Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? (7662 Views)

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? / Dana Crash: Relatives To Receive N16m Per Victim (Insurance) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by Thadude(m): 12:52am On Apr 28, 2009
Recently i was at the immigration center in detriot to conclude application process for a relative, to my amazement all other nationalities, e.g europeans, Asians and Arabs were busy with relative's application process, my question is that why is it that Nigerians in America with unconditional greencard or U.S citizen dont sponsor relatives apart from wives and husbands? is it that they dont have brothers and sisters to assist what about cousins and uncles??
Or is it that they wanna remain the star in the family, who is often looked upon as the becon of hope? What can we do to change this, i might understand the financial side, but what about asking your relative (the intending migrant) to come up wit the application fees, which is about $1000

India, mexico and phillipines are examples of countries who live on fund transfer from hard working families. Why can we emulate them and ease the pressure on the govt. especially since the govt. are confused about the state of our economy. It baffles me that Nigerians in the U.S who have the ability to file for their relatives to come here and live as Greencard holders will prefer to send them invitation for a visit visa knowing that the chance of them gettin the visa will be very slim and if they do eventually get it they wont have the ability to work, and end up livin here illegally doing or sort of illegal things. We need to change our mindset and start doing right! At first i am tempted to think they arent aware, but it is boldly made known to them when they become unconditional greencard holders or U.S citizens. As a U.S citizen you are allowed to file for a primary applicant a yr and that includes the applicants wives and kids if any. Is it an act of wickedness that make them ignore those at home?, why wont you want their relatives to live the good life especially if they are known to be hard working?

6 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by Treetop20(m): 2:00am On Apr 28, 2009
get your facts straight before
chatting shit!
do you know that you cannot just file for just anyone?
it has to be a sibling and it takes up to 10 years.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by OgidiBoy(m): 2:33am On Apr 28, 2009
Who told you Nigerians don't file for there siblings to come into the country. Like treetop20 said, get your facts straight before you start spewing garbage. I hope you know a Us citizen can file for a Parent, child, wife, fiance. You can file for a sibling [brother or sister] if they are under 21. so that effects a lot of filers

What's the big deal "nonsense" just because you filed for a relative to come to America yesterday you want the whole world to know, some of us here have been doing it for years, so if you don't mind quit showing off OK.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by tpiah: 2:49am On Apr 28, 2009
how old is this guy?

as if its a 10 year old typing.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:58am On Apr 28, 2009
Maybe cos Nigerians are disgusting ungrateful mongrels
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by Omonla(f): 4:03am On Apr 28, 2009
Tha_dude:

As a U.S citizen you are allowed to file for a primary applicant a yr and that includes the applicants wives and kids if any. Is it an act of wickedness that make them ignore those at home?, why wont you want their relatives to live the good life especially if they are known to be hard working?

One can't just file for any relative. There are 'preference categories.'
If you are a U.S. citizen parent, the first category that the government will consider, would be filing for your unmarried adult sons and daughters.
Second preference is legal permanent residents filing for their spouses and minor children.
Third preference is married sons and daughters of US citizens.
Fourth preference is [b]brothers and sisters [/b]of adult US citizens. 

Time to get approved for a visa becomes progressively longer as you go down the list. (From months, to 10 years or more).
Most Nigerian parents who are citizens usually have filed for their kids, both married or unmarried. Nigerian spouses usually file for each other, of course. Most of the time though, people don't file for their brothers and sisters because it is the least popular category and it takes forever and a day to get approved. By then, the sibling is probably too old to make any feasible economic impact on his/her life by moving to the US at that point.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by platinumnk(f): 4:31am On Apr 28, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

angry angry
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:43am On Apr 28, 2009
I suggest you comot
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by Sissy3(f): 6:12am On Apr 28, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

roftl! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by jerrytope: 8:25am On Apr 28, 2009
Does any one know if a family member can file for a relative who is aready on student statu in the U.S if yes pleae what i the procedure, il appreciate if you can give me a lead, *****
Thanks
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by uzwu: 11:43am On Apr 28, 2009
Is that possible? I doubt o
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by Omonla(f): 4:03pm On Apr 28, 2009
jerrytope:

Does any one know if a family member can file for a relative who is aready on student statu in the U.S if yes pleae what i the procedure, il appreciate if you can give me a lead, *****
Thanks

Depends. What is your relationship to this person(s), and are they US citizens or legal permanent residents? Your age and marital status would also determine the answer.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by SeanT21(f): 5:36pm On Apr 28, 2009
This is very interesting. I plan on taking the test real soon and I will love to file for my relatives back home.

