Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,761 members, 7,798,546 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye (6430 Views)

Yoruba Youths Storm US Embassy Over IPOB Suit Against Army / Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online / Blogger Ojo Emmanuel Arrested By Hon. Adebiyi Adeleye (Pics) - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by inlandtaipan: 6:18am On Oct 16, 2015
Writing for Naij.com from Magodo, Lagos, Maxwell Adeyemi Adeleye says the Yoruba youths are no longer making their valuable contributions to the political and cultural life in Nigeria. What can the Yoruba people do to restore lost influence?

Lateef Raji, a public policy analyst, in an article titled “Dwindling Oil Revenue: What Next for Nigeria?” posited that today, despite the pitiful state of unemployment in Nigeria, ironically, the nation is still rated as the third destination of investors and one of the fastest-growing economy in the world. Raji noted that Nigeria is a golden land of numerous opportunities for those who are resourceful, ingenious, creative, innovative, inventive, groundbreaking, enterprising, hardworking, focused, visionary and, most significantly, disciplined.

Consequently, as a concerned Nigerian, I want to question the role(s) of Yoruba youths in the current fight against unemployment, starvation and poverty in Nigeria. This question was necessitated by my discovery through indirect observations that Yoruba youths are the most lazy, perfidious and egoistic youths in Nigeria as at today.

I discovered that the pride of an average Yoruba youth has overshadowed his intellectual judiciousness, level-headedness and sagacity. Today, among ten Nigerians submitting their resumes to multinational corporations eight would be Yorubas. Folks from my generation in the Western Nigeria are too lazy to tap from the abundant opportunities that litter the streets of, say, Lagos, for primitive accumulation of wealth.

The Igbos, and, by extension, the Niger-Deltans and the Northerners have indirectly taken over the control of economy of Lagos, Nigeria’s indisputable number one centre of success, excellence and opportunities.

The Apapa wharf in Lagos has virtually been taken over by the Easterners. The data that I got from the Nigerian custom services divulges that 63% of those licensed to transact businesses in Apapa Wharf are Igbos.

More so, data collected from licensing office reveals that owners of 56% of commercial motorcycles in Lagos are Northerners and Easterners. The lucrative transport business has been hijacked from the Yorubas.

Today, the major work of average Yoruba youths on the streets of Lagos is to collect royalty, due and charges from the Hausas and Igbos, using their motorcycles to make cool cash from their land. Ninety-five percent of transport, travel and tour firms operating in Lagos are owned by the enterprising and hardworking Easterners.

The Yorubas stay at various intersections harassing hardworking people transacting their legal businesses in the name of collecting charges and dues for the local government. I also discovered that majority of the few Yorubas riding commercial motorcycles in Lagos are locally-trained automobile engineers that have abandoned their workshops.

Furthermore, the popular Ladipo and Owode motor spare parts markets in Lagos are now solidly in the hands of Igbos. As usual, the Yoruba youths are in the market collecting dues for their local government chairmen and the Iyaloja General of Lagos. Yaba, Oyigbo, Sabo, Oshodi, Agege, Alaba, Idumota, etc. markets have been taken over by the Easterners and Northerners who are predominantly youths.

Let me also assert unequivocally that the Igbo youths are now becoming more prosperous in the entertainment industry than the Yoruba youths. Today, the Yorubas hardly tune their DSTVs to the Yoruba movie channel of the satellite television; rather, they watch some other movie channel that show English movies with actors and actresses of Igbo extraction. Why? Because most Yoruba movies are short of creativity.

I can also articulate that 85% of the CEOs and executive directors of commercial banks operating in Nigeria today are Igbos and Hausas under the age of 50. They are very talented in boardroom politics, unlike their Yoruba counterparts, and they assist each other with an amazing ease.

Educationally, the Yorubas are no longer in the top-three. According to the National Universities Commission (NUC), Anambra, Imo and Enugu have the highest number of professors and doctorate degree holders in Nigeria. Ekiti and Ondo states that used to top the list have been demoted to number four and six respectively.

