Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Amaechi Splits Senate Panel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi Splits Senate Panel (38674 Views)

Grass-Cutting Scandal: Senate Panel Writes CBN, Demands SGF Firm's BVNs / Presidency Submitted Fake 2016 Budget – Senate Panel. / Ministerial List Splits Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by SmithEnemona(m): 6:51am On Oct 16, 2015
The Senate seems to be finding ministerial nominee Rotimi Amaechi’s case a hard nut to crack.

For the umpteenth time, its Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions could not sit to consider the petition against him, it was learnt yesterday.

But the panel chairman, Senator Samuel Anyanwu, said there was no cause for alarm, dismissing allegations of a crack in their rank.

The panel, sources said, has been unable to write its report because it could not form a quorum.

It has not been able to sit in the past three days despite being asked to hasten action on the petition by Senate President Bukola Saraki.

On Tuesday, Saraki mandated the committee to ensure that its report was ready for consideration on Wednesday.

He asked the committee to speed up after Anyanwu told the Senate that the report was not ready.

But the panel submitted its report on another nominee, Amina Mohammed, who was among the 18 cleared on Wednesday.

The panel could still not submit its report on Amaechi on Wednesday, leading to the dropping of the former Rivers State governor from the list of those screened.

The panel consequently scheduled a meeting for 2pm on Wednesday but only Anyanwu and Senator Obinna Ogba (Ebonyi Central) turned up.

The development has increased talks of a division among members.

Sources said there was a plot to sabotage Amaechi’s screening by some interested parties to orchestrate his withdrawal by President Muhammadu Buhari.

A member of the committee, who did not want his name mentioned, said: “It seems all is not well in our committee. Some of us are not happy about certain things. We cannot just go to a meeting for going sake. But what is happening is not for the media please, I beg you.”

Another member said: “No comment. I am not the spokesman of the committee. Go and meet the chairman if you want any information about the Ethics Committee.”

But Anyanwu, who is worried about the panel’s inability to submit its report, said he had carried every member along.

The Imo State-born lawmaker said he had demonstrated “a high level of openness and transparency in the affairs of the committee”.

He insisted that the committee is not facing a crisis.

There was no indication of when the committee will meet to write its report when the Senate adjourned plenary yesterday.

Saraki also did not mention the petition against Amaechi at the session.

When Amaechi appeared before the committee on October 12, the petition against him could not be considered because of his disclosure that it was a subject of litigation.

The Port Harcourt-based “The Integrity Group” petitioned the Senate asking that Amaechi should not be confirmed as a minister.

The group claimed that Amaechi mismanaged N70 billion of Rivers State funds when he was in office.

Amaechi has long dismissed the claim as part of the orchestrated campaign to smear him.

But the Chairman, Senate Ad-hoc Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Dino Melaye, yesterday raised hope of Amaechi’s screening. He said: “ The committee has a one-line report that the matter is in court and that in compliance with our laid down rules and regulations, any case that is undergoing judicial remedy cannot be discussed.

So, we have distanced ourselves from it. The report will be presented on Tuesday by the grace of God.

“I assure Nigerians that former Governor Rotimi Amaechi by the grace of God, will be screened on Tuesday.”

According to him, the screening and confirmation of the remaining 18 ministerial nominees will hold on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Melaye said: “We are going to screen nine of them on Tuesday and the remaining nine on Wednesday.

“The confirmation of all the nominees will be taken on Wednesday.”

There is another petition against another nominee – Mrs Aisha Abubakar from Sokoto State.

Senator Ibrahim Gobir (Sokoto East) laid the petition against Mrs. Abubakar on the table for consideration.

The petitioner’s demanding her replacement with “a more competent person.”

The nominee, according to him, hails from the same local government with Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal. The Senate referred the petition to its Ethics Committee.

Also yesterday, Saraki wrote President Muhammadu Buhari on the Senate’s confirmation of 18 nominees who were on the list sent to the upper chamber on September 30.

In a letter sent through Senator Ita Enang, Senior Special Assistant to the President on legislative matters (Senate), Saraki told the President that the Senate found the 18 nominees worthy to be ministers as provided for in Section 147 (2) of the 1999 Constitution as amended.

The ministers-designate are Senator Udoma Udo Udoma, Dr. John Kayode Fayemi, Chief Audu Innocent Ogbeh, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Bello Danbazzau, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, Hajiya Amina Ibrahim Mohammed, Suleiman Adamu, Alhaji Ibrahim Usman Jibril, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN), Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, Abubakar Malami (SAN), Senator Chris Nwabueze Ngige, Senator Aishat Jummai Al-Hassan, Mr. Solomon Dalong, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun and Senator Hadi Sirika.

http://thenationonlineng.net/amaechi-splits-senate-panel/

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by abitex577(m): 6:55am On Oct 16, 2015
What else do you expect, when we have a political class that have no values, a people that stand for nothing and everything.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by DONSMITH123(m): 6:57am On Oct 16, 2015
Amaechi the Don grin

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by ikaboy: 6:58am On Oct 16, 2015
Hmm
Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by Mologi(m): 7:01am On Oct 16, 2015
Amaechi....who knows tomorrow....
Your own type of nightmare that u make ur enemy go through is baad.

