Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,119 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (52224 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 4:29pm On Oct 21, 2015
omonnakoda:

[s]You talk like a tout so certainly you are a tout. Naturally I can tell you are Eboe that is why you would call anyone a nobody.Scholars do not rely on abuse they rely on superior arguments. You come here CLAIMING to be this and to have done that and inviting me to show you my prick so we may compare. That is an Eboe culture I will not indulge in. If you have a strong argument you should have no need for idiotic boasts
You are the one making claims not me. You are a liar you have lied several time here already
First you misspelt pubic as public and argued blindly like a bat before blaming it on your mechanic.
All your bogus claims are of no moment. A scholar who cannot spell SCHOLASTIC or PUBIC??
Crawl back into the slimy crevice you crept out of ,empty noisemaker!![/s]

You talk of claim! I have given you my name, my wiki article and my book.

And I am not "Eboe" as you deem it spelt. Because I use Igbo words doesn't make me Igbo. Or is that not your claim for the Ikwerre people?

I guess you are back for more backlash. You have nothing again on board to use other than a missing R and an added L.

You talk about ABUSE! I smile at your folly. Who started abuse here! You embarrassed your great grandfathers by derailing a thread that has virtually nothing to do with you. You slapped your matre on the face by making uncouth statements. To crown it up, you made a joke of your O'Level (if you have it at all) by focusing on medium and not matter.
You also indulged yourself as a troll and a foolhardy one at that by veiling your self-acclaimed scholarship.

I have nothing more to say to you and your type. Your words are meaningless. When you have something coherent to iterate, the world will know.

Unknown Troll with no sense of decorum. Tribal bigot with no sense of direction, purpose or even future.

Let me give you a job to do; translate this phrase, "Mad Man", into 19 Nigerian Languages.

And DONT EVER MAKE ME INSULT YOU AGAIN! It is a waste of good poetic words that should be channeled to well deserved foes and fools and not nameless trolls like you.

5 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by 2climbi: 5:20pm On Oct 21, 2015
GodsMercy1:
This list is not complete without Olomu
and idjerhe

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by 2climbi: 5:23pm On Oct 21, 2015
laurel03:
Wayo people
not wayo it's wadoo greetings
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by 2climbi: 5:26pm On Oct 21, 2015
flokii:
dem talk say urhobo people sabi play wayo... how true?
it's a greeting urhobo wadoo meaning urhobo welldone oo
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by 4C2215131: 7:55pm On Oct 21, 2015
omonnakoda:

The fewer words the better ,stop the election campaign
You have not made ANY POINT

Simple question Mr Scholar

NAME who first used the word Igboid in what publication

DATE What year

How did they define the term Igboid

When people talk too much often they are lying

Answer the simple questions I asked you.

I am not interested in Your Wikipedia page.

To be candid here, you Sir, cannot prove your case. Your opposite is providing logical arguments and such displaying traits characteristic of intellectual jaw-jaw

Sir, I would think you'd tackle him with concrete even if contestable facts as fodder for debate. But you seem vague and non-directional. Counter the OP"s submission. Enlighten us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by 4C2215131: 7:57pm On Oct 21, 2015
fratermathy:

"Manfredi (1982:175-195) suggested the term ‘Igboid’ for ‘those speech forms proximate to an Igbo centre’. Manfredi (1989) used phonological innovations to arrive at sub-grouping of Igboid. The term ‘Igboid’, in turn, has been criticised in many quarters, such as Emenanjo (2001:37) who sees it as continued attempt to bulkanize the Igbo language. Egbokhare et al. (2000:40) described the Igbo speech forms as belonging to an Igbo cluster." as quoted by Ohiri-Anichie(2011)

Manfredi, V. 1982. Centre and periphery in Ika Literacy. Journal of the Linguistic Association of Nigeria, Volume 1. pp. 175-195.
Manfredi, V. 1989. Igboid in Bendor-Samuel, J. (ed.). The Niger-Congo languages.

Meanwhile I gave you my name because you doubted my research pedigree. Keep your invectives in your tongue.

Fatality!

