Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) (249572 Views)

30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by kingofdzanga(m): 8:30pm On Oct 03, 2015
Make dem Kuma divide dis country. We are too many entirely different corrupt minded people.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by boskolin: 8:30pm On Oct 03, 2015
somegirl1:
Igbo
Igbo culture way of dressing is always a copie of other tribal form of dressing. Igbo women tie gele like Yoruba women grin.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by ADULTBASE(m): 8:33pm On Oct 03, 2015
Google is your friend
liveth101:
hw Igbo own take different tell us
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by somegirl1: 8:33pm On Oct 03, 2015
boskolin:
Igbo culture way of dressing is always a copie of other tribal form of dressing. Igbo women tie gele like Yoruba women grin.
You are wrong. Igbo women tie ichafu-isi, not gele.

8 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by EagleNest(m): 8:36pm On Oct 03, 2015
khenykhey:
The igbos are the ugliest grin Like if you agree

ha ha ha...for your mind. U can't shut them up as you would have wished.Not in this life so don't waste your energy.

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by mastasam(m): 8:36pm On Oct 03, 2015
proudly kilba from hong LGA in Adamawa state

3 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fratermathy(m): 8:37pm On Oct 03, 2015
AreaFada2:
OP. Good try but you need a bit of lesson in history and anthropology.

The Urhobo and Isoko groups are integral part of the Edoid Nation. Branches of a common family tree. Much like the Okuns are a Yoruboid branch.

To buttress my point, the current Iyase or traditional prime minister of Benin Kingdom is Urhobo. He is the second most powerful figure after the Oba of Benin.

We need to keep highlighting what unite than divide us. Clearly, the Urhobo and Isoko attire is one of the unique and colourful in 9ja.

I wrote in my post that Urhobo/Isoko are from Edo. That said, it should be noted that Edo and Urhobo are not mutually intelligible despite the seeming similarities. Both tribes are not too culturally compatible. For instance, some taboos in Benin are not taboos in Urhobo land and vice versa. Urhobos are Edoid, that is correct but they are not a dialect of Edo so that Okun-Yoruba analogy doesn't hold waters. If at all, it is more like the Yoruba-Itsekiri or Yoruba-Igala analogy that will suffice in this instance.

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by rawpadgin(m): 8:38pm On Oct 03, 2015
pet4ril:
you are welcome then, why posting that they should help you look for on NL, when you can go get them yourself?
its very dificult to see em in my city
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ugomba(m): 8:40pm On Oct 03, 2015
boskolin:
you are very wrong! Don't allow tribal hatred to eat up your soul! Just my little advice.

3 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by damola44(m): 8:40pm On Oct 03, 2015
Proudly Yoruba.
I rep my culture no matter what cool cool cool
#yorubaborn wink smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by murphyibiam15(m): 8:41pm On Oct 03, 2015
creepsyme:
thers no way tiv would have been left out among the firsts..... Tiv my origin $#%#£€ proud;&€%=÷
i know say ur face go flat like TV(television).....am just kidding ooo
good to hear that u're TIV....bc i thought all the ladies on this forum are either igbo or yoruba
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by theDEVILisHERE: 8:42pm On Oct 03, 2015
fratermathy:

Your moniker explains ALOT! So I reserve my comments.

No problem
This doesn't change the fact that the people in the country should be discussing the urgent issues regarding their co-existence together and how they will resolve that as quick as possible
This KUMBIA mentality is why most africans haven't solve their societal problems
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ugomba(m): 8:45pm On Oct 03, 2015
Nice Pics@OP..

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by pet4ril(f): 8:45pm On Oct 03, 2015
rawpadgin:
its very dificult to see em in my city
eyaa did you grow up there at all? I would have said you should make contacts with old friends. They can probably be of help
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by CherishedIma(f): 8:45pm On Oct 03, 2015
smileySame here

emmanuel596:
Proudly akwa ibom grin

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Enigma90(m): 8:50pm On Oct 03, 2015
op the ikwerres are not igbos take note
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by rawpadgin(m): 8:50pm On Oct 03, 2015
pet4ril:
eyaa did you grow up there at all? I would have said you should make contacts with old friends. They can probably be of help
cry i was born & raised in delta state

have only been to my villa 3 timess undecided
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fratermathy(m): 8:51pm On Oct 03, 2015
Enigma90:
op the ikwerres are not igbos take note

