Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) (249607 Views)

30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fr3do(m): 9:39pm On Oct 03, 2015
No. 1 is Ika dressing, also adopted by Esans.
And Igbo is too big and historic to be modelling things after tiny edo.
Coral beads are also owned by Igbos, only that we don't overuse it.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 9:44pm On Oct 03, 2015
Armaggedon:
well when i saw the write up i wanted to ask 'are you Edo'? But i refused for fear of being accused of 'attacking the person' instead of the argument.
I knew you were a benin supremacist when you said ikwerre is disputed as an igbo tribe. Yes There is the dispute but it is only political. Hence you hear such in political discourse.
cultural piece that is
well researched do not come to that conclusion. Only an edo supremacist who wants to prey on some fictitious claim of benin origin (for political reason) by few ikwerre pple will write that.

As for your claim of igbo system being modelled after benin, it simply shows the extent ethnicity is engraved into the psyche of an average Nigerian.

Don't mind him
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by ezeagu(m): 9:48pm On Oct 03, 2015
fr3do:

Coral beads are imported, they're not tropical African.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 03, 2015
fr3do:

Esans didn't adopt anything from Ika so just stop your ignorant claims. And I don't consider the Igbo coral beads to be similar to Edo.. there's always a weak,insecure group of Igbos ruining cultural threads. It's getting real annoying.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by janefrancisca(f): 9:54pm On Oct 03, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

No problem
This doesn't change the fact that the people in the country should be discussing the urgent issues regarding their co-existence together and how they will resolve that as quick as possible
This KUMBIA mentality is why most africans haven't solve their societal problems
For all the years you have been discussing the issues regarding our existence, what solutions have you come up with or even proffer?. Please cut the OP some slack and allow us to bask in the euphoria of our diversity. tongue
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2015
fratermathy:

That is why I wrote disputed in brackets. Ikwerres are Igboid but not necessarily Igbos.

And you believed him

.why don't you study sociology
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by scholes0(m): 9:58pm On Oct 03, 2015
ezeagu:

Many african groups beads though, but they were mostly made of glass ceramic or stone.
Do you know the origin of coral beads?
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 10:01pm On Oct 03, 2015
fratermathy:

I am not Edo. I am from Delta State. I am not a supremacist! I have no ties with Edo in any way, I am even more in tandem with Igbo than Edo. I believe that Edo has an overarching influence in the tribes of the South and East, especially Anambra, Imo, Delta Igbo and Ikwerre. I wrote disputed in Ikwerre because I am aware that almost all Ikwerre people "claim" not to be Igbos.

Delta and edo is not the name if tribes pls

What tribe are u

Ikwerre is igboid and that is not disputable ...except in politics

Stop disgracing yourself here

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Zeus777: 10:01pm On Oct 03, 2015
kaura5000:
These are hausa attires
hmm indeed tribes wether consciously or subconsciously have intermixed culturally . U take away the man besides that lady"s pix and conduct a poll . I can assure u that 95% or more would say this lady is Yoruba based on this are clothes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 10:04pm On Oct 03, 2015
Some people are spewing trash about Igbos borrowing Edo culture. What's the meaning of that??
I will point at some issues since i don't have enough time here.
Firstly, no African owns the coral beads. Coral beads are imported not manufactured in pre colonial 'Nigeria'. That being said,you find all sorts of people using the coral beads from Igbo to Yoruba to Edo to Ijaw to the Efiks. These groups have different ways of wearing the coral beads. Secondly, the oldest beads in West Africa have only been found in Igboland and Mali. I hope am correcting some fallacies here.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fr3do(m): 10:06pm On Oct 03, 2015
aim5:

Esans didn't adopt anything from Ika so just stop your ignorant claims. And I don't consider the Igbo coral beads to be similar to Edo.. there's always a weak,insecure group of Igbos ruining cultural threads. It's getting real annoying.

I don't bloody care
what I know is that no. 1 is Ika attire and I saw it when I googled 'Anioma attires'.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fr3do(m): 10:07pm On Oct 03, 2015
ezeagu:

I know, by europeans.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fratermathy(m): 10:09pm On Oct 03, 2015
tonychristopher:

Delta and edo is not the name if tribes pls

What tribe are u

Ikwerre is igboid and that is not disputable ...except in politics

Stop disgracing yourself here

Au contraire, I am not disgracing myself because you are the one who seem not to harness the semantic import of my statements.
I never said Ikwerres are Igbos or not. I said Ikwerre is an Igboid group whose "Igboness" is contested by its people and the larger Igbo nation. They are more like the Isoko who proclaim themselves different from Urhobo whereas some perceive them to be the same. I have not made a personal statement on the matter so telling me that I am disgracing myself is a careless statement.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by PreciousBro: 10:12pm On Oct 03, 2015
ezeagu:

The current eze (warrant chiefs) are not of Aro descent, those are copied from the Edo axis. Even looking at their regalia (beaded crowns and fan), you'll see that.

would you also say the same of the igbos in the western and northern axis without the Nri parahenalia in their regalia ?

i know you have a point though, its just that i find that your statement rather hasty and almost fallacious given the fact that the igbos in the southern axis could share similarities with other ethnic groups they co exist with side by side, and hasty in the sense thatyou jumped the whole western and northern axis(places more similar in their prerogatives and royal rights with the edo/benin groups) to the southern igbos.....

