense" (1Peter 3:15).
By careful preparation, we will "DEFEND " Christ, and NOT "DENY" Christ!
a

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shiloh 2011 "waves Of Glory" / 10 Reasons Why GOD Allows Suffering On His People / Why You Need To Make Heaven Your Primary Concern

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.