Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,505 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. (27945 Views)

United Action For Democracy Protests Against Buhari's Government (Photos) / Buhari Is Making Appointments Without Tinubu's Knowledge- Lagos Assembly / Folasade Tinubu-Ojo Protests Against APC Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Movic1(m): 2:48pm On Oct 13, 2015
JUDE Idimogu, is a lawmaker representing Oshodi/Isolo constituency 2 in the Lagos State House of Assembly. Though he hails from Imo State, he successfully won a seat in the House on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), defeating the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the keenly contested election. During an interview with him,He speaks on how he copes as the first Igbo man to win a seat in the Lagos Assembly, his constituency projects and other national issues.

There are speculations that some mem- bers of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) in the Assembly plan to defect to the All Progressives Congress(APC), because they are apprehensive that they may not win a second term. How true is this?

It is good you called it speculations because we are eight PDP members in the Assembly and I have not noticed any indication from any of our members that they plan to defect. Even if anyone plans to do that, I personally think that it would be too early. However, it
is not business as usual because of the recent Supreme Court judgment barring political office holders from defecting to other parties unless their tenure ends. So defection would be impossible for now.
But the Supreme Court judgment gives a caveat in the sense that one can defect if there is crisis at the national level of a party, then one can defect….
The issue is that the APC is made up of three parties and I do not see anything special about the party. In the PDP right now, there is crisis, but it would definitely be resolved soon. In every association, there is bound to be crisis, but the thing that makes you stand out is your ability to resolve it.

Do you have any plans to defect?

I do not have any plans to defect anytime soon. I love the PDP because they made me what I am today. The party gave the platform to contest and I do not want to betray the trust they have put in me. When we talk about the future, we should bear in mind that people would always consider options that would favour them. But as it is, I remain loyal to the PDP.

What is the situation of the Lagos State PDP?
The house is not still in order for now but we are working towards it. It is not something that would be resolved in a few days. It would take a while, but we are working towards it. It is not easy being the ruling party for 16 years, and then all of a sudden, you find yourself in the opposition. It would take a lot of time to adjust because a lot of things went wrong. The future of the PDP is bright and I believe the crisis would be resolved soon. With sincerity, hard work and integrity especially from our leaders, we would shine again. We still have many of our leaders in the party, even though some have left. Our leaders have been meeting and we would get over the problems we are facing.

The issue of where the national chairman of the party would emerge is causing crisis in the PDP. As a stakeholder, are you also of the school of thought that the South West should produce the national chairman of the party?

From my own point of view, I feel that since the presidential candidate of the party is likely to come from the north, it should not also produce the chairman. There is nothing wrong in asking for it, but right now, we should consider the zones where PDP has a stronghold based on the last elections. All the zones are free to contest, but I feel that the PDP should zone the chairmanship to a zone that is predominantly PDP.

You are the first south easterner to win elections into the legislature in the South West.

How challenging has it been?
Someone once said that after Nnamdi Azikiwe, I am the next Igbo person that has won elections into the legislature in the South West. My experience has been very fine, but it has put me under a lot of pressure. The expectations from me are very high especially from my constituents and those that voted me in. It is not easy to please everyone because so much is expected of you. At the same time, I am also happy that the high expectations are making me a better person and I have made a promise to my constituents that I won’t disappoint them. The pressure has put me on my toes and I am enjoying the attention it is giving. My wife is Yoruba and I understand the language to an extent. However, I have tried to prevail on my colleagues to stop the use of Yoruba Language and revert to the use of the English during our Thursday sitting, though I have not moved a motion to that effect, I will soon do that because i dont think its proper to speak local language in the house.

What steps are you taking to attract projects to your constituency?
You can see already that the governor has started rehabilitation in many of the bad roads in my constituency and he has promised to do more. I met him personally to draw his attention to the state of the roads and he promised to rehabilitate some of them. I am happy
that he is fulfilling his promise. Even if it’s a palliative measure, I am happy that something is being done. Prior to my election, I have always been concerned about the state of
bad roads and one of my campaign promises was that I would do everything within my power to lobby for most of the bad roads to be constructed. Even though it’s not within my purview to construct roads, I have consistently canvassed for the roads to be rehabilitated
and the press has also been of help in creating awareness on the state of the roads.
In terms of constituency projects, things would definitely take shape very soon. Things are slow now probably because a cabinet is yet to be constituted. When that is done, things would start taking shape and every constituency would have the opportunity to present their needs.

www.centurynewsngr.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by OZAOEKPE(f): 2:50pm On Oct 13, 2015
"the sophisticated people got so many evil characters, they're snitch, back-stabbers, back-bitters, tribalistic, and so on. They like behaving like slaves".

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by wilybebsy(m): 2:50pm On Oct 13, 2015
9ja i hail o
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by ANBAKO: 2:54pm On Oct 13, 2015
I hope he knows that Yoruba is an official language in Nigeria so as English,I gbo and Hausa.

He should please hire an interpreter. At least that will be part of his youth empowerment program.

This is why it is a must in some countries to know their language before becoming a citizen.

Happy for you anyways. I love your gut and admire your achievements

Do good for good to come your way

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by carzola(m): 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2015
Am not surprised....
Animalistic people
educated illiterates...

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by xrisdon(m): 3:01pm On Oct 13, 2015
why should they use yoruba language in NO MAN'S LAND?
they can use it in osun, oyo and others but definetly not Lagos grin grin grin

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Philistine(m): 3:05pm On Oct 13, 2015
If he is not contented with the use of yoruba in the assembly, he can join his brothers in Biafra or take solace in the lagoon. Smh!