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by 4C2215131: 8:01pm On Oct 21, 2015
omonnakoda:
The reason why I always disgree with Afam is he suffers from the affliction of being unable to distinguish desire from reality

The term Igboid means what it means not what you want it to mean or what you believe it should mean

It was introduced to the best of my knowledge by Kay Williamson a linguistic scholar whose concern was linguistics NOT uniting people.

Her purpose was to describe things as they are in very much the same way a botanist or zoologist would.
So we cannot say a bat is a bird because it flies or a turtle is a fish because it swims.
Logic does not allow that.
Igboid means one thing and one thing only it is a linguistic classification.

To illustrate I will give one example.

English is a "Germanic" language by linguistic classification. This means English along with Deutsche, Netherlands and other languages have the same origin . It does not say anything else and even less about the PEOPLE

Bringing this back to Igboid.
There is no dispute that Ikwerre,and other Igbo languages have the same origin or origins or even that igboid languages have a similar origin to NON_-Igboid languages in Nigeria and Cameroon. It is illogical to imagine otherwise .

However The term Igboid was introduced somewhere by someone for some reason. It was an academic enterprise in the arena of LINGUISTICS and not culture or history to twist that usage to something else is dishonest.
The reality is the term has limited utility outside linguistics no more than a computer language does for speaking to computers. To try to remove the term from that context and then to extend its use for historical or anthropological validation is dishonest.

In all reality it is a very technical term that has no place in civilian conversation because its original meaning is distorted
It is a descriptive just like we call a lion a cat it does not tell us anything about the biology of lions and cats.

I have no doubt there were big enough sublanguages which if they had been if the forefront of contact with Europeans would have been used and so we may have been talking of Ngwaoid, Arooid or Ezzioid.etc

Now you're talking Sir!
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by 4C2215131: 8:11pm On Oct 21, 2015
fratermathy:

@ omonnakoda: You can sight a mechanical error and cannot construct syntactically correct utterances.

It is alright Mr Igboid Ikwerre! I guess your tribalistic sentiments have made you famous now. Write an article on this (a scholarly one) and send to my journal here: okjournals.org and I may consider it for publication.

The beauty of your work should not be sullied by your pandering to rabble rousers as I can see that you're getting worked up (naturally so). Your antagonist is not attacking your arguments but taking jabs at your psyche to wear you down.

Should you resort to shot slinging in a manner he has espoused you may cast yourself in unfavourable light. So let it be. Each his to his own. No research is all conclusive. With the light of new evidence additions and subtractions are made. Hence your detractors should understand that your stand is not infallible and as such act accordingly rather than getting all riled up.

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 8:23pm On Oct 21, 2015
4C2215131:

The beauty of your work should not be sullied by your pandering to rabble rousers as I can see that you're getting worked up (naturally so). Your antagonist is not attacking your arguments but taking jabs at your psyche to wear you down.

Should you resort to shot slinging in a manner he has espoused you may cast yourself in unfavourable light. So let it be. Each his to his own. No research is all conclusive. With the light of new evidence additions and subtractions are made. Hence your detractors should understand that your stand is not infallible and as such act accordingly rather than getting all riled up.

Thank you for your "elderly" advice. I appreciate smiley I actually regret belittling myself by this guy's attack on my psyche.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by 4C2215131: 8:31pm On Oct 21, 2015
fratermathy:

Thank you for your "elderly" advice. I appreciate smiley I actually regret belittling myself by this guy's attack on my psyche.

This is one of the reasons I stopped posting stuff here
Some folks have so much hate in their lives consuming their being and they can't do without calling you out over inane issues and suppositions. But learning must go on so kudos to you and others that are still carrying the torch of enlightement in these scholarly dark times.

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by psalmizt(m): 8:38pm On Oct 21, 2015
Goodboiyy:
Op I took my time to read your post.. Kudos.. but lemme correct some error there.. Uvwie is not considered Impure. The uvwie dialect is just deep.. And its a combination of all Urhobo dialect (Okpe, Agbon, Ughelli e.t.c).

