Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,414 members, 7,781,195 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:28 AM

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (311797 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / The A to Z Of Oil Palm Farming (Costs And Returns Analysis) / A-z Of Catfish Smoking Business and types of fish smoking kiln (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by odimbannamdi(m): 9:24am On Jul 09, 2016
lordhugo:
[size=14pt]Housing [/size]determines if your snails will lead a happy life. There are different kinds of snaileries that can be built. In this regards, some factors have to be taken into consideration. First of all, the snails stage of development and snails habit. This means sorting of snails by age into newly hatched, young and mature. The secret to note here is that younger snails will require more comfortable housing which should be well sealed to prevent loss.

The most important matter is that snaileries must be escape proof and also be effective against predators.

Pens can be made of wood ( decay resistant types) as in the case of hutch boxes or pens laid on bare ground. You can also construct concrete pens embedded in the soil (exactly the way a foundation is built for a normal house building). These are semi- intensive methods nevertheless they can be replicated on a huge commercial scale where high initial capital is available. With proper stocking density, these methods are proven to give an edge.

Extensive methods include mini paddock systems and free range pens which can greatly reduce cost of feeding. In the practice of spilling secrets, you can combine a modern plantain farm or vegetable garden and an extensive snailery into a double edged sword for killing poverty.
Last secret on housing is the use of small mesh nets to prevent the access of flies into your snail pens. There is a particular fly that can waste your snail investments if left unchecked. It lays eggs in the snails and when they hatch, they eat up your snails from the inside. Be prepared for snails with fly larvae.

questions will be entertained...........

cc. miqos02
JOELONYEMA
JohnNgene
Yomyjoe
Buddhar

Bro, how much do u sell breeders of the A. Marginata and A. Achatina species?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Mizquosi: 2:24am On Jul 13, 2016
Pls guys, how do I regulate the temperature and humidity in my snail pen?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by midastouch: 12:15pm On Jul 13, 2016
You can install split air conditioners. smiley

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Mizquosi: 5:56am On Jul 14, 2016
midastouch:
You can install split air conditioners. smiley

Lol. But seriously, ppl kp talking abt having a high enough humidity in d pens, dont kw how to ensure humidity is high. I have another question: I bought a few snails from the market. will they lay eggs at all?
I also took some eggs from a woman in the market, will they hatch? I'm worried that they might not since they were TAKEN OUT of the snail, not LAYED.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Mizquosi: 5:57am On Jul 14, 2016
Admin please add me to the watsapp group. 09025323119
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 12:14pm On Jul 16, 2016
Today is my birthday and i wanna share my happiness with you all.

Keep the good work and follow good management styles. God bless the work of our hands.

Will answer the backlog of questions later.

Stay blessed

7 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by funshyboi(m): 1:44pm On Jul 16, 2016
lordhugo:

Keep the good work and follow good management styles. God bless the work of our hands.

Stay blessed
happy baiday to the guy who made me believe in snail keeping. much more years ahead
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Adewakeup1(m): 9:40pm On Jul 16, 2016
Happy Birthday sir,
I wish you many more of this day in good health and wealth.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by annunaki2(m): 9:40pm On Jul 16, 2016
lordhugo:

Stay blessed

Happy birthday bro, I started my snail farm three weeks ago by catching and breeding snails around my area. I now have over 200 snails and I believe I will exceed a thousand snails by the time the rainy season is over. grin
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Nonconformist: 12:30am On Jul 17, 2016
Seeing all the good work you're doing, one has to congratulate you on your birthday.
May the good Lord keep you blessed, appreciated and catered for Lord Hugo

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by ImFortress(m): 7:18pm On Jul 17, 2016
Please how do I control pest, (I've not had any issue with them though)
2. I found some snails hibernating deep underneath the soil, I water them but I'm open to advice. what did I do wrong?
I have over 200+ snails I caught a month ago.
How do I space them. I have 6 adult, not very big though but I found eggs and not much. I guess they hatched and escaped as I did not patch the blocks with cement. pixx below.

I evacuated them to check on them. I didn't cement the floor as advised. My Mum said they could dig (I didn't understand), so I just made a foundation for just one coach of block.
Today I found them deep in the soil. Two already hibernated, others were preparing.

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Beehandz(m): 10:06am On Jul 18, 2016
I celebrate LordHugo for this wealth of wisdom you've given freely so far here.
I stumbled into the thought of snail farming lastwk and a frnd shared this link with me and sincerely I've made notes upon noted here.

All said and done... Let's get started.

1. Almost concluding acquisition of land (70%)
2. strategies to pick up bush snails in place starting from this weekend.
3. Initial startup capital - 50K

Assistance
1. I need to have first hand experience of the snails in farms. @LordHugo Pls where is your farm located. I reside at Ojodu-Berger, Lagos. Will like to visit any other snail farms with visible result around.

2. Need experienced farmer @LordHugo or others around to help prepare my land before construction of the pen.

3. I want to have a first hand experience of sorting the snails according to their sizes and most especially the hatching process.

Thanks in advance to all the Snail famers in the.forum ready.to help upcomers like.me

8067644292 - My digits
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Baroba(m): 1:52pm On Jul 18, 2016
lord hugo. A true general in this field, happy birthday bro..Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge...
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by bransonbig: 7:44pm On Jul 18, 2016
HBD lordhugo. Cheers!!!
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Mizquosi: 11:10pm On Jul 22, 2016
Happy Belated Birthday..I haven't been online in a while...remain blessed
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Noahakinx: 4:01pm On Jul 23, 2016
lordhugo:

The book.

