Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. (4373 Views)

PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education / Kenneth Okwor, 24-Year-Old 1st Class Law Graduate Who Is Already A Lecturer / How A Lecturer Punished A UNILORIN Final Year Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by CHIAAGRO: 7:59pm On Oct 11, 2015
I HAVE A TESTIMONY I WISH TO SHARE WITH CREATIVE MINDS. THE REASON WHY WE DO NOT SEE SUCCESS IN LIFE IS BECAUSE THE SUCCESS IS IN THE BELLY OF THE THINGS WE IGNORE! I DROPED OUT OF MEDICINE AND SURGERY IN 2003 DUE TO FINANCIAL CHALLENGES AND ENROLLED FOR NCE PROGRAM AND OBTAINED NCE(MATH/PHY,2007) AND BECAME A VILLAGE PTA TEACHER. I DECIDED TO ATTEMPT ANOTHER DEGREE PROGRAM IN 2010,THIS TIME ELECT/ELECT! FINANCIAL CHALLENGES WERE AT THEIR PEAK BECAUSE I ALREADY HAD A WIFE AND TWO KIDS! ENT312 WAS A GENERAL COURSE WHICH WAS BORING TO MOST OF US THAT PREFERED CALCULATIONS.THE COURSE WAS ABOUT ENTERPRENEURSHIP.I PICKED INTEREST IN VOCALITY OF THIS VISITING LECTURER FROM A POLYTECNIC. HE SAID: "unless an idea that can be taken to the market,it is a waste of brain space,that is the difference between DANGOTE,BILL and you" HE ADDED, "you are POOR because the word POOR means PASSING OVER OPPORTUNITIES REPEATEDLY" HE ADDED "you must not limit yourself to dy/dx or engineering".....TO BE CONTINUED....

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by jamex93(m): 8:09pm On Oct 11, 2015
Watch out for part 2

1 Like

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Olammy76(m): 8:13pm On Oct 11, 2015
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by CHIAAGRO: 8:22pm On Oct 11, 2015
"there are opportunities right in your villages that could have changed your life but are overlooked". MY VILLAGE IS KNOWN FOR HONEY AND PALM OIL PRODUCTION. I QUICKLY GOT THE BUSINESS IDEA OF HONEY AND PALM OIL BUSINESS.BUT I DECIDED TO DO IT IN A MODERN WAY,I JOINED A WEEKEND PROGRAM IN FORESTRY DEPARTMENT THAT LASTED FOR THREE MONTHS ON BEE KEEPING AND HONEY PRODUCTION.I QUICKLY WENT BACK TO THE VILLAGE AND ESTABLISHED A BEE FARM! STARTED MARKETING HONEY FOR HUNTERS AND IN 2014,MY FARM WAS READY! THAT WAS THE CHANGE OF MY STORY! I REGISTERED A COMPANY(CHIA AGRO PRODUCTS LTD) AND MY WELL PACKAGED/LABELLEDHONEY HAS TAKEN ME UNBELIEVABLE HEIGHTS! I AM IN 500LEVEL(UNI AGRIC MAKURDI) WITH JUST A SEMESTER TO GO! THE UNIVERSITY'S CENTER FOR ENTERPRENEURSHIP TOOK IT PERSONAL AND PROMOTED MY COMPANY UNTILL LAST WEEK BENUE STATE MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE CAME LOOKING FOR ME! my CGP droped to 3.87 because of what i call business sacrifice but that worthy of praise! PLEASE EMBRACE ENTERPRENEURSHIP!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by viclawz(m): 8:30pm On Oct 11, 2015
#ghenghen
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by NiceHans: 11:06pm On Oct 11, 2015
Nice
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Les: 11:22pm On Oct 11, 2015
Even if the whole world economy comes crumbling, man, animals and plants and anything that has life must surely eat and please the god of throats. Agriculture is just one thing in this world that can never end. No matter the economic conditions of the forest, a lion can never eat grass and no matter the advancement of computers and technology, no one can ever download food online. Way to go man, keep the dream alive and the hustle, clean!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by smsshola(m): 11:33pm On Oct 11, 2015
"you are POOR because the word POOR means PASSING OVER OPPORTUNITIES REPEATEDLY" HE ADDED "you must not limit yourself to dy/dx or
engineering"....