In 2014, the reports of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) and the National Examination Council (NECO) revealed that the Yorubas have been upturned by the Easterners in terms of academic performance. Ekiti, a state known as fountain of knowledge, was number 34 in 2013.

The Yorubas are also missing in the sports sector. The Golden Eaglets, Flying Eagles, Super Eagles, Flamingoes, Falconets, Super Falcons, D’Tigers, other national teams are dominated by the Igbos and Hausas. The team that won the African Cup of Nations for Nigeria in 2013 was tagged Biafran national team by some columnists and social commentators, including myself.

Politically, the Igbos and Hausas are more united than the Yorubas. The result of the 2015 presidential election is a point of reference. The Hausas voted massively for General Buhari of the APC, while the Igbos extraordinarily voted for Goodluck Jonathan of the PDP.

Sadly, the Yorubas had no bearing during the election. Jonathan’s inner circle members are currently blaming the Yorubas for their son’s expected defeat. Victorious Buhari’s teammates are reportedly saying that the Yorubas contributed little or nothing to the success of their kinsman.

In conclusion, I want to impel my generation in the Western part of Nigeria to wake up and begin to act. The nation of Nigeria that I am seeing today is hemorrhaging. I suggest we put ourselves in strategic positions. The bitter truth is that our leaders only think for themselves and their children.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by inlandtaipan: 6:19am On Oct 16, 2015
https://www.google.com/m?q=igbos+and+yorubas+clash+in+akure

No wonder their youths go about beating successful Igbos.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Warlord3000(m): 6:19am On Oct 16, 2015
Hmmm
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Warlord3000(m): 6:20am On Oct 16, 2015
inlandtaipan:
https://www.google.com/m?q=igbos+and+yorubas+clash+in+akure

No wonder their youths go about beating successful Igbos.

Instead of you to just shut up after creating the thread...

This your post now shows the aim of the thread creation...

Food is ready... Devour it

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by FKO81(m): 6:22am On Oct 16, 2015
inlandtaipan:
Writing for Naij.com from Magodo, Lagos, Maxwell Adeyemi Adeleye says the Yoruba youths are no longer making their valuable contributions to the political and cultural life in Nigeria. What can the Yoruba people do to restore lost influence?

Lateef Raji, a public policy analyst, in an article titled “Dwindling Oil Revenue: What Next for Nigeria?” posited that today, despite the pitiful state of unemployment in Nigeria, ironically, the nation is still rated as the third destination of investors and one of the fastest-growing economy in the world. Raji noted that Nigeria is a golden land of numerous opportunities for those who are resourceful, ingenious, creative, innovative, inventive, groundbreaking, enterprising, hardworking, focused, visionary and, most significantly, disciplined.

Consequently, as a concerned Nigerian, I want to question the role(s) of Yoruba youths in the current fight against unemployment, starvation and poverty in Nigeria. This question was necessitated by my discovery through indirect observations that Yoruba youths are the most lazy, perfidious and egoistic youths in Nigeria as at today.

I discovered that the pride of an average Yoruba youth has overshadowed his intellectual judiciousness, level-headedness and sagacity. Today, among ten Nigerians submitting their resumes to multinational corporations eight would be Yorubas. Folks from my generation in the Western Nigeria are too lazy to tap from the abundant opportunities that litter the streets of, say, Lagos, for primitive accumulation of wealth.

The Igbos, and, by extension, the Niger-Deltans and the Northerners have indirectly taken over the control of economy of Lagos, Nigeria’s indisputable number one centre of success, excellence and opportunities.

The Apapa wharf in Lagos has virtually been taken over by the Easterners. The data that I got from the Nigerian custom services divulges that 63% of those licensed to transact businesses in Apapa Wharf are Igbos.

