Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,125 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import (28468 Views)

GT Bank Lifts Restrictions And Limitations On Its Naira Mastercard / CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items / FG Lifts Ban On 41 Imported Items (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by JuanDeDios: 10:45am On Oct 09, 2015
tolulakin:

You really need to visit a few farms. Even in OSUN State, the quantity of rice being produced by one relatively unknown Ajogbe Farms will amaze you.

Stop castigating Jonathan ignorantly....even if he failed in everything, rice production was a yes for him...you should get informed instead of this show of ignorance.
You accuse me of ignorance without refuting my main point - that WE DON'T PRODUCE SUFFICIENT RICE FOR THE POPULATION AT PRESENT and as such a ban is counter-productive.

Rice production did go up under Jonathan. It started going up under Obasanjo and this continued under Jonathan - I'm not sure why you think I don't know there are large farms producing rice in Osun State and elsewhere. If you produce enough rice you don't need to ban import - dealers will flood the market and undercut importers who pay thousands of dollars in transport. As long as the local rice is packaged well. If you don't produce enough rice and you ban rice, smugglers will fill the vacuum and we lose revenue. If you people can't see that, carry go.
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Sakes: 4:35pm On Oct 09, 2015
Beremx:
E remain frozen chicken o! grin grin

I hope the price of a bag of rice reduces drastically. How can a bag of rice be sold for 5k at Seme and when it gets to lagos,it is sold between 9 to 12k depending on the brand? That's too expensive!

Nevertheless,the local farmers should not be discouraged. I still eat my Ofada rice anytime,anyday. cheesy cheesy

What's your point?
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Sakes: 4:47pm On Oct 09, 2015
agora4now:
The comptroller-general of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd), has ordered the immediate removal of rice from import restriction list and the re-introduction of import duty payment at land borders.

The public relations officer of Customs, Mr Wale Adeniyi, who made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja, said that the restriction was only applied at land border stations before now, adding that the customs boss had lifted restriction on rice at border stations.
I
He said that all rice imports through land borders by rice traders would attract the prevailing import duty of 10 percent, with 60 percent levy. Rice millers (preferential levy) with valid quota allocation would also attract duty rate of 10 percent with 20 percent levy on rice importation.

“Over the years, importation has been restricted to the seaports because border authorities have found it difficult to effectively monitor and control importation of rice.

“When the decision to ban it (rice) was taken, it was not an effective measure because the smuggling of the product thrives with people using different means of conveyance, including small trucks, bicycles and even animals – putting them on donkeys and some actually carry it on their heads.

“These new measures will be for Customs to recognise their anti-smuggling operations in the border areas and ensure that all those importers through the borders bring their rice through approved routes and pay their extant duty

“Before the ban on rice importation, Customs had placed different rates of levy on rice imports – 30 percent levy was placed on rice millers (preferential levy) and 70 per cent for rice importers. The purpose was to encourage local production.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/customs-removes-rice-from-import-restriction-list-at-land-borders/114013.html
I doubt this is the best approach......
It might serve to furnish the Treasury with needed FUNDs, on the conditions that:
-The Funds are not looted beforehand
- The Funds are not looted post-project allocation
Either way, A ban might be better in the long Run...
GOVT. can obtain taxable duties it can depend on while balancing Deficits.... with Food Security.....
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Sakes: 5:11pm On Oct 09, 2015
JuanDeDios:

You accuse me of ignorance without refuting my main point - that WE DON'T PRODUCE SUFFICIENT RICE FOR THE POPULATION AT PRESENT and as such a ban is counter-productive.

