Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import (28467 Views)

GT Bank Lifts Restrictions And Limitations On Its Naira Mastercard / CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items / FG Lifts Ban On 41 Imported Items (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by greaterlove(m): 5:00pm On Oct 08, 2015
I couldn't have said it better. God bless you.
MizMyColi:
For years, Nigeria has been moving on without particularly hearing any complain about rice shortage.

For the first time in a long time, we saw that rice did not increase in price during festive seasons.

The past administration did a good job on agriculture, one which this govt. Should be consolidating upon.

Who is the retired colonel to make such pronouncements? He has no constitutional right to do so.

I imagine that an announcement like this was made in a GEJ era, the bile and anguish would be unquantifiable.

Try to look at the bigger picture here, and how the ban has helped our local industries.
Before now, I didn't know what Ofada rice was. It seems to be the inthing these days.
I also learned that some of the rice we consume because we think they're imported are actually made and packaged here...because that's the only way it can go down our throats (knowing they're imported).

If that were the case, then we should import everything. We'll see how we'll move forward from there. When it's convenient for you guys, you scream Things will get worse before they get better...but when it isn't you scream Good Move!...all in a bid to sound politically correct and justify the government you installed.

With the rate some of you are going to justify whatever this government churns out, I hope you're ready to give same justification to your already dying conscience.

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by noblenasri(m): 5:06pm On Oct 08, 2015
so we have local rice industries? I never knew. I know only stallion
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by texazzpete(m): 5:23pm On Oct 08, 2015
Great news!
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Mike008(m): 5:28pm On Oct 08, 2015
Republlican:
This is not a good news, it will affect our local rice industries in a negative way

When we need to help our local industries to grow so they can.employ our jobless youths.
www.twitter.com/lingeriecity
As if you de chop Local Rice...
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:
We're now importing rice?

Can Nigeria just be good at something besides oil?

Can I ever say "My country Nigeria exports textile, cocoa, chicken, rice, palm oil technology etc to other countries"?
never my bro....the bloodsuckers in both the north and west wont let it happen...
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by BABANGBALI: 5:48pm On Oct 08, 2015
i am tired of rice jo
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Objektive: 5:49pm On Oct 08, 2015
CUSTOMS BOSS LIFTS BAN ABI

B00HARI LIFTS BAN?

WHY YOU DEY FEAR TO MENTION HIM NAME NAU?

OP THIS IS MISLEADING AND HYPO CRITIC.................. MTSCHEEEEEEW
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by TopHand: 6:05pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

Do you actually think before commenting or are you a programmed robot to automatically kiss ass no matter how stupid the proposal is.

This has basically destroyed all Jonathan and Adesina's efforts to boost local rice production.
Only big time rice smugglers like the Vaswani brothers would benefit from this. As always, Change undecided.
while I agree on reasoning behind boosting local production I totally disagree with the implemention, Gej govt was insincere, more interested in giving permits to cronies to import rice than really encouraging self reliance, the reason people become wise is becos we learn from past mistake and adopt ideas that actualy work, Gej govt did not learn anything from IBB failed effort to boost rice production in the 80s/90s under the SAP programme, while IBB totally banned rice, Gej decided to partially ban rice and and introduce half hazarous policies that are extremely bureaucratic full of neocronism, access to much needed resources such as loans, fertilizer, seedings etc is an headache of wasted efforts on the part of the farmer. The fact is, for the govt to boost rice production the govt has to buy the product from the farmers at a premuim price, this is how Thailand became the largest producers of rice. The US and most western govt attain self reliance in food production by ensuring that no matter the situation e.g bad weather drought/floods, dieases/pest or price crashes on the international market etc the farmer is always fully compensated for his efforts, today every year Europe, US and every developed western govt uses subsidies to support their agriculture.
Basically what I am saying is farmers not only need easier access to resources but they, more importantly need the govt to buy the haverst from them at a high premium encouraging everybody to go into farming until then the agricultural sector in nigeria will remain under utilized. if you know that the govt will pay you a top price for every rice seedling germinating on your farm regardless if drought or flood or pest or fulani man brings his cattle and destroys it even bankers will be fighting to become farmers, the programme just needs to be supported for a few years and b4 u know it rice is everywhere
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Soneh(m): 6:12pm On Oct 08, 2015
I THOUGHT THEY SAID THE SAINTLY CUSTOM BOSS WILL COME AND RESTORE SANITY TO THE NIGERIAN CUSTOM ,SO NOW INSTEAD GUARDING OUR BORDERS AND MAKING SURE SUCH BANNED PRODUCTS DON'T COME INTO OUR COUNTRY THEY OPTED FOR AN EASIER OPTION WHICH WAS LIFTING THE BAN .SO MUCH FOR THE MUCH TOUTED SAINT
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by jamesbridget13(f): 7:24pm On Oct 08, 2015
bushdoc9919:

For health reasons...I hope to reduce my rice intake completely.
u haven't answered my question sir
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by jamesbridget13(f): 7:26pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:

Not yet. Give me 5 more years aiight. But many of you are in the position and location to make this happen, but you don't.

