Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Common Online Business Misconceptions - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Common Online Business Misconceptions (607 Views)

4 Untapped Online Business Ideas In Nigeria - Nigerianonlinebusiness / 5 Real Online Business Opportunities You Can Start With 5000 Naira / 7 Reasons Why You Must Start An Online Business In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Common Online Business Misconceptions by hahn(m): 1:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
The internet, over the years, has greatly affected the way we live, acquire information and is probably the most used platform and presently has over 3billion users and counting in the world today. Many people around the world have been able to use the flexibilty of the internet and the huge database it has to build businesses and create steady streams of income for themselves all in the confort of their homes. However, only a few people have been able to build great wealth over the internet and many people still struggle, fail, eventually give up and then join the club of people who say online business is a scam or that it doesn't work. Only about 20% of people online business people earn real cash while the rest 80% fail. Now, why is that?

The main reasons for failure are largely due to misconceptions made by information marketers who use "Make $1,000 daily doing NOTING" or "Make $1000 daily following these simple steps" as ad headlines for their proposed ebook which is supposed to change your life. A good number of these businessmen have never implemented what they teach and are only interested in making sales for their ebooks and have greatly attributed in creating false concepts about making money online.

This article is aimed at clarifying some of these misconceptions and the major misconceptions are:

Anyone can do it: A lot of info marketers will like you believe that internet business if for everyone. The truth is that it is not. There is no difference owning an offline business as there is an online business. It is all business. If you are the type of person who is comfortable going to work in the morning and coming back at night, having the weekend off and a fixed monthly salary it is better you stick to that because running a business, online or offline, requires lots of dedication, work, ability to handle dissappointment and still continue putting in effort till you see your result. When I first started business, I was posting ads on nairaland and facebook everyday for close to 3months without making any dime before I was able to make my first sale. I remember I used to add friends and post on their walls and also in groups and I would receive insults and warnings from everywhere. Apparently, a lot of people found the fact that I sell Brazilian human hair offensive. However, I kept on working on and today my business has a website of it's own and I can at least afford to pay for advertising. I still post on their walls and groups sha. Sue me. Lol

Making money online is FREE: So, now you have created a blog or signed up for a PTC or affiliate site but you feel reluctant towards investing money in advertising or registration and you expect to make millions overnight. You are sitting down on a long thing. You will have to invest your time, money(upgrading/ads/data/pay for articles/domain name registration/hosting) and consistent effort before you can get any tangible result.

I will start making $1,000 daily immediately: Despite the fact that there are lots of internet marketers who earn $1,000 daily and more the misconception here is that they did so overnight which is totally false. Majority of online successes became so only after up to 5 years after their owners started putting in work. Mark Zuckerberg, Seun Osewa, Linda Ikeji etc didn't make their money overnight. They put in lots of work and built from from the first sign up/customer/subscriber to their second, third, tenth etc to the number they currently have. So, YES you can make $1,000 a day online but you will probably have to first start with earning $1 monthly and build from there. With enough consistency and persistence your income will definitely grow.

After setting up I don't have to do anything else: I laugh in Urhobo. Some people feel that to be a successful blogger, for instance, all you have to do is sign up for a google account, create a blog and voila they start making money. This couldn't be farther from the truth. The truth is you will have to work everyday for at least 2-5hours or even more daily, depending on your level of dedication and access to the internet, before you can see any result. Linda Ikeji once said she was blogging daily for up to 5 years before she started making good money. Mark Zuckergerg after being asked what he thought about the movie, the social media, said "I don't remember it being exactly like that. All I can remember are late nights, hours and hours of coding and hardwork". Seun Osewa founded nairaland in 2005 and after 15 years nairaland is the most visited Nigerian forum. It will be unrealistic to believe he was making the same amount he makes now when he first started. So, if you are not ready to work hard stick to earning basic salary because you will only end up being dissappointed not because internet business is a scam but because of your own unrealistic expectations.

Making money online comes with a fixed salary: I guess this misconception comes mainly from the fact that most people feel more comfortable earning a fixed income and do not understand that having online business is the same with running an offline(physical) business. Whatever amount you make on the internet is greatly dependent on how much you put into it in terms of time, money and personal effort. You have to understand simply that what you are doing is "building a business" and that your profit will only come after your effort starts yielding results.

All I need is a laptop and internet connection: These are only basic requirements. You will have to learn about online business just like you are going to school to get a certificate unless you will fall victim to scam programs that will only waste your time, money and effort. If someone says they will pay you $50 just for clicking an advert, you need to ask yourself exactly where he is going to make that money to pay you especially when you consider that you could probably pay as little as $1 for 50 visits to your website. Most of these sites will pay you a certain percentage of their income so there is no way they can pay you what they don't earn. Understanding the business you are about to go into is very important because it is only through understanding that you will be able to know what decisions to make and what you need to do to get results. You will also have to try and fail, learn and read a lot of articles, buy ebooks, just so that you can get around the concept of running an online business. Some people sign up for programs and do not even bother reading the FAQ or ABOUT page to learn about the business. Little wonder they fail

So far, these are all I can think of I believe that this is enough to guide you if you fee that you will like to go into online business. KEY POINT: You only get what you give.

Personally, I am on several online businesses that earn me steady income. If you have problems figuring out what programs you can get involved in or what you have to do to start making money online you can visit http://nimini.com.ng/index.php/2015/09/27/earn-money-online/ to view a list of online paying programs that I am on and which you can also benefit from by putting in 1-5hours work daily and consistently. When you sign up on any of these programs, I will become your sponsor and I will also be available to offer assistance, answer your questions and guide you with building a steady income online.

See you at the top!

Have a great day

Re: Common Online Business Misconceptions by loverprince(m): 1:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
Nice write up.... that is just the bitter truth... Internet money is not for the lazy people.
Not overnight income.
but there are different ways of making money online
importation business
blogging/website design
fiverr
Facebook
betting
forex trading
affiliate programs and Co.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Online Business Misconceptions by hahn(m): 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2015
loverprince:
Nice write up.... that is just the bitter truth... Internet money is not for the lazy people.
Not overnight income.
but there are different ways of making money online
importation business
blogging/website design
fiverr
Facebook
betting
forex trading
affiliate programs and Co.

Yes, there are many ways to earn online income. The misconceptions apply to all the businesses related to the internet and every individual needs to find out the one that he/she is most comfortable with. I only used those examples in the article to buttress my points.

Thanks for your contribution

(1) (Reply)

Business That You Can Start With Just 10,000 "Previous Experience Not Needed" / Bvn Sms From Uba- Prepaid Card Link Your Account / Perimeter Security Fencing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.