Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,852 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:36 AM

The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (51981 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 20, 2015
Language!

Need something on Jumia?
Contact me now from my signature!
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by laurel03(m): 8:54pm On Oct 20, 2015
Wayo people
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Dottore: 8:54pm On Oct 20, 2015
I heard their women speak English when committing adultery so as to confuse their spirits in charge of enforcing anti adultery punishments.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 8:58pm On Oct 20, 2015
Dottore:
I heard their women speak English when committing adultery so as to confuse their spirits in charge of enforcing anti adultery punishments.

You heard wrong sire! Try elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 8:58pm On Oct 20, 2015
How is Isoko a "DIALECT"??
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

I've heard Isoko and can understand it. I even think Uvwie is deeper than Isoko, at least the real Uvwie, not the one spoken by the younger generation. Isoko, like Goodboiyy stated, was never a tribe until Mr. Otobo or so, a parliamentarian in the then Western Region moved for an Isoko division to be carved out of Eastern Urhobo. Otobo sold his idea and Awo bought it being that Otobo belonged to NCNC. That was how Isoko was birthed first as a division then a local government and then an ethnic extraction. However, because the people actively wanted to be identified as unique, they deliberately exaggerated linguistic variations and even added more over time. Still, apart from Isokos themselves, almost everyone sees both as the same! Urhobo is not a dialect of Isoko. Urhobo itself is an umbrella term for the progenitor of several common linguistic groups such as Uvwie, Okpe, Agbon, Isoko, etc. It's just that Isoko feels too large to be tucked together with the rest (there is a sense to it but not enough to call it a different language)

You understand Isoko ? hmmm, Make Ozoro person speak make I see if you go understand anything...uvwie is not Deep bro.. if uvwie deep wenti we go call UDU ? OFONI (Bayelsa) ?. But to my Greatest Surprise this People still maintain there Urhobo identity.. na Come Isoko ..
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by flokii: 9:01pm On Oct 20, 2015
dem talk say urhobo people sabi play wayo... how true?
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:01pm On Oct 20, 2015
omonnakoda:
How is Isoko a "DIALECT"??

That is what we are figuring out bro. You can join in the argument for and against. We are all learning. smiley
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 20, 2015
Am I the Only One lost Here??

The MoD that Actually made this FP is Obviously from U...Rho....*trying so hard to type this* ...Bo...sad

PS...The post is Like so Long! undecided Can The U..rhoboist peeps explain?? A Nigerian(Non deltan) Is Lost here...lipsrsealed

Gracias! smiley
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by CodeHouse: 9:02pm On Oct 20, 2015
Proudly Okpe cool

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:03pm On Oct 20, 2015
flokii:
dem talk say urhobo people sabi play wayo... how true?

Every tribe on the face of earth has people with inclinations to scamming others. Urhobo is not unique. 90% of scammers and so-called "wayorists" in Nigeria are not even Urhobos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:03pm On Oct 20, 2015
Estharfabian:
Am I the Only One lost Here??

The MoD that Actually made this FP is Obviously from U...Rho....*trying so hard to type this* ...Bo...sad

PS...The post is Like so Long! undecided Can The U..rhoboist peeps explain?? A Nigerian(Non deltan) Is Lost here...lipsrsealed

Gracias! smiley

Where did you go missing so that I can help you back on track?

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Afam4eva(m): 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:

I've heard Isoko and can understand it. I even think Uvwie is deeper than Isoko, at least the real Uvwie, not the one spoken by the younger generation. Isoko, like Goodboiyy stated, was never a tribe until Mr. Otobo or so, a parliamentarian in the then Western Region moved for an Isoko division to be carved out of Eastern Urhobo. Otobo sold his idea and Awo bought it being that Otobo belonged to NCNC. That was how Isoko was birthed first as a division then a local government and then an ethnic extraction. However, because the people actively wanted to be identified as unique, they deliberately exaggerated linguistic variations and even added more over time. Still, apart from Isokos themselves, almost everyone sees both as the same! Urhobo is not a dialect of Isoko. Urhobo itself is an umbrella term for the progenitor of several common linguistic groups such as Uvwie, Okpe, Agbon, Isoko, etc. It's just that Isoko feels too large to be tucked together with the rest (there is a sense to it but not enough to call it a different language)
I think that's where the distinction between an ethnic group nd a linguistic group. for instance, we can say Isoko is linguistically part of Urhobo but not necessarily ethnicallly part of it. Unlike the former, the latter cannot be by choice.

