Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

Need History Information - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Need History Information (940 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need History Information by kanurisud: 10:11pm On Apr 19, 2009
hi broth& sis
I amnew member from sudan

For those who interested in history I need a list of bornu kings
I also need any article ever written about Rabih perion in Bornu and his role in destroying the kindom
pls hlep me
thanks
Hussein Osman Abbkr
Geidam orgin
brith -sudan
work K S A -
Re: Need History Information by kanurisud: 10:18pm On Apr 19, 2009
i expect to much information from my people

now Iam leaving , see u tomorrow
Re: Need History Information by kanurisud: 9:03pm On Apr 21, 2009
still waiting
Re: Need History Information by preselect(m): 3:43am On Apr 22, 2009
try google, wikipedia, etc start from there
Re: Need History Information by kanurisud: 9:04pm On Apr 22, 2009
I tried them , I also visits kanuri.net it is a good site
would you recommend some nigerian forums discussing historical issues pls
Re: Need History Information by biina: 10:14pm On Apr 22, 2009
kanuri sud:

I  tried them , I also visits kanuri.net it is a good site
would you recommend some n[b]igerian forums discussing historical issues[/b] pls
Nigerians often have enough problems in the present, that they rarely have time to discuss the issues of the past grin
Re: Need History Information by sherifatou: 2:58am On Apr 23, 2009
kanuri sud:

I tried them , I also visits kanuri.net it is a good site
would you recommend some nigerian forums discussing historical issues pls

if you learn of any, share plz.

I'm also interested in Nigerian history.
Re: Need History Information by kanurisud: 10:06pm On Apr 23, 2009
Nigerians often have enough problems in the present, that they rarely have time to discuss the issues of the past

understanding our past contributes in solving our present prblems
Re: Need History Information by kanurisud: 10:16pm On Apr 23, 2009
if you learn of any, share plz.

I'm also interested in Nigerian history.

o k . no problem my dear, I interest in kanuri history of of my roots. now I am sudanese and I need to know much information about the history
and I want to make friendship with Nigerians.
Re: Need History Information by sherifatou: 1:04am On Apr 24, 2009
kanuri sud:

understanding our past contributes in solving our present prblems

<<thumbs up>>
Re: Need History Information by kanurisud: 7:30pm On Apr 28, 2009
Rabih Conquest Borno
In 1893, Rabih also turned his attentions to shehu (king) Hashim ibn Omar's Borno Empire. Borno was a sahelian region that traced its origins back to the Middle Ages. That year, the empire consisted of 80,000 soldiers, mostly slaves officered by slaves, and was in full decline.
On the road to Borno, Rabih made prisoner the sultan of Karnak Logone, whose capital promptly opened its doors to his host. Hashim, Borno's shehu, sent 15,000 men to confront Rabih; the latter routed them in May or September 1893 first at Am Hobbio (south of Dikoa) and then at Legaroua with only 2,000 horse. Hashim fled north of the Komadougou river and maybe tried to negotiate, but was assassinated at the instigation of his nephew Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr al-Amin (called Kiyari), who succeeded his uncle and decided to fight Rabih. Rabih met Kiyari at Gashegar, at two days of walk from Kukawa, the capital of Borno; and Kiyari defeated Rabih and took his camp. The following day Rabih gathered his forces, and ordered 100 blows of whip be given to all his bannermen, including his own blessed son Fadlallah, sparing only Boubakar, who had fought bravely. Then he ordered a victorious counter-offensive; Kiyari, who had refused to flee, was captured and beheaded. As for Borno's capital, Kukawa, it was plundered and razed to the ground.
Rabah made Dikoa his capital, and built there his palace which was to won later the admiration of the French governor Emile Gentil.
Borno's Lord (1893–1900)
Wanting to modernize his army, Rabih and attempted in 1895 to make an accord with British Royal Niger Company in Yola and Ibi so to obtain gunpowder and ammunition, but without success. He started confronting the British in 1896 and the following year even started marching on Kano, while his vassal Mohammed al-Sanussi founded a fortified capital, Ndele, between Bahr Aouk and the Ubangi River, that he as to maintain till 1911.
For seven years Rabih was shehu of Borno, and spent much efforts to reinvigorate an old decadent empire that had maintained till then the same feudal structures it had in the 16th century. Rabih kept in their places the vassal sultans, but subjected them to his lieutenants, mostly Arab Sudanese like him. He promulgated a legal code based on the sharia, rationalized taxation through the creation of a budget, imposed on Borno a sort of military dictatorship which aroused the interest of the colonial powers. Émile Gentil was to speak of Rabih's reforms in Borno with a certain degree of interest; they would later inspire him in organizing the territory of Chad.
Much is told about his brutality (for example, he once had one of her concubines executed because she kept a talisman designed to obtain Rabih's love, and with her the marabout that had deciphered the talisman); or about the evenings he passed listening to Ali, the poet who sang his exploits.
More seriously, Rabih constantly launched razzias to plunder and capture slaves: return to the traditional activity of the sultans of Borno, already described in 1526 by Leo Africanus. It is estimated that 1500–2000 slaves were exported every year by his vassal Mohammed al-Senoussi, without counting the deaths, the casualties, and other losses; the figures for Rabah must be much higher

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Muslims And their endemic Ignorance / The Nigerian Mind And The Need For Its Transformation, Part I / Please translate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.