More so, data collected from licensing office reveals that owners of 56% of commercial motorcycles in Lagos are Northerners and Easterners. The lucrative transport business has been hijacked from the Yorubas.

Today, the major work of average Yoruba youths on the streets of Lagos is to collect royalty, due and charges from the Hausas and Igbos, using their motorcycles to make cool cash from their land. Ninety-five percent of transport, travel and tour firms operating in Lagos are owned by the enterprising and hardworking Easterners.

The Yorubas stay at various intersections harassing hardworking people transacting their legal businesses in the name of collecting charges and dues for the local government. I also discovered that majority of the few Yorubas riding commercial motorcycles in Lagos are locally-trained automobile engineers that have abandoned their workshops.

Furthermore, the popular Ladipo and Owode motor spare parts markets in Lagos are now solidly in the hands of Igbos. As usual, the Yoruba youths are in the market collecting dues for their local government chairmen and the Iyaloja General of Lagos. Yaba, Oyigbo, Sabo, Oshodi, Agege, Alaba, Idumota, etc. markets have been taken over by the Easterners and Northerners who are predominantly youths.

Let me also assert unequivocally that the Igbo youths are now becoming more prosperous in the entertainment industry than the Yoruba youths. Today, the Yorubas hardly tune their DSTVs to the Yoruba movie channel of the satellite television; rather, they watch some other movie channel that show English movies with actors and actresses of Igbo extraction. Why? Because most Yoruba movies are short of creativity.

I can also articulate that 85% of the CEOs and executive directors of commercial banks operating in Nigeria today are Igbos and Hausas under the age of 50. They are very talented in boardroom politics, unlike their Yoruba counterparts, and they assist each other with an amazing ease.

Educationally, the Yorubas are no longer in the top-three. According to the National Universities Commission (NUC), Anambra, Imo and Enugu have the highest number of professors and doctorate degree holders in Nigeria. Ekiti and Ondo states that used to top the list have been demoted to number four and six respectively.

In 2014, the reports of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) and the National Examination Council (NECO) revealed that the Yorubas have been upturned by the Easterners in terms of academic performance. Ekiti, a state known as fountain of knowledge, was number 34 in 2013.

The Yorubas are also missing in the sports sector. The Golden Eaglets, Flying Eagles, Super Eagles, Flamingoes, Falconets, Super Falcons, D’Tigers, other national teams are dominated by the Igbos and Hausas. The team that won the African Cup of Nations for Nigeria in 2013 was tagged Biafran national team by some columnists and social commentators, including myself.

Politically, the Igbos and Hausas are more united than the Yorubas. The result of the 2015 presidential election is a point of reference. The Hausas voted massively for General Buhari of the APC, while the Igbos extraordinarily voted for Goodluck Jonathan of the PDP.

Sadly, the Yorubas had no bearing during the election. Jonathan’s inner circle members are currently blaming the Yorubas for their son’s expected defeat. Victorious Buhari’s teammates are reportedly saying that the Yorubas contributed little or nothing to the success of their kinsman.

In conclusion, I want to impel my generation in the Western part of Nigeria to wake up and begin to act. The nation of Nigeria that I am seeing today is hemorrhaging. I suggest we put ourselves in strategic positions. The bitter truth is that our leaders only think for themselves and their children.
Ok
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by inlandtaipan: 6:23am On Oct 16, 2015
Warlord3000:

Instead of you to just shut up after creating the thread...

This your post now shows the aim of the thread creation...

Food is ready... Devour it
I was just pondering the reason for the behaviour and a Yoruba youth like them had the explanation. I guess I will be wrong if I say yorubas are educated.

