Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,838 members, 7,806,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? (17479 Views)

Which Minister Do We Hold Accountable For The Free Meal And 5k? / I Can Defeat Jonathan If INEC Conducts Credible Elections - Buhari / Obasanjo: We Hold Jonathan To One Term Vow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by proudly9ja(m): 4:54pm On Apr 26, 2009
We have been holding elections in Nigeria since 1960 and as it is, apart from the June 12 1993 elections, we cannot boast of having an election that can be termed free and fair. I listened to former president, Olusegun Obasanjo who ironically is the head of the AU observation team to the South African elections, say that if there are a few stories of malpractices here and there, it can be excused. I mean, can we not have a FREE AND FAIR election in Africa?

I will appreciate it if we can narrow this down to Nigeria? What do we need in terms of, right policies, technology, and other means, to have a not just credible but free and fair election in Nigeria?

From my view, I think its so easy to detect the kind of fraud we do election wise in Nigeria. The major fraud is to steal ballot papers and massively thumbprint these for the prefered candidate. I know thumbprints are unique, can we not have a system that we run the ballot papers through after the election and any ballot paper that has same thumbprint as a previous one is nullified? Is this hard to do? I think this will totally remove the issue of one person stealing ballot papers to have them thumbprinted in his house.

That's just one way out. Il like to hear more.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by klassyguy(m): 5:13pm On Apr 26, 2009
Typically everybody has given up on the idea of having anything "free and fair" in Nigeria. Corruption has really eaten deep into everything in the country. Even the few who tried to make things right are either frustrated out of their efforts or killed. See what happened to Nuhu Ribadu. i'm telling u, if things keep on happening like his case, there is no hope for the country. its so sad.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by proudly9ja(m): 5:17pm On Apr 26, 2009
True things have gone real bad. I opened this thread just for people to contribute their ideas and for us to see that it can be done by Nigerians. A lot of people have given up hope and for some, rightly so too, but we are Nigerians, and its our country.

So, more suggestions please.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by jazzsoul: 5:51pm On Apr 26, 2009
Before we can solve electoral problems in Nigeria, we need to solve the Nigerian problem first. The Nigerian psyche needs to fixed. Corruption and the adulation of ill gotten wealth will need to change.

The quest for wealth at all costs leads to power at all costs. This vicious cycle then drives corruption. When honest citizens attempt to go into politics to contribute, they cannot often do so because their corrupt financial sponsors will often call the shots. There are a few exceptions such as the current Governor of Lagos state.

Since the leaders cannot lead, the followers will need to stop following incompetence and start to drive change by demanding better from the government. It is time to stop accepting corruption and sub standard quality of life as the Naija style.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by yeswecan(m): 6:07pm On Apr 26, 2009
Our Leaders have the answer to the entire question (s). From a general perspective, the people of Nigeria are peace loving and also happy (Rated Happiest people on Earth). We have so many ethnic groups and we live peacefully. The problem we have starts from the leadership, if Aso Rock can get cleaned up, then there is hope for Nigeria. A corrupt leader cannot fight corruption.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 6:12pm On Apr 26, 2009
yeswecan:

Our Leaders have the answer to the entire question (s). From a general perspective, the people of Nigeria are peace loving and also happy (Rated Happiest people on Earth).  We have so many ethnic groups and we live peacefully. The problem we have starts from the leadership, if Aso Rock can get cleaned up, then there is hope for Nigeria. A corrupt leader cannot fight corruption.

What peopleare you talking about?  Isn’t this like concluding that Nigerians are the holiest and the most moral on the planet since we also happen to be the MOST RELIGIOUS people on the planet? Jeezzz !!!
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by linxon(m): 6:17pm On Apr 26, 2009
I think there needs to be less emphasis on the government and more on the real leaders!  for example what politician can make it in Nigeria without the funding from a wealthy individual?  The truth is the business men fund the politicians and the politicians promise them something in return, so the real leaders of Nigeria are the businessmen and the politicians take the blame ( and steal public funds).

