Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future (55288 Views)

Sex For Mark: "OAU Female Student Should Stop Playing The Victim" - Man Says / Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU / Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by OkoAnike(m): 1:43pm On Oct 05, 2015
cluewebhost:
it appears Michael Jackson's father made him a Musician though
Note: Michael did choose music as a career, to frank with you this topic goes beyond the scope u are presenting on this forum.... Huummmm

I will be a major part of decision making when it's come to my children career, this day every body want to be a footballer, musician and all d rest no body want to fight the so called physics & chemistry because of laziness on d part of children, please note.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by einsteino(m): 1:56pm On Oct 05, 2015
Martmore:

I dont know of anybody who did not either create jobs or find a job out of something he really has passion for and worked towards it

You make it sound as though only successful people have a passion, there are tons of unsuccessful businessman, musicians, writers, programmers e.t.c who really had passion but just didn't succeed. I know some of my peers who are really passionate about their dreams and gave up a whole lot but are still no where, they may succeed and may not. Many folks like to tell the stories of the few who succeed, deliberately leaving out the multitude who didn't. This is the real world, it is a game of chance when it comes to certain things. some people rather take the less risky path that has a certain end. if there is anything about life, somethings can not be undone.

all am saying is, passion shouldn't be the only thing that guides your ambition. it is alright to go with your passion but make sure you are fully aware of the risks and probability of failure(not talking about grades, talking abt succeeding in life), if you still want it, have a backup plan that has a backup plan.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Drdonzeez(m): 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2015
kosplateau:
no b wen u pass d papers?
Pls expatiate... I don't get you
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 05, 2015
chesm:
have alws bn gere to read comments bt his comment jst wuldnt lt me go wtawt saying smtin..u still gat tym to drive trucks @friedplantain?

I'm not particularly driving trucks now but one way or the other, I'm still into truck business. wink
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by shut(f): 2:39pm On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:
Whether educated or not... This post or thread is directed to all parents and even the intending parents can learn one or two things from this while those who were victims may also share theire experiences.
I was in SS1 to introduce the newly promoted students to Physics as a subject... I felt there is the need for me to ask them why they chose the science department even when some of them know how demanding the department could be... I was taken aback with some of the response i got from some of the students. A female told me categorically that her passion is to become a writer in the nearest future as she love reading poems and Novel but her mother was against it. I asked her what was on her mother's mind when she said no and she told me that her mum told her emphatically that there is no Nurse in the family and as such she has to be a nurse to fulfil her mum's wish... I was left dumbfounded as the girl has no other option but to obey her 'dear mum'.
As if it wasnt enough, another told me he loves designing but his dad want him to be a Pilot and he doesnt have any option.

The matter above is somehow sensitive as even the so called educated fellows make the mistake of 'departmentalising' their kids if that Word exist in the english context.

The scenario reminded me of the movie 3 idiots that i watched back then and i had to prescribe it to the students to go watch with their parents...

Imagine what disastrous effect it would have had on their careers if MOHAMMAD ALI's father had forced him to be a musician and MICHEAL JACKSON's father had forced him to be a boxer...

I Shared my impression with a friend and he stated point blankly that this is one of the many reasons why our educational sector keeps falling beyond expectation... It isnt about what they want, rather, it is about what we the parents want.

Parents have totally forgotten that they are suppose to CHOOSE WITH their Children and Not CHOOSE FOR them when it comes to their careers...

We might be vastly experienced but we still need to respect the passion of our children...

Let the children know that they need to follow excellence and success will chase them pants down as stated by Ranchoddas Chalmadas Chanchad...

I have spoken...

Can I kiss you please kiss
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by shut(f): 2:43pm On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I have always known how to handle cars since I was a kid and I remember excitingly telling my dad my love for vehicles and why I would love to pursue a career as a truck driver or car washer in the future.