Oro NLA...Hmmm.

This ripped my heart... "unless an idea that can
be taken to the market,it is a waste of brain
space,that is the difference between
DANGOTE,BILL and you"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Nobody: 3:34am On Oct 12, 2015
Very educating. We keep Passing Opportunities Repeatedly and the answer we seek in Sokoto might just be in our shokoto.
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by tuhot1608(m): 5:24am On Oct 12, 2015
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by agohmamuda(m): 5:31am On Oct 12, 2015
All these na long talk. How much is ur pure honey? I swear after buying this Honey of urs and u continue this long story of urs, I will take ur matters to the gods grin

1 Like

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by pendusky(m): 6:17am On Oct 12, 2015
I am impressed! that nice! kwantinue to excel bro..
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by hatux: 7:24am On Oct 12, 2015
Wow! Inspiring...
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by onismate: 7:33am On Oct 12, 2015
I have not tasted that your honey OP but I believe that when you do taste it, you will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. lolz. well op you just inspired me. Nigeria as a country, we put much of our hope on paper certificate. but I don learn something today.
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Ihinmi(m): 7:46am On Oct 12, 2015
Hmm, how many opportunities have i missed, God help me I dont want to miss it again.
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by delectablegyal(f): 8:29am On Oct 12, 2015
Is that lecturer an enterpreneur himself?

They are just brainwashing u people so u won't come and occupy their position.

Who doesn't like a white collar job?

I've come to realize that all these lecturers are only good talkers, they don't practice what they preach.
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 12, 2015
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by uchebest2006(m): 9:30am On Oct 12, 2015
delectablegyal:

I've come to realize that all these lecturers are only good talkers, they don't practice what they preach.
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by uchebest2006(m): 9:32am On Oct 12, 2015
delectablegyal:

And who told you that they dn't practice wat they preach.I hv seen a lecturer,dowie poultry businex,infact,....We cn't allow white collar Job to be our only source of income!
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 12, 2015
this is bullshyte.

einstein's ideas weren't taken to any market. look at what they have become.

not everything is money, guys. some people are actually out there, trying to solve the world's problems and the lot of you are here, discussing on how to enrich your own pockets. undecided

i can't believe an engineering lecturer said that shiit. it's even more embarrassing if he was a professor.

**EDIT**

okay, after rereading my post above, i realized that i passed a different message than i actually wanted to. so, i'm going to correct that now.

i am not against business. right? i'm an aspiring entrepreneur as well. HOWEVER, as a scientist, i do not like the statement,any idea that cannot be taken to the market is a waste of brain space.

first off, there is no way to know if your idea will ever make it to the market or not. most ideas never make it to the market until centuries after their owners died. and some never do. so . . . does that mean you should stop thinking?
democracy, feminism, anti-slavery, bill of rights . . . are just a few of great ideas that have nothing to do with markets or business. undecided are they waste of brain space?
what annoyed me even more was that a science lecturer said that. it showed that he was always thinking from a fiscal standpoint. such thinking is not healthy. because then you start thinking of how to benefit yourself the most. that's why people keep making fake and substandard products in Nigeria. because we don't think in terms of how to impact people, but how to enrich our ownselves. i don't know if you guys get my point. there are two ways to think. either in ways of how to impact others, or how to benefit yourselves. the results of thinking like these differ vastly. imagine if that professor became the president in the future. you think he would care about anyone else but himself? no, damn it. that is a waste of brain space. grin grin

other than that, i don't think there's any other thing wrong with the posts. abumeinben jaxxy Nichobabe
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Natasha2(f): 9:55am On Oct 12, 2015
Teempakguy:
this is bullshyte.

not everything is money, guys. some people are actually out there, trying to solve the world's problems and the lot of you are here, discussing on how to enrich your own pockets. undecided

i can't believe an engineering lecturer said that shiit. it's even more embarrassing if he was a professor.

I want to believe this write up is a joke, like WTF?

@op way to go, keep it up.
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by CHIAAGRO: 10:00am On Oct 12, 2015
Les:
Even if the whole world economy comes crumbling, man, animals and plants and anything that has life must surely eat and please the god of throats. Agriculture is just one thing in this world that can never end. No matter the economic conditions of the forest, a lion can never eat grass and no matter the advancement of computers and technology, no one can ever download food online. Way to go man, keep the dream alive and the hustle, clean!
THANKS ALOT!
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 12, 2015
Natasha2:

I want to believe this write up is a joke, like WTF?