We all know that the president could hold fair elections tommorow if he wanted to but he will not because no one gives up power willingly? If the new business class are ETHICAL they will fund ethical politicians and the change we crave will be realized.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 6:33pm On Apr 26, 2009
You think these bastards will allow any automated voting systems. I think i prefer Military Rule this democracy ain't working
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by pm05337(m): 6:48pm On Apr 26, 2009
we need God to sort the leaders out for starters cos our current leaders are corrupt personified, then we can take it from der
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by jazzsoul: 6:56pm On Apr 26, 2009
pm05337:

we need God to sort the leaders out for starters cos our current leaders are corrupt personified, then we can take it from der

God is not going to come down and sort the leaders out for us. The religious leaders have been compromised by money and the craze for wealth. The defeatist attitude of waiting for God for solutions is being exploited by the corrupt elite.

Nigerians have to refuse to be bought by money, but unfortunately the vast majority of them have been so deprived that they cannot stand up for their rights or that which is right.

We have to learn to speak truth to power.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Moonstone(f): 6:58pm On Apr 26, 2009
Even automated voting will be rigged, that's the honest truth. We're in a corrupt system. Every atom of our system has been injected with a certain level of corruption even the most sacred parts. The way for us to have a credible election is for us to have a credible form of governance to remove the corruption first.

jazzsoul:

Nigerians have to refuse to be bought by money, but unfortunately the vast majority of them have been so deprived that they cannot stand up for their rights or that which is right.
Who told you that abeg? Which Nigerians?
There are very few incorruptible Nigerians in Nigeria o. Most of them can be bought so easily.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Redman44(m): 7:01pm On Apr 26, 2009
@Proudly9ja

I have been waiting for this kind of topic on Nairaland. I have not given up on Nigeria. I love my country to bits. I strongly believe credible elctions can be held in Nigeria. Nigerians are not that gullible anymore. Gone are those days when a Godfather will raise the hands of his candidate up and expect people to vote for him or her.  Fellow Nairalanders, put on your thinking caps and reflect on the last elections in 2007. Though there was massive rigging in many states, some States, Local Government Areas and councils were exceptional. The people in those areas voted for their choice candidates in large numbers. Though the State INECS declared the corrupt candidates as winners, everyone knew something was not right. At the end of the day, the real winners of the elections got enthroned. The Rule of Law prevailed in the end. Examples of Governors who won their deserved thrones back are Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State and Olusegun Mimiko of Ondo State.

I have 5 ideas that will aid the conduct of Credible Elections in Nigeria. They are:

1. Votes should be counted openly immediately after voting has ended. There is no need for the ballot boxes to be taken to a secret location.  The Agents and Representatives of different Parties, some number of voters, representatives of the community in which the election was held, and observers [ both Nigerians and Expatriate ] should be around when the votes are counted. After the counting of votes has been concluded, the winning candidate should be announced immediately for all to hear. This will let everyone know who actually won. Then the results can be forwarded to the State Headquarters.

2. During elections in Nigeria, intimidation and harrassment of voters is very rampant. Some Political Parties are guilty of hiring thugs and gangsters to help them in instiling fear in the minds of the electorate. These undesirable characters also assist the corrupt politicians in rigging the elections. It is really a sad situation. So what can we do about this? I posit that that drastic situations need drastic reactions. I would suggest that fraternities on our campuses should come to the rescue. Violence during elections is not the monopoly of any group of people. All the guys killing themselves on our campuses over mundane things can serve the nation better. I'm not a confra member but I think they can start doing some positive things in the society. I know some of the secret groups on campus have been registered by the Federal Government i.e The Pyrate Confraternity and The Bucaneers. All these tough guys can fly their colours on election day and help safeguard the ballot boxes and the populace from the hired thugs of the poilticians. Thery will start getting some respect from Nigerians if they can channel their energies into positive things. The Pyrates Confraternity saw to the peaceful conduct of elections on the UNIBADAN campus in the 70's and early 80's. They can take this approach into the larger society now.

