Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,537 members, 7,801,499 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future (55278 Views)

Sex For Mark: "OAU Female Student Should Stop Playing The Victim" - Man Says / Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU / Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by 400billionman: 11:35am On Oct 05, 2015
Some parents think they know, alas they know not.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by switstelly(f): 11:38am On Oct 05, 2015
Wise talk...
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by joseph1832(m): 11:44am On Oct 05, 2015
As a teacher, this is something I advise parents against. I let them know that choosing for their kids what to study may have dire consequences.

Some listen, and some don't. I believe its the 'Nigerian Mentality' where every parent see it fit that they have the exclusive right to decide for their kids what they should be in future, who they hang out with, who they date, what they eat with and even who they marry.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by terryFic201: 11:49am On Oct 05, 2015
Thats really nice smiley
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by emmkid(m): 11:52am On Oct 05, 2015
grin grin grin, me ah Thank God 4 ma parents, Dad is ah successful Lawyer, mum is currently ah Vice Principal, I'd always wanted to be like ma Dad since i was in primary school, despite this, Dad neva told me 2 go to art class, he was in support of effritin i diid, except d bad ones oooo, coz i was very. Very stubborn nigbayen, to d glory of God, ama Ll.B 3 law student at Osun state University, college of law, Ifetedo campus, one tin I've learnt is dah, determination n passion. Mataz in wareva yhu r doin, coz, if to sai na person tok say mha con study dis law, ah for don quench since, i for don pose hope, buh anytime ah wanna give up, i go remember sai na me tok sai ah wan study law, dem no force me, ,! Sharrout to ma Parents, yur financial, spiritual n. Moral help kept me goin grin
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Jayne07(f): 11:54am On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I have always known how to handle cars since I was a kid and I remember excitingly telling my dad my love for vehicles and why I would love to pursue a career as a truck driver or car washer in the future.

My dad didn't say a word, next thing I know, I was already at church for special deliverance. sad

Fast forward to 2015, I'm now a successful business man, selling and buying plantain in large quantities.
You can ask about me anywhere in Mushin Olosha, I'm popularly known as Baba Ologede. cool
Na u get am. Na u dey run dis show
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Boss13: 11:55am On Oct 05, 2015
People who have no knowledge about things, wake up, don't brush their teeth and start writing. Children do not really know what they want even Adults. It is a difficult thing. Only matured minds can actually sit down and determine what they truly want. It is important for Parents to guide their children on the path they should choose. Now what I would critique is the approach parents indulge. Some use force, mere folklores or insultive words. On the other hand, Children in their ignorant nature can choose some ridiculous fields probably being influenced by the media or friends.

I read something from Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. She said her dad always gives her economic books to read and made it exciting for her. Thus, her interest in economics grew. I also had a female friend, whose dad, in his effort to encourage his kids to enjoy maths, made it exciting by using word plays and games whilst promising them cash gifts if they could solve puzzles. All her sisters including herself are Engineers.

Parents can guide their children and assist them with making a good decision with career choices. It is not just by telling them, it is important to show and guide them. Draw their attention to role models, important people and I don't mean wizkid et al.

6 Likes

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by femzysticks(m): 11:57am On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I have always known how to handle cars since I was a kid and I remember excitingly telling my dad my love for vehicles and why I would love to pursue a career as a truck driver or car washer in the future.

My dad didn't say a word, next thing I know, I was already at church for special deliverance. sad

Fast forward to 2015, I'm now a successful business man, selling and buying plantain in large quantities.
You can ask about me anywhere in Mushin Olosha, I'm popularly known as Baba Ologede. cool

I just de shake my head...
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by SmartMugu: 11:58am On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:

Imagine what disastrous effect it would have had on their careers if MOHAMMAD ALI's father had forced him to be a musician and MICHEAL JACKSON's father had forced him to be a boxer...
I liked this part of the writeup most!
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Excellent7(m): 11:59am On Oct 05, 2015
montezz:
U r ryt o! I jux cnt stop thanking my parents 4dia supports. Daddy wants her big baby 2 b a medical doctor bt heck! She can talk 4 africa! I v a burning passion 4 teaching(it runs in my blood mayb 'cos my parents r teachers lol). I remember writing jargons on d wall of my room pretending 2 teach my younger ones. D day my dad saw it ehn(i done dy visualize my grave)he barked in his usual stern voice dat i clean d mess kiakia. Na so i jejely stop writing nonsense o till d day he came home wt a well moderately carved blackboard...till nw,it was d best gift i eva recieved 4rm him. Often times i try 2 picture mysf in a labcoat wit a stethoscope hanging round my neck. Bliv me,it jux wudnt fit! I love education as a career! D best tin parents can do,z 2 discova d talented embedded in dia wards;hence guide dm 2ru d ryt path.

That's just cool!
What a good memory!!
Your Dad was truely and well educated!!!
"To live in the hearts of those we live behind is not to die."

