Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,736 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS (61825 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Arrives Onitsha For The Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival- PICTURES / 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / Ijebuland's Ojude Oba Festival 2015 (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by MrMbaM: 6:20pm On Oct 12, 2015
[s]
GenbIoodykiller:

Lalasticlala Seun obinoscopy please this guy want to derail this educational thread with irrelevant comments

please do the needful

thanks
[/s]

Shameless coward, next time don't attack people for airing there views. Oloshi

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Beremx(f): 6:21pm On Oct 12, 2015
GenbIoodykiller:

are you doubting me nne ? ask your igwe grin he'll tell you.

how far naa? don't worry am going to post pictures both Ofala and our iwa ji grin
just post pictures,that's my interest.
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by GenbIoodykiller: 6:21pm On Oct 12, 2015
MrMbaM:
[s][/s]

[s] Shameless coward, next time don't attack people for airing there views. Oloshi[/s]
Lalasticlala Seun obinoscopy
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by flossy007: 6:21pm On Oct 12, 2015
A burokwam 'bros' o. A bum Ada. Yes, i'm from Onitsha.
GenbIoodykiller:

bros ibu onye onitsha?

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by GenbIoodykiller: 6:23pm On Oct 12, 2015
flossy007:
A burokwam 'bros' o. A bum Ada. Yes, i'm from Onitsha.
grin

nne dalu rinne grin but put "f" naa smiley
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:25pm On Oct 12, 2015
AnamCity:
Incidentally Igwe Achebe is the most educated Igwe in Nigeria. Below is his profile.

How many Kings in Nigeria do you have their biography? Please,don't derail the thread....post some more pictures.

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:27pm On Oct 12, 2015
GenbIoodykiller:

Lalasticlala Seun obinoscopy

If you keep engaging that person they will ruin this thread.

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Dbboy(m): 6:39pm On Oct 12, 2015
AnamCity:

I don't like arguing unnecessarily but I will educate you over this. Obi of Onitsha is the only king in Igboland you can mention on the same page with Emir of Kano, Ooni of Ife and Oba of Benin. In otther words the Obi of Onitsha, Emir of Kano, Ooni of Ife and Oba of Benin are the frontline kings in Nigeria and even in West Africa because some of them dates back to 1500AD. Coming to Igboland, Obi of Onitsha is the most influential and most recognized among all other low lying kings.

Where did you get that from?

Question for you who is the head of eze ndi eze in Igbo land and pls Igbo don't recognise obi of Onitsha as head of igbos he is the head of Onitsha and not igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by chino11(m): 6:42pm On Oct 12, 2015
Shhhh! The OP is talking about the most influential and powerful king in Igboland that can measure up with other influential kings as Emir of Kano, Ooni of Ife and Oba of Benin and that king is the Obi of Onitsha. We are not talking of some rural and inconsequential kings.

[s]
Dbboy:

Where did you get that from?

Question for you who is the head of eze ndi eze in Igbo land and pls Igbo don't recognise obi of Onitsha as head of igbos he is the head of Onitsha and not igbos.
[/s]
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Dbboy(m): 6:59pm On Oct 12, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Being chairman of traditional rulers means nothing. Eze Ilomuanya is a little village head wi5bout any recognition. Mentioning him and Agbogidi in the same paragraph is a crime liable to beheading...I have been trying to be civil but you wanna piss me off.

Are you for real, tell me one thing that your obi of Onitsha has done for we igbos, as far as am concerned he is a nobody and hold no sway to political movement in the country, to tell you how true it is he can't even get his son elected to local govt chairmanship stool even if he wants, so the saying Igbo ewe eze.
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Shymm3x: 7:00pm On Oct 12, 2015
GenbIoodykiller:

they are called ndi ichie (Chiefs) and for someone to attain that level of prestigious title in onitsha you must have a good reputation, fame, bastard money, and full blooded onitsha (onitsha aka nabu) meaning that from your grand mother, grand father to you must all be from Onitsha grin moreover that people you're seeing there are bunch of professors and just few doctors grin

Lol.