Rice production did go up under Jonathan. It started going up under Obasanjo and this continued under Jonathan - I'm not sure why you think I don't know there are large farms producing rice in Osun State and elsewhere. If you produce enough rice you don't need to ban import - dealers will flood the market and undercut importers who pay thousands of dollars in transport. As long as the local rice is packaged well. If you don't produce enough rice and you ban rice, smugglers will fill the vacuum and we lose revenue. If you people can't see that, carry go.
I'm sorry to state that your point is really amiss in Strategy!!!!!
You tend to explain what happens, but not why it happens. The market can be very volatile, So do not suppose you stated the absolute....
If:
Smugglers can fill in the VACCUM under a ban policy that lets local industry develop to meet demand. Then, how do you encourage local growth in a free flow policy?How do you estimate growth in performing Agri-Loan/Fund System...
Remember the Govt. Made available extensive funds for Local production necessitating the ban to ensure demands are met with the boost in Production.... How does a Free flow encourage local production & sustain these loans in the long run....

Mind you young Man:SOME OF THE IMPORTED RICE ARE "DUMPS" from overtime, making them overtime Cheap KILLERs....which is why they are even Saleable in a supposedly third world...atimes even cheaper than local produce....The expensive ones are by by no means as nutritious as claimed. T he cost goes beyond the economy alone. In Case, you don't know most smugglerrs earn their profit before sales... Ask me how that happens...that's what should be research on... Some one has dumped a non-saleable toxic chemical in NIGERIA... for payment....
The point is that there're performing loans already.... I hope this does not become a back drop!!!!
Pls be practical in your analysis.
I think the understanding should be that Govt. Should earn its FUNDS under balanced conditions that should serve the long Run!!!!
We know they need the DUTIES....
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Sakes: 5:31pm On Oct 09, 2015
BobUg28:
This is good I must say. The purpose wasn't to discourage local production. It's one of the measures to boast our IGR.

I'm in support of the move. Thank God for the policy. It'll help reduce the cost of rice in the market. Am a trader, dealing basically on imported rice; Thailand, Vietnam, Indian, and basmati rice...During the period when the importation of foreign rice was banned, it grossly affected our market price. But watch out now that it has been approved, the price'll gradually reduce.

CHANGE!!!
You have the freedom to air your view here at least.... But
, I must tell you that trying to play with this very important issue does more harm than good....
You are no FARMER.....
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Sakes: 5:35pm On Oct 09, 2015
I'm perturbed cause I'm beginning to realize people think when they have good roads & Stadium things will be better for them....
IGR is only as good as its USE!!!!!
SO, back to your Shop!!!!!
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by grandstar(m): 6:05pm On Oct 09, 2015
SenseiX:

Do you actually think before commenting or are you a programmed robot to automatically kiss ass no matter how stupid the proposal is.

This has basically destroyed all Jonathan and Adesina's efforts to boost local rice production.
Only big time rice smugglers like the Vaswani brothers would benefit from this. As always, Change undecided.

The ban should go. There is so much smuggling which means the policy isn't working
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by grandstar(m): 6:08pm On Oct 09, 2015
Beremx:
E remain frozen chicken o! grin grin

I hope the price of a bag of rice reduces drastically. How can a bag of rice be sold for 5k at Seme and when it gets to lagos,it is sold between 9 to 12k depending on the brand? That's too expensive!

Nevertheless,the local farmers should not be discouraged. I still eat my Ofada rice anytime,anyday. cheesy cheesy

God bless you my brother. The government wants to make the country self sufficient by making food too expensive! Yeye dey smell
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by grandstar(m): 6:12pm On Oct 09, 2015
Ilekeh:
We're now importing rice?

Can Nigeria just be good at something besides oil?

Can I ever say "My country Nigeria exports textile, cocoa, chicken, rice, palm oil technology etc to other countries"?

Nigerians are good at Sorghum, snails, kolanuts, honey and many others. Instead on focusing on exporting these and making billions of dollars, the government prefers to focus on things the country has no comparative advantage
Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by BobUg28(m): 8:47pm On Oct 09, 2015
jamesbridget13:
#teamreducericepricexmasdonreach#

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 11, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Good evening. Please do you have a copy of John de st Jore's book, The Brothers War ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SunTrust, The Branchless Bank Opens In Lagos / Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again / Tony Elumelu-How A Copier Salesman Turned Billionaire Banker And Entrepreneur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.