Secondly using the case of Okpe to compare Ikwere. is wrong. from tym immemorial The Okpe are considered One of they key branch of Urhobo... You can Use Isoko-Urhobo Relationship to Compare Ikwere. And Okpe re not close to Edo as you stated above (wondering if you have seen any1 speaking that dialect) Okpe is a collection of Urhobo dialect and mostly from Isoko so what's the relationship with Edo more than Urhobo Here ?.. Am nt trying to say we re nt Edoid but just making some correction to your post.

You are complaining that Uvwie is impure then listen To Deep Udu or the Urhobo from bayelsa, U won't understand anything...

Good writeup. . So happy seeing post like this.. Seun pls help promote the awareness of our people..

Fratermathy thumbs up..

God bless the Urhobo Nation

Pls if you are from Urhobo/Itsekiri let's promote this thread so it can HIT FP like this 1

Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri

I do not consider isoko as being an Urhobo clan... Yes we must have emerged from them, we are considerably different front Urhobo. I can barely hear Urhobo not to talk of hearing. Eme wo be wolo dede? Hehehehehe good job. Followin this thread right away wink

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 9:15pm On Oct 21, 2015
psalmizt:

I do not consider isoko as being an Urhobo clan... Yes we must have emerged from them, we are considerably different front Urhobo. I can barely hear Urhobo not to talk of hearing. Eme wo be wolo dede? Hehehehehe good job. Followin this thread right away wink

No offence intended to the good people of Isoko! I posted from my vantage point. I did not intend to stir still waters and that was why I added a clause to my inclusion of Isoko which means it is contested.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by kkon(m): 11:16pm On Oct 21, 2015
prisiluv:
Realy cheesy,Cool! Both my parents re 4rm Aragba-orogun nd we spk kwale grin nt urhobo.i only knw migwo nd oghene in urhobo wink.tis rili nice 2meet u here.D only chief I knw, is D Onotuku(pardon my spelln)dnt mind me.dnt go hme much..
hmmm dats nice my grandad's name is achugbe he is olorogun in that town. Nice to meet u. And pls visit ur village so that u get more acquainted with ur culture. Lol. Besides did u see ogborugbo the last time u went to the villa.. lol that iguana scared the shit outta me the first time..
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Cully408(m): 5:53am On Oct 22, 2015
LKO:

Nice reading from u. Where are u from?
Udu and ughewie. Dad is from imode nd mum is from okwagbe

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 6:07am On Oct 22, 2015
psalmizt:

I do not consider isoko as being an Urhobo clan... Yes we must have emerged from them, we are considerably different front Urhobo . I can barely hear Urhobo not to talk of hearing. Eme wo be wolo dede? Hehehehehe good job. Followin this thread right away wink

Hehehe hw re they different oniovo ?.. Even in Urhobo I don't understand Some dialect in it.. PS: Me'r omo Urhobo Den.

So your inability for you not to understand Some part of our language doesn't make you different from us, You even Understand Okpe more than some Urhobo.. well I respect your decision on this matter.. but pls note...

Urhobo vi Isoko Ovuo'vor

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by CodeHouse: 9:00am On Oct 22, 2015
fratermathy:

Every tribe on the face of earth has people with inclinations to scamming others. Urhobo is not unique. 90% of scammers and so-called "wayorists" in Nigeria are not even Urhobos.

It is even a mis-use of the language by the Yorubas, instead of Urhobo Wa do (a form of greeting in a gathering of the Urhobos), they mistook it for Urhobo Wa yo
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by prisiluv(f): 10:38am On Oct 22, 2015
kkon:
hmmm dats nice my grandad's name is achugbe he is olorogun in that town. Nice to meet u. And pls visit ur village so that u get more acquainted with ur culture. Lol. Besides did u see ogborugbo the last time u went to the villa.. lol that iguana scared the shit outta me the first time..
hehe...yea I did! Inside my great grand father's house...lol...I ran up D stairs nd refused 2com down....dey say it does'nt hurt..Yea right! tell dat 2my adrenaline...I ran lyk hell...dey say its dier father M scared of it o..
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:44am On Oct 22, 2015
prisiluv:
hehe...yea I did! Inside my great grand father's house...lol...I ran up D stairs nd refused 2com down....dey say it does'nt hurt..Yea right! tell dat 2my adrenaline...I ran lyk hell...dey say its dier father M scared of it o..

