Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

Going Back To My Parent's After POP - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Going Back To My Parent's After POP (37249 Views)

Corp Member Found Snake In His Room After POP In Kaduna / 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. / NYSC Leave, Is It Before POP Or After POP? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 15, 2015
When I passed out from NYSC( 2009),I returned back to my parents' house.Instead of using my NYSC savings to rent an apartment,I used that money to do HSE Level 3 certification.Though,I didn't get a job as a Safety Officer with it,but that course gave me an edge in getting my first job.

From my parents' house,I was travelling across the country for aptitude tests and interviews.I even stayed with them for almost two years after getting a job before moving to my own apartment.

Pls don't be in a rush to stay alone.The bitter truth is that staying with friends when you are not working is not palatable.So why not stay with your family.They will surely give you the moral support.

I also use the period to update my knowledge bank.Why waste that money on rentage.PLS USE IT TO UPGRADE YOURSELF or START AN SMALL SCALE BUSINESS.

I also advice fresh graduate to let people know they are looking for job,because you don't know who can help you.My Papa do say that " a close mouth is a closed destiny".NETWORKING is very paramount.It was someone who I gave my CV to that helped to submit it and I was called for an interview.

From my own experience,I was actively involved in God's kingdom advancement cause when I was believing God for a job.Remember the Holy Scripture,Seek first God's kingdom and every other things will be added unto you.

When still staying with your parents,DEVELOP YOUR SOFT SKILLS/TALENTS.I have found out that some folks make a living from their God's given talents/skills.

Just imagine you coping with paying rent and still believing God for a job.Pls save that money and use it for either developing your skills or venturing into business.

I feel your worries,I have passed through it.I remember those days when I will be alone in the house reasoning life.But thank God for His faithfulness,He gave me a job when I didn't expect it.And He is still preserving it for me.

That same God is very much at work to give you your MIRACLE JOB.

9 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Revolva(m): 9:44pm On Oct 15, 2015
amosade30:
just when u tink ya hardwork can mk u rich, God gives grace to dos wu trust in Him. You can be called to resume a job while sleeping in your home even while some folks are moving from gates to gates....Never underestimate God bro!
Oga pls don't go n reason dis way in d western world u r the laughing stock of the week.....define God....lazy minded nigerians who always disturb God....God don't need ur praises...do what god sentyou to do in the world change the world..create / invent..make solutions to problems ok
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by emerich(m): 10:27pm On Oct 15, 2015
I must confess that am really impressed by the comments in this thread so far, let me contribute my 1 cent. Pls am sorry If I offend U by the figures I wld be quoting as I go on.

Am a Medical Lab Scientist, after the successful completion of my 1 year Internship program in a reputable Hospital in Abj, service was the next agenda but was unlucky not to hv made batch C last year which was abt the same time I rounded up, So the pressure kept mounting to rent an apartment as I made up my mind not to go home, my rent for a year was #250,000 with an additional #5,000 for security and PHCN bills which amounted to abt #310,000 in a year which I spilled with a colleague in other to save.

During my internship a year I was able to save #1,000,000 which later rose to #1,150,000 cos I belonged to a Co operative scheme, my colleague had to leave after the successful completion leaving me to cater for the rent alone without no job at hand and banking on the fact that I wld be joining batch A 15, after several deliberation I called home and my mother's immediate response was dear son don't renew ur rent without any job at hand and no discharge certificate, the truth was that I wld hv gotten a job but it won't have been able to cater for my rent and feeding for a year as I also missed out during batch A due to regularization issue which have been sorted and would be joining this batch, I traveled home to be with my parents and endured cos I had a plan of investing during my service year, and to God be the glory I disciplined my self not to spend my hard gotten money instead re invested a large sum of it in my Co operative which is a reliable investment rather than fixed deposit, I hv been at home for a year managing with my dad n little sibling despite the reproach that comes with it but I see the brighter goal ahead n it had helped me to save in preparation for my biz plan during my service year n by the special grace of God Almighty Am gonna succeed , So my dear PCM 's n ex corp members there is absolutely nothing wrong in resorting back home for support after service provided you have a time frame n plan to leave soonest. God Bless You All.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Chikasova(m): 10:49pm On Oct 15, 2015
Its this 'I must not return to my parents house' after my service year mentality that has made people especially ladies do a lot of stupid things during their service year. There's nothing wrong in returning to your parents if you've have not gotten anything to do but it will be very bad if you stay for so long without making efforts to leave the house. Try your best and God will surely fulfill his plans for you. You're all welcome to the Favour market. Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by SenatorJames(m): 2:38am On Oct 16, 2015
jazinogold:
hmmm