But they need to leave wrappers for the women and wear trousers! Dammit! grin

Anyway, I'm a red-cap Igbo Chief now and Onitsha is part of my jurisdiction...I should change that when I touch down in naij in my dashiki and red cap.
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:02pm On Oct 12, 2015
Dbboy:

Are you for real, tell me one thing that your obi of Onitsha has done for we igbos, as far as am concerned he is a nobody and hold no sway to political movement in the country, to tell you how true it is he can't even get his son elected to local govt chairmanship stool even if he wants, so the saying Igbo ewe eze.

Go suck a little tit!
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by coolitempa(f): 7:08pm On Oct 12, 2015
OfoIgbo:
The following Anambra traditional rulers are culturally above the Obi of Onitsha as there are tasks they can perform for Ndigbo that the Obi of Onitsha can never perform

1. Eze Enugwu-Ukwu na Igwe UmuNri
2. Igwe Nawfia na Igwe UmuNri
3. Igwe Enugwu-Agidi na Igwe UmuNri
4. Eze Nri (the custodian of Ofo Nri-Menri, the highest ofo in Igboland, jointly owned by the 4 principal Nri towns of Enugwu Ukwu, Nawfia, Enugwu Agidi and Agukwu-Nri)

Arguably, kingdoms like Oraeri and even places like Aguleri, Igbariam, Nnewi have powerful claims that will trump the Onitsha claim.
It was Zik who pushed the Onitsha monarchy when he held sway as a frontline nationalist, to the detriment of more deserving kingdoms, but traditionalists know the main traditional dawgz and the pretenders.

Seriously......as a diehard Yoruba.....I don't even know of these other kings in ibo land....only the onicha king is known as a great king outside of the SE.....I am sure most Nigerians agree with me..... sad....

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by chino11(m): 7:13pm On Oct 12, 2015
Ok tell them oo cheesy

They couldn't believe me maybe they will believe you cheesy

coolitempa:

Seriously......as a diehard Yoruba.....I don't even know of these other kings in ibo land....only the onicha king is known as a great king outside of the SE.....I am sure most Nigerians agree with me..... sad....

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Dbboy(m): 7:15pm On Oct 12, 2015
chino11:
Shhhh! The OP is talking about the most influential and powerful king in Igboland that can measure up with other influential kings as Emir of Kano, Ooni of Ife and Oba of Benin and that king is the Obi of Onitsha. We are not talking of some rural and inconsequential kings.

[s][/s]

For Christ sake when did we igbos start recognising eze and am very sure that obi of Onitsha is a business man like you and I on like the other rulers in that your pic that can choose never to work in there life time but still get the luxury of life as there subject would provide unlike we Igbos that don't give a rat ass if igwe has eaten or not. We don't observe those rubbish so don't overplay the importance of obi of Onitsha because for all I know I just knew his name today from you and to tell you how less important he is to most igbos and don't get high just because jona visited your king because he did visit most eze in igboland. If obi of Onitsha was so influential where was he when the made illomuaya chiarman of eze ndi eze. How I wish you attended illumuoaya ofala, you would know what you are showing us is child's play

3 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by coolitempa(f): 7:18pm On Oct 12, 2015
chino11:
Ok tell them oo cheesy

They couldn't believe me maybe they will believe you cheesy

I am serious.......I don't want to talk and derail your thread before your people come here and use my head for pounded yam.... cheesy cheesy.....but even in school....only the king of onicha was known to us...from the SE..... angry
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by OfoIgbo: 7:19pm On Oct 12, 2015
chino11:
You don't get it. Presently the Obi of Onitsha is not even the chairman of traditional rulers in Anambra State. So its not about who is the chairman of traditional rulers, it is about who is most influential among all the kings.