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Idrismusty97(m): 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
Even in a minority tribe/language? 11 dialects! What could be the cause of this great division?
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by pus20: 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
1. Okpe
2. Sapele
3. Uvwie
4. Udu
5. Ughelli North
6. Ughelli South
7. Ethiope East
8. Ethiope West
9. Warri South (Shared with Itsekiri)
10. Patani
11. Burutu
12. Sagbama (in Bayelsa State and shared with Ijaws and Isokos)

[size=38pt]Uhrobo is not spoken in Sagbama, what they speak in Sagbama is Ijaw. [/size]
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by JVgal(f): 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
Rep'in agbon
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Ericardo7(m): 9:05pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:
Hello Nairalanders smiley,
...Some of the "major dialects" of Urhobo are:
1. Isoko(Also has sub-dialects such as Erhowa, Enwhe and Iyede)...
1. Isoko
The Isoko Dialect of Urhobo is so broad and large that it is effectively a language of its own. Isoko is a proto-Edoid language and hence it is closer to how Urhobo once was when the people said goodbye to their Benin progenitors. Isoko has its own sub-dialects such as Iyede, Erhowa, Enwhe, Olomoro, Oleh, etc. The main dialectal difference between Urhobo and Isoko include; Use of Degwo instead of Migwo for greeting, repetition of utterances and words.i.e. "Yanzobone Yanzobone (Come here, Come here)", different names for various objects, etc. My Isoko people here can help out with more. smiley

Please sir i wish to state that isoko is not a dialect of urhobo. studies show that both ethnic groups migrated from benin, with urhobo being the younger to isoko. the main reason why urhobo has the lead over isoko and other etthnic groups in delta state is basically because that was were development first came to and this was majorly due to the oil discovered in warri and its sorrounding communities.
Thanks and God bless.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Afam4eva(m): 9:07pm On Oct 20, 2015
Ericardo7:

Please sir i wish to state that isoko is not a dialect of urhobo. studies show that both ethnic groups migrated from benin, with urhobo being the younger to isoko. the main reason why urhobo has the lead over isoko and other etthnic groups in delta state is basically because that was were development first came to and this was majorly due to the oil discovered in warri and its sorrounding communities.
Thanks and God bless.
I presume that you're Isoko then.

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 20, 2015
Afam4eva:

I don't understand Urhobo/Isoko,, so it will be difficult for me to compare these dialects But the way i see it, poltiics has a lot to do with it. It's not just about having similarities in language. It has a lot to do with statehood. For instance, the only reason in my mind why Okpe dialect which you alluded to be more connected to Isoko than Urhobo but still an Urhobo dialect is because they were influenced by other Urhobo tribes around them and probably aligned politically with the Urhobos as opposed to the Isokos.

There you get it Wrong.. Even the said Okpe, 60% Of them still believes Okpe is Okpe, some believes they re nt Urhobo.. But we re working to correct that mentality nw.. My take on this is that, That Dick head awolowo did this to reward Urhobo Nation because we didn't vote for him during his Election into the Western House.

but On a real sense Isoko is not A Language but Dialect..

2 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by PoosPoos: 9:08pm On Oct 20, 2015
UPU grin
Urhobo ovuo 'vo
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by marcondo13: 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2015
@OP,thumbs up!
Paternally,I rep the Ohrohro Ruling House,Oha of Okpe Kingdom,and maternally, the Delekpe house,Aladja of Udu Kingdom.Proudly 5%.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Ericardo7(m): 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2015
Afam4eva:

I presume that you're Isoko then.

Nah....I'm an Afghanistan
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by IYANGBALI: 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2015
i hear say urhobo people no dey shave nor trim the bear bear wey dey their armpits and yansh>. Vickyrotex and rokiatu you are from that area,is it true? URHOBO means IRUN OBO in Yoruba languagegrin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2015
Afam4eva:

I think that's where the distinction between an ethnic group nd a linguistic group. for instance, we can say Isoko is linguistically part of Urhobo but not necessarily ethnicallly part of it. Unlike the former, the latter cannot be by choice.

The bolded part of your quote sums up many years of research on Isoko and Urhobo. Kudos bro! Professors Obaro Ikime and Peter Ekeh would be proud. You've answered everything. Isoko is linguistically Urhobo mandatorily and it is ethnically different by virtue of CHOICE and not necessarily by culture or cosmological factors.

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 20, 2015
Jollyjoy oya come and see
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:12pm On Oct 20, 2015
pus20:

[size=38pt]Uhrobo is not spoken in Sagbama, what they speak in Sagbama is Ijaw. [/size]

Please goto the council headquarters and locate an Island known as Ofoni in Sagbama LGA. The people are of Tarakiri origin. Go and ask them what they speak! When you are done, come back here and reduce your font size.

6 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by marcondo13: 9:12pm On Oct 20, 2015
pus20:

you are wrong. Most of the guys that I met on campus from Sagbama,Bayelsa were bearing Urhobo names! If you go to Sagbama,you will think that you are in Ughelli.

3 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 20, 2015
isoko and urhobo are different?
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:14pm On Oct 20, 2015
Ericardo7:
Thanks and God bless.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and I am certainly not in the mood to unearth grievances and what not. We all know the simple, undeniable and basic fact that needs to be known: Urhobo vi Isoko, Ovuo'vo!

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by VickyRotex(f): 9:15pm On Oct 20, 2015
IYANGBALI:
i hear say urhobo people no dey shave nor trim the bear bear wey dey their armpits and yansh>. Vickyrotex and rokiatu you are from that area,is it true? URHOBO means IRUN OBO in Yoruba languagegrin grin grin grin grin

Yaba left no try for you at all. angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Moronke Naomi Silekunola Ogunwusi New Photos / Olu Of Warri Installs Chief Oma Eyewuoma As New Ologbotsere In Warri Kingdom / Reactions To Ooni Of Ife Prophetess Wife (Memes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.