That they have almost same emblems in their beads doesnt warrant such conclusive and seemingly farce statement.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 10:13pm On Oct 03, 2015
Secondly, no Igbo group is modelled after the Edo nation. What we have are regional kingships and royalty which do not cover the entire igboland. That being said,igbo people are not subject to any King. Even saying that Edo planted all pre colonial igbo kings is an overexaggeration. We have to understand that both Igbo, Yoruba and Edo were one people some 2,000yrs ago, the concept of kingship is not entirely alien to Igbos but the way they are set up,they would rather be kings unto themselves. Other than that, Edo kingdom at its prime set up benin frontiers and vassals in Igboland.
The other modern igbo kings are colonial imports.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 10:14pm On Oct 03, 2015
fratermathy:

Au contraire, I am not disgracing myself because you are the one who seem not to harness the semantic import of my statements.
I never said Ikwerres are Igbos or not. I said Ikwerre is an Igboid group whose "Igboness" is contested by its people and the larger Igbo nation. They are more like the Isoko who proclaim themselves different from Urhobo whereas some perceive them to be the same. I have not made a personal statement on the matter so telling me that I am disgracing myself is a careless statement.

Oga go back and do a proper research

You have been found wanting in so many things

You said Igbo monarchy is fashioned after Benin then you turned to akin
I just don't get you
You said Igbo women dress like edo
I corrected you ..you won't accept

Oga you said you are delta

And I told you delta isn't a tribe but a name of a state

Why are you making mockery of yourself here

Before you talk about people

Pls and pls research them well

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 10:15pm On Oct 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Some people are spewing trash about Igbos borrowing Edo culture. What's the meaning of that??
Firstly, no African owns the coral beads. Coral beads are imported not manufactured in pre colonial 'Nigeria'. That being said,you find all sorts of people using the coral beads from Igbo to Yoruba to Edo to Ijaw to the Efiks. These groups have different ways of wearing the coral beads. Secondly, the oldest beads in West Africa have only been found in Igboland and Mali. I hope am correcting some fallacies here.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fratermathy(m): 10:15pm On Oct 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Some people are spewing [b]trash [/b]about Igbos borrowing Edo culture. What's the meaning of that??

No man's opinion is trash! In intellectual discourse, contested facts and opinions are meta-analysed and not labelled as trash! Whether one agrees to it or not, Edo influenced Igbo culture in a whole lot of way and vice versa. This is a sociological fact of cultural neighbourliness and hegemony. So be careful of how you label what you dont agree with. Even what you have just written is quite vindictive and not well researched on the grounds that it is the Edos and particularly an Oba of Benin that started the import of coral beads to pre-colonial Nigeria. So in trying to correct a "fallacy", you spewed some bunkums. I still wont label what you wrote as a trash because you made some useful points! That is how scholarship and intellectual discourses are handled.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 10:16pm On Oct 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Secondly, no Igbo group is modelled after the Edo nation. What we have are regional kingships and royalty which do not cover the entire igboland. That being said,igbo people are not subject to any King. Even saying that Edo planted all pre colonial igbo kings is an overexaggeration. We have to understand that both Igbo, Yoruba and Edo were one people some 2,000yrs ago, the concept of kingship is not entirely alien to Igbos but the way they are set up,they would rather be kings unto themselves. Other than that, Edo kingdom at its prime set up benin frontiers and vassals in Igboland.

