Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (312428 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / The A to Z Of Oil Palm Farming (Costs And Returns Analysis) / A-z Of Catfish Smoking Business and types of fish smoking kiln (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 6:14pm On Nov 08, 2015
globatop:
Please can u educate us on the construction of this pen, including specifications and snail density. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your question,

Different pens are built according to different locations. Weather, temperature and even a small factor such as flooding is looked into.

That underground pen is pest for hilly and shaded areas not susceptible to flooding but also receiving regular rainfall.

We dig into the ground, seal the bottom from pest and burrowers and then fill the pit with substrate to a little above ground layer.

Of course we can help you cheaply plan and construct snail pens to meet your exact land specifications , capital , snail farming method and general climate of your area.

Call or Whatsapp 0.8030964896
Green Harvest Ltd

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by koolpapa(m): 7:23pm On Nov 09, 2015
will water not flood this cage,apart from the net on the door cover is their any other thing you used
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 9:10am On Nov 11, 2015
koolpapa:
will water not flood this cage,apart from the net on the door cover is their any other thing you used

Flooding is an issue .

....just like I said up there.
It should only be practiced in upland areas that are not prone to flooding in the rainy season.

As for the nettings, if the pen doors are well braced with 2x2 rot resistant wood, it can be nailed fairly well.

I also have a newer way....

Just place the netting in between 2 layers of chicken mesh. Nails easily. And also more durable.

For anyone, who needs a more convenient approach, can reach out to us and a consultant will be on site to help you setup. Expect high professionalism.

No setup is too small or too big to handle.

Thank you koolpapa.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 9:30am On Nov 11, 2015
If you are unsure about some aspects and require a detailed business plan + quote of complete setup (in tandem with your prescribed farm land area) , a comprehensive 3yr P/L will be done.

Each is unique and will take about 3-5 working days to deliver.

Will include,

A space saving / organic maximum farm capacity.
Irrigation layout (source of water must be available)
Inclusion of extra cash crops such as hybrid plantains or dwarf pawpaws . (Optional)
Vegetable farming .
ETC.

Call 0.8030964896 For further inquiries.

We are particularly saying HI to followers of these thread who have taken the steps to startup. We would ask for their go ahead to show some pictures.

Here is Mr Ugo at a recent 2 Acre survey In Ogun state.

4 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by W3xy1(m): 8:25pm On Nov 16, 2015
i cant get limestone but can i feed them with natural chalk instead?? nzu in ibo language
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by oduz: 12:34am On Nov 20, 2015
Kudos Mr Ugo cool
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by mansionhans: 7:31am On Nov 20, 2015
Very nice information
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by cordj2: 9:01pm On Nov 20, 2015
Chairman!!! Thanks for your integrity, doing business with you is worthwhile. I got the stuff just as discussed on phone. Looking forward to doing more business ventures with you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:12pm On Nov 20, 2015
W3xy1:
i cant get limestone but can i feed them with natural chalk instead?? nzu in ibo language

Nzu is not Pure Calcium carbonate which your snails need.

Nzu is a clay. Kaolinite i think (If my Geology is still fresh).
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:14pm On Nov 20, 2015
oduz:
Kudos Mr Ugo cool

Thanks You Sir!
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:17pm On Nov 20, 2015
cordj2:
Chairman!!! Thanks for your integrity, doing business with you is worthwhile. I got the stuff just as discussed on phone. Looking forward to doing more business ventures with you.

Thanks a lot Mr R., looking forward to more business with you.
Have a blessed day...everyday!

