Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,710 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List (40373 Views)

Yoruba Traditional Rulers Are United – Ooni / Beautiful Pictures Of Wedding / Engagement Rings! Come In: / Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by miteolu(m): 7:30am On Oct 03, 2015
The Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement list is presented to the groom’s family from the bride’s family some weeks prior to the traditional wedding day. The gift items asked for on the list (known as Eru Iyawo in Yoruba) are packaged and presented to the family of the bride on the traditional wedding day. The engagement list items below are not set in stone, although some like the Bible/Quoran, bitter kola, and are a must.

The items on the engagement list will differ based on what part of Yorubaland the bride’s family is from and your family may decide to ask for more or less items. The groom’s family can also haggle to reduce the number of items. The engagement list is drafted by the bride’s family members and unfortunately the bride has no say as to what is requested.

Yoruba Engagement List (Eru Iyawo List)

42 Bitter kolas (Orogbo)
42 Tubers of yam (Isu)
42 Kolanuts (Obi abata)
42 Chilli/Alligator Peppers (Atare)
42 pieces of dried Fish (Eja Osan)
1 Dish of peppered corn meal (Aadun)
1 Pack of Sugar
2 Baskets of Fruit
2 Decanters filled with honey
4 Crates of canned or bottled soft drinks
4 Crates malt soft drinks
4 Cartons of bottled water
2 Bottles of non alcoholic wine
2 Cartons of fruit juice
1 Bag of salt
1 Bag of rice
1 Umbrella
1 Goat
1 Keg of palmwine
1 Keg of groundnut oil
1 Big suitcase containing clothes, shoes and hand bags including aso-oke fabric, 2 sets of lace with gele and 2 sets of ankara
1 Wrist watch, Earrings and Chains
Biscuits and Sweets
Engagement rings for bride and groom
Bible(for Christians)
Quran, praying mat, praying kettle, rosary, white hijab, veil and tasbir (for Muslim weddings)

Money /Fees
Owo Ori (The Bride Price) – Varies
Owo Ijoko Agba (Money for the elders consent) – N,1000
Owo Baba Gbo (Money for the bride’s father’s consent) – N,1000
Owo Iya Gbo (Money for the bride’s mother’s consent) – N1,000
Owo Ikanlekun(Door knocking fee) – N1000
Owo Isiju Iyawo (Fee for unveiling the bride) – N1,000
Owo Aeroplane (Bride transportation fee) – N1,000
Owo Iyawo Ile (Money for the Housewives) -N500
Owo Omo Ile (Money for the Children of the household) – N500
Owo letter kika (Letter reading fee)-N500
Owo Telephone (Fee to call the bride out) – N500
Owo Isigba (Engagement gifts unveiling fee) – N500
Owo Alaga Ijoko (Master of Ceremonies fee) – N500

The money is collected at different points during the traditional wedding ceremony, while the gift items are arranged at the venue before the ceremony starts. Gifts are usually packaged in baskets or boxes, which are coordinated to match the wedding colour scheme or wedding theme.

Here are pictures of some packaged engagement gifts at yoruba traditional weddings.

http://www.native9ja.com/common-yoruba-traditional-wedding-engagement-list/

2 Likes

Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by mofayodeyahoo: 7:42am On Oct 03, 2015
Eyin iyawo koni meni o, amin.
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by jhydebaba(m): 7:52am On Oct 03, 2015
It varies from family to family and from town to town.

Some monies up there are not fixed too.

OP, you forgot the denomination part where you are asked to bring out all the money denominations i.e from 1000 naira, 500 naira to 5 naira.

I dislike those alagas, they can frustrate one's life. They embarrass you with endless demand for money and also waste your time.

3 Likes

Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by ammyluv2002(f): 8:08am On Oct 03, 2015
Not bad!
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by absoluteSuccess: 8:35am On Oct 03, 2015
jhydebaba:

OP, you forgot the denomination part where you are asked to bring out all the money denominations i.e from 1000 naira, 500 naira to 5 naira.

I dislike those alagas, they can frustrate one's life. They embarrass you with endless demand for money and also waste your time.
Its just one day, and its over with them. My bible tells me that we make marriage glorious, so don't frawn at a little aspect of it as this, find ways to like it and make it memorable.
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by absoluteSuccess: 8:37am On Oct 03, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Not bad!
Who is for Ghandi?
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by ammyluv2002(f): 8:52am On Oct 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Who is for Ghandi?
angry
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by scholes0(m): 8:54am On Oct 03, 2015
Which one is owo Aeroplane and owo Telefone again?
When did all that start?
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by jhydebaba(m): 9:40am On Oct 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Its just one day, and its over with them. My bible tells me that we make marriage glorious, so don't frawn at a little aspect of it as this, find ways to like it and make it memorable.
As if it is biblical, mtcheew.
Can't you smell exploitation and unnecessary spending shocked
After all, they were paid initially.

NB: frown not frawn
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by absoluteSuccess: 9:50am On Oct 03, 2015
jhydebaba:
As if it is biblical, mtcheew.
Can't you smell exploitation and unnecessary spending shocked
After all, they were paid initially.

NB: frown not frawn
I mean it is part of the fun that makes marriage glorious, the other guy said 'eniba maa segbeyawo a se gudugudu meje.'

The alaga never force anyone to drop anything, you can choose to even skip them in the scheme of things.

Yes, its frown, I made mistakes, thanks.
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by jhydebaba(m): 9:58am On Oct 03, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
I mean it is part of the fun that makes marriage glorious, the other guy said 'eniba maa segbeyawo a se gudugudu meje.'

The alaga never force anyone to drop anything, you can choose to even skip them in the scheme of things.

Yes, its frown, I made mistakes, thanks.

That's it! Scheme them out.

The alaga don't force Okay, they coerce.
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by absoluteSuccess: 10:11am On Oct 03, 2015
jhydebaba:

That's it! Scheme them out.

The alaga don't force Okay, they coerce.

But even as that, they dont do more than coerce, there is part of the money that comes back to you, the bride.

Some might need them and it is not that people being coerced can't make a personal favourable choices.

You can't choose for everybody. Little by little, hate for marriage creeps in. In other words, I can't exhaust counting the rituals I dislike in this world,

but I always remember that it is not my like or dislike that counts but the rituals and human institution.

Let the other guy be the iconoclaust, not you. Let that institution be that institution.

Peace.
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by dannydaniels(m): 10:40am On Oct 03, 2015
shit!!!am gonna marry a yoruba girl instead of ibo
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by miteolu(m): 2:06pm On Oct 03, 2015
jhydebaba:

That's another fun
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by wowmagonline: 3:20pm On Apr 23, 2022
Getting married in Yoruba land is pretty easy cos of their low bride price cost. Just follow this link and see for yourself
https://www.immigratefly.xyz/2022/04/bride-price-list-in-yoruba-land.html
Re: Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List by BestLife22(m): 11:44am On Apr 24, 2022
Did you know?
A typical Nigerian wedding is that wedding that need at least a year of serious planning plus account balance wey choke. No cap!

Dearly beloved,
We got married within 1 month of planning and I tell you our wedding was dope !

You don't have to rob a bank to get your dream wedding done in a very short time.

Here is a video where we discussed how we did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3r7K_uSah0

(1) (Reply)

King Onwa 'Eze Awo' Disgraced For Insulting Imo King Online. Photos/Videos / The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) / An Osun Lady Raised And Impregnated By Ghosts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.