Is there any age preference?? Can I(18) file for my relatives?
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by Omonla(f): 7:26pm On Apr 28, 2009
SeanT21:

This is very interesting. I plan on taking the test real soon and I will love to file for my relatives back home.

Is there any age preference?? Can I(18) file for my relatives?

You can most definitely file for your parents. If your brothers and sisters are younger than you (under 18 years and unmarried, of course), it would be possible to file for them too, but this usually takes longer than if filing for parents. You cannot file for uncles, aunts and usually cousins (non-immediate family members).

If you have no immediate family that needs to be sponsored, the non-immediate family that includes your under age 16 nephews, nieces or cousins can be sponsored, but it is trickier. If any of these are under the age of 16, the only way to file for them is if you formally adopt them as your own children. Since you are only 18, however, you are not established enough to adopt.

Most importantly: You have to show the government that you can afford to take care of the persons you file for, financially (Form I-134, affidavit of support; Form I-130 petition for alien relative). 

All the best on your citizenship test, by the way.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by SeanT21(f): 5:02am On Apr 29, 2009
Omonla:

You can most definitely file for your parents. If your brothers and sisters are younger than you (under 18 years and unmarried, of course), it would be possible to file for them too, but this usually takes longer than if filing for parents. You cannot file for uncles, aunts and usually cousins (non-immediate family members).

If you have no immediate family that needs to be sponsored, the non-immediate family that includes your under age 16 nephews, nieces or cousins can be sponsored, but it is trickier. If any of these are under the age of 16, the only way to file for them is if you formally adopt them as your own children. Since you are only 18, however, you are not established enough to adopt.

Most importantly: You have to show the government that you can afford to take care of the persons you file for, financially (Form I-134, affidavit of support; Form I-130 petition for alien relative).

All the best on your citizenship test, by the way.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice.

My mom is here and my father has no plans for coming. I was thinking about filing for my cousins and aunties.Thanks for the info. embarassedI cant believe I can not do it. embarassed
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 01, 2009
Y don't you all just go to the USCIS homepage to get answers to your questions. Na wetin.
If you want to file for your dog that you left back in Africa, they'll have answers there for you. han han.
I hear you can even file for a mango tree sef.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by Nobody: 5:21am On Oct 25, 2009
"Want to remain the star"?

How old are you? Do you think its celebrity jobs we're doing here?
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by omoNJ(f): 5:53am On Oct 25, 2009
@ Poster. Some of us here actually wants the best for our relatives, and coming to American might not necessarily be the best. As far as am concern, if u have a good job in Naija, I'll advice u to stay there. I'll invite u to visit (without quitting ur job) and see for yourself how "good" America is. Whats the point of filling when it takes 10yrs to process? How many cousins, aunties and uncles do you have that have 10yrs to wait for an application process? My brother-in-law wants to come to America by-force-by-fire, well guess what? He's an engineer in Naija. Do you think I will advise him to come here and start all over again? Knowing that he will not get a job here as an engineer. People have their reasons for not filling for relatives. I'll suggest u don't generalize your statement. Everyone's situation is different.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians In America Dont File For Relatives To Come Over? by tolexies: 10:19pm On Nov 19, 2015
good day guys. how long do you think it takes for a minor guardianship adoption to be completed in the US

(1) (Reply)

FRSC Returns N443,180 To Relatives Of Auto Accident Victims In Kebbi / USA Visa Interview; A Must Read! / US Visa Interview Transcript : Please Post Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.