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by diddo: 9:09am On Nov 24, 2015
Thanks a lot chairman. I have learnt a lot from your post and I have followed attentively. ill like to start up a snail farm, but my house is all concrete. is it possible to have a cage constructed, or do I use car tyres? or can you help me construct a cage? what will you recommend?

if I use car tyres, what do I place at the bottom, soil? and how do I prevent rain from entering?
where do I get snails from sef? what size is best to buy?

my total budget for this venture is 30,000 for the snails and d housing. thank you sir, hope my questions are not too many

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 11:19am On Nov 24, 2015
diddo:
Thanks a lot chairman. I have learnt a lot from your post and I have followed attentively. ill like to start up a snail farm, but my house is all concrete. is it possible to have a cage constructed, or do I use car tyres? or can you help me construct a cage? what will you recommend?

if I use car tyres, what do I place at the bottom, soil? and how do I prevent rain from entering?
where do I get snails from sef? what size is best to buy?

my total budget for this venture is 30,000 for the snails and d housing. thank you sir, hope my questions are not too many

I would advice you build pens with cement blocks.

I just finished a job upgrading a rotting wooden pen .

The pics will give you an idea.

NOTE- I RECOMMEND FREE RANGE SNAIL FARMING BUT YOUR FLOOR IS CEMENTED.
FREE RANGE SYSTEM CAN BE SETUP FOR PRIVATE USE ON ABOUT 5SQM. IT CAN FORM A GARDEN AND WOULD PROVIDE YOUR FAMILY VEGETABLES SUCH AS CABBAGES , CARROTS, TOMATOES ON A REGULAR.

FOR A PLOT OF LAND (60X120 FEET, A 15,000 CAPACITY CAN BE PUT IN PLACE. MODERN "STRESSLESS" FARMING. DECENT PROFIT MARGINS AFTER 8-12 MONTHS OF SETUP.

OR THE INDUSTRIAL TYPE FOR 20ACRES I HAVE ALWAYS DREAMED OF AND WORKING TOWARDS THAT CAN RAISE 1.8MILLION THEORETICALLY.

WHAT AM I TRYING TO SAY IN ESSENCE?

...SNAIL FARMING CAN BE DONE ON ANY SCALE AND THE BASIC PRINCIPLES HOLD AS THE MODEL BECOMES LARGER.

Your 30,000 can build you 2 pens of 3blocks by 9blocks to 2blocks in height. That's 3x2 + 9x2 all multiplied by 2 (the height). 48 Blocks in all. Buy 55 Anyways!

2X2 wood lids framed with chicken wire and net mesh should form the pen cover.

Fill with sterile sandy loam and follow the other things you have learned on the thread.

Today is your lucky day mate as I usually charge for such information. (Who wants a competition anyways?).

Stay good.

Snail farming is a slow but stable way of making money. I can however maximise your margins by integrating mixed organic farming into the mix.

To find out all out takes to start today, call or Whatsapp 080.30964896 To discuss your needs and receive professional planning, project setup, management etc.

We are very affordable.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by easy66(m): 1:00pm On Nov 24, 2015
Thank A Lot For Your Lecture,It Is Very Interesting,But The Snails Lay egg underground how will i know when they lay them.thanks.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by W3xy1(m): 11:11am On Nov 25, 2015
my snails have started laying eggs. But the stuff are damn too small. Is this hw snails eggs are?

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 6:58pm On Nov 25, 2015
easy66:
Thank A Lot For Your Lecture,It Is Very Interesting,But The Snails Lay egg underground how will i know when they lay them.thanks.

Use your fingers to disturb the top soil around the edges of your pen. The clusters of "gold" won't be hard to miss.

Also, anywhere there is an egg, dig further carefully. There are bound to be more.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 7:00pm On Nov 25, 2015
W3xy1:
my snails have started laying eggs. But the stuff are damn too small. Is this hw snails eggs are?

Those are snail eggs alright.

Give them a moist (not wet) soil to great on and you will be a snail daddy in less than 21 days.

5 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by W3xy1(m): 2:06pm On Dec 01, 2015
lordhugo:

Those are snail eggs alright.

Give them a moist (not wet) soil to great on and you will be a snail daddy in less than 21 days.
the eggs have started hatching.. Which type of food should i feed them with
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by okith: 9:57pm On Dec 02, 2015
Very informative. Thanks LordHugo. Can you please give more information about the electric incubator?

Thanks again
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2015
W3xy1:
the eggs have started hatching.. Which type of food should i feed them with

Soft and fresh vegetables.
They need all the moisture they can get.