My dad didn't say a word, next thing I know, I was already at church for special deliverance. sad

Fast forward to 2015, I'm now a successful business man, selling and buying plantain in large quantities.
You can ask about me anywhere in Mushin Olosha, I'm popularly known as Baba Ologede. cool

Your dad wasn't wrong,I guess the pastor that did that deliverance wasn't strong enough.
I recommend you try another deliverance
cheesy
I like your weird crazy personality tho ( kiss

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by shut(f): 2:55pm On Oct 05, 2015
My mum was so carefree,understanding and easy going.
When I was at my college finals,she asked me repeatedly what I wanted,I was confused...I asked her what she wanted for me and she just smiled and said;" I want for you to be happy doing what you want". Since that day,she became not just my best friend but my confidant and god.God bless her soul cry

My dad on the other hand can be serious and strict with his subordinates but when it came to us,he could turn a mere baby cheesy
Dad is just too understanding and calm and never spoke of his ambitions for us.
He'll always say,"It's your life and your decisions to make,your life will always reflect your decisions.think twice,thrice and as much as possible before you decide ".

I asked dad once why he never spoke too much,he said he never wants to share his views for our lives so we won't query him when if we failed grin

Thanks to my supportive parents ,I'm studying what I lovesmiley and no thanks to them, I can't complain when it gets too tough cheesy

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Laitesmart(m): 2:59pm On Oct 05, 2015
shut:

Can I kiss you please kiss
Am waiting
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by shut(f): 3:01pm On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:

Am waiting

cheesy

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:

I'm not particularly driving trucks now but one way or the other, I'm still into truck business. wink

Confam cheesy
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Orikinla(m): 3:11pm On Oct 05, 2015
My father could play the violin and loved to sing and I loved the Arts, but he wanted me to be a lawyer. At 17 I had an American recording contract and i was excited to show it to him. But he threw it away. Then I saved enough money to travel to the UK to pursue both my academic and professional career in the Arts, he did not support it. But when he became very ill, it was the money I made from the Arts that I spent on his medical bills for three years .

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by jpphilips(m): 3:12pm On Oct 05, 2015
Laitesmart:
Whether educated or not... This post or thread is directed to all parents and even the intending parents can learn one or two things from this while those who were victims may also share theire experiences.
I was in SS1 to introduce the newly promoted students to Physics as a subject... I felt there is the need for me to ask them why they chose the science department even when some of them know how demanding the department could be... I was taken aback with some of the response i got from some of the students. A female told me categorically that her passion is to become a writer in the nearest future as she love reading poems and Novel but her mother was against it. I asked her what was on her mother's mind when she said no and she told me that her mum told her emphatically that there is no Nurse in the family and as such she has to be a nurse to fulfil her mum's wish... I was left dumbfounded as the girl has no other option but to obey her 'dear mum'.
As if it wasnt enough, another told me he loves designing but his dad want him to be a Pilot and he doesnt have any option.

The matter above is somehow sensitive as even the so called educated fellows make the mistake of 'departmentalising' their kids if that Word exist in the english context.

The scenario reminded me of the movie 3 idiots that i watched back then and i had to prescribe it to the students to go watch with their parents...

Imagine what disastrous effect it would have had on their careers if MOHAMMAD ALI's father had forced him to be a musician and MICHEAL JACKSON's father had forced him to be a boxer...

I Shared my impression with a friend and he stated point blankly that this is one of the many reasons why our educational sector keeps falling beyond expectation... It isnt about what they want, rather, it is about what we the parents want.

Parents have totally forgotten that they are suppose to CHOOSE WITH their Children and Not CHOOSE FOR them when it comes to their careers...

We might be vastly experienced but we still need to respect the passion of our children...

Let the children know that they need to follow excellence and success will chase them pants down as stated by Ranchoddas Chalmadas Chanchad...

I have spoken...

You see why it is wrong for Graduates who have no background in education to be sent to the classrooms, the mental development of a child is a function of her psychological well being, peer influence and immediate microcosm.
At the developmental stage of a child, psychologically his or her brain is like a sponge that allows anything to filter through.

The child who loves mathematics is a function of their exposure at that level, the child has no idea what it takes to become anything as such his or her preference is inconsequential.

During our days, we grew up to be watching different debating societies on screen every saturday, we are thrilled to listen to Kalu otisi on NTA doing his thing, because we watch the network news, we hardly fail current affairs. Science debate, jet club etc was the order of our era.

fast forward to date, our screens are saturated with irrelevant programs, if it is not starlite contest, it is project fame, family dance etc, those lousy programmes have a lot of influence on our kids, it is s!lly to think that a kid exposed to Tuface USA tour, or Premier league will wish to be an Engineer, that will never happen.