Are you minding that dude

Has he checked archeological finding of NRI pyramids and Igbo art works which predates that of edo

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 10:17pm On Oct 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by rawpadgin(m): 10:17pm On Oct 03, 2015
axiliborha:
you can come and marry me but you must be God fearing and well manners
i am God fearing & well mannered
but the question is, are u?
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by boskolin: 10:19pm On Oct 03, 2015
Igbo kwenu--- Abariba cool

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by rawpadgin(m): 10:19pm On Oct 03, 2015
fratermathy:

Hian! Odikwa very serious...! Did you fall from the sky?
grin
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fratermathy(m): 10:19pm On Oct 03, 2015
tonychristopher:

Oga go back and do a proper research

You have been found wanting in so many things

You said Igbo monarchy is fashioned after Benin then you turned to akin
I just don't get you
You said Igbo women dress like edo
I corrected you ..you won't accept

Oga you said you are delta

And I told you delta isn't a tribe but a name of a state

Why are you making mockery of yourself here

Before you talk about people

Pls and pls research them well

When did I say Delta is a tribe??
If I can list all the tribes in Nigeria then is it Delta, my own state, that I'd say is a tribe?
It erks me that your intellectual capacity is extremely misdirected and you have a penchant for uncouth statements. If you were so good in research, anthropology, sociology and history, then you'd engage me in an intellectual battle and not make unguarded comments as you have been doing so far.

Once again, do not repeat that statement about mockery! You know nothing of me as I of you. Let's leave it at that.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by truelovecom: 10:21pm On Oct 03, 2015
TrishaP:
Op you didn't see any beautiful ijaw picture to use just as you selectively selected that of the ibos.

Na jealousy go kill U

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fratermathy(m): 10:22pm On Oct 03, 2015
tonychristopher:

Are you minding that dude

Has he checked archeological finding of NRI pyramids and Igbo art works which predates that of edo

Nri Pyramids and all about old Igbo culture has NOTHING to do with the cultural and political hegemony of some Igbo clans by Edo. This is a proven sociological theory. In most cases, it occurs as acculturation when an ethnic group with a stronger hegemonic influence is close to other groups. If acculturation doesn't occur, some adaptations are made. Edos adapted to their neighbours, mostly the Yoruba as Igbos also adapted to the Ibibios and the Edos. This has nothing to do with the age of Nri or its pyramids.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 10:22pm On Oct 03, 2015
Thirdly, Igbo women dress like Igbos not Edo. All Southern Nigerian groups tie the wrapper either single or double as the case may be. This guy spread these assumptions and personal history should quit and stop shading igbos. Borrowed from Edo my foot. If you reach back into history, colonial historians will tell you that Edo and Igbo were alike because the white men saw clear similarities between them. Enough of this trash!

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 03, 2015
fr3do:

I don't bloody care
what I know is that no. 1 is Ika attire and I saw it when I googled 'Anioma attires'.

When it comes to the men's attire, you're wrong. The female attire on the other hand is questionable.
Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Thirdly, Igbo women dress like Igbos not Edo. All Southern Nigerian groups tie the wrapper either single or double as the case may be. This guy spread these assumptions and personal history should quit and stop shading igbos. Borrowed from Edo my foot. If you reach back into history, colonial historians will tell you that Edo and Igbo were alike because the white men saw clear similarities between them. Enough of this trash!

We get it! Now move on

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by Ihuomadinihu: 10:26pm On Oct 03, 2015
fratermathy:

Nri Pyramids and all about old Igbo culture has NOTHING to do with the cultural and political hegemony of some Igbo clans by Edo. This is a proven sociological theory. In most cases, it occurs as acculturation when an ethnic group with a stronger hegemonic influence is close to other groups. If acculturation doesn't occur, some adaptations are made. Edos adapted to their neighbours, mostly the Yoruba as Igbos also adapted to the Ibibios and the Edos. This has nothing to do with the age of Nri or its pyramids.
Wrong! Nri has everything to do with Igbos,it is part and parcel of Igbo history. Same way you can't discuss Edo without mentioning Erode walls. What did Igbos adapt from Benin?? Don't tell me that bead and wrapper nonesense.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by fratermathy(m): 10:28pm On Oct 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Once again, the usage of the word "trash". It seems your lecturers in school reiterated that word so frequently in school that it has become a permanent tip of the tongue member of your vocabulary.

You mentioned "borrowed" now. Introducing words that hitherto were not in the original discourse shows how misconstrued your reading is.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) by tonychristopher: 10:29pm On Oct 03, 2015
fratermathy:

So why must you use the term that Igbo kingship is taken from edo ..what a travesty ?/

Igbo is Republican even till date and their leadership is by consensus
While edo is monarchy and their leadership is by hereditary so why do you offend people sensibilities by posting badly research report

You have also given me how confused you are by saying delta is your tribe

If you tell me that there are cultural exchange between western Igbo and edo I can understand not all Igbo

Do you even know the distance between nsuka and Benin or ngwa and Benin

They never had contacts

Igbo women don't dress like edo

Pls accept these basic facts and corrections and know that you have been found wanting

Also have you checked the carbon dating of Igbo ukwu or nri artefact and also check if they have the same artistic style with your phantom edo

Dude you don goof here

Just accept it

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.