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by paschenko(m): 12:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
menix:

With this crap u have written, no child will ever want to follow ur footstep talkless follow ur career instructions..
Omo u wicked ooo! #Rotfl

2 Likes

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by pinkiberry(m): 12:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
montezz:
U r ryt o! I jux cnt stop thanking my parents 4dia supports. Daddy wants her big baby 2 b a medical doctor bt heck! She can talk 4 africa! I v a burning passion 4 teaching(it runs in my blood mayb 'cos my parents r teachers lol). I remember writing jargons on d wall of my room pretending 2 teach my younger ones. D day my dad saw it ehn(i done dy visualize my grave)he barked in his usual stern voice dat i clean d mess kiakia. Na so i jejely stop writing nonsense o till d day he came home wt a well moderately carved blackboard...till nw,it was d best gift i eva recieved 4rm him. Often times i try 2 picture mysf in a labcoat wit a stethoscope hanging round my neck. Bliv me,it jux wudnt fit! I love education as a career! D best tin parents can do,z 2 discova d talented embedded in dia wards;hence guide dm 2ru d ryt path.
dear are u an education student?
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 05, 2015
I have always been good at computers and electronics.

When I wrote my first Jamb I wanted to put A school in my native east and Conputer engineering as my course My dad resisted and made me put Ibadan as school of choice and Elect elect

I failed Jamb that year. A year later I said I wanted to put UniPort and Computer science he threatened that he wouldnt fund my schooling if I didnt put Ibadan. So I jejely put Ibadan, passed Jamb and got the average post utme score. Now if I had out computer science for Ibadan(like I wanted to do again even tho he made me put elect elect again) I would have gotten admission now I have to wait with my heart in my mouth for the change of course option... Parents shouldnt choose for their children, they should instead guide as much as possible.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by killercute16(m): 12:10pm On Oct 05, 2015
lonelydora:
I'm still watching my children for now to know what they will like.

My son love anything car, and that is why I have bought different series of toy cars for him. I pray he will hear my advice when he grows up, but, certainly not Engineering.

Why not Engineering?

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 05, 2015
parents should stop enforcing their will against their children's ability. a friend of mine wanted to go to arts class and become a journalist and honestly the guy is gifted, he does not need to think before he write anything, they flow into him freely, once he grab a pen, he is on but the parents said No "you will go to the sciences because you must be a doctor", my friend having no choice graduated from secondary school as a science student, gained admission into the university but not for medicine and surgery, he encountered some problems in school, at the long run he graduated, he still has the passion for his literature and journalism, he teaches literature in a secondary school but wants to go back to school to study Mass Comm.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by bamipet01: 12:17pm On Oct 05, 2015
Yes, u ar really talking 4rm d 3idiots movie
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 05, 2015
Drdonzeez:
You can be a tutor,and,as well a medical Doctor....Some Doctors lecture!
no b wen u pass d papers?
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Odinani(m): 12:19pm On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:

grin grin grin
Your craze, na my craze dey fear.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by basille(m): 12:20pm On Oct 05, 2015
That was how i almost became a by-force medical doctor.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by mustiiz(m): 12:37pm On Oct 05, 2015
montezz:

Hmmm I really love these
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by einsteino(m): 12:41pm On Oct 05, 2015
life isn't just about passion, passion alone wont take you anywhere. you should have passion for something profitable. My dad influenced my career choice and i don't regret it one bit. In 2007 i had my own plans, at the time i was just a kid who thought life was rice and beans. My dad looked at my grades and said your grades are good, you can virtually do anything, so lets look for something else, something that you can easily find your feet in and suits the kind of country we live in, remember i am not a politician, i don't have the contacts to help you get a job when you graduate. I rebelled initially and left my jamb form unattended to for over 3 months, the deadline drew near and seeing my dad was unflinching in his resolve, we sat down and talked it out. He called several of my uncles, aunties and cousins and they all said the same thing, so at the end i weighed ability, profitability, ease of getting a job/entrepreneurship in that profession , the passion came last.

afterall these days if you like choose heaven and earth, the public universities end up forcing courses on over 70% of their students and most graduates end up working in banks or places they never wished to because they simply can't find a job in their so-called passionate field, thus they end up going with what life decides.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by possibilita(m): 12:50pm On Oct 05, 2015
Yea its wrong but u knw(in three idiots voice) All IZ WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by cruzyteejay(m): 1:01pm On Oct 05, 2015
ccnation:
God bless you op!

Even before I started kindergarten my entire family was already calling me the Doctor of the family.... maybe because my favourite outfit then was white. However when I started growing up through primary and junior secondary school I discovered my love for arts which also reflected in my term results.

I would always view everything from an aesthetic point even when making a scientific object or diagram, but I couldn't go into the arts because everyone was expecting me to be a medical doctor. I went into the core sciences and failed woefully as my worst subjects were maths, physics & chemistry.

Fast forward today, I'm a graduate but not a doctor or in any of the sciences but also lost the opportunity of becoming an artist or in the arts. Deep down inside I'm not a fulfilled man.

I will never allow any of my child go through what I went through. The path they wish to follow is solely their decision, I will only give them guidance.

It doesn't matter what profession you follow, what's more important is self satisfaction and fulfilment.
angry
ccnation:
God bless you op!