Instead many, especially from Aba, IMPORT fake goods to sell in Nigerian markets.

Even an Asian had to tell us that everything in NIgeria is imported.
thank God for dat good dream of urs.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by jamesbridget13(f): 7:28pm On Oct 08, 2015
greaterlove:

The nigerian rice production has really grown. If you go round the market you will discover that there are a lot of made in nigeria rice in the market. Our rice has moved away from the abakaliki rice you grew up with. We now have very good refined made in nigeria rice
namely?I mean d product, may be i can try n see.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by NovusHomo(m): 7:40pm On Oct 08, 2015
Keneking:
Great...source

This government is working shocked

lalasticlala

...to kill domestic production?!
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 08, 2015
Segadem:
it is u that did not read the news.
pls answer these question faithfully

How many time did u eat local rice this year?
Don't u think the imported rice u have been eating were smuggled in?
Don't u think these smugglers enriched the labouring countries?
Oga Rome was not built in a day,before we can ban foreign rice outrightly ,let our supply out way our demand.

You are definitely ignorant.

70% of the rice you have been buying from the retail markets were locally produced and milled here in Nigeria.

Did you even notice that the price of rice became lower than that of beans in the retail market for the first time in years? Nigeria was so close to self sustainability in rice production as the previous government imposed many levies on importations to discourage it.

I give you till April next year, you definitely will see an astronomical rise in the price of rice as local producers will now stop producing and begin importing....that can never be a cheaper option! You can write this down!
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by JuanDeDios: 8:31pm On Oct 08, 2015
SenseiX:

Do you actually think before commenting or are you a programmed robot to automatically kiss ass no matter how stupid the proposal is.

This has basically destroyed all Jonathan and Adesina's efforts to boost local rice production.
Only big time rice smugglers like the Vaswani brothers would benefit from this. As always, Change undecided.
Your post is based on the misguided view that we produce enough rice. We don't. Imported rice is sold all over our cities, ban or no ban. The only thing achieved by the ban was enriching smugglers and denying government of revenue. That is, apart from creating a false sense of achievement for Jonathan and Adesina who ran the agriculture ministry by propaganda than anything else.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Carlmax(m): 9:07pm On Oct 08, 2015
ANBAKO:
What of the millions of metric tonnes of rice that GEJ said they were producing? How could you produce this amount without visible farms?

In a bid to win the presidential election at all cost they resorted to lie and figure fabrication. Where is that Agric minister that was all over the place dishing out this figures?

May God help us.

God bless you. They really fooooled themselves with all those figures. Invisible farms invisible mill invisible produce. Free the border jor, make we buy for better price jare.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Luizkid(m): 9:23pm On Oct 08, 2015
Nice move, u'll agree with me that despite d ban, imported rice still flood d mkt. Customs are just there harassing and making money from poor mkt women each day.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 08, 2015
comos:

go to nassarawa, abuja, kogi, kwara, ebonyi, gombe, et.c and see for yourself.
instead of sitting down in lagos and typing rubbish

He could even come to OSUN. I will show him around. Some people are just dumb analysts. Empty heads with loud mouths....

That you don't know where government facts are located does not mean they don't exist...or must they put rice mills in all our houses before we know there are mills in Nigeria?

Shior

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 08, 2015
JuanDeDios:

Your post is based on the misguided view that we produce enough rice. We don't. Imported rice is sold all over our cities, ban or no ban. The only thing achieved by the ban was enriching smugglers and denying government of revenue. That is, apart from creating a false sense of achievement for Jonathan and Adesina who ran the agriculture ministry by propaganda than anything else.

You really need to visit a few farms. Even in OSUN State, the quantity of rice being produced by one relatively unknown Ajogbe Farms will amaze you.

Stop castigating Jonathan ignorantly....even if he failed in everything, rice production was a yes for him...you should get informed instead of this show of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by sweatlana: 10:31pm On Oct 08, 2015
Apc slaves will support this

Buhari has nothing to offer. He will destroy this country

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by BobUg28(m): 11:17pm On Oct 08, 2015
This is good I must say. The purpose wasn't to discourage local production. It's one of the measures to boast our IGR.

I'm in support of the move. Thank God for the policy. It'll help reduce the cost of rice in the market. Am a trader, dealing basically on imported rice; Thailand, Vietnam, Indian, and basmati rice...During the period when the importation of foreign rice was banned, it grossly affected our market price. But watch out now that it has been approved, the price'll gradually reduce.

CHANGE!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by BobUg28(m): 11:23pm On Oct 08, 2015
jamesbridget13:
namely?I mean d product, may be i can try n see.