Maybe I would write one.

Update coming soon.
plx I went tru this thread now and I will like to start!!plx how can u help me$$ ur line is not going tru...plx can u inbox me ur email So that I can get further clarifications as to buying of ur handbook!!! plx
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Jswart: 8:03am On Jul 29, 2016
Hi I have read from through the thread very informative. I want to know if plastic vats can be used to rear snails. It's like a big drum 4ft by 6ft and it 2 feet high.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by roolnaado(m): 6:59am On Jul 30, 2016
Please what could be killing my snails, they just whiten and die off. Please Ogas in here help.

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by pitchez: 4:14am On Jul 31, 2016
Add me to d whatsapp group plz +2348032804500
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by rafiusalis: 2:29pm On Aug 04, 2016
Please add me to d whatsapp group +2348185615751
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by MrStrategy(m): 3:36pm On Aug 12, 2016
Please add me - 08034954566 - to the group.
I just started my own snail nursery, looking at scaling very fast.
Thanks for this awesome tread.

Please how can I get calcium?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Alleinad(f): 10:19am On Aug 13, 2016
This has been most informative. Looking forward to the completion. Thankyou so much for generously giving of your expertise, really a rare trait in Nigeria most times. Well done.
I have a question though, is it wise to fumigate a land you want to use for the snailery just before the construction begins?? Just incase insects may already have laid eggs and all that there....
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by wree91: 11:59am On Aug 14, 2016
Please what specie is this

1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by kemioo77(f): 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2016
roolnaado:
Please what could be killing my snails, they just whiten and die off. Please Ogas in here help.
am also having the same problem... Can someone please answer this question? Thanks in advance
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by annunaki2(m): 5:07pm On Aug 15, 2016
kemioo77:
am also having the same problem... Can someone please answer this question? Thanks in advance

I also have the same problem, answers please sad
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by pitchez: 10:09pm On Aug 15, 2016
Discount sales on our natural and well formulated SNAIL feed!!!

-Guaranteed healthy and speedy growth
-Strong shell formation
-Promotes egg production.

10kg- #1,950
25Kg - #4,350
50kg - #8,150

Alpho Ventures (WA) Ltd.,
Dollar Pool House, Lemomu Street, Off Salvation Army Road, Ekotedo, Ibadan, Oyo State.

Whatsapp/Call: +2348032804500

Discount sales valid till 30th August, 2016.

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lma4real(m): 9:11am On Aug 16, 2016
@ OP,thx for ur effort so far;I have a plot of land in Ibadan which I don't know what to do with it until I stumbled on this thread...Pls help me do justice to the following questions:
1.Can I start a commercial snail farming on that little land...
2.with this land(no fence), give a step by step approach to reach my goal as a snail farmer...
3.the cost analysis of this step by step approach
4.As a professional,how many snail breeder shd I start with expansion plan of hatchling
5.how many many segment of pen shd be constructed based on the no 4 above
6.how many shd be stock and aw many shd be empty for separation and hatching
7.where do u base(ur farm)
8.Can one have a practical training in ur farm..if yes,like how long(time frame) can it be....weeks or months or even years to v all the required knowledge.
Sir,I am sorry to bombard u wt so many questions;its Bcs it will determine how fast I ll resign from my current job and ur response will give me the insight to prepare the ground and I become a snail farmer come 2017....
I ll stop for now and ask other questions later...thanks in anticipation
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by nostress22003: 11:10am On Aug 16, 2016
Thanks Lordhugo. this is an eye opener. i have some questions and they may be much. pls bear w me. i am passionate about snail farming and i just got a partner and land.

1. pls, what are the disadvantages of free range farming cos i want to deal in it?
2. plsssss, share w us the secret of keeping trenches and pens open bottomed but also filling it with rich loamy substrate.........?
3. i live in Abuja. difficult to get sandy loamy soil. what can i do pls?
4. how do u preserve snails bought from remote places to ur snail farm in another state and also how do i know a stressed and dehydrated snail when i need to buy?
5. explain drip irrigation pls?[/color][color=#990000]
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by pitchez: 1:02pm On Aug 16, 2016
kemioo77:

A lot of factors may cause snail mortality, but the most likely one that comes to mind is that you check your water source, make sure there are no form of treatment in the water, like Chlorine etc.
Also, check and if possible, wash the food you feed them with, expecially the vegetables, for predatory insects. Some of them deposit harmful toxins in snails that kills them.
Guide your cage and make sure they are prey-proof.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by pitchez: 1:03pm On Aug 16, 2016
roolnaado:

A lot of factors may cause snail mortality, but the most likely one that comes to mind is that you check your water source, make sure there are no form of treatment in the water, like Chlorine etc.
Also, check and if possible, wash the food you feed them with, expecially the vegetables, for predatory insects. Some of them deposit harmful toxins in snails that kills them.
Guide your cage and make sure they are prey-proof.

Hope I helped.

2 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Jswart: 8:47am On Aug 17, 2016
Hi. Please can snails be feed with broilers grower feed.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by pitchez: 9:09am On Aug 17, 2016
Jswart:
Hi. Please can snails be feed with broilers grower feed.

Visit this thread...
https://www.nairaland.com/3290471/well-formulated-snail-feed-discount#48513691

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply)

... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures / Nairaland Farmers Contact Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.