Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,673 members, 7,801,941 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

Home Practice Secret Of Public Speaking - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Home Practice Secret Of Public Speaking (690 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Hosted By Bloomberg School Of Public Health-photos / My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi / Home Practice Secret Of Starting Public Speaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Home Practice Secret Of Public Speaking by marenx: 6:24pm On Oct 15, 2015
What are the chances you get and use to shine as a public teacher or speaker? I get my chances at home and use them well. But the secret won't stupefy you.

If I want to find it easier, I begin with planning a programme, which is like planning an essay. I brainstorm. That is to say, shortly after finding a topic, I begin to jot down all what come my mind about it. These are usually words or phrases, not sentences. I jot them down even if they are not important.

Shortly afterward, I select and gather the important ones to use as subtopics or topic sentences from the most important to the less. If I will explain them as a quick notice or speech, which is usually during birth day or funeral or club or teaching, I stop here, but if it is a paper, I continue to develop the programme.

Developing a programme, I explain each subtopic or topic sentence through giving examples or definitions and blend it as a paragraph. Assuming I have 5 subtopics or topic sentences plus introduction and conclusion, I have 7 paragraphs in total. But sometimes I break a paragraph in two if it is going complex or long.

While developing a paragraph, there are little things I always consider, and these are things that can make your audience wonder how you remember them. Forexample, I can decide to say something to make them wonder why I say so. I may rely on talking about what is not obvious. For example, talking about my relationship with you during your birthday, I may decide to rely on how you wiped your table when I met you last. This will make the audience wonder why I consider it. But a good thinker may realise I am portraying you as a clean person while others may enjoy the picture (of you) as you clean the table.

At the slope of the game, I choose vocabularies which, I bet, is not too difficult. At winding, I look around me to see if there is any object worth mentioning, it could be salt, wall, chart, door, window, table, drawer, etc. If I choose one, how can I use it? I usually go denotative usage. Forexample, I may decide to use window as follows: My standing here today may serve as a window to understanding the joie de vivre. Or I may decide to use salt as follows: if you are not tasted as salt, you haven't yet a clean slate, and, before us today, this man is our salt. If you are not a denotative language savvy, start learning to be one, it will help you more in writing and speech.

To start learning denotative language usage, I began with a door and use it in lieu of a way. As an example, I said, As learning is a door to becoming a professional or expert in any field so is practice.

As for normal or conotative vocabularies, I usually read newspapers, magazines, novels, text books and so forth to get them. Although, good writers say it is bad to use long words, I use both long and short when the occasion demands. There are listeners or readers that need entertainment and long words gladen them. Most audience love to hear a speaker saying, "Have you ever internationalized yourself? Or what does it mean to self-internationalize?" Is it not a long word? It is, but it is interesting to hear it for the first time or after many months or years.

At the drop of the pen, after every every, I view myself delivering the speech. I usually stand far on the high stage seeing my audience. I try to pronounce the words well and clear. I exercise lots of pauses to see if it gives me good confidence to continue. I use a technique of entering another topic if I forget what to say next.

By Maren John Mafuyai, a literary contributor from Jos

(1) (Reply)

My Novel.genre:romance And A Little Pint Of Suspense. / The Will( A Woman's Agony)- By Akintayo Akinjide / POEM: The Land Is Red

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.