Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities (1027 Views)

JAMB Catchment Areas and ELPS For 2016/2017 Admission / Unizik 2017 - 2018 Cutoff Mark And Catchment Area / BREAKING NEWS: All Federal Universities To Pay The Same Fees – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by Misanthrope: 8:26pm On Oct 01, 2015
Firstly, every working Nigerian citizen from all the states in the country are been taxed to pay taxes sporadically, a fraction of these incomes are been used to fund federal universities, to cut the long story short, the people are actually the ones funding these institutes.

So then, why then must our federal universities practice Nepotism when it comes to giving out admissions to candidates? For crying out loud these schools are being funded by hard working citizens, the issue of State Universities can be justified on the sole reason that, it belongs to the state government and they must consider indigenes, but for a federal university to discriminate this far defies all forms of logic.

There is a program called SBRS in ABU Zaria, now this pre-degree/IJMB program is reserved for the Northerners alone, what this means is that, candidates from the South, East and West are not allowed to partake in either of these programs mentioned above.

Now, does ABU belong to the Northern government or the federal government? If it belongs to the federal government then why would they start up a program and decides to boycott other geopolitical zones in the country?

Day by day, these so-called elites will stand in front of journalists to preach about "One Nigeria", yet there is Nepotism in every corner in the country.

Because of these so-called catchment areas, a student from Lagos or Osun will definitely prefer to study is his or her locality to avoid stories that touch.

Now go to the UNN, at least 97-8% of the students there are Igbos, go to Northern universities, it's the same, go to the west, a plethora of people there are all yorubas.

It's a shame, in the sense that, we are not promoting diversity, if we promote diversity, we'd be more tolerant of each other, we'll drop our prejudices. Tribalism is systematic brainwashing, and the only way to curtail it is by promoting and encouraging diversity. There's still more on the list but I'll stop here for now....
Re: Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by Nuelstar(m): 4:24pm On Oct 02, 2015
[/color]Most universities wuld b useles...because most pepl go 4 d best[color=#770077]Most universities wuld b useles...because most pepl go 4 d bestMost universities wuld b useles...because most pepl go 4 d best
Re: Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by TITOBIGZ(m): 4:29pm On Oct 02, 2015
The won wey cosain me,na make i get admission. Waht am i doing here self
Re: Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by HomoSapiien: 5:23pm On Oct 02, 2015
Catchment areas is a good initiative. Sorry OP, it has come to stay. smiley

BTW, who told you Federal Uni make use of mainly catchment areas and neglecting Merit
Re: Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by Misanthrope: 6:00pm On Oct 02, 2015
HomoSapiien:
Catchment areas is a good initiative. Sorry OP, it has come to stay. smiley

BTW, who told you Federal Uni make use of mainly catchment areas and neglecting Merit

I did not say that either, I'm just saying Catchment areas are purely Nepotism and nothing else.
Re: Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by HomoSapiien: 6:03pm On Oct 02, 2015
Misanthrope:

I did not say that either, I'm just saying Catchment areas are purely Nepotism and nothing else.

It isn't
Re: Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by Aspiregreat: 6:12pm On Oct 02, 2015
Well, You Have a point.And i hope to see a Nigeria where the so-called Nepotism is totally Eradicated.Meanwhile let's enjoy it while it last.
Re: Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by FunnyDude(m): 6:28pm On Oct 02, 2015
@Op ur ascertion is false...I am stunch Yoruba Nigga but am schooling in Eastern Nigeria(UNN)..I have so many friends there that are from mostly all geopolitical zones in the country..Atleast I personally know pple that are from SW,SS,NW,NC there.
Come down to UNILAG and see student duly reperesented from majority of the geo-political zone in Nigeria.
Same thing applies to ABU,as I know so many of my friend schooling and also graduated from there.

Get your Fact Right Before blaiming FG.

I still believe you are an admission seeker,by the time you get it you will confirm these fact.
Re: Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by Misanthrope: 6:41pm On Oct 02, 2015
FunnyDude:
@Op ur ascertion is false...I am stunch Yoruba Nigga but am schooling in Eastern Nigeria(UNN)..I have so many friends there that are from mostly all geopolitical zones in the country..Atleast I personally know pple that are from SW,SS,NW,NC there.
Come down to UNILAG and see student duly reperesented from majority of the geo-political zone in Nigeria.
Same thing applies to ABU,as I know so many of my friend schooling and also graduated from there.

Get your Fact Right Before blaiming FG.

I still believe you are an admission seeker,by the time you get it you will confirm these fact.

First, I'm not saying we have no Yorubas schooling in the north and I did not deny this fact in my write ups above.

I made my assertion based on percentage ratio.
Re: Catchment Areas Should Be Banned In All Federal Universities by Misanthrope: 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2015
HomoSapiien:

It isn't

You've been duped.

(1) (Reply)

10 Tips To Read Without Forgetting / Jamb CBT Answers For Day 2 - Feb 29/2016 / Entry Opens For 13th Mike Okonkwo Essay Competition!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.