16 Likes

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by osamaBUSH(m): 6:24am On Oct 16, 2015
Ghost story!!
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by forgiveness: 6:26am On Oct 16, 2015
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 16, 2015
Really butter truth that we all should begin to ponder on. Although I differ on a few point especially the part where u said hausa's and igbo's are more united than the yoruba's. That is a fallacy. Everybody knows that the hausa's are the most united in Nigeria but then the yoruba's rank second with the igbo's coming a distant third. On laziness, of a truth the average yoruba man is not as enterprising as the folks from S.E BUT talking about education, I dont know the yardstick you are using but the yoruba's are still ahead.

IN conclusion everybody should wake up. Hausa igbo and yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Warlord3000(m): 6:30am On Oct 16, 2015
inlandtaipan:
I was just pondering the reason for the behaviour and a Yoruba youth like them had the explanation. I guess I will be wrong if I say yorubas are educated.

"No wonder their youths go about beating up successful igbos"

That's not wondering... That's an assertion with flawed conclusion from you...

And I insist...

There is only one aim from you on this thread...

Nonetheless... Enjoy the attention...

Last response from. Me...
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by hinwazaka: 6:33am On Oct 16, 2015
Hogwash. Yorubas are all lazy, their sisters are lazy, their wives are lazy, their sons are lazy, their daughters are lazy, their mothers are lazy, their fathers are lazy, their grandfathers were lazy, their greatgrandfathers were lazy, in fact their entire lineage, past, present and future are lazy, were lazy and will always be lazy. Alongside, their good for nothing cousins, the Hausa/Fulanis, the Yorubitches are the laziest, most good for nothing tribe that ever occupied a region, in the state of Nigeria. Progressive, my foot.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by inlandtaipan: 6:38am On Oct 16, 2015
Warlord3000:

And I insist...

the conclusion is quite straight, Yoruba youths are lazy. They are only good at collecting "owo omo on'ile"

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by 48noble(m): 6:46am On Oct 16, 2015
Tribal war of words can't solve the problems

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Olamipapa(m): 6:46am On Oct 16, 2015
We are the future?
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Mologi(m): 6:49am On Oct 16, 2015
FKO81:
Ok
haaaaa! Baba why na...

Quote the whole page just to say 'ok'
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:51am On Oct 16, 2015
Warlord3000:

And I insist...

ue definition of success is quite different bro...

So, a 4x4 shop with stolen and fake ;DDgoods ;Dgoods is now a success?

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 16, 2015
Who said that?
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 16, 2015
FKO81:

Ok

Do you need to quote the whole text just to type OK?
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by nnachukz(m): 6:53am On Oct 16, 2015
Hating your Igbo neighbour, envying every of his business success and being jealous of him and having an extremely bitter mind against him weigh you down and make you lazy. That is the current problem of the yoruba youth today.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Mologi(m): 6:53am On Oct 16, 2015
Yoruba youths are hustler with big ambitions that they can't actualy stand for or withstand the hardwork that comes with it.

repyoruba

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by nnachukz(m): 6:54am On Oct 16, 2015
obum88:
Who said that?
a yoruba man, just read it again.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by nedu2000(m): 6:56am On Oct 16, 2015
hinwazaka:
Hogwash. They are lazy, their sisters are lazy, their wives are lazy, their sons are lazy, their daughters are lazy, their mothers are lazy, their fathers are lazy, their grandfathers were lazy, their greatgrandfathers were lazy, in fact their entire lineage, past, present and future are lazy, were lazy and will always be lazy. Alongside, their good for nothing cousins, the Hausa/Fulanis, they are the laziest, most good for nothing tribe that ever occupied a region, in the state of Nigeria. Progressive, my foot.
a hausa man that leaves his wife and family up north to hustle?....if u have a trailer load of cement there's only one set of people capable of offloading your goods with limited fuss,they are ready to polish your shoes,empty your soakaway and carry the heaviest load,abeg bone aboki......I respect them