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 13, 2015
yolololo local rapper grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Tomtoxic: 3:35pm On Oct 13, 2015
if d flat head doesn't wanna hear Yoruba he should jump into d lagoon dat 1 nur nid gate fee

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by xrisdon(m): 3:36pm On Oct 13, 2015
Philistine:
If he is not contented with the use of yoruba in the assembly, he can join his brothers in Biafra or take solace in the lagoon. Smh!

Don't worry very soon Igbos will dominate in the Lagos assembly, and we will ban the Yoruba language and makes igbo the official language grin grin grin

before any yoruba man will become governor he must understand igbo language first or be ready to be impeached grin grin

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Movic1(m): 3:39pm On Oct 13, 2015
xrisdon:

Don't worry very soon Igbos will dominate in the Lagos assembly, and we will ban the Yoruba language and makes igbo the official language grin grin grin

before any yoruba man will become governor he must understand igbo language first or be ready to be impeached grin grin

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Movic1(m): 3:42pm On Oct 13, 2015
xrisdon:

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Movic1(m): 3:51pm On Oct 13, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
"the sophisticated people got so many evil characters, they're snitch, back-stabbers, back-bitters, tribalistic, and so on. They like behaving like slaves".

They are evil,tribalistic.backstabbers yet an igboman is a law maker in their state. One Igboman in the midst of Yorubas and you still called them slaves? You must be joking. .

45 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by MayorofLagos(m): 3:53pm On Oct 13, 2015
This will be like a Mexican complaining about English as the language of instruction in American schools.

Que pas habla Espanol

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 13, 2015
xrisdon:

Don't worry very soon Igbos will dominate in the Lagoos assembly, and we will ban the Yoruba language and makes ibo the official language grin grin grin

u mean in d Lagoon? before that time, Igala people will rule Anambra, d ikweres and others must have taking d entire leadership of d east bf is possible

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by coolitempa(f): 3:58pm On Oct 13, 2015
The fraudulent election of this man will be reversed......our generosity has been abused by these people.... angry angry angry....and our people are now wiser... angry

31 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Tolatutu: 3:59pm On Oct 13, 2015
Since his wife is Yoruba he should ask her to teach him. Lagos is Yoruba land and we will continue to speak Yoruba in the house of assembly

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Kingspin(m): 4:00pm On Oct 13, 2015
Who is still minding Nigeria? Just live and let others live problem since 1914. No wonder Nigerians abroad live in peace more than those down here. Everybody dream peace but nobody is working for the peace. Suffering and smiling people of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:02pm On Oct 13, 2015
His colleagues should at least consider him na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

yo flattie, What's good? grin

15 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Kingspin(m): 4:10pm On Oct 13, 2015
coolitempa:
The fraudulent election of this man will be reversed......our generosity has been abused by these people.... angry angry angry....and our people are now wiser... angry
We mean other fraudulent elections in Nigeria both at local/state & national levels?
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by iktripz(m): 4:12pm On Oct 13, 2015
Whollup Whollup ! Dj Spinall announces first studio album. Who's Ready??
>>> http:///1LiOdSC

kolawaxxy:

yo flattie, What's good? grin
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by geez18(m): 4:46pm On Oct 13, 2015
ANBAKO:
I hope he knows that Yoruba is an official language in Nigeria so as English,I gbo and Hausa.

He should please hire an interpreter. At least that will be part of his youth empowerment program.

This is why it is a must in some countries to know their language before becoming a citizen.

Happy for you anyways. I love your gut and admire your achievements

Do good for good to come your way

the last time i checked,English was still the lingua franca of Nigeria...

11 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 13, 2015
Okk
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Olufemiolaolu(m): 4:59pm On Oct 13, 2015
xrisdon:
U must be crazy or sometin, ur entire east is a no man's land too. Can a yoruba man be welcomed in iboland. Nonsense & useless talk. This pple re mad walahi

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by simplycarro: 5:01pm On Oct 13, 2015
They will frustrate the impostor until he stop coming to the House.

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by jmoore(m): 5:02pm On Oct 13, 2015
MayorofLagos:
This will be like a Mexican complaining about English as the language of instruction in American schools.

Que pas habla Espanol
Is Yoruba a country? Your comparison is hogwash!! undecided

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by jmoore(m): 5:03pm On Oct 13, 2015
Jude Idimogu, carry on. Nothing do you joor. Enjoy the dividends of one Nigeria The online warriors(offline cowards) can hug the transformer in our street [ Light dey] grin

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Ilekeh(f): 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2015
simplycarro:
They will frustrate the impostor until he stop coming to the House.

grin grin grin grin

Eko o ni baje. grin

He can ask his Yoruba wife to keep teaching him nau. Yoruba is the local and national language of Lagos.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Smooyis(m): 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2015
When you are in Rome you behave like a roman.

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 13, 2015
What do you expect, yorubas are local animals.
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by jamalchance(m): 5:11pm On Oct 13, 2015
He has seen nothing yet ... Sho ti Gbo

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

How Kwara People ‘flogged’ Us Out Of Office – Senate President’s Ally Ali Ahmad / National Association Of Poly Students To Disrupt Flights In Abuja / Maimuna Lami Gogo Shiru Saves Nigeria ₦‎7tn In Litigation, Gets Honoured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.