The point I am making is that the Obi of Onitsha carries with it a lot of weight and influence with it both politically and otherwise. These and many more has placed the Obi of Onitsha as the most influential king in Igboland. Where he stand no other king can thread on it. The doors he opens are powerful doors that all those little kings in Igboland cannot even dare to touch. I consider those kings you mentioned as little kings with exception of Eze Nri.

Obi of Onitsha is the most influential king in Igboland. You can choose to accept it or leave it. cool

Obi of Onitsha is still the chairman of Anambra traditional rulers.
Also remember that this Obi of Onitsha was a high flying director of various companies so already had that diplomatic skills to be manoeuvring himself.
I dont even know how the previous Obi of Onitsha looks like. That in itself tells you how shallow rooted the Onitsha kingship is.

Even in Onitsha, Nris hold sway in quite a great deal of cultural matters.
When Igwe Osita Agwuna of Enugwu-Ukwu was alive, this Obi of Onitsha will even tremble to approach his presence.

UmuNri used to have a unified kingship in the person of Eze Nri, who will normally emerge from the last born lineage (Agukwu).
But since the whiteman brought the autonomous community idea, the other Nri towns have adopted kings, but they still all outrank the Obi Onitsha, as they are descendants of the joint owners of the highest ofo in Igboland, with the attendant privileges that particular ofo confers on its owners

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by chino11(m): 7:24pm On Oct 12, 2015
Honestly I don't have time for long grammar.

Obi of Onitsha is the most influential and most powerful KING in Igboland. He stands head and shoulder with other powerful kings as Emir of Kano, Ooni of Ife and Oba of Benin.

You can choose to accept that or you leave it but it is the FACT you cannot delete. Go figure

OfoIgbo:

Obi of Onitsha is still the chairman of Anambra traditional rulers.
Also remember that this Obi of Onitsha was a high flying director of various companies so already had that diplomatic skills to be manoeuvring himself.
I dont even know how the previous Obi of Onitsha looks like. That in itself tells you how shallow rooted the Onitsha kingship is.

Even in Onitsha, Nris hold sway in quite a great deal of cultural matters.
When Igwe Osita Agwuna of Enugwu-Ukwu was alive, this Obi of Onitsha will even tremble to approach his presence.

UmuNri used to have a unified kingship in the person of Eze Nri, who will normally emerge from the last born lineage (Agukwu).
But since the whiteman brought the autonomous community idea, the other Nri towns have adopted kings, but they still all outrank the Obi Onitsha, as they are descendants of the joint owners of the highest ofo in Igboland, with the attendant privileges that particular ofo confers on its owners
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by pazienza(m): 7:24pm On Oct 12, 2015
There are lots of things wrong with this thread.

It would appear that the OP can't just celebrate the Onitsha monarchy without denigrating other Igbo monarchies.

Obi onitsha dominion starts and ends in Onitsha, if the OP is really an Igbo, he really should have known this.

He is the Obi of Onitsha and not Obi of Igboland. The moment he steps out of Onitsha is the moment his dominion ends.

You don't go about denigrating an influential king like Eze Ilomuanya, and expect his people( read Igbos from Imo axis) to honour your own king.

By denigrating Eze Ilomuanya, you indirectly put Obi of Onitsha up for denigration by Imo branch of the Igbo. I know that if I were an Imo person, that's exactly what I would have done.

Igbo unity is a fragile piece, we must all learn to put ahead of our sectional/ tribal pride.

You can celebrate the magnificence of Onitsha monarchy and splendor without endangering Igbo unity. Onitsha is the pride of all Igbos, and should be a unity point for us, and not used to put a divide amongst us, all on the altar of superiority complex and overbloated and misdirected pride.

Ka udo chia!

13 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Ofodirinwa: 7:27pm On Oct 12, 2015
^exactly.
We overstate the importance of Onitcha, and this is an act primarily done by people from the area. It's a great city with a lot of potential, but it's neither the biggest (PH or Aba), most politically relevant (Enugu), most economically relevant (Aba PH), or even historically relevant city in Igboland, so I don't understand why their Obi would be paraded as some sort of apex Igbo leader. Let everyone enjoy their culture without insulting others.