op u fit gatecrash the ministerial screening! u mite be lucky to take a bow and leavegrin
Bros you wicked no be small, do you want him to replace Ameachi or Fasola? Anyway your comment is a good stress reliever.

@op. I also thought like this during my time, my advice is that you should go back home but start planning to leave soon, i pray you will be more lucky than me that stayed in my father's house for just 4 months after NYSC. Success story soon.

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by jydeayanx: 3:29am On Oct 16, 2015
I really av been blessed to com across this thread, God bless all those who av taught me one thing or d other here...
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Fraih(f): 6:34am On Oct 16, 2015
Umunede:
Exactly what happened to me some years ago when I was going for NYSC in Osun state. I am very happy today that I made that decision not to go back to my Parent........ ..
. .. .. ...... ...... Above all, be prayerful. Bros, you need God to help you.
Doing all these, barely 3 months after my service, I got the lucrative job I was looking for. Today when, I look back, I feel happy and fulfilled not to have gone back. If I had gone back, I will not struggle the way I did and they will be feeding me 3 times a day. Maybe, I wouldn't have been here.

This came in quite handy...And a great motivation, just like my elder bro, during his NYSC, he comes home every 2wks, But since he passed out in july, hes been home just twice - and just weekends, then i realized big bro is now a bachelor living sound and doing well there...
I refuse to return home after NYSC, been reading a lotta motivations here... Thanks guys!
Fraih
#awaitingCorper2016A
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by doskie(m): 7:20am On Oct 16, 2015
all these people boasting here. It's not by your power oohhhh....
brodah. life in Nigeria is tough
need prayers.

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by doskie(m): 7:22am On Oct 16, 2015
Fraih:

This came in quite handy...And a great motivation, just like my elder bro, during his NYSC, he comes home every 2wks, But since he passed out in july, hes been home just twice - and just weekends, then i realized big bro is now a bachelor living sound and doing well there...
I refuse to return home after NYSC, been reading a lotta motivations here... Thanks guys!
Fraih
#awaitingCorper2016A
okay. lets be friends. we could share ideas. 52e0447d
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by JerryJude(m): 8:13am On Oct 16, 2015
i have been in this kind of situation before, above God was able to see me through..never think of going back to your parents house..look for relations and friends that stays in the city beg them to accommodate for sometimes while searching for job..whatever job that comes your accept with joy. while doing that keep searching for a better job and getting the experience..always keep your career in mind and get focus.

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by chimajii: 10:21am On Oct 16, 2015
kosplateau:

Did you read what he wrote? Teach who? Students are in trouble!

Lwkm cheesy

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by OLUWAFUNMISE(f): 10:43am On Oct 16, 2015
You only need a YES from GOD.
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by 400billionman: 11:09am On Oct 16, 2015
apprentist:
Going back to my Father's House and Mummy's Pot after my service Year.

Sincerely, I've never stopped giving this a thought since I left home for service.
I have huge plans for my service year- Things I look forward to achieve, degrees, skills, contacts and so on. But above all, I look forward to starting life after my service year.
Now, this decision as we all know isn't one that comes on a platter. My reason for saying this goes thus:
1. To afford an apartment will require rentage and maintenance,
2. I'll have to earn to survive,
3. The Societal system doesn't trow jobs at your lap imidiately after service. Just to mention a few.