@op way to go, keep it up.
undecided
do i look like i am joking? did you hear what the op said?

he said, unless an idea can be taken to market, it is a total waste of brain space.

and then he said an engineering lecturer made this known to him, do you know how insulting that is?
this is our problem in Nigeria. we only think in terms of what will benefit us and us only. we are so selfish and scatterbrained that we literally cannot imagine how our actions affect other people.
most of the greatest ideas conceived in this world was never targeted at any market. the very dy/dx the lecturer so easily washes away holds the key to infinite possibilities. undecided

what is the point of being creative when all that is in your mind is how to make money? instead of how to actually understand and impact the world around you?

1 Like

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by abumeinben(m): 10:12am On Oct 12, 2015
turns antenna to this thread......

*modified*

Seems locations outside this lahgos are springing forth.

Entrepreneurship is the bomb...its a 2-3 yr pain that's worth a lifetime glory.

So happy for u ChiaAgro ... education continues....

for me I think we made a lot of mistakes... particularly us engine grads. Just graduated from school with I.j=k certificate. Industrial Training at 400L 2nd sem is trash...ITF is corrupt...deh never pay my 15k since 2010.

I want to use this medium to beg intending otondos....after u graduate don't rush to serve...plllsssss don't. learn something new for a year and the serve the next year. (NYSC sure but securing a job might not be)

whatever u learn b4 service ...will fetch u money during service, where u ar practically free to do anything with ur time....for 1 good year!

think about this b4 you go do ur NYSC.
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by CHIAAGRO: 10:15am On Oct 12, 2015
Teempakguy:
this is bullshyte.

ALBERT EINSTEIN? E=hc was a story until the practical impact it created in the nuclear energy world. UNTIL YOU FULLY KNOW WHAT IS A MARKET? A MARKET IS NOT A PLACE! so Albert's ideas were fully marketed! THANKS

3 Likes

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 12, 2015
CHIAAGRO:
ALBERT EINSTEIN? E=hc was a story until the practical impact it created in the nuclear energy world. UNTIL YOU FULLY KNOW WHAT IS A MARKET? A MARKET IS NOT A PLACE! so Albert's ideas were fully marketed! THANKS
it was not a story, dude. it was widely accepted and widely acclaimed long before nuclear energy even took hold. besides, we are talking about two different things. einstein had very little to do with nuclear power. in fact, in his lifetime, he never believed it would work.
newton's laws of gravity, Nicolas Copernicus proving the earth was round, the elements, by Euclid, calculus, quadratic and simultaneous equations, the theory of evolution, the measurement of the earth's circumference by Eratosthenes.
all of these were developed without a market in mind. and yet, they were the ones that impacted the world the most, reshaped our thinking and took humanity to the next level.

dude, there is a reason you have a big brain, you should try using it instead of just acting like lesser primates.

ah, why do i even bother.
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Natasha2(f): 10:31am On Oct 12, 2015
Teempakguy:
undecided
do i look like i am joking? did you hear what the op said?

he said, unless an idea can be taken to market, it is a total waste of brain space.

and then he said an engineering lecturer made this known to him, do you know how insulting that is?
this is our problem in Nigeria. we only think in terms of what will benefit us and us only. we are so selfish and scatterbrained that we literally cannot imagine how our actions affect other people.
most of the greatest ideas conceived in this world was never targeted at any market. the very dy/dx the lecturer so easily washes away holds the key to infinite possibilities. undecided

what is the point of being creative when all that is in your mind is how to make money? instead of how to actually understand and impact the world around you?

Are you kidding me? As humans our first instinct is to survive, survival comes before anything else most times. You fail to understand that everyone cannot hold the key to world problems, I might have an idea in the Agricultural sector, you might have an idea in the health sector, it doesn't make me a lesser being. Remember the way the body works? Everyone cannot be thinking of bettering the "WORLD" per say. The important thing is to get your idea rolling weather it's for the market or not is for you to decide. Besides if we take a closer look at things, every idea boils down to the market in one way or the other. This "market" is not necessary financial per say.