Pawpaw, watermelon.....etc

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:55pm On Dec 02, 2015
okith:
Very informative. Thanks LordHugo. Can you please give more information about the electric incubator?

Thanks again

Please call or whatsapp 0.8030964896 to order your electric incubators.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by iNanaAma: 2:13pm On Dec 12, 2015
Hiii
Js reading ur posts. V educative. Kuudos

Wanna find out hw u protect against the tiny insects that parasite on snail eggs and hatchlings.
They infiltrated and consumed all my eggs.

Secondly can eggs be placed in the fridge for hatching?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 11:58pm On Dec 13, 2015
iNanaAma:
Hiii
Js reading ur posts. V educative. Kuudos

Wanna find out hw u protect against the tiny insects that parasite on snail eggs and hatchlings.
They infiltrated and consumed all my eggs.

Secondly can eggs be placed in the fridge for hatching?

Hello and sorry about the late reply. (I have been neck deep in new projects. Not that I am complaining. MORE PROJECTS ARE WELCOME!).

To your questions,

1. To protect Against flying insects, a layer of "mosquito or window netting" in addition to chicken wire will deter most insecta from accessing your pens.
For crawling insects, apply insect powder (Piff paff , Rambo etc) around the outer fringes of your pens. Engine oil can be messy .

Note. If you already have a huge infestation, I suggest removing your stock and sterilization of the soil substrate.

2. Do you mean a working fridge? No no no. Eggs require a temperature range of about 28-32 degrees Celsius. A working fridge will give you frozen eggs.
Note. I can see an adaptation for an incubator with an old disused fridge in my head right now. I might be able to work out a good one if it was all I had.

Please continue with soil and tray method or leave the eggs in the pen soil (after dealing with the insect problem).

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by iNanaAma: 9:39pm On Dec 15, 2015
Tx.
Am interested in knowing the unused fridge technique.

Additiinally these insects am talkin about are seemingly from nowhere.
All they do is appear within the shells.

My first encounter with them was wen i lifted a shell and saw them in instead. The shell was light and there was no liquid in it.
The insects are very pale looking, almost colourless and so tiny you would think they are part of ghe liquid in the shells.
Aside the eggs, i have never encounted them before. They do not grow into larger insects or other recognisable animals.

They just consume the eggs. cry
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 11:02pm On Dec 15, 2015
iNanaAma:
Tx.
Am interested in knowing the unused fridge technique.

Additiinally these insects am talkin about are seemingly from nowhere.
All they do is appear within the shells.

My first encounter with them was wen i lifted a shell and saw them in instead. The shell was light and there was no liquid in it.
The insects are very pale looking, almost colourless and so tiny you would think they are part of ghe liquid in the shells.
Aside the eggs, i have never encounted them before. They do not grow into larger insects or other recognisable animals.

They just consume the eggs. cry

They seem to generate out of "nowhere" because they are actually hatched larvae of some insects. Some insects lay their eggs in or on the shells so that their young ones will have a healthy start to life (at our eggs expense. We no go agree).

This is also the case when the fly lays its eggs in a mature snail and the "maggots" larvae kills them.

Do a restart of your farm.

Change the substrate and bio secure your pens.

...as for the "fridge incubator" ..... eggs can be put in trays (sandwiched between moist soil) and placed in the different layers of the disused fridge) .

What I am skeptic about is the need for air inflow.

A bowl of water can be put in there to maintain high relative humidity.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Funjosh(m): 6:21am On Dec 16, 2015
Very Good and Informative smiley
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Neduzze5(m): 6:34am On Dec 16, 2015
Sir LordHugo.... I see what you are doing... Keep up with the good work

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by MARKone(m): 6:37am On Dec 16, 2015
Nice info lordhugo. My question, how fast does these things grow, does it take a lot of time before it matures.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Nobody: 7:00am On Dec 16, 2015
I wanna try some snail dish, sautéed with onions and mushrooms! Yummy!!!!
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 16, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures / Nairaland Farmers Contact Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.