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by AustineE1: 6:59am On Oct 16, 2015
Youths in general have to look inwards and prepare for the challenges ahead and for our Yoruba brothers,its hard time they forget leaving in the past glory,'Awolowo did this,Awolowo did that' etc and face up for the challenges of 21st century.The world is running at a fast pace,it is the survival of the fittest!The era of welfarism is long gone,capitalism is brutal,it favours only those who are hard working....God bless Nigerian youths.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by honourhim: 7:18am On Oct 16, 2015
@op, you are right. Yorubas are lazy. They only like to present Mike Adenuga, Otedola and even Dangote and co (an Hausa mam) to us each time they want to boast of how well they are doing in business while we are talking about our numerous young igbos scattered across the country who are doing small scale, medium scale and large scale enterprises. Yoruba here are even happy that their youths are doing tout jobs of collecting kobo kobo from our traders. You have told them the rruth.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by YUSUPH1986(m): 8:03am On Oct 16, 2015
hinwazaka:
Hogwash. Yorubas are all lazy, their sisters are lazy, their wives are lazy, their sons are lazy, their daughters are lazy, their mothers are lazy, their fathers are lazy, their grandfathers were lazy, their greatgrandfathers were lazy, in fact their entire lineage, past, present and future are lazy, were lazy and will always be lazy. Alongside, their good for nothing cousins, the Hausa/Fulanis, the Yorubitches are the laziest, most good for nothing tribe that ever occupied a region, in the state of Nigeria. Progressive, my foot.
[color=#990000][/color] u ar unrefine. Tame ur togue. U ar a mirrow through wc ur parent can be seen. Thanks

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by homosapien(m): 8:04am On Oct 16, 2015
nnachukz:
Hating your Igbo neighbour, envying every of his business success and being jealous of him and having an extremely bitter mind against him weigh you down and make you lazy. That is the current problem of the yoruba youth today.

I think the current problem is that igbo have a problem. if yoruba youth are lazy please how does that affect the igbo's you claim yoruba are envious and jealous. but the question is what are they envious or jealous of. tell me one achievement of an igbo man and I will list ten yoruba men who achieved same without any fuss of seeking attention.
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Feranchek(m): 8:04am On Oct 16, 2015
FKO81:

Ok

You are very wicked! Just OK for quoting the whole epistle
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 16, 2015
I know it.
All these "igbos respect your host,igbo said Lagos is no man's land" are just camouflage.
this is the crux of the matter .

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by meccuno: 8:42am On Oct 16, 2015
nedu2000:
a hausa man that leaves his wife and family up north to hustle?....if u have a trailer load of cement there's only one set of people capable of offloading your goods with limited fuss,they are ready to polish your shoes,empty your soakaway and carry the heaviest load,abeg bone aboki......I respect them
I admire the Northerners too......but when it comes to their religion, I try as much as possible to avoid them.......

4 Likes

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by meccuno: 8:44am On Oct 16, 2015
homosapien:

I think the current problem is that igbo have a problem. if yoruba youth are lazy please how does that affect the igbo's you claim yoruba are envious and jealous. but the question is what are they envious or jealous of. tell me one achievement of an igbo man and I will list ten yoruba men who achieved same without any fuss of seeking attention.
the proverbial ostrich......hope you don't have sand in your eyes

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by Ebukaobi: 8:53am On Oct 16, 2015
Lalasticlala, Seun, Obinoscopy.

Can you deal with this issue

He keeps breaking NL rules
hinwazaka:
Re: OPINION: Today's Yoruba Youths Are Too Lazy, Egoistic -adeyemi Adeleye by hinwazaka: 8:54am On Oct 16, 2015
YUSUPH1986:
[color=#990000][/color] u ar unrefine. Tame ur togue. U ar a mirrow through wc ur parent can be seen. Thanks
I hope you are respectful to the gateman at your house, because he is the one, who gave you life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Uzo-uwani Leaders Move Against Land Racketeers In Communities / COVID-19: Will Sanwo-olu Be Guilty If He Orders This Man's Arrest? PICS / Before You Blame Anyone For The Gunshots In Aso Rock, Read What Truly Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.