Some of you here on NL have been through this stage of life already and gracefully sufficed through.
What was your experience like and how did you finally get on your feet?
Do you subscribe to going back to my parent's after service?
Did you have to stay at your parent's while starting life outside?
What were the things you did during your service year that helped you in this area at the long run?

Opinions and Experiances would be grately appreciated.

How much money do you have as savings now or can you secure from family and friends ?

Are you business savvy ?

If you will get a job in the next 12 months, 70% probabilty says it may be a banking job.

I wont advice any graduate to start staying idle at home be it at parents house or your rented apartment.

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by xbtuzyborg(m): 12:57pm On Oct 16, 2015
Exactly what happened to me some years ago when I was going for NYSC in Osun state. I am very happy today that I made that decision not to go back to my Parent. That is what changed my life. That singular decision is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. Below are things I did
Burn the bridge. When I was leaving for NYSC, I told my Parent point blank that I am not coming back to stay with them again. I will only visit them to greet them. They were shocked. They were thinking I was playing. Guess what, that is exactly what happened. I hated going back to them. I am the first born. they have trained me through University. why should I go back to them? so first, hate going back. That is what drove me to work out my life. I never regretted it.
Secondly, know that the good job may not come immediately after service. The question then is what will I be doing to keep me going after NYSC since I will going back to my Parents? Right from the first day, I stepped into Osun state for NYSC, I stopped thinking of NYSC. The only thing in my mind is after NYSC, what will I be doing. In the camp, I was asking questions. You have a talent. I love teaching. The day I left camp, I approached many JAMB/GCE lesson centres that same day by just asking people. Because something is in my mind. I am not going back. I must get something to be doing even after NYSC before the big job will come.
SAVE SAVE SAVE. Our allawe then was 6500 and later increased to 7500. I was saving. You must save every month from your allawe. Don't blow everything. Be prudent. Those savings will help you later.
Prepare for tests and interview. Buy aptitude test and interview books, GMAT. Read wide. Develop yourself.
Start applying for jobs from day one. Tuesday and Thursday Guardian was my friend. I don't have money to buy the newspapers as corper. I visit the local vendor as early as 6am to 7am every Tuesday and Thursday. I will give him 10 or 20 naira to scan through the newspaper before the buyers will start coming. I go with my pen and paper to write down vacancies. later, the vendor became my friend, he sometimes give me the newspaper to scan for free. I remember then, he will tell me, "no dirty am oo", dem de come buy am. I will say Oga, I hear. Most young people nowadays are very lazy. Nothing good comes easy. You have to work out your life. It is through this guy's newspaper I landed the good job I was looking for. Nobody helped me. My friends mocked me then, that I an SAN(senior applicant of Nigeria). I told them I am M-SAN(most senior applicant of Nigeria). Be applying, be writing test and be attending interview. You are getting experience.
Start little. Don't go for a costly well furnished accommodation. They gave me accommodation where I did my service. But from day one, I was asking around where I could get cheap accommodation where I will stay after my service. Eventually, I was able to get a good cheap one. If you are batch B for example, there will be some batch A corp members that their rent runs beyond their service period and they want to leave immediately. You can negotiate with them. That is how I got a good one
Above all, be prayerful. Bros, you need God to help you.
Doing all these, barely 3 months after my service, I got the lucrative job I was looking for. Today when, I look back, I feel happy and fulfilled not to have gone back. If I had gone back, I will not struggle the way I did and they will be feeding me 3 times a day. Maybe, I wouldn't have been here.
Simply the best
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by hYpErbOi: 1:13pm On Oct 16, 2015
[b]@op_my immediate elder brother tried this n now his regretting returning to our parents after his service year. He spent 2years at home going out in-search of job but all to no positive turnout even our parents connection didn't help. After my uncle who is a PS in federal level disappointed him our parent ask him to go for his MSc cus the guy like book pass food. Now after MSc his still under our parents roof cus its now more difficult for him to stand on his own. Now our parents talk is helping him tru Phd level.
As for me wey I just collect my NYSC discharge certificate yesterday I already told them I'm only coming home to visit them for 2wks and I'll return to ilorin wre I served. I really meant it cus I don't depend on ppls promises not even my relatives anyways I'm not interested in career job cus I took to learn cinematography 3mnths ago while still serving and I'll sti be in process of learning for 6month or more but my parents hymn is in career job. Although its bit difficult living in the metropolis when u avnt start earning but I know I'll cope and worst is I'll go home 1s a month to gather foodstuffs. What av gathered from my research so far is that if u try n endure the hardship of standing on ur own, its really gonna worth it at the end but the more u depend on ur parents living with them the more it gets hard for u to be independent cus u r likely to feel too relaxed due to their encouragement of okomi makanjo (don't be in haste).[/b]