3. The citizenry also has to be informed adequately about the electoral process. I wonder what kind of organization INEC is   I have observed that Nigerians are not adequately informed during elections. It is the duty of INEC  [ and if INEC continues to be lethargic, Private groups can come in ] to print leaflets and information packs that will tell people about the different Political Parties and their ideologies. The leaflets and information packs should also have the logo of the parties, pictures of the candidates and their plans should they be elected. What is INEC doing with all the billions of Naira given to it to conduct elections if it cannot print Leaflets and information packs? I believe that if Nigerians are well informed, they will vote in the right candidates. Information is key to a credible electoral process in Nigeria. Lest I forget, the leaflets and information packs should be printed in the major languages of Nigeria, including the official language, English.

4. It is getting clear that the PDP, ANPP and perhaps the AC are not capable of taking Nigeria to the promised land. This is where the smaller parties should come in. The Labour Party has gotten off to a good start. I'm waiting for the Justice Party, NCP and others to start making their presence felt in the vast field of Nigerian Politics. Barack Obama's victory in America should serve as an inspiration for our smaller parties. Our smaller parties need to connect with the populace. They don't need to have much money to achieve this. They can publicize themselves cheaply and also through the internet. I don't even remember what the Justice Party logo looks like sad sad  The smaller parties should focus on winning Local Government seats and councillorship seats at first. They can go for the bigger positions later after consolidating themselves.

5. Lastly, the Nigerian Media can help in ensuring that credible elections are held in Nigeria. Presently, our Newspapers, Magazines and Radio and TV stations are not doing enough to aid the good conduct of elections in Nigeria. What most of them are interested in is the publishing of scandalous stories about Politicians and their families. In America, if you are not interviewed and assessed by the media, you can as well forget about winning at any level of governance. The New York Times is good at picking out the wrong candidates and exposing them. The Western Media usually conduct searches on the background of Politicians with a view to letting their readers know more about them. The Nigerian Media needs to start getting proactive during elections. This brown enevelope syndrome must be nipped in the bud. LET US DO IT FOR THE SAKE  OF OUR NATION. Cheers.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 7:04pm On Apr 26, 2009
blacksta:

You think these bastards will allow any automated voting systems. I think i prefer Military Rule this democracy ain't working

Military rule ke?
OK. . . how about we go the way of North Korea? Let's just be grateful that at least people are bashing their heads in trying to vote in their guy.
In the past the government was bashing everybody's head in, and most times no voting was even taking place.
Maybe if we had a choice of Head or Tail Abacha, like in '98, we for don sober up by now.

Methinks everything is working itself out, and we're on our way there, in a painful sort of way. At least between '99 and '07, we had only one case of a cancelled election, our guy Ngige. Now somehow the courts are finding their voice. let's leave all the fancy electronic voting stuff till when we have a working and functional government and a system in place. I don't think you can tie democracy to a system, it's all about the people. That's even how democracy is defined, for the people, by the people, of the people!

Or did we think someone was gonna snap their fingers and . . . hey presto! good government!

Peace.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by AloyEmeka9: 7:10pm On Apr 26, 2009
Pictures from Ekiti rerun election yesterday:

Segun Bakare,Akin Oyedele,Sam Awoyinfa and Toyosi Ogunseye
Set of hoodlums arrested during the poll

Our Correspondent
A victim of violence during the election

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/26/499.html
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by AloyEmeka9: 7:11pm On Apr 26, 2009

Segun Bakare, Akin Oyedele, Sam Awoyinfa and Toyosi Ogunseye
Some of the suspected hoodlums arrested at Oye-Ekiti during the election , on Saturday

Notice at the hand cuffs they used to hold them in place. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by yeswecan(m): 7:21pm On Apr 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

What peopleare you talking about?  Isn’t this like concluding that Nigerians are the holiest and the most moral on the planet since we also happen to be the MOST RELIGIOUS people on the planet? Jeezzz !!!

I don't think you understand the effect of corruption in high places. Nigerians, as far as am concern are peace loving people, our problems are rooted from tribalism, political instability and corruption in high political places. This problem can only be tackled by a responsible government, if you think the people of Nigeria will change overnight, you taught wrong.