I could remember in the late 70's a programme called "Guilty or not Guilty" shown on Tv, after watching the programme, we had the flair to argue like lawyers in our bedrooms, I am certain it is not unconnected to the love I have for Boston Legal till date.

In summary, Children's choices are borne from the exposures they get, when a child says I want to be a writer, she has no passion for writing neither does she know what it takes to write, however, her inspiration is coming from the exposure he or she is getting somewhere, may be how nice her teacher in school is and some other factors that expose her.

Nigeria has degenerated to where nobody wants to create a job but want to work, that mentality will take a toll on the next generation, what the parents are trying to do is to give their kids a safe landing where they can, why should your child be applying to drive Dangote's truck as a graduate when he could have been indoctrinated into "Ogbuenyi and sons" (the family business), what are Dangote's kids doing? Mike Adenuga nko?

This Generation is not motivated, they barely have good teachers, their media is a mess, the parents are dumb, how do you expect the child to make the right choices? how can a parent sit with kids watching big brother Africa at 3-5yrs of age? what message do you want them to get?

Start taking your kids to your various offices and repeat that question in a year's time, you will be amazed what you will hear.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by eherbal(m): 3:12pm On Oct 05, 2015
I Repeated A Class Because Of This cry
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by montezz(f): 3:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
pinkiberry:
dear are u an education student?
Yes o!
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by kenny1313(m): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I have always known how to handle cars since I was a kid and I remember excitingly telling my dad my love for vehicles and why I would love to pursue a career as a truck driver or car washer in the future.

My dad didn't say a word, next thing I know, I was already at church for special deliverance. sad

Fast forward to 2015, I'm now a successful business man, selling and buying plantain in large quantities.
You can ask about me anywhere in Mushin Olosha, I'm popularly known as Baba Ologede. cool
This guy ehen. ..... but u are good in helping me laugh......even when I lost my money.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by montezz(f): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2015
Excellent7:

That's just cool! What a good memory!! Your Dad was truely and well educated!!! "To live in the hearts of those we live behind is not to die."
Yes thanks.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by SYLVESTER777: 3:29pm On Oct 05, 2015
My son likes writing short-stories as early as when he was in primary 4(now in jss2),but we want him to be a surgeon?
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by jpphilips(m): 3:49pm On Oct 05, 2015
Boss13:
People who have no knowledge about things, wake up, don't brush their teeth and start writing. Children do not really know what they want even Adults. It is a difficult thing. Only matured minds can actually sit down and determine what they truly want. It is important for Parents to guide their children on the path they should choose. Now what I would critique is the approach parents indulge. Some use force, mere folklores or insultive words. On the other hand, Children in their ignorant nature can choose some ridiculous fields probably being influenced by the media or friends.

I read something from Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. She said her dad always gives her economic books to read and made it exciting for her. Thus, her interest in economics grew. I also had a female friend, whose dad, in his effort to encourage his kids to enjoy maths, made it exciting by using word plays and games whilst promising them cash gifts if they could solve puzzles. All her sisters including herself are Engineers.

Parents can guide their children and assist them with making a good decision with career choices. It is not just by telling them, it is important to show and guide them. Draw their attention to role models, important people and I don't mean wizkid et al.

Exactly my point, you can not expose a child to be seeing Davido's USA tour every weekend and expect him or her to make great choices for herself.
I have friends whose parents had Libraries, my dad did at some point too, there you can read about Physiology, anatomy at a very tender age, loads of mind boggling questions will make you to discover how the real world works, people like Albert Einstein and Isaac newton were the real role models.
I remember a childhood friend whose father crested E=mc2 on his bed, for years he had no idea what it means, you need to see his excitement in class the day he was taught that the inscription on his bed was the formula that inspired the Manhattan project that eventually won the second world war,
those things inspire kids, those activities shape the mindset of kids, this generation of barney and whizkid is a disaster waiting to happen.