4 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by joeace2020(m): 3:17pm On Oct 16, 2015
Some people will tell you after service your suffering has just begun. They are half right, if all you planned for is to leave there, return home and start job hunting. Yes looking for jobs is good but it is not mandatory. i left service in march 2014, and never for once have i had to send CV to anybody. While i was serving i was already running an online business on fiverr.com, then my proceeds on fiverr where invested into mini importation and being in Katsina, where notherners love their gadgets and jewelries, i became a top importer of some sort. Fiverr.com and Aliexpress became my second home once i returned from PPA or CDS. I had developed myself before and after service that when i came out i never had to search for a job and i never will. Infact i have teamed up with other young school leavers and we are in charge of the website on my signature. Now i am a full time skills trainer, helping people actualize their dreams of becoming financially stable and free by earning from the internet. If you are wise. I want you take your time and read what i am about to post. It might help you if you take it up or you can keep job hunting if you so wish. Ciao

For those people who have no jobs, are tired of switching jobs or have no skill at all and want to develop skills that can fetch them money today, here is my Nairaland thread (Brought to you by brilliantlightsmedia) where you can come in to learn how to join fiverr and offfer Hot, In-demand Services as well as developing the skills needed not only to make money monthly working online on fiverr but offline as a workplace skill you can start a business with or use to boost your resume and job chances. Ain't that cool?

The thread is a well explained step by step guide along with images to help you grasp what you need to do. to help you get started today

There are very easy ways of making it through the internet, you just have to find the safest and surest way, and this one beckons. follow me now...

The Nairaland Fiverr Free Training Thread
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by apprentist(m): 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2015
hYpErbOi:
[b]@op_my immediate elder brother tried this n now his regretting returning to our parents after his service year. He spent 2years at home going out in-search of job but all to no positive turnout even our parents connection didn't help. After my uncle who is a PS in federal level disappointed him our parent ask him to go for his MSc cus the guy like book pass food. Now after MSc his still under our parents roof cus its now more difficult for him to stand on his own. Now our parents talk is helping him tru Phd level.
As for me wey I just collect my NYSC discharge certificate yesterday I already told them I'm only coming home to visit them for 2wks and I'll return to ilorin wre I served. I really meant it cus I don't depend on ppls promises not even my relatives anyways I'm not interested in career job cus I took to learn cinematography 3mnths ago while still serving and I'll sti be in process of learning for 6month or more but my parents hymn is in career job. Although its bit difficult living in the metropolis when u avnt start earning but I know I'll cope and worst is I'll go home 1s a month to gather foodstuffs. What av gathered from my research so far is that if u try n endure the hardship of standing on ur own, its really gonna worth it at the end but the more u depend on ur parents living with them the more it gets hard for u to be independent cus u r likely to feel too relaxed due to their encouragement of okomi makanjo (don't be in haste).[/b]