Dhugal:

*sigh*
I won't even go Igbo-wide,Anambra state alone will suffice.
The Onitsha monarchy,though presiding over a well known city,does not and cannot hold a candle to the Eze Nri and the Igwe Nnewi.
Being popular does not a custodian of culture nor foremost King make.Onitsha monarchy is but a baby placed beside the antiquity of Nri or Nnewi.
If any traditional ruler in Anambra should lay claim to being custodian of Igbo culture,it's the Eze Nri followed by Igwe Nnewi.
Go check how the Traditional Rulers Council in Anambra is ordered,backed by law,before you make more childish show of yourself.
Btw,the Emirship of Kano may be popular,but his overlord still remain the Sultan of Sokoto.
You would educate me over something you know nothing about,smh.
Let's not detract from celebrating a worthy monarch,an awesome heritage.Just cool it with the overly enthusiastic verbiage.

I'm from Imo and neither of these men have jurisdiction over here o. Lets relax before we start deciding who's the custodian of Igbo culture. You don't need a kingship to be a vessel for culture, and I'm sure other communities will refute your claim because many don't know there's an Igwe Nnewi

4 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by OfoIgbo: 7:27pm On Oct 12, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Being chairman of traditional rulers means nothing. Eze Ilomuanya is a little village head wi5bout any recognition. Mentioning him and Agbogidi in the same paragraph is a crime liable to beheading...I have been trying to be civil but you wanna piss me off.

Mentioning Ilomuanya and Achebe in the same sentence is equivalent to mentioning Achebe and Onyesoh in the same sentence, because Onitsha is relatively young compared with Nri and its cultural importance.

Igwe Achebe can sit in certain places that Eze Nri can't, just the same way Eze Ilomuanya can sit in places Igwe Achebe can't
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by OfoIgbo: 7:33pm On Oct 12, 2015
Descartes:
Have you guys forgot Eze Idigo of Aguleri of Idigo Dyanasty?
Was told that Eze Nri can not be crowned until a confirmation comes from Idigo

Cc: Chino11, Odenigboaroli, Ofoigbo, Anamcity cool

Who told you that?

Idigo dynasty started in the 1850s with Onyekomeli Idigo, who was supported by the colonial masters.

Nri kingship is over a thousand years old. A prospective Eze Nri visits nearly twenty five Igbo towns including Aguleri, Umuleri, Dunukofia e.t.c before he is declared an Eze Nri

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by OfoIgbo: 7:40pm On Oct 12, 2015
Yeske2:
We are saying one and same thing bro but OP made a mistake by saying the Obi is the custodian of Igbo culture which brought up this argument in the first place.

You are very correct. The custodianship of Igbo culture lies elsewhere. Definitely in the Nri royal households. Nri bu isi Igbo. Nri ji ofo

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by THUNDER4real(m): 7:41pm On Oct 12, 2015
People argue unnecessarily, :The following are facts:
There's no king given full recognition by the ibos.
Obi of Onitsha is the only recognized king in Nigeria and International wise from the East.
90 to 100% of people living in the East has heard of or know Obi of Onitsha.
96% to 100% of individuals(hausa, yoruba, ijaw, Efik, Tiv etc.) that schooled in Nigeria has heard of or know Obi of Onitsha.

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by OfoIgbo: 7:43pm On Oct 12, 2015
GenbIoodykiller:

Agbogidi is the king of kings in Southeast grin

he's the only king that bows to no man even if you are the president of the world grin

Kings shouldn't bow to anyone.

In fact, as an Nri man, if I were to visit Igwe Achebe in his palace in your company, you will bow, but I won't bow, because abum isi Igbo from the priestly clan. I hope you know that

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by GenbIoodykiller: 7:45pm On Oct 12, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lol.

