Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car (63658 Views)

Do You Know 5 Must-check Parts When Buying A Used Car? / Buying A Used Car? These Tips May Save You Some Heartbreaks!!! / Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by shullamite: 10:11am On Oct 06, 2015
Hello house, please I want to know the documents needed wen buying a nigerian used car. should I request for the original papers of purchase? Should I demand for the custom papers? Etc. Pls advice.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by shullamite: 3:52pm On Oct 06, 2015
Hello
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 6:19pm On Oct 06, 2015
1. custom documents fully stamped and check whether all things correspond like name and model of car, VIN and all payments were made. Mostly like 6 or more papers could be photocopy if multiple cars were cleared by one dealer but make sure it is a clear crisp document not faded crap and don't take the nobody will ask you for customer paper crap, it could spell doom or stolen vehicle.

2. CMR (computerized motor registration) original copy

3. Current insurance (original copy)

4. Vehicle licence (original copy)

5. Road worthiness certificate (original copy)

6. Plate number allocation (original copy)

7. Original proof of ownership fully stamped

8. You will collect two printed and signed documents
a. Change of ownership document
b. Receipt of purchase from previous owner

There are some other documents you may need like
1. Tinted permit doc
2. police report/doc of change of ownership/plate number/engine number (which we call vin)

make sure you see the change of ownership letter given to the buyer duly signed when he first bought it as Nigerian used except the car was bought as tokunbo then you may not need this.

Once the car doesn't have custom doc except it's a beetle and the documents have expired years ago, I suggest you stay away from such ride.

173 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by shullamite: 11:48pm On Oct 06, 2015
Nurey thank u very much for this master piece of advice.

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Adegbem01(m): 11:37pm On Jan 07, 2016
Please what if it is a used imported car, what are the document needed
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by OMEGA009(m): 11:55am On Dec 26, 2016
nurey:
1. custom documents fully stamped and check whether all things correspond like name and model of car, VIN and all payments were made. Mostly like 6 or more papers could be photocopy if multiple cars were cleared by one dealer but make sure it is a clear crisp document not faded crap and don't take the nobody will ask you for customer paper crap, it could spell doom or stolen vehicle.

1. Tinted permit doc
2. police report/doc of change of ownership/plate number/engine number (which we call vin)

make sure you see the change of ownership letter given to the buyer duly signed when he first bought it as Nigerian used except the car was bought as tokunbo then you may not need this.

Once the car doesn't have custom doc except it's a beetle and the documents have expired years ago, I suggest you stay away from such ride.

Compliments of the Season to all. I want to buy a kia car that was bought in Nigeria by its first owner. Do I still need all the above listed documents? Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 12:10pm On Dec 26, 2016
OMEGA009:

Compliments of the Season to all. I want to buy a kia car that was bought in Nigeria by its first owner. Do I still need all the above listed documents? Thanks

Yes you do, but since it was bought brand new in Nigeria, you won't get a custom document, you did rather get a certificate from the dealer it was bought from (elizade, lanre shittu motors etc)

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:38pm On Dec 26, 2016
shullamite:
Hello house, please I want to know the documents needed wen buying a nigerian used car. should I request for the original papers of purchase? Should I demand for the custom papers? Etc. Pls advice.

its not what you need but what you ask from the seller

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Greatmayok: 2:34pm On Dec 26, 2016
nurey:

1. Tinted permit doc

Good day. How do I know the VIN of a tokunbo car? Is it possible to get a free VIR online? Or can you help me out with VIN report?
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 5:58pm On Dec 26, 2016
Greatmayok:

Good day. How do I know the VIN of a tokunbo car? Is it possible to get a free VIR online? Or can you help me out with VIN report?

VIN is vehicle identification number, it is also known as chasis number on documents. for cars, it is imprinted at the right hand side below the windscreen check pix for location

i am guessing you mean vin report, cause nobody sells/gets/find/buy/provide VIN, only the manufacturer. there are threads here that provide free vin report or paid for quick report

2 Likes

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by computerglobal(m): 8:30am On Dec 27, 2016
With Computerglobal vehicle history report, you’ll receive crucial facts about the car you’re looking to buy that will help you make a smart decision.