1....Ebony Rice from Ebonyi State
2...Mama's Pride from Nasarawa State
3...Ashi Rice from Benue State...etc

Go figure right!
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by BobUg28(m): 11:40pm On Oct 08, 2015
Soneh:
I THOUGHT THEY SAID THE SAINTLY CUSTOM BOSS WILL COME AND RESTORE SANITY TO THE NIGERIAN CUSTOM ,SO NOW INSTEAD GUARDING OUR BORDERS AND MAKING SURE SUCH BANNED PRODUCTS DON'T COME INTO OUR COUNTRY THEY OPTED FOR AN EASIER OPTION WHICH WAS LIFTING THE BAN .SO MUCH FOR THE MUCH TOUTED SAINT

You 'll soon know why!
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by mrnairaland1(m): 11:52pm On Oct 08, 2015
Ilekeh:

Can I ever say "My country Nigeria exports textile, cocoa, chicken, rice, palm oil technology etc to other countries"?
you can say we export money to other countries to develop their economy. We also export electricity grin
Ilekeh:

you can say we export money to other countries to develop their economy. We also export electricity
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by hakeem26(m): 3:36am On Oct 09, 2015
Dat better. 95% of the rice we consume in 9ja is smuggled in so Wat the use of the contraband
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by jamesbridget13(f): 5:24am On Oct 09, 2015
BobUg28:

1....Ebony Rice from Ebonyi State
2...Mama's Pride from Nasarawa State
3...Ashi Rice from Benue State...etc

Go figure right!
at least i have seen mama's pride. Nigeria ll get there someday

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by jamesbridget13(f): 5:27am On Oct 09, 2015
BobUg28:
This is good I must say. The purpose wasn't to discourage local production. It's one of the measures to boast our IGR.

I'm in support of the move. Thank God for the policy. It'll help reduce the cost of rice in the market. Am a trader, dealing basically on imported rice; Thailand, Vietnam, Indian, and basmati rice...During the period when the importation of foreign rice was banned, it grossly affected our market price. But watch out now that it has been approved, the price'll gradually reduce.

CHANGE!!!
#teamreducericepricexmasdonreach#
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Nurex1(m): 6:06am On Oct 09, 2015
If Ban is lifted on rice importation, then how do we expect the local rice production to boom. This is sabotaging the work of local farmers
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by abdulaa: 7:12am On Oct 09, 2015
SenseiX:

you are the one that doesn't think, vaswani was the one benefiting all this while from Jonathan policy, do they tell you vaswani import from seme, what has Adesina effort done to the increase in the price for all this while.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by nationwide1(m): 7:40am On Oct 09, 2015
Segadem:
wetin u know self? the your "acclaimed self sufficient rice production" cannot feed Lagosians one day not talk of the whole Nigeria.
How many of these your self sufficient rice dhey for market?
Do u know how many tonnes of rice smuggled into this country per day?

NB I'm not against local production but when locally made food supply can not meet-up the demand of a nation,then why banning the importation ? that's criminal
Who told you that local production cannot meet the demand of the nation? Who conducted the research and when was the research conducted?

Your blind support has obliterated your sense of reasoning.

Do you know that if agricultural sector is well harnessed, 3 states ( Benue, Taraba and Adamawa) can feed Nigeria with rice and still export excess?

What you don't know about, learn to be quiet. Blind support for anybody does not connote knowledge. Go and ask Oshiomole.

Do you know that the aforementioned 3 states have been producing very high quantity of rice but since it is not processed ( parboiled), some Nigerians don't go for them?

You really spoke as a Nigerian that has lived in only one region of the country.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Segadem(m): 8:42am On Oct 09, 2015
nationwide1:

Who told you that local production cannot meet the demand of the nation? Who conducted the research and when was the research conducted?
Can u tell us their storage capacity?

Your blind support has obliterated your sense of reasoning.
hehe to who?

Do you know that if agricultural sector is well harnessed, 3 states ( Benue, Taraba and Adamawa) can feed Nigeria with rice and still export excess?
Hey guy,u still need managerial tutorial,so u are telling me that we should wait till these three states is well harness before we eat? So u mean the fg should fold their hands till nation plunge in starvation before they sing into action?

What you don't know about, learn to be quiet. Blind support for anybody does not connote knowledge. Go and ask Oshiomole.

Do you know that the aforementioned 3 states have been producing very high quantity of rice but since it is not processed ( parboiled), some Nigerians don't go for them?
pls guy go to joke section I wonder how u passed economics in school? So u expect Nigerians to go for unfinished products?
How can u produce a commodity that
does not meet the end users standard, and you are saying government should not provide the alternative?

You really spoke as a Nigerian that has lived in only one region of the country.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by JuanDeDios: 10:40am On Oct 09, 2015
tolulakin:

You really need to visit a few farms. Even in OSUN State, the quantity of rice being produced by one relatively unknown Ajogbe Farms will amaze you.

Stop castigating Jonathan ignorantly....even if he failed in everything, rice production was a yes for him...you should get informed instead of this show of ignorance.
You accuse me of ignorance without refuting my main point - that WE DON'T PRODUCE SUFFICIENT RICE FOR THE POPULATION

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again / Tony Elumelu-How A Copier Salesman Turned Billionaire Banker And Entrepreneur / SunTrust, The Branchless Bank Opens In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.