Political sponsorship or godfatherism is now the identity of Nigeria Politics. In a nutshell Godfatherism in Nigeria politics means that a politician may have sold his or her independence to a financier or party power-broker in order to win an election; thereby mortgaging the future of his or her electorates.

Our leaders have not been able to address this problem of godfathers because they are product of the theory. This I think is a key issue in Nigeria politics that calls for attention. Godfatherism promotes Hooliganism, The proliferation of arms and ammunitions, thereby increasing the Crime rate in Nigeria today. The Nigeria democracy is hijacked by these illiterate godfathers for self aggrandizement. We all know the God fathers behind all this, they won't be arrested because of influence.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by klassyguy(m): 7:48pm On Apr 26, 2009
can u see the kind of handcuffs our own Nigerian police are using to handcuff criminals? this is not a laughing matter @Aloy.emeka. How do u think other policemen around the world will react if they see these kind of pictures? Its really sad, i feel like crying for the country.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 7:57pm On Apr 26, 2009
yeswecan:

I don't think you understand the effect of corruption in high places. Nigerians, as far as am concern are peace loving people, our problems are rooted from tribalism, political instability and corruption in high political places. This problem can only be tackled by a responsible government, if you think the people of Nigeria will change overnight, you taught wrong.
What in the world has your so-called effect of corruption in high places to do with my response to your post? May I suggest you read the response yet again and come back with a better response? Here again is my response to your first post.
Kobojunkie:

What peopleare you talking about? Isn’t this like concluding that Nigerians are the holiest and the most moral on the planet since we also happen to be the MOST RELIGIOUS people on the planet? Jeezzz !!!

yeswecan:

Political sponsorship or godfatherism is now the identity of Nigeria Politics. In a nutshell Godfatherism in Nigeria politics means that a politician may have sold his or her independence to a financier or party power-broker in order to win an election; thereby mortgaging the future of his or her electorates.
Yeah!! Nevermind the millions of Nigerians who allow themselves to be bought and paid for by the same god fathers?? Lol I get you dude!! Lol
yeswecan:

Our leaders have not been able to address this problem of godfathers because they are product of the theory. This I think is a key issue in Nigeria politics that calls for attention. Godfatherism promotes Hooliganism, The proliferation of arms and ammunitions, thereby increasing the Crime rate in Nigeria today. The Nigeria democracy is hijacked by these illiterate godfathers for self aggrandizement. We all know the God fathers behind all this, they won't be arrested because of influence.
Yeah!!! The Nigerian democracy is highjacked by a mere 1 or 2 million politicians while the people who number in the high 138 million are peace loving people who sit back with arms folded like dumb sheeps, huh?? Lol

roflmao!!! The only thing wey concern me here be your statement that Nigerians are a peace loving people and following that logic, I would say you also believe they are the holiest and also the more moral since they are also ranked as the most religious on earth. roflmaoi!!
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Apr 26, 2009
Stop dreaming. You CAN NOT have free n fair elections in Nigeria. You can't arrest a problem from the top. You need to start from the roots.
Go to Nigerian Universities and see what students are doing as far as elections. It's a win by all means scenario. All because they want to embezzle.
I blame the muda bleeping parents that were born between 1900 - 1965.
What do you expect when parents help their children cheat during the primary 6 national common entrance examinations. This goes on until Jamb.
Now you expect such kids to grow up and not want to win at all costs? U are in a fairy tale
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by proudly9ja(m): 8:17pm On Apr 26, 2009
Redman, I like some of the points you raised.

Lets not deviate from the original posts pls. Most of the threads on Nairaland politics section are based on people talking like there is no hope. Like Ajanleko, said, we are on the way. It may seem painful or like its not happening, but like a lot of people, I am very optimistic. Infact its generally known that situations gets worse before they get better, there's always light at the end of the tunnel and I know its not the lights of an upcoming train!