That is why I wrote disputed in brackets. Ikwerres are Igboid but not necessarily Igbos.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fratermathy(m): 8:53pm On Oct 03, 2015
rawpadgin:

Which of these are you?
1.Urhobo
-Okpe
-Uvwie
-Ujevwin
-Udu
2.Isoko
3.Ijaw
4.Itsekiri
5.Ika
6.Ndokwa
7.Anioshimili
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by pet4ril(f): 8:54pm On Oct 03, 2015
rawpadgin:

Kk all the best...
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by rawpadgin(m): 8:55pm On Oct 03, 2015
pet4ril:
Kk all the best...
bless ya
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by rawpadgin(m): 8:56pm On Oct 03, 2015
fratermathy:

Which of these are you?
1.Urhobo
-Okpe
-Uvwie
-Ujevwin
-Udu
2.Isoko
3.Ijaw
4.Itsekiri
5.Ika
6.Ndokwa
7.Anioshimili
None
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by chrisbaby24(m): 8:58pm On Oct 03, 2015
Ioannes:

please do tell us about your tribe, we woud love to know more. with pictures o
undecided
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by AreaFada2: 9:03pm On Oct 03, 2015
fratermathy:

I wrote in my post that Urhobo/Isoko are from Edo. That said, it should be noted that Edo and Urhobo are not mutually intelligible despite the seeming similarities. Both tribes are not too culturally compatible. For instance, some taboos in Benin are not taboos in Urhobo land and vice versa. Urhobos are Edoid, that is correct but they are not a dialect of Edo so that Okun-Yoruba analogy doesn't hold waters. If at all, it is more like the Yoruba-Itsekiri or Yoruba-Igala analogy that will suffice in this instance.

Actually, both are among the about two dozens Edoid languages. Consult a decent philology textbook, pay attention to Niger-Congo languages. See Edoid languages. Along with Okpe, Uvbie, Eruwa, they are the "South Western" Edo languages. Benin (not Bini as wrongly written widely), Esan, Ora are North-Central Edo langusges. Nothing to do with senatorial zones. grin cheesy

Many Urhobo words are what they were in Benin area about 600 to 500 years ago. While some of the words have evolved/changed in Benin, many elderly people in Benin still use those words.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by PreciousBro: 9:04pm On Oct 03, 2015
ezeagu:

Correct. Well, mostly, there were a few kingdoms but the heads were mainly priests, but all those Eze you see today in Abia and Imo are imported traditions (except Eze Aro).

Please i would like you to shed more light on that statement as from what i understand, if at all the benin/edo has any hegemony/influence over and on igbos,it will be igbos from the western and northern axis of igboland (Asaba,Anambra,Enugu) evidently by their proximity hence their similarity. igbos from the southern axis which is constituents of Imo,Abia and maybe Rivers,are mostly Aro' influenced .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by zikmarty: 9:15pm On Oct 03, 2015
yes oo,we be no.2 for that matter.
urhobo wadooooo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fratermathy(m): 9:16pm On Oct 03, 2015
rawpadgin:
None

Hian! Odikwa very serious...! Did you fall from the sky?
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by ezeagu(m): 9:18pm On Oct 03, 2015
PreciousBro:

Please i would like you to shed more light on that statement as from what i understand, if at all the benin/edo has any hegemony/influence over and on igbos,it will be igbos from the western and northern axis of igboland (Asaba,Anambra,Enugu) evidently by their proximity hence their similarity. igbos from the southern axis which is constituents of Imo,Abia and maybe Rivers,are mostly Aro' influenced .

The current eze (warrant chiefs) are not of Aro descent, those are copied from the Edo axis. Even looking at their regalia (beaded crowns and fan), you'll see that.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by 247Dior(m): 9:20pm On Oct 03, 2015
reppin the IGBO nation
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by axiliborha(f): 9:23pm On Oct 03, 2015
rawpadgin:
can someone look for a good esan girl for me to marry

so love em traditional dressing

main why, the hausa, kanuri & fulani look like people wen dey fight war during the 30's

little wonder they like violence
you can come and marry me but you must be God fearing and well manners
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Rushna(f): 9:24pm On Oct 03, 2015
Na Edo sure pass jhoooooor...........!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 03, 2015
axiliborha:
you can come and marry me but you must be God fearing and well manners

You're Esan? Didn't know. And is that you on your DP?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.