1 Like

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by abumeinben(m): 10:37am On Oct 12, 2015
CHIAAGRO

Teempakguy:
this is bullshyte.

CHIAAGRO

well bro the E=mc2 was nothing until it was used during ww2 and then applied to power nuclear plants to benefit humanity....

well like he said, an idea not given a market stance is a huge waste of brain space and brain processing.

#thinking
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by delectablegyal(f): 10:41am On Oct 12, 2015
uchebest2006:

And who told you that they dn't practice wat they preach.I hv seen a lecturer,dowie poultry businex,infact,....We cn't allow white collar Job to be our only source of income!

What are they teaching? Is it not the same thing ur grandfather(pardon me) learnt in school that they are teaching you?

That's why you see some of them come to class without book, you will all say " that man is a guru, he is teaching without textbook" how will he not know it off hand? When he has been teaching that same course for over a decade.

He is inside ac 24/7, receiving robust salary. Impacting archaic knowledge on the student. Our educational system is faulty, it's unfortunate that there is ntn we can do about it. Sadly, this is how it will continue to be.

Won't u also wish to be lecturer?
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 12, 2015
Natasha2:

Are you kidding me? As humans our first instinct is to survive, survival comes before anything else most times. You fail to understand that everyone cannot hold the key to world problems, I might have an idea in the Agricultural sector, you might have an idea in the health sector, it doesn't make me a lesser being. Remember the way the body works? Everyone cannot be thinking of bettering the "WORLD" per say. The important thing is to get your idea rolling weather it's for the market or not is for you to decide. Besides if we take a closer look at things, every idea boils down to the market in one way or the other. This "market" is not necessary financial per say.

our first instinct is not to survive, lady. humans transcended that primitive evolutionary step long ago. right now, there are literally so many humans on the world now, that our primary objective is no longer to survive anymore. we don't need to. literally. unless you are a different species of humans that currently inhabit the earth. but that is by the way.

i am perfectly aware of the fact that not everyone can hold the key to world problems. simply because not everyone is smart enough, not every one thinks big, not everyone recognizes anything outside their monkeysphere. but what i never expected is an engineering lecturer saying that. you cannot teach true science with this foolish mentality. when you don't even understand the worth of what you are teaching your students. if this is how all lecturers really think, then Nigeria is going to spend a few more centuries being a third world than i expected.

and what is even worse is he uses it as a spur for his crusade. this is an insult to science.

1 Like

Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 12, 2015
abumeinben:

CHIAAGRO

CHIAAGRO

well bro the E=mc2 was nothing until it was used during ww2 and then applied to power nuclear plants to benefit humanity....

well like he said, an idea not given a market stance is a huge waste of brain space and brain processing.

#thinking
it was not! arrgh! you guys are missing the entire point!

you know what, forget it. go make your money. enjoy your lives, and die at an old age. not really much different from a dog death. undecided
Re: How A Lecturer Transformed My Life With One Statement In 2013. by Natasha2(f): 10:56am On Oct 12, 2015
Teempakguy:

our first instinct is not to survive, lady. humans transcended that primitive evolutionary step long ago. right now, there are literally so many humans on the world now, that our primary objective is no longer to survive anymore. we don't need to. literally. unless you are a different species of humans that currently inhabit the earth. but that is by the way.

i am perfectly aware of the fact that not everyone can hold the key to world problems. simply because not everyone is smart enough, not every one thinks big, not everyone recognizes anything outside their monkeysphere. but what i never expected is an engineering lecturer saying that. you cannot teach true science with this foolish mentality. when you don't even understand the worth of what you are teaching your students. if this is how all lecturers really think, then Nigeria is going to spend a few more centuries being a third world than i expected.

and what is even worse is he uses it as a spur for his crusade. this is an insult to science.

You're getting it all wrong, that he is a lecturer in the sciences doesn't stop him from being human and being realistic does it? You fail to understand something a market here should not be interpreted literary. If I share my ideas with you, and we walk something out with it, you have become my market. It doesn't have to yield money first.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ptdf Lss Payment Alert Dropping / 11 Oldest Ancient Artifacts You Must See Today ( Number 2 Will Make You Laugh !) / Federal Government Girls' College, Onitsha (my Alma Mater)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.