So you are an urhobo girl from an urhobo community that speaks Ukwuani? lipsrsealed shocked

I never knew arhagba-orogun people don't speak Urhobo. Nice! Do you have an Urhobo or an Ukwuani name?
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Ufuos4Love: 12:11pm On Oct 22, 2015
Wow! God bless you OP for this great work of exposition of the rich Urhobo culture. I represent Ughelli and Ughievwen... Urhobo, Ovuovo!
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Ufuos4Love: 12:22pm On Oct 22, 2015
fratermathy:

So you are an urhobo girl from an urhobo community that speaks Ukwuani? lipsrsealed shocked

I never knew arhagba-orogun people don't speak Urhobo. Nice! Do you have an Urhobo or an Ukwuani name?
I'm sorry if poking my nose but i have to say this. It's common knowledge in Urhoboland that Orogun people are generally bilingual- speaking Urhobo and Ukwani due to some understandable factors.. 1. Orogun people are paternally from Ukwani(Orogun is the daughter of the great Urhobo patriarch Oghwoghwa, the last of 4 children- Ogor, Ughelli, Agbarha and Orogun). 2. Orogun territory also shares geographical boundaries with Ukwani hence cultural mix. NB: they are fully Urhobo people and recognise themselves as such.... Wadoo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Ufuos4Love: 12:44pm On Oct 22, 2015
But OP it's we note these observations. 1. Effurun-Otor(Ephron-Otor) and Olomu in not in Ughievwen, they are separate Urhobo kingdoms or clans among the 22 total with their own dialects. 2. Enerhen is an Udu community which speak Udu dialect but are in Uvwie L.G for administrative proposes(maybe due to boundary adjustment) 3. Abeg no Urhobo dialect is 'impure' jst that some are more largely spoken, stronger and tonal than others and Ughievwen is not an exception. Ughievwen is my mother tongue though I'm paternally from Ughelli and speak Ughelli dialect quite alright, i love Ughievwen/Udu dialect maybe 'coz i was raised with it... It's so so melodious however i agree it's quite conc. Or technical if u like. Oghene bruphiyo kewe kirobo wo kpa''Urhobo kpenu(God bless you as you promote Urhobo culture).

2 Likes

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 1:03pm On Oct 22, 2015
Ufuos4Love:
But OP it's we note these observations. 1. Effurun-Otor(Ephron-Otor) and Olomu in not in Ughievwen, they are separate Urhobo kingdoms or clans among the 22 total with their own dialects. 2. Enerhen is an Udu community which speak Udu dialect but are in Uvwie L.G for administrative proposes(maybe due to boundary adjustment) 3. Abeg no Urhobo dialect is 'impure' jst that some are more largely spoken, stronger and tonal than others and Ughievwen is not an exception. Ughievwen is my mother tongue though I'm paternally from Ughelli and speak Ughelli dialect quite alright, i love Ughievwen/Udu dialect maybe 'coz i was raised with it... It's so so melodious however i agree it's quite conc. Or technical if u like. Oghene bruphiyo kewe kirobo wo kpa''Urhobo kpenu(God bless you as you promote Urhobo culture).

Okoh! Me nyobo wvo' tare! Oyoma. Oghene kaji bruphiyo vwo kevwe! Ise!!!
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 1:06pm On Oct 22, 2015
Ufuos4Love:
I'm sorry if poking my nose but i have to say this. It's common knowledge in Urhoboland that Orogun people are generally bilingual- speaking Urhobo and Ukwani due to some understandable factors.. 1. Orogun people are paternally from Ukwani(Orogun is the daughter of the great Urhobo patriarch Oghwoghwa, the last of 4 children- Ogor, Ughelli, Agbarha and Orogun). 2. Orogun territory also shares geographical boundaries with Ukwani hence cultural mix. NB: they are fully Urhobo people and recognise themselves as such.... Wadoo.