Knowledge is power when it comes to buying a vehicle

Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068 or sms vin and email address to +37257130685

Email Your Vin To Computerglobaltech at gmail dot com

www.nairaland.com/computerglobaltech
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

2 Shares

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Goldenheart(m): 7:29am On Dec 30, 2016
embarassed
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by riczy(m): 7:29am On Dec 30, 2016
Hu I go ask
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by emmabest2000(m): 7:30am On Dec 30, 2016
2015 thread
Smh ....
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by seunlayi(m): 7:30am On Dec 30, 2016
your most important document when you buy a 2nd hand car in Nigeria is your loads of neatly 20's, 50's,100, 200 Naira notes in a safe place in the car for easy handing over to our uniform men who will never let you go unless you bless them with one of those notes. If you want to prove me wrong, drive your car without any of those notes and watch them telling you that you've bought a stolen car.

Experience is the best teacher

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by echelons(m): 7:32am On Dec 30, 2016
nurey:

1. Tinted permit doc

You have said it all.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 30, 2016
T
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Ngasky(m): 7:32am On Dec 30, 2016
Informative thread
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Alasi20(m): 7:33am On Dec 30, 2016
Owkay ooooooo
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by CreampieGuy1: 7:36am On Dec 30, 2016
Cc GAZZUZZ
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by computerglobal(m): 7:40am On Dec 30, 2016
nurey:

VIN is vehicle identification number, it is also known as chasis number on documents. for cars, it is imprinted at the right hand side below the windscreen check pix for location

i am guessing you mean vin report, cause nobody sells/gets/find/buy/provide VIN, only the manufacturer. there are threads here that provide free vin report or paid for quick report

Good Morning Sir

We can get you your vehicle vin report at a cost.
Do check my profile signature for details

Thank you
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Ichel: 7:43am On Dec 30, 2016
A thread created a year, 2months ago making fp today.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by dammyagboola(m): 7:58am On Dec 30, 2016
Thank you.
The write up is informative.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Bobulopsy(m): 8:00am On Dec 30, 2016
You can easily confirm the Vin thru this site,be assured you are going to get all the vehicle history from it "www.vin-decoder.net"

Good day. How do I know the VIN of a tokunbo car? Is it possible to get a free VIR online? Or can you help me out with VIN report?[/quote]

5 Likes

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by adeoye27(m): 8:09am On Dec 30, 2016
Please dont forget to have Police clearance on proof of ownership.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by freddaboh(m): 8:28am On Dec 30, 2016
nurey:

1. Tinted permit doc

Nice piece of information.

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by yomalex(m): 8:28am On Dec 30, 2016

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by InvertedHammer: 8:39am On Dec 30, 2016
nurey:

1. Tinted permit doc

/.
This is how Nigeria complicates even the smallest of endeavours.

\

4 Likes

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by deebsman1(m): 8:59am On Dec 30, 2016
All this kind of threads are what still makes me glued to Nairaland for almost a decade. Being loyal to a forum for a decade is no child's play..

Thank you Nairaland. I've learnt more here and internet generally than I've learnt in d normal world

9 Likes

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 30, 2016
What are the documents needed 2 buy a new shoe??

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Militaryzone(m): 9:18am On Dec 30, 2016
U also need a court sworn Affidavit for d change of ownership dat it now belongs to u, police report and it receipt. Bc police men can be very funny sometimes.

3 Likes

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by infogenius(m): 9:35am On Dec 30, 2016
Ichel:
A thread created a year, 2months ago making fp today.

Yes o. It contains evergreen and timeless information.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Russian-Made 8 Wheels Shaman All-Terrain Vehicle: The Biggest SUV Ever / Policeman Scratched A Man's Lamborghini In Lagos Traffic (Video) / Lightening Destroys Lady's Car In Abuja This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.