16 Likes

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by OnankpaBa(m): 7:02am On Oct 16, 2015
I saw it coming grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by oluwaSmith1(f): 7:03am On Oct 16, 2015
grin
Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by Creamz(m): 7:08am On Oct 16, 2015
He will eventually be screened so why not just spare Nigerians the whole drama. And let's move on to how we can make our Economy better

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by mykemiley(f): 7:09am On Oct 16, 2015
All diz ones na plenti talk.....NOISE

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by tobisco29(m): 7:38am On Oct 16, 2015
nothing to say
Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 16, 2015
When finally Amechi is screened and confirmed, the PDP kids on this forum will learn to face their lives and make something out of it cos politicians are the same; they look out for one another. They have one enemy; the masses, irrespective of wether they in the same party or not.

Bellfun:

They won't!...a Wailer must always have an excuse to wail!...na everyday wailing na!...let them continue!

My statement cuts across board, including you that term another a 'wailer'. All of you are in the same league.

If you don't wail in a democracy, you are giving room for dictatorship. The Save Nigeria Group wailed to save us from Yar'adua and his cabal. The APC wailed to save us from GEJ and his band of kleptomaniacs. The PDP is now wailing to save us from Buhari and his one-man-know-all government.

94 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by AINATOLULOPE: 7:47am On Oct 16, 2015
I don't know ABC. BUT, I know Amaechi will be screened and confirmed.

Quote Me Anywhere tongue

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by Firefire(m): 7:48am On Oct 16, 2015
Our beloved Rotimi Amaechi, we know you are a looter, your day of stoning is coming.

However, never mind the noises, we know the dullard is as corrupt as you, reason he nominated you as a Minister, you will surely be cleared.

Congrats as you enjoy your loots...

Sorry to the jobless, under-employed and deprived fellow supporting our common criminals.

49 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by wildchild1: 7:48am On Oct 16, 2015
The slayer of Jonathan himself grin

in other news,order your football jerseys
https://www.nairaland.com/2447345/2015-2016-new-jerseys-available/0

4 Likes

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by priscaoge(f): 7:48am On Oct 16, 2015
A member of the committee, who did not want his name mentioned, said: “It seems all is not well in our committee. Some of us are not happy about certain things. We cannot just go to a meeting for going sake. But what is happening is not for the media please, I beg you.”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by Sunexy(m): 7:49am On Oct 16, 2015
mayannnapp:

Turn A One Time Investment Of
N1,500 Into N2,000,000 In Just
Three Months.... please inbox me
for more info or email me @
samejabofu@gmail.com or call me at
- 09034725973 OR 07016498613 Our
aim is to make nigeria
a better
place, we do not believe in fraud or
scam so if you are involve in it
dont just bother to contact us.... thanks. or add me on facebuk @ samson pein
angry
Are u a money doubler pls??
Call me if u are.....08032567773
wink
Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by saintkel(m): 7:49am On Oct 16, 2015
Amaechi and d aftermath of governing rivers
Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by shiinihost: 7:50am On Oct 16, 2015
Anyanwu is obviously working for wike, his PDP mate. But Amaechi is stronger.

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by Caliph69: 7:52am On Oct 16, 2015
Its unfortunate that in spite the allegations leveled against him, EFCC has not made any move. Besides, if the president is sincere about this anti-corruption, why not ask Amaechi to go clear his name, after which he will be cleared by the senate (if not guilty). After all, ministerial positions still plenty...and 2019 is still a long way to go.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by lilslick(m): 7:52am On Oct 16, 2015
we all know the final story

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by frank442: 7:52am On Oct 16, 2015
I love this man

Pls give him chance
He has a lot to offer
Rotimi go on
You have our support

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by Abayhormy(m): 7:52am On Oct 16, 2015
Ameachi my man, you will prevail.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by osabiya16(m): 7:53am On Oct 16, 2015
Happy

Birthday

To

Me....................

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by iamosamede55: 7:54am On Oct 16, 2015
supporting our common criminals.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by masquellett(m): 7:54am On Oct 16, 2015
why?
Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by AbuMikey(m): 7:55am On Oct 16, 2015
Is that so?
Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by salawustyles(m): 7:55am On Oct 16, 2015
that may not be the wisest thing to do anyways sha nah im sabi
Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by Dcardinal(m): 7:55am On Oct 16, 2015
Re: Amaechi Splits Senate Panel by acunon: 7:56am On Oct 16, 2015
This Amechi's case is getting serious day by day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP North West Mega Rally (Live Photos) / Surgery: Nnamdi Iro Oji Visits Orji Uzor Kalu In Germany (photos) / Open Letter To Jagaban Of Borgu .... By Femi Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.