Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,534 members, 7,808,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

How to parent a Stubborn Ward - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How to parent a Stubborn Ward (24001 Views)

Two Children Accidentally Switched At Birth Three Years Ago Returns To Parent / Texts Between A Parent & A Child Inside D Florida Club Where D Shooting Happened / How Do You Handle A Stubborn Kid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by wonyi: 8:18am On Oct 19, 2015
Pidggin:

You are a perfectionist, you need to lower your standard and accept mistakes from people especially kids. I am sure the poor girl was even bored living with you, thank goodness she has been returned to her parents, between both genders need to be groomed to keep their home, I am sure you will not mind a husband that can help you out with chores especially as you are not well. Goodluck

Goodluck to you too. If you read properly you will know I am coping on my own n so don't need any help. I will package her to you so u can continue n give her all the packages she missed.
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by wonyi: 8:21am On Oct 19, 2015
Pidggin:

You are a perfectionist, you need to lower your standard and accept mistakes from people especially kids. I am sure the poor girl was even bored living with you, thank goodness she has been returned to her parents, between both genders need to be groomed to keep their home, I am sure you will not mind a husband that can help you out with chores especially as you are not well. Goodluck

No body is perfect. When a child doesn't take correction what happens?I hug her n buy her a car She stays late till 6pm three school days. So I should take her to club after her return by 6pm? Clearly you didn't read the post from the beginning n shouldn't comment. Her siblings come weekend to visit her n she goes to church on Sunday.
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by doublex: 8:35am On Oct 19, 2015
armyofone:
When you first took her home, you should have bold typed or written down all the rules for her to read. Then you tell her that both of you would sit down and discuss/explain in depth on each rules...
this is great advice especially since she's only 11 because i was 11 a couple of years ago and i remember how i was...
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by doublex: 8:45am On Oct 19, 2015
tearoses:
Please this girl is only 11
I have a 12 year old daughter too so I know exactly what they can and cannot do
You are expecting her to reason like an adult . . .she is a kid

By the grace of God, you will have your own kids too and one day when that girl is 11, you will look back and say, so my own child can do this grin grin

Start again please
You sound like you really want to make a positive difference in this kids life
You need to be the adult here
You pull small, you push small
I go to my daughters room and lie on her bed and we both watch tv together . . .at the same time I am telling her that her room is untidy and where to place things.
Kids need Love, direction and firmness.
The adult needs to balance it
The adult also has to remember that they are dealing with a kid whose brain and physical features are still in development. There is no way my daughter can clean dishes as well as I can. Her hands are much smaller for a start and the sink is much higher for her (most probably more uncomfortable) than it is for me
shey you get what I am saying
greatly said
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by wonyi: 8:54am On Oct 19, 2015
doublex:
this is great advice especially since she's only 11 because i was 11 a couple of years ago and i remember how i was...

Were u disobedient, disrespectful n didn't take corrections? I am still learning n building my relationship with kids . Like someone said it's not a do or die affair. I will visit this section more to learn . I missed it from the beginning by not setting my rules n regulations.
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by doublex: 9:11am On Oct 19, 2015
wonyi:

Were u disobedient, disrespectful n didn't take corrections? I am still learning n building my relationship with kids . Like someone said it's not a do or die affair. I will visit this section more to learn . I missed it from the beginning by not setting my rules n regulations.
i wasnt but i was still a kid in the sense that their was childishness(which many adults can see as disrespectful)...basically a child is naive.am 17 now and have 10 year old younger sibling and can see the same,i get irritated at times then my mom reminds me that thats how i was kind of.either way,am sorry for what you are going through.maybe the physical ailments are making you more irritable which is understandable.plus having to deal with a child at this stage of yours

3 Likes

Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 19, 2015
op the problem began from the foundation.when she first came in,you should have given strict rules to abide by and when she stepped out of line,scold her..it seems you were too soft..she is a kid,kid can be taught and trained to do the right things..i think your health didnt help too.but talk to her and tell her the truth,let her know why you are letting her go tell her you were disappointed by her acts.if you want her back make sure you are at full health and fix strict rules you have to put you foot down but also be patient with here..goodluck..
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by wonyi: 10:51am On Oct 19, 2015
hiroz:
op the problem began from the foundation.when she first came in,you should have given strict rules to abide by and when she stepped out of line,scold her..it seems you were too soft..she is a kid,kid can be taught and trained to do the right things..i think your health didnt help too.but talk to her and tell her the truth,let her know why you are letting her go tell her you were disappointed by her acts.if you want her back make sure you are at full health and fix strict rules you have to put you foot down but also be patient with here..goodluck..

Thanks very much. I know I missed it from The start. Thanks
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by SAMBARRY: 11:44am On Oct 19, 2015
wonyi:

I returned her on saturday morning. Thanks
the better for both of you

1 Like

Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by SAMBARRY: 11:48am On Oct 19, 2015
So when your 11 year old child disobeys you e.g wash the dishes and she doesn't but is inside her room playing video game you will stab her to death or if she disrespects you, you'll throw her out? wink
wonyi:

You are right, that's the reason why after 3 weeks when things didn't fall in place I quietly returned her. It's easier said than done. May God give us the grace to raise our kids properly. I never used her for child slave labour. A girl child needs to b groomed properly otherwise she won't b able to keep her home. Maybe having a stable health would have helped. When a child says sorry, thank u n please easily, it pushes u to love more n b more patient. When my child dares me, he or she faces the consequences with love.

1 Like

Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by wonyi: 12:34pm On Oct 19, 2015
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by wonyi: 12:39pm On Oct 19, 2015
wonyi:

You are right, that's the reason why after 3 weeks when things didn't fall in place I quietly returned her. It's easier said than done. May God give us the grace to raise our kids properly. I never used her for child slave labour. A girl child needs to b groomed properly otherwise she won't b able to keep her home. Maybe having a stable health would have helped. When a child says sorry, thank u n please easily, it pushes u to love more n b more patient. When my child dares me, he or she faces the consequences with love.

@ SAMBARRY, some of us read but don't understand. I repeat I will discipline my children. All through her stay I never flogged her or use harsh words on her. My children will be disciplined. I still take instructions from my husband. I told her she is different from the girl I know in church Moreover all the morals I teach her in church is in vain.
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by wonyi: 12:42pm On Oct 19, 2015
SAMBARRY:
So when your 11 year old child disobeys you e.g wash the dishes and she doesn't but is inside her room playing video game you will stab her to death or if she disrespects you, you'll throw her out? wink
Re: How to parent a Stubborn Ward by happymummy(f): 4:20am On Nov 27, 2017
Well done Wonyi
You are a great woman
Don't mind all the judginas

Nobody will or can stand a child nor helping out with house chores

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

''My Wife Killed Our Child, Hypnotised And Poisoned Me'' / A Man Shares His Encounter With A Hungry Stranger / Why Are Men Becoming Lazy And Un-productive.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.