Like I said, I raised the thread because Il like to see and hear our ideas on how free and fair elections can be held. Look at this scenario, lets say by ommission commission, a new INEC chairman is brought in, and he by chance is someone like Fashola who wants to make a change and we are asked to suggest ways for him to give a system of holding free and fair elections inspite of all the political scallywags we have, what will you suggest?
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by proudly9ja(m): 8:24pm On Apr 26, 2009
A-town:

Stop dreaming. You CAN NOT have free n fair elections in Nigeria. You can't arrest a problem from the top. You need to start from the roots.
Go to Nigerian Universities and see what students are doing as far as elections. It's a win by all means scenario. All because they want to embezzle.
I blame the muda bleeping parents that were born between 1900 - 1965.
What do you expect when parents help their children cheat during the primary 6 national common entrance examinations. This goes on until Jamb.
Now you expect such kids to grow up and not want to win at all costs? U are in a fairy tale

I know and have seen what our so called SUG leaders are doing in Universities all around Naija, but I also know and Ive seen within this so called corrupt system, students in departments holding free and fair elections. Within my department, I remember that our then president was begged by all even co aspirants to make sure he runs a second term but inspite of all the perks that come with political office, he refused and the only reason he gave was that he did not want to set a wrong precedence. He held a free and fair election and another person came on board.

The fact is that, there are credible people in Nigeria and I know that some day, the way Dora was made NAFDAC head, ElRufai made Abuja Minister, Fashola made Lagos State Governor, some day, some credible person will be made INEC Chairman. Someone who will be ready to put his life at stake just so that we hold a free and fair election. My question is, when that happens, what will be your suggestion?
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by SkyBlue1: 8:40pm On Apr 26, 2009
It is so easy for people to veer this topic into some introspection of the Nigerian psyche and state of the citizenry, etc. The topic is 'how can we hold credible elections?' so I don't know whether it calls for the same old analysis of "the people need to change" or "the people need to demand" rhetoric which although might suffice we have heard a thousand times. Elections at is basics is simply selection of leaders by the people. I am making an effort to explain because I was expecting a thread with postulated ideas (which we might all think obvious) on how to carry out elections which is credible and produces results that represent the voting and the will of the people, not another introspection on the state of the citizenry.

Someone raised an idea a while ago of re running elections for however long it takes for a particular state until people who are rigging get it into their heads that elections that are fraudulent will be rerun until fair elections are held. Some jested at the idea but I thought it held substance behind the thinking. A precedence has not yet been set in terms of free and fair elections (unless we are counting the abiola incident which was cancelled anyway) hence there is nothing to look back on to inspire confidence or build a foundation on, hence I agree with the poster who raised that suggestion to an extent. With all that is happening in Nigeria and the past history, I don't think it should matter if elections take two months to be completed as long as we get it right so that a foundation and culture of free and fair elections can begin to develop. I was an ardent supporter of cancelling the elections which brought Yar Adua into power partly because of the reason I just stated, we can't just say "next election will be better".

At the current state of Nigeria and with the past history of the country I was quite surprised at the duration of the presidential elections. If I was to run elections in Nigeria I would run it 3 states a day or some system like that, why? Because elections take resources and if we are serious about it and want free and fair elections it also means we have to concentrate on were elections are held and hence have more of a chance of protecting votes and fighting electoral malpractices. Imagine CCTV cameras in all polling stations coupled with security personnel or imagine live coverage of all polling stations in one state. Every single polling station would also count their results under camera monitoring (even if it is a process of one person showing people each deposited vote and putting it on some tally) and post results after elections.

There should be no “moving” or “transportation” of the ballots because it seems in Nigeria transportation of ballots always seems to be the section of the election process were things go “missing” en route to their destinations. The Media will have a part to play by reporting, every polling station simply submits their results which are posted, made known and collated. After three states or so are done simultaneously we know those states have been done, then other three states next day. The point I am trying to make is if it will take long election durations to get it right then why not? Or do we all prefer the alternative of more wasted years of crying electoral fraud and using it as an excuse for underdevelopment?
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by asha80(m): 8:43pm On Apr 26, 2009
Forget nigeria tongue
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by moneygurl: 8:45pm On Apr 26, 2009
This the time for Nigerians to stand up.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 8:47pm On Apr 26, 2009
moneygurl:

[size=13pt]This the time for Nigerians to stand up.[/size]
kaching!!!
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 8:48pm On Apr 26, 2009
I think there needs to be less emphasis on the government and more on the real leaders!  for example what politician can make it in Nigeria without the funding from a wealthy individual?  The truth is the business men fund the politicians and the politicians promise them something in return, so the real leaders of Nigeria are the businessmen and the politicians take the blame ( and steal public funds).