Even before I started kindergarten my entire family was already calling me the Doctor of the family.... maybe because my favourite outfit then was white. However when I started growing up through primary and junior secondary school I discovered my love for arts which also reflected in my term results.

I would always view everything from an aesthetic point even when making a scientific object or diagram, but I couldn't go into the arts because everyone was expecting me to be a medical doctor. I went into the core sciences and failed woefully as my worst subjects were maths, physics & chemistry.

Fast forward today, I'm a graduate but not a doctor or in any of the sciences but also lost the opportunity of becoming an artist or in the arts. Deep down inside I'm not a fulfilled man.

I will never allow any of my child go through what I went through. The path they wish to follow is solely their decision, I will only give them guidance.

It doesn't matter what profession you follow, what's more important is self satisfaction and fulfilment.
eiyaa
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by tunesoft(m): 1:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
So I read through all posts...and I must confess they made sense. All the same, I don't blame parents for imposing or trying to force profession on them kids. Back then...medicine..engineering lawyer seemed to be the profession that rocked. So I will call it love out of ignorance and being myopic as features our parents displayed then. As for me..i did study science..(my parents choice)...though later enjoyed it...buh back in school dayz when I discovered I loved hanging out in theater arts department. I enjoy expressing myself too and know deep down I probably would have been a genius of some sort in art class rather than a normal science grad. All the same...God bless my parents cos all they wanted was what was good for thier children. They were ignorant...now we know better. Note peeps the economy oNigeria then too contributed to such choices.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Ezenwa11(m): 1:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
paschenko:
... Bonne semaine à vous!
Passez une bonne semaine de deux

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Les: 1:23pm On Oct 05, 2015
when I was young uptil date, i love plucking leaves and flowers while walking on the road, tear them apart, smell them and so on. right now, im currently studying crop science and horticulture. i dont know how it happened but i got my dreams currently higher than it were the past four consecutive years i have been busy running after core science courses! well, my parents left me with my choices then and now (best parents ever)
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by tosyne2much(m): 1:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:
Whether educated or not... This post or thread is directed to all parents and even the intending parents can learn one or two things from this while those who were victims may also share theire experiences.
I was in SS1 to introduce the newly promoted students to Physics as a subject... I felt there is the need for me to ask them why they chose the science department even when some of them know how demanding the department could be... I was taken aback with some of the response i got from some of the students. A female told me categorically that her passion is to become a writer in the nearest future as she love reading poems and Novel but her mother was against it. I asked her what was on her mother's mind when she said no and she told me that her mum told her emphatically that there is no Nurse in the family and as such she has to be a nurse to fulfil her mum's wish... I was left dumbfounded as the girl has no other option but to obey her
kudos my brother
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Martmore: 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2015
this is the reason why black africa will not have inventors, because all u black people care about is eating and clothing yourelves.you dont raise up men with passion for what they do.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by ruksylaser(m): 1:31pm On Oct 05, 2015
Some parents look at the paycheck and all that revealing their lacklustre greed. It's good to choose a course you have passion and flair for because you will never study for it to excel. Our educational system will forever be bad as long as we lay more emphasis on education because we are not equal in terms of intellectual and all that...

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by tosyne2much(m): 1:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
ccnation:
God bless you op!

I will never allow any of my child go through what I went through. The path they wish to follow is solely their decision,
God bless you bro

I learn a lot
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Martmore: 1:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
einsteino:
life isn't just about passion, passion alone wont take you anywhere. you should have passion for something profitable. My dad influenced my career choice and i don't regret it one bit. In 2007 i had my own plans, at the time i was just a kid who thought life was rice and beans. My dad looked at my grades and said your grades are good, you can virtually do anything, so lets look for something else, something that you can easily find your feet in and suits the kind of country we live in, remember i am not a politician, i don't have the contacts to help you get a job when you graduate. I rebelled initially and left my jamb form unattended to for over 3 months, the deadline drew near and seeing my dad was unflinching in his resolve, we sat down and talked it out. He called several of my uncles, aunties and cousins and they all said the same thing, so at the end i weighed ability, profitability, ease of getting a job/entrepreneurship in that profession , the passion came last.

afterall these days if you like choose heaven and earth, the public universities end up forcing courses on over 70% of their students and most graduates end up working in banks or places they never wished to because they simply can't find a job in their so-called passionate field, thus they end up going with what life decides.
I dont know of anybody who did not either create jobs or find a job out of something he really has passion for and worked towards it

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 05, 2015
it's not easy you know. some parents will NEVER forgive you for going against their wishes and this could haunt the child emotionally and psychologically. I wanted to be a writer/ accountant but my mom reported me to all the members of our extended family and I became the black sheep until I agreed. sometimes it's good to follow you parents advice because God could be speaking through them and if not I believe in destiny no matter what anybody does. what will be will be. today I'm studying engineering and I don't have regrets. Peace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oko Polytechnic Rector Weeps As Corrupt Lecturer Is Exposed By ACTU (Photos) / Marewo Primary School In Gombe State (Pictures) / Oriwu Model College Ikorodu Emerges Best Public School In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.