I know this but I became surprised when she said the whole community speaks Ukwuani. I was under the notion that they speak both languages but she hinted that those in Arhagba-Orogun can speak only Ukwuani.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Ufuos4Love: 2:08pm On Oct 22, 2015
fratermathy:

I know this but I became surprised when she said the whole community speaks Ukwuani. I was under the notion that they speak both languages but she hinted that those in Arhagba-Orogun can speak only Ukwuani.
I don't think so because i know some people from Arhagba-Orogun who speak Urhobo very fluently. It's possible her family speaks more of Ukwani but i don't think it should be applied to the whole of Arhagba-Orogun.

1 Like

Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by Ufuos4Love: 2:11pm On Oct 22, 2015
fratermathy:

Okoh! Me nyobo wvo' tare! Oyoma. Oghene kaji bruphiyo vwo kevwe! Ise!!!
Wow! Ise!!!
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by psalmizt(m): 10:34pm On Oct 22, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Hehehe hw re they different oniovo ?.. Even in Urhobo I don't understand Some dialect in it.. PS: Me'r omo Urhobo Den.

So your inability for you not to understand Some part of our language doesn't make you different from us, You even Understand Okpe more than some Urhobo.. well I respect your decision on this matter.. but pls note...

Urhobo vi Isoko Ovuo'vor

Uzeme wo ta.... Ovuo ma ro.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by psalmizt(m): 10:38pm On Oct 22, 2015
Never knew a day will come that isoko will be talked about on Nairaland... Hehehehehe I tend to call the language a dying one. I only get to speak it with my folks. Anyways OP I thank you so much even though this is about Urhobo I still thank you. I don't see myself as aan Urhobo in anyway
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by prisiluv(f): 10:06pm On Oct 23, 2015
fratermathy:

hmmm,please I was talking about my family undecided. Aragba pple speak urhobo too...bt more ukwani.most of dier streets av ukwani names..my surname nd native name re both ukwani.my family is known as umu-echi...we speak urhobo very well in my village.bt more kwale.our chieftaincy titles re given in urhobo language.our culture nd traditions 100% urhobo.jst D bilingual thingy....quite unique! smiley
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by darfay: 10:07am On Oct 24, 2015
prisiluv:
hmmm,please I was talking about my family undecided. Aragba pple speak urhobo too...bt more ukwani.most of dier streets av ukwani names..my surname nd native name re both ukwani.my family is known as umu-echi...we speak urhobo very well in my village.bt more kwale.our chieftaincy titles re given in urhobo language.our culture nd traditions 100% urhobo.jst D bilingual thingy....quite unique! smiley

hmmm does d above apply 4 orogun in general and if asked ur ethnicity what would ur reply b. I know d likes of pazienza would create a thread out of this
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by darfay: 10:28am On Oct 24, 2015
scholes0:

I think isoko should be an Urhobo dialect.
let's not deceive ourselves here

I know u are very vast in stuffs lyk dis buh u got this wan wrong. Isoko is a language of it's own with various dialects. The Isoko language is older Dan the urhobo language with Erowha(in Isoko) being the oldest clan in Isoko and urhobo land. many of the urhobo clans(okpe,evrheni,uvwie,udU,orogun etc) migrated from Isoko land

But beyond dis Isoko and urhobo are wan people with different LANGUGES.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 11:11am On Oct 24, 2015
darfay:

I know u are very vast in stuffs lyk dis buh u got this wan wrong. Isoko is a language of it's own with various dialects. The Isoko language is older Dan the urhobo language with Erowha(in Isoko) being the oldest clan in Isoko and urhobo land. many of the urhobo clans(okpe,evrheni,uvwie,udU,orogun etc) migrated from Isoko land

But beyond dis Isoko and urhobo are wan people with different LANGUGES.

Isoko and Urhobo are linguistically and culturally the same but they are only ethnically different.
Re: The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 4:01pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

I am a dirty H0m0sexual who goes around Nairaland sending unwanted PMs about Homosexuall trade

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Do You Know Sarah Baartman? The Black Woman Who Died Because Of Her Sexy Body / Oore Of Mobaland: Only Person Who's Qualified To Break The News Of Ooni's Death / Buhari’s Son, Yusuf Bags Traditional Title In Daura

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.