We all know that the president could hold fair elections tommorow if he wanted to but he will not because no one gives up power willingly? If the new business class are ETHICAL they will fund ethical politicians and the change we crave will be realized.

@Lixnon,
After reading ur response, the first question that came to my mind is, are there countries where free and fair elections are held? If to u the answer to this question is yes, then are there not businessmen in those countries?
To me, the major problems of this country lies mostly on the issue of lack of institutions.
If Nigeria has an electoral body like inec that is not politically based, independent of the party in power, with the chairman of the body not appointed by the president. This body will definitely owe no party explanations at the end of every election.
Look at inec, just formed for the 1999 election with the president left with powers to appoint the chairman. What will u expect when a man is called by another to chair an election in which he is part of?
If mr. a manages to become the president of Nigeria tomorrow, the first effort to secure his second and possible third tenure will be to change the inec chairman with his close pal.
The so called businessmen will explore the loopholes given by the ppl in govt.
Presently, the major interest of pdp on the electoral reforms is in the area of who appoints the inec chairman. He who pays the piper dictates the tone.
Look at inec, efcc, and other commissions in Nigeria that are supposed to be institutions, they are all politicized to suit the purpose of that one who introduced them. No wonder every no govt will strive clear old bodies and establish theirs to make room for inordinate ambitions.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by SkyBlue1: 8:59pm On Apr 26, 2009
chidichris:

@Lixnon,
After reading ur response, the first question that came to my mind is, are there countries where free and fair elections are held? If to u the answer to this question is yes, then are there not businessmen in those countries?
To me, the major problems of this country lies mostly on the issue of lack of institutions.
If Nigeria has an electoral body like inec that is not politically based, independent of the party in power, with the chairman of the body not appointed by the president. This body will definitely owe no party explanations at the end of every election.
Look at inec, just formed for the 1999 election with the president left with powers to appoint the chairman. What will u expect when a man is called by another to chair an election in which he is part of?
If mr. a manages to become the president of Nigeria tomorrow, the first effort to secure his second and possible third tenure will be to change the inec chairman with his close pal.
The so called businessmen will explore the loopholes given by the ppl in govt.
Presently, the major interest of pdp on the electoral reforms is in the area of who appoints the inec chairman. He who pays the piper dictates the tone.
Look at inec, efcc, and other commissions in Nigeria that are supposed to be institutions, they are all politicized to suit the purpose of that one who introduced them. No wonder every no govt will strive clear old bodies and establish theirs to make room for inordinate ambitions.

@chidichris your post makes a lot of sense, however are you saying it is going to be impossible to bribe a so called "independent" INEC chairman? As long as the laws which govern the operation and conduct of institutions like INEC are made more secure so vote rigging and malpractices are difficult to instigate, and as long as solid procedures which MUST BE adhered to are put in place and enforcedthen it might be more difficult for malpractices to occur at the rate they do in Nigeria. Basically laws and procedures need to be put in place which immediately serve as grounds for disqualification of the INEC chairman or an INEC official when such procedures are broken and also serve for annulment of results from a particular area or the elections in general. These procedures and laws need to be made known through ad campaigns and air time to the populace so they are informed of what is acceptable and what is definately not with regards to actions of electoral officers and security.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 9:03pm On Apr 26, 2009
As we are all looking for solutions -

1. Rebrand or reform the Police ( without respect for the police or laws of the country nothing will never work)

2. Strengthen the educational establishment ( underfunding has killed edcational establishments in Nigeria. Good Education system gives people hope. In nigeria today one of the fastest way of making money is through a political positions until we can channel that energy to other areas nothing will never work)