Thanks a million and congrats on ur Passing out. I've made up my mind not to go back home and so help me God.
I'm serving in Kano state, and from the look of things, I seem to have some friends I can be close to I. Delta. hence I'll move to Delta from here basically to start a business and to advance my degree on the long run.
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by MrsJemiee(f): 5:57pm On Oct 16, 2015
queenfav:
For me,I am staying back to apply for jobs o.I feel going home will make me too relaxed.You may think you are strong enough,but slowly the laziness and i-dont-care attitude will creep in.You'll be like "afterall,na free house and free food".There would be little or no push to go the extra mile to get something doing.I am a lady,and I am proud to say I havnt gone home since january,nor called to ask for a dime from anyone since november last year.Being independent is tough,but it prepares you for life ahead.My friends say I should have come as a man.While my corper frnds are busy mapping out how to hold their bf's with pregnancy to get the ring,me na how I go see work before december be my headache o.Thankfully,my rent is not expiring till beginning of january.Its my plan to stay in ekiti,while am hustling to get a job anywhere else,then I can relocate.Life is tough o,but once you take a bold decision to stand tall and fend for yourself,it would help you overcome many hurdles.I feel your parents will respect you and realize that you are trying to be someone in life,when you give them that space,if not dem go just see you finish.My friend a batch b corper that went home has been lamentingn,that the younger ones talk to him anyhow.Even the mother don dey send am to boil beans put for fire because dem see am for house.God forbid o.Before you stay home for up to 2 months,you would have started getting the "what's your plan for your life now?" talk.Anyways,I guess I have always been very independent right from my childhood.It is my prayer that God helps us all o.Because honestly,its not easy to see a child thru sch,that's why I decided to stop depending on my family after my call to bar.From the 19800 I was able to save more than a hundred and fifty thousand ,yet I took care of my self well.Its all about management and good planning.I just dey pity corpers when no get savings.Even if you must go home,please have some money to be paying your little bills till you get a job.If not,get sth small so that you won't lose your respect in your family.I wish us all goodluck.No more 19800,life has officially begun!
nice post. But i got married before i graduated, so i have to wish for the best in my husband's place of abode, though he is strongly suggesting i go for a second degree.
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by hYpErbOi: 6:11pm On Oct 16, 2015
apprentist:

Thanks a million and congrats on ur Passing out. I've made up my mind not to go back home and so help me God.
I'm serving in Kano state, and from the look of things, I seem to have some friends I can be close to I. Delta. hence I'll move to Delta from here basically to start a business and to advance my degree on the long run.

Thanks bro...n I wish u best of luck in ur quest of grooming ursef to become a man. However, always remember ur parents ar ur #1 alternative in difficult moment cus trust me there sure will be difficult moment and the 2nd quarter of ur quest is likely to be the most difficult part. Don't be discouraged when it gets hot instead keep ur head straight and prayer more. Also don't mute ur mouth, always tell somebody to tell somebody u r in search of a career job.

Note: Don't see any comment here as an advise u must follow (all comments are just suggestions) be sure of yourself before proceeding. Things I ll suggest u balance before deciding are:

1. Check ur present family capability n financial status (if u go home will u b a burden or not)?

2. Check urself, how strong r u to cope the hard moment ahead of u?

3. Lastly what is ur alternative plan B shud incase A fails?

**if it face u shoot it, if it backs u shoot it but think twice when u r left alone.

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by apprentist(m): 2:25pm On Oct 17, 2015
hYpErbOi:

Thanks bro...n I wish u best of luck in ur quest of grooming ursef to become a man. However, always remember ur parents ar ur #1 alternative in difficult moment cus trust me there sure will be difficult moment and the 2nd quarter of ur quest is likely to be the most difficult part. Don't be discouraged when it gets hot instead keep ur head straight and prayer more. Also don't mute ur mouth, always tell somebody to tell somebody u r in search of a career job.

