Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,180 members, 7,780,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:21 AM

Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly (1072 Views)

State Houses Of Assembly Speakers Meet In Owerri (Photos) / 36 Speakers Of State Houses Of Assembly Storm Imo To Discuss Biafra .... / EFCC Seizes Houses Of Bala Mohammed And His Son, Shamsudeen Bala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by tpiander: 7:30pm On Oct 14, 2015
it worked in Lagos, but can it work in other states?

your views.
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by tpiander: 7:36pm On Oct 14, 2015
i must say, I had my doubts initially when the idea was first floated, but it didnt turn out so bad at all.

However, one must make allowance for the fact that each state is different.
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by praise010(m): 7:38pm On Oct 14, 2015
I doubt the usefulness of adopting indigenous language for just one day's sitting in a week. Either its adopted wholly or not adopted at all.
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by tpiander: 7:39pm On Oct 14, 2015
praise010:
not ideal

where are you from and why would it not be ideal in your state?
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by rhymaster: 7:44pm On Oct 14, 2015
praise010:
not ideal

I am ibo but I live in another man's land. I prefer the West (Yorubaland) to mine. If I am chased away I would rather go back to he north or Port Harcourt. This is why I don't like the use of native languages.

1 Like

Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by praise010(m): 7:50pm On Oct 14, 2015
[quote author=rhymaster post=38986968]
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by praise010(m): 7:50pm On Oct 14, 2015
rhymaster:

I am ibo but I live in another man's land. I prefer the West (Yorubaland) to mine. If I am chased away I would rather go back to he north or Port Harcourt. This is why I don't like the use of native languages.

Now I know why there is no youth in Buhari's ministerial list.

1 Like

Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by MayorofLagos(m): 8:12pm On Oct 14, 2015
rhymaster:

Lmao... grin
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by tpiander: 8:15pm On Oct 14, 2015
praise010:
I doubt the usefulness of adopting indigenous language for just one day's sitting in a week. Either its adopted wholly or not adopted at all.

nothing wrong with the former.

didnt even know it was just one day a week.
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by owobokiri(m): 8:21pm On Oct 14, 2015
Lagos is a cosmopolitan state and a whole lot of people invested in Lagos when it was a federal capital.. Now that some ethnic chauvinists are hellbent on turning Lagos into a mere tribal dump, you guys should go the full hug and ask for a state of your own. You cant be fighting for one Nigeria so you can gulp other peoples oil revenue while at your backyard all we see are tribally motivated policies that do violence to the very spirit of the said "one Nigeria".. There must be a limit to this art of endless treachery..

1 Like

Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by tpiander: 8:24pm On Oct 14, 2015
Stick to topic plz.
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by superstar1(m): 8:35pm On Oct 14, 2015
owobokiri:
Lagos is a cosmopolitan state and a whole lot of people invested in Lagos when it was a federal capital.. Now that some ethnic chauvinists are hellbent on turning Lagos into a mere tribal dump, you guys should go the full hug and ask for a state of your own. You cant be fighting for one Nigeria so you can gulp other peoples oil revenue while at your backyard all we see are tribally motivated policies that do violence to the very spirit of the said "one Nigeria".. There must be a limit to this art of endless treachery..

... and who is not blessed with oil revenue or what the hell is this dunce saying?

1 Like

Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 14, 2015
Every yoruba state should use yoruba as the only language in the house in all their sittings. Other states can adopt whatever language they like, Nigeria is a confederate state.
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by Duru1(m): 8:50pm On Oct 14, 2015
tpiander:
it worked in Lagos, but can it work in other states?

your views.

Yari.ba are always deceitful in nature. If you are not interested in "One Nigeria", please say so and stop hiding behind native vernacular to conjure idiocy. The so-called official language in Nigeria is English Language.
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by seunny4lif(m): 9:14pm On Oct 14, 2015
Most times in Ondo state dem dey use Yoruba now cos it's their language cool cool
Tell northern to use English angry angry
Teachers dey explain English and maths with some science subjects to their students in Hausa language grin grin
Doubt me cheesy grin come to kano
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by tpiander: 9:18pm On Oct 14, 2015
Duru1:

Yari.ba are always deceitful in nature. If you are not interested in "One Nigeria", please say so and stop hiding behind native vernacular to conjure idiocy. The so-called official language in Nigeria is English Language.

ki lon so ki lan wi?

are you mad?
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by tpiander: 9:18pm On Oct 14, 2015
seunny4lif:
Most times in Ondo state dem dey use Yoruba now cos it's their language cool cool
Tell northern to use English angry angry
Teachers dey explain English and maths with some science subjects to their students in Hausa language grin grin
Doubt me cheesy grin come to kano

stick to topic.
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by seunny4lif(m): 9:20pm On Oct 14, 2015
xtractor:
Every yoruba state should use yoruba as the only language in the house in all their sittings. Other states can adopt whatever language they like, Nigeria is a confederate state.

Sometimes in Northern state house assembly dey use Hausa Language becos Na their language
Teachers use Hausa language dey explain English, Mathematics and Some science subjects for northern schools grin
Scotland Na part of Britain but dem dey speak Scottish in their parliament
cool
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by tpiander: 9:20pm On Oct 14, 2015
stop attempting to derail the thread folks.

thank you.

you know yourselves, btw.
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by seunny4lif(m): 9:27pm On Oct 14, 2015
tpiander:

stick to topic.

Noo grin grin
I wan glue to the topic cool cool
Yoruba language will work throughout western state but I don't know about the rest....
Like Edo state get different tribes likewise some ND state grin grin
Re: Native Language As Lingua Franca In State Houses Of Assembly by ibedun: 9:29pm On Oct 14, 2015
All Yoruba States should use Yoruba language for deliberation and resolution. Others to choose for themselves.

The bastards who keep ranting about Lagos, well the former capital no pass Yaba/Jibowu. And the new capital is Abuja.

(1) (Reply)

Rivers State Election Tribunal And What It Means For Rivers State. / Congratulaations Mama Taraba / How I Received 10k Gift From Mtn--pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.