3. Reform the people ( Hopefully education and policereforms should take care of this area)  Nigerians are generally law abidding people an example - people actually queue for buses in lagos state.  I was a very young boy then but i understand during WAI era it equated to law and order in the country.

so we can do it
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by yeswecan(m): 9:09pm On Apr 26, 2009
@Kobojunkie, i understand your point.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by linxon(m): 9:10pm On Apr 26, 2009
proudly9ja:

I know and have seen what our so called SUG leaders are doing in Universities all around Naija, but I also know and Ive seen within this so called corrupt system, students in departments holding free and fair elections. Within my department, I remember that our then president was begged by all even co aspirants to make sure he runs a second term but inspite of all the perks that come with political office, he refused and the only reason he gave was that he did not want to set a wrong precedence. He held a free and fair election and another person came on board.

The fact is that, there are credible people in Nigeria and I know that some day, the way Dora was made NAFDAC head, ElRufai made Abuja Minister, Fashola made Lagos State Governor, some day, some credible person will be made INEC Chairman. Someone who will be ready to put his life at stake just so that we hold a free and fair election. My question is, when that happens, what will be your suggestion?

Have'nt people been crying out for an overhaul all of the Universities in Nigeria because they have been taken over by cultists? All of a sudden universities are the solution.  You are contradicting yourself slightly because on the one hand you are saying a saviour is in the making then on the other hand you are saying has anybody got suggestions for the saviour.  Barrack Obama was elected because he had solutions, so that someone you suggested should have all of the solutions.
Sky Blue:

It is so easy for people to veer this topic into some introspection of the Nigerian psyche and state of the citizenry, etc. The topic is 'how can we hold credible elections?' so I don't know whether it calls for the same old analysis of "the people need to change" or "the people need to demand" rhetoric which although might suffice we have heard a thousand times. Elections at is basics is simply selection of leaders by the people. I am making an effort to explain because I was expecting a thread with postulated ideas (which we might all think obvious) on how to carry out elections which is credible and produces results that represent the voting and the will of the people, not another introspection on the state of the citizenry.

Someone raised an idea a while ago of re running elections for however long it takes for a particular state until people who are rigging get it into their heads that elections that are fraudulent will be rerun until fair elections are held. Some jested at the idea but I thought it held substance behind the thinking. A precedence has not yet been set in terms of free and fair elections (unless we are counting the abiola incident which was cancelled anyway) hence there is nothing to look back on to inspire confidence or build a foundation on, hence I agree with the poster who raised that suggestion to an extent. With all that is happening in Nigeria and the past history, I don't think it should matter if elections take two months to be completed as long as we get it right so that a foundation and culture of free and fair elections can begin to develop. I was an ardent supporter of cancelling the elections which brought Yar Adua into power partly because of the reason I just stated, we can't just say "next election will be better".

At the current state of Nigeria and with the past history of the country I was quite surprised at the duration of the presidential elections. If I was to run elections in Nigeria I would run it 3 states a day or some system like that, why? Because elections take resources and if we are serious about it and want free and fair elections it also means we have to concentrate on were elections are held and hence have more of a chance of protecting votes and fighting electoral malpractices. Imagine CCTV cameras in all polling stations coupled with security personnel or imagine live coverage of all polling stations in one state. Every single polling station would also count their results under camera monitoring (even if it is a process of one person showing people each deposited vote and putting it on some tally) and post results after elections.

There should be no “moving” or “transportation” of the ballots because it seems in Nigeria transportation of ballots always seems to be the section of the election process were things go “missing” en route to their destinations. The Media will have a part to play by reporting, every polling station simply submits their results which are posted, made known and collated. After three states or so are done simultaneously we know those states have been done, then other three states next day. The point I am trying to make is if it will take long election durations to get it right then why not? Or do we all prefer the alternative of more wasted years of crying electoral fraud and using it as an excuse for underdevelopment?