2 Likes

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by FANE4Naija: 3:55pm On Oct 05, 2015
montezz:
U r ryt o! I jux cnt stop thanking my parents 4dia supports. Daddy wants her big baby 2 b a medical doctor bt heck! She can talk 4 africa! I v a burning passion 4 teaching(it runs in my blood mayb 'cos my parents r teachers lol). I remember writing jargons on d wall of my room pretending 2 teach my younger ones. D day my dad saw it ehn(i done dy visualize my grave)he barked in his usual stern voice dat i clean d mess kiakia. Na so i jejely stop writing nonsense o till d day he came home wt a well moderately carved blackboard...till nw,it was d best gift i eva recieved 4rm him. Often times i try 2 picture mysf in a labcoat wit a stethoscope hanging round my neck. Bliv me,it jux wudnt fit! I love education as a career! D best tin parents can do,z 2 discova d talented embedded in dia wards;hence guide dm 2ru d ryt path.

Awwww. But don't you know one can be a 'teacher' with a Medical Degree? No?
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by pinkiberry(m): 3:57pm On Oct 05, 2015
montezz:
Yes o!
me too. am studying education economics in IMO state uni.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by FANE4Naija: 3:58pm On Oct 05, 2015
osamaBUSH:
Even though my dad never came out point blank to tell me to study medicine, he stylishly tried to spur me in that direction. But thank God i did not fall for it because after seeing the live of a medical student, i couldn't but thank God for my choice to study Physics.
"Live(sic) of a medical student" If we re talking negatives here, then I think Physicists are worse for it.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by montezz(f): 3:59pm On Oct 05, 2015
FANE4Naija:

Awwww. But don't you know one can be a 'teacher' with a Medical Degree? No?
I knw. Diff strokes 4diff folks. Y go 4 a medical degree wen i can study educatn @uni. Everytn related 2medicine scares me 2d bone.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by FANE4Naija: 4:01pm On Oct 05, 2015
SirWere:
Op, the fact is most kids don't truly know what they want to become and are influenced easily by peer choice and media. Ok, when I was in JS1, I wanted to become an Astronaut! Wetin you go do for dat 1gringrin

Conclusion : Parents should not force their child but at the same time, they shouldn't leave them alone in choose their profession

Happy Teacher's day !!!!

Be like say me and you watch the same film/media. That was my dream then in Jss 1
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by FANE4Naija: 4:03pm On Oct 05, 2015
damton:
Nigerian parents can be funny attimes. They all want their children to become doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. they forgotten the need to build creative capacity among their children. lest I forget, bill gate and Steve job of apple are both high school drop out. Not downplaying the role of school, but it is overrated.
Abeg ehn, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were not 'high school drop out'.
They received the best of basic and intermediate education.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 05, 2015
FANE4Naija:

Be like say me and you watch the same film/media. That was my dream then in Jss 1
Shey you too watch dat film where one person go to the moon and saved earth from destruction ehgrin
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by FANE4Naija: 4:05pm On Oct 05, 2015
lonelydora:
I'm still watching my children for now to know what they will like.

My son love anything car, and that is why I have bought different series of toy cars for him. I pray he will hear my advice when he grows up, but, certainly not Engineering.

Boss! Nice one. But engineering is the highest paying job in US, Canada and most of Europe.

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
damton:
Nigerian parents can be funny attimes. They all want their children to become doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. they forgotten the need to build creative capacity among their children. lest I forget, bill gate and Steve job of apple are both high school drop out. Not downplaying the role of school, but it is overrated.
stop being silly, and don't vent what u don't know, those men were never school drop outs, bill gates was a havard undergraduate, they were excelling in their chosen professions academically, but at a time couldn't keep up managing both his microsoft n school, because what was coming in was very huge and required more time, so he willfuly withdrew from college... he was academically sound, likewise Zuckerberg and jobs... donot feed the public with falacies ; and donot console urself when ur academic performances are very poor, steer up urself and work hard. those men are hard workers..