But they need to leave wrappers for the women and wear trousers! Dammit! grin

Anyway, I'm a red-cap Igbo Chief now and Onitsha is part of my jurisdiction...I should change that when I touch down in naij in my dashiki and red cap.

That's custom bro grin
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by THUNDER4real(m): 7:48pm On Oct 12, 2015
Obi of Onitsha is not the custodian of Igbo culture, but he is a high class King.
Obi of Onitsha is not the king of the ibos because Ibos has no recognized king.

3 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Dhugal: 7:50pm On Oct 12, 2015
Ofodirinwa:
^exactly.
We overstate the importance of Onitcha, and this is an act primarily done by people from the area. It's a great city with a lot of potential, but it's neither the biggest (PH or Aba), most politically relevant (Enugu), most economically relevant (Aba PH), or even historically relevant city in Igboland, so I don't understand why their Obi would be paraded as some sort of apex Igbo leader. Let everyone enjoy their culture without insulting others.

I'm from Imo and neither of these men have jurisdiction over here o. Lets relax before we start deciding who's the custodian of Igbo culture. You don't need a kingship to be a vessel for culture, and I'm sure other communities will refute your claim because many don't know there's an Igwe Nnewi
Read what you quoted again and comprehend.I said "IF any traditional ruler from Anambra".Of course,I know there are other pre-colonial natural rulers in many igbo communities not in present day Anambra state.I was even limiting the guy's claim to Anambra state,not the wider Igbo community.
Btw,you don't know there's an Igwe Nnewi?.The longest serving traditional ruler in Nigeria?.
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by ezeagu(m): 7:51pm On Oct 12, 2015
Now you can see why most Igbo people abolished kingship.

5 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Ofodirinwa: 7:53pm On Oct 12, 2015
It's a very primitive and foolish practice. Autonomous Community frenzy has turned every tom dick and harry into an Eze and an Igwe.

THUNDER4real:
[s]People argue unnecessarily, :The following are facts:
There's no king given full recognition by the ibos.
Obi of Onitsha is the only recognized king in Nigeria and International wise from the East.
90 to 100% of people living in the East has heard of or know Obi of Onitsha.
96% to 100% of individuals(hausa, yoruba, ijaw, Efik, Tiv etc.) that schooled in Nigeria has heard of or know Obi of Onitsha.[/s]
None of this is relevant.
Congrats to the Obi of Onitcha for his celebrity. Asaba is older than Onitcha and Onitcha started as an extension of Asaba. Let everyone play in their own lane
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by OfoIgbo: 7:55pm On Oct 12, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

The last part of your post isn't exactly true. Before an Eze Nri is crowned there are list of rituals that the Eze-to be must undergo. Including but not limited to visiting some shrines in Aguleri and performing some rituals at the Omanbala river. Eze Aguleri has nothing to do with these activities.

You are very correct. At the confluence of Ezu na Omambala, an appointed diver searches for, and retrieves the Eze Nri's udu eze.
Aguleri is visited for principally these reasons
1. Eri his ancestor lived and is buried there. INI ERI in Aguleri
2. Eze Nri Menri, the first son of Eri was also buried there. INI MENRI in Aguleri. Menri's sons (I.e progenitors of Enugwu Ukwu Agidi, Nawfia, Oruora and Agukwu) buried their dad in Eriaka now known as Aguleri because as the first son, he inherited his father's obu, and was buried there, even though he already had virgin lands in present Enugwu Ukwu and Agukwu. No other son of Eri was buried in Aguleri, hence proving that Nri was his first son.
3. He worships at some of the ancestral holy places

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS by Beremx(f): 7:57pm On Oct 12, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Oh,nnukwu Ada di ora mma. Nne,adim mma. Kedu maka ezi n'uno gi?
ezi n'ulo m di cha mma. Daalu so.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... / Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ooni Arives Ife Ahead Of His Coronation / Why Oluwo Akanbi Divorced Chanel Chin: The Real Reason

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.