This is why the cycle continues, we are trying to build a house on a weak foundation. CCTV cameras can be disconnected or blocked then what? Use security guards to make sure the CCTVs are safe.  All these measures are because the people in charge are corrupt and will hold on to power no matter what, dose the government have to spend half of its yearly buget to ensure free and fair elections?

The solutions will have to be more than tinkering with a faulty corrupt system - unfortunately it will take a new generation to come and change things bottom up. How? well, Nigeria derives most of its revenue from oil so the government in power has an endless supply of funds to retain power.  Furthermore, the government can use legislation to solidify its position.  Things will change when Nigeria is able to tranform itself in to a secondary economy, atleast.  The new generation of entrepreneurs will have to find a solution to the power supply whether the state provides it or not and as a result the governments lion share of income will start to come from taxes.  This is the point where the new younger generation will replace the so called God-fathers with respectable, internationally renowned citizens who only sponsor politicians who can match there standards. Since most on this forum like to quote President Obama, I remember he said: 'You are the change'.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by Redman44(m): 9:10pm On Apr 26, 2009
Fellow Nairalanders, I deeply believe free, fair and credible elections can be held in Nigeria. We don't have to give up hope. I just read read Reuben Abati's article about his trip through Northern Nigeria. It is on The Guardian website. Nigeria is a great country. It is the hatred of change by most citizens of the country that is holding our progress back. We need to change our mentality that always believes positive things cannot happen. Cheers.
Re: How Can We Hold Credible Elections In Nigeria? by SkyBlue1: 9:21pm On Apr 26, 2009
linxon:

Have'nt people been crying out for an overhaul all of the Universities in Nigeria because they have been taken over by cultists? All of a sudden universities are the solution. You are contradicting yourself slightly because on the one hand you are saying a saviour is in the making then on the other hand you are saying has anybody got suggestions for the saviour. Barrack Obama was elected because he had solutions, so that someone you suggested should have all of the solutions.
This is why the cycle continues, we are trying to build a house on a weak foundation. CCTV cameras can be disconnected or blocked then what? Use security guards to make sure the CCTVs are safe. All these measures are because the people in charge are corrupt and will hold on to power no matter what, dose the government have to spend half of its yearly buget to ensure free and fair elections?

The solutions will have to be more than tinkering with a faulty corrupt system - unfortunately it will take a new generation to come and change things bottom up. How? well, Nigeria derives most of its revenue from oil so the government in power has an endless supply of funds to retain power. Furthermore, the government can use legislation to solidify its position. Things will change when Nigeria is able to tranform itself in to a secondary economy, atleast. The new generation of entrepreneurs will have to find a solution to the power supply whether the state provides it or not and as a result the governments lion share of income will start to come from taxes. This is the point where the new younger generation will replace the so called God-fathers with respectable, internationally renowned citizens who only sponsor politicians who can match there standards. Since most on this forum like to quote President Obama, I remember he said: 'You are the change'.

That is why I brought the whole issue of the media playing a part and the fact that is CCTV means live streaming is possible and it is hence possible to catch images of people disconnecting cctvs before they do so. I don’t want to get into the whole technicality of it because this is not the intent of this thread however CCTVs aren’t just erected or thrown in any how, they are normally carefully networked so that things like successfully disconnecting cameras without your image being caught on camera and streamed to monitors are made more difficult than you might presume.

I don’t know whether it is necessary to inform people on here that they are the change or any of that, such rhetoric has been posted en masse on this forum already, yeah we know we are the change, etc. However what does being “the change” mean if we are not willing to work towards solutions to changing things or if we are not willing to work at all but rather sit in comfort knowing that “we are the change”? Such rhetoric isn’t new, it is like someone else coming to give another “the problem with Nigeria” speech as if we don’t know the problems. Correct me if I am wrong but the poster was looking for ideas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NNPC, SNEPCO Donate 16 Vehicles To Lagos State Government (photos) / Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack: 7 Passengers Feared Killed, Many Missing / He Impregnated Bisi Ibidapo-Obe - Dino's In-Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.