2 Likes

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by FANE4Naija: 4:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
SirWere:
Shey you too watch dat film where one person go to the moon and saved earth from destruction ehgrin
LOL. No be me and you. I can't really rmbr sha. But astronautics was generating a lot of buzz then.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by damton(m): 4:10pm On Oct 05, 2015
Raymondenyi:
stop being silly, and don't vent what u don't know, those men were never school drop outs, bill gates was a havard undergraduate, they were excelling in their chosen professions academically, but at a time couldn't keep up managing both his microsoft n school, because what was coming in was very huge and required more time, so he willfuly withdrew from college... he was academically sound, likewise Zuckerberg and jobs... donot feed the public with falacies ; and donot console urself when ur academic performances are very poor, steer up urself and work hard. those men are hard workers..
.No hard feelings bro. why the vituperations. I know for certain that with your first class you would be perhaps under the employment of someone who perhaps graduated with a lower grade, where opportunities abound for you in your creative thinking. I'm not against education but I'm only stressing the need to develop our creative attitude and mind. And by the way, I graduated in flying colors to my best of ability and I'm doing fine. simple correction would have suffice.
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by FANE4Naija: 4:20pm On Oct 05, 2015
jpphilips:

You see why it is wrong for Graduates who have no background in education to be sent to the classrooms, the mental development of a child is a function of her psychological well being, peer influence and immediate microcosm.
At the developmental stage of a child, psychologically his or her brain is like a sponge that allows anything to filter through.

The child who loves mathematics is a function of their exposure at that level, the child has no idea what it takes to become anything as such his or her preference is inconsequential.

During our days, we grew up to be watching different debating societies on screen every saturday, we are thrilled to listen to Kalu otisi on NTA doing their thing, because we watch the network news, we hardly fail current affairs. Science debate, jet club etc was the order of our era.

fast forward to date, our screens are saturated with irrelevant programs, if it is not starlite contest, it is project fame, family dance etc, those lousy programmes have a lot of influence on our kids, it is s!lly to think that a kid exposed to Tuface USA tour, or Premier league will wish to be an Engineer, that will never happen.

I could remember in the late 70's a programme called "Guilty or not Guilty" shown on Tv, after watching the programme, we had the flair to argue like lawyers in our bedrooms, I am certain it is not unconnected to the love I have for Boston Legal till date.

In summary, Children's choices are borne from the exposures they get, when a child says I want to be a writer, she has no passion for writing neither does she know what it takes to write, however, her inspiration is coming from the exposure he or she is getting somewhere, may be how nice her teacher in school is and some other factors that expose her.

Nigeria has degenerated to where nobody wants to create a job but want to work, that mentality will take a toll on the next generation, what the parents are trying to do is to give their kids a safe landing where they can, why should your child be applying to drive Dangote's truck as a graduate when he could have been indoctrinated into "Ogbuenyi and sons" (the family business), what are Dangote's kids doing? Mike Adenuga nko?

This Generation is not motivated, they barely have good teachers, their media is a mess, the parents are dumb, how do you expect the child to make the right choices? how can a parent sit with kids watching big brother Africa at 3-5yrs of age? what message do you want them to get?

Start taking your kids to your various offices and repeat that question in a year's time, you will be amazed what you will hear.

Chai! Baba Boss! You said it all. Tuale!

1 Like

Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 05, 2015
damton:
.No hard feelings bro. why the vituperations. I know for certain that with your first class you would be perhaps under the employment of someone who perhaps graduated with a lower grade, where opportunities abound for you in your creative thinking. I'm not against education but I'm only stressing the need to develop our creative attitude and mind. And by the way, I graduated in flying colors to my best of ability and I'm doing fine. simple correction would have suffice.
ok sire, Welldone on ur achievements, u know this is a public forum, and your write up could most likely affect readers someway, so I usually take delight in persons doing a little research n knowing facts when commenting, so others can learn and get properly informed, not mongering some myths been paraded by the bandwagon ...all the best sire...
Re: Parents Should Stop Doing This Because Of Their Children's Future by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 05, 2015
Thanks OP... some parents go even wan influence you when u wan choose course in Jamb

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oko Polytechnic Rector Weeps As Corrupt Lecturer Is Exposed By ACTU (Photos) / Marewo Primary School In Gombe State (Pictures) / Courtney Adeleye, Nigerian Buys A Car For Her Daughter's Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.