Note: Don't see any comment here as an advise u must follow (all comments are just suggestions) be sure of yourself before proceeding. Things I ll suggest u balance before deciding are:

1. Check ur present family capability n financial status (if u go home will u b a burden or not)?

2. Check urself, how strong r u to cope the hard moment ahead of u?

3. Lastly what is ur alternative plan B shud incase A fails?

**if it face u shoot it, if it backs u shoot it but think twice when u r left alone.

I'm Blessed to have read all your comments, really enriched. Thanks
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Chuksmonika(m): 4:11pm On Mar 03, 2018
activelyA:
Going for the next batch...
I am a lady but this is my greatest fear... embarassed

In fact, I MUST NOT RETURN...

Thanks...this is really a great motivation for me
hi dear,this is almost 3yrs since this thread was created,and am sure you are done with service already,So how is Life after service for you?
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by chieni(f): 11:01pm On Mar 03, 2018
legendgalas:
not really dearest, I was opportune to serve in a creek community in bayelsa state and to get to the nearest bank for withdrawal will cost us 5k. so we hardly feed on our allowee during my one year program cus no body fit risk to waste such amount. That was how I never touched the money, it will catch your interest that I was able to save over 280k during that period. pls learn to save so as to broaden your chances on how well to spend when the time arises.
thanks
wow amazing. over 280k, meanwhile some say its not possible to save up to that.
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by chieni(f): 11:07pm On Mar 03, 2018
legendgalas:
not really dearest, I was opportune to serve in a creek community in bayelsa state and to get to the nearest bank for withdrawal will cost us 5k. so we hardly feed on our allowee during my one year program cus no body fit risk to waste such amount. That was how I never touched the money, it will catch your interest that I was able to save over 280k during that period. pls learn to save so as to broaden your chances on how well to spend when the time arises.
thanks
wow amazing. over 280k, meanwhile some say its not possible to save up to that.

on the other hand, I agree with the fact that going home would make one relaxed, instead of looking for something to do.
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by activelyA(f): 1:17am On Mar 04, 2018
Chuksmonika:
hi dear,this is almost 3yrs since this thread was created,and am sure you are done with service already,So how is Life after service for you?

Wowuuuu! !!!!

My dear, It'sbeen God all along
Refused to return and got couple of jobs.. .but then I realized state of deployment matters,

Although hectic, God has been faithful. ..

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 05, 2018
Already got a job, but fuvck it, nothing beats free lunch and accommodation while still getting paid monthly from my job & my business

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by fabby101: 11:47am On Mar 06, 2018
Seriously its not easy, preparing to go for batch A 18 Oluwa I am in ur Hands!

1 Like

Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Ayo199(m): 2:51am On Jun 28, 2018
[quote author=queenfav post=39017713]For me,I am staying back to apply for jobs o.I feel going home will make me too relaxed.You may think you are strong enough,but slowly the laziness and i-dont-care attitude will creep in.You'll be like "afterall,na free house and free food".There would be little or no push to go the extra mile to get something doing.I am a lady,and I am proud to say I havnt gone home since january,nor called to ask for a dime from anyone since november last year.Being independent is tough,but it prepares you for life ahead.My friends say I should have come as a man.While my corper frnds are busy mapping out how to hold their bf's with pregnancy to get the ring,me na how I go see work before december be my headache o.Thankfully,my rent is not expiring till beginning of january.Its my plan to stay in ekiti,while am hustling to get a job anywhere else,then I can relocate.Life is tough o,but once you take a bold decision to stand tall and fend for yourself,it would help you overcome many hurdles.I feel your parents will respect you and realize that you are trying to be someone in life,when you give them that space,if not dem go just see you finish.My friend a batch b corper that went home has been lamentingn,that the younger ones talk to him anyhow.Even the mother don dey send am to boil beans put for fire because dem see am for house.God forbid o.Before you stay home for up to 2 months,you would have started getting the "what's your plan for your life now?" talk.Anyways,I guess I have always been very independent right from my childhood.It is my prayer that God helps us all o.Because honestly,its not easy to see a child thru sch,that's why I decided to stop depending on my family after my call to bar.From the 19800 I was able to save more than a hundred and fifty thousand ,yet I took care of my self well.Its all about management and good planning.I just dey pity corpers when no get savings.Even if you must go home,please have some money to be paying your little bills till you get a job.If not,get sth small so that you won't lose your respect in your family.I wish us all goodluck.No more 19800,life has officially begun![/Quote
wow!!
so what's the plan for your life now..
you're so on point
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by sinaj(f): 8:42am On Jun 28, 2018
Umunede:
Exactly what happened to me some years ago when I was going for NYSC in Osun state. I am very happy today that I made that decision not to go back to my Parent. That is what changed my life. That singular decision is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. Below are things I did
Burn the bridge. When I was leaving for NYSC, I told my Parent point blank that I am not coming back to stay with them again. I will only visit them to greet them. They were shocked. They were thinking I was playing. Guess what, that is exactly what happened. I hated going back to them. I am the first born. they have trained me through University. why should I go back to them? so first, hate going back. That is what drove me to work out my life. I never regretted it.
Secondly, know that the good job may not come immediately after service. The question then is what will I be doing to keep me going after NYSC since I will going back to my Parents? Right from the first day, I stepped into Osun state for NYSC, I stopped thinking of NYSC. The only thing in my mind is after NYSC, what will I be doing. In the camp, I was asking questions. You have a talent. I love teaching. The day I left camp, I approached many JAMB/GCE lesson centres that same day by just asking people. Because something is in my mind. I am not going back. I must get something to be doing even after NYSC before the big job will come.
SAVE SAVE SAVE. Our allawe then was 6500 and later increased to 7500. I was saving. You must save every month from your allawe. Don't blow everything. Be prudent. Those savings will help you later.
Prepare for tests and interview. Buy aptitude test and interview books, GMAT. Read wide. Develop yourself.
Start applying for jobs from day one. Tuesday and Thursday Guardian was my friend. I don't have money to buy the newspapers as corper. I visit the local vendor as early as 6am to 7am every Tuesday and Thursday. I will give him 10 or 20 naira to scan through the newspaper before the buyers will start coming. I go with my pen and paper to write down vacancies. later, the vendor became my friend, he sometimes give me the newspaper to scan for free. I remember then, he will tell me, "no dirty am oo", dem de come buy am. I will say Oga, I hear. Most young people nowadays are very lazy. Nothing good comes easy. You have to work out your life. It is through this guy's newspaper I landed the good job I was looking for. Nobody helped me. My friends mocked me then, that I an SAN(senior applicant of Nigeria). I told them I am M-SAN(most senior applicant of Nigeria). Be applying, be writing test and be attending interview. You are getting experience.
Start little. Don't go for a costly well furnished accommodation. They gave me accommodation where I did my service. But from day one, I was asking around where I could get cheap accommodation where I will stay after my service. Eventually, I was able to get a good cheap one. If you are batch B for example, there will be some batch A corp members that their rent runs beyond their service period and they want to leave immediately. You can negotiate with them. That is how I got a good one
Above all, be prayerful. Bros, you need God to help you.
Your post is so inspiring.
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by smart6(m): 8:53pm On Jul 02, 2018
Read all comments: eye-opening. So @apprentist come and share how it went for you o, this is 2018. Someone might be learning from your experience good or bad. Cheers!
Re: Going Back To My Parent's After POP by Branzy(m): 10:54pm On Jul 02, 2018
smart6:
Read all comments: eye-opening. So @apprentist come and share how it went for you o, this is 2018. Someone might be learning from your experience good or bad. Cheers!

yes o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Corps Member Dies At Enugu Orientation Camp / You Don’t Apply For Exemption Certificate, Says Ex-nysc Director / Female Ex-Corpers Flaunt Their NYSC Certificates (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.