Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,933 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Adams Must Be Crazy (A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Adams Must Be Crazy (A Short Story) (729 Views)

A Little Bit Crazy (A Young Man Tales). / Driving Me Crazy (A Short Romantic Story) / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adams Must Be Crazy (A Short Story) by sidophilic: 3:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
Thanks nairalanders for reading those short stories all along.
Why not me?
A cold day in hell

and finally.............

Another issue based short story from sidophilic

ADAMS MUST BE CRAZY

The title is weird just like others right? Don't mind me. It's part of the training

sit back and enjoy as usual

Synopsis
He is the most foolish man on the planet. He thought he was protecting himself. He thought he was putting things in order. Too bad he would eventually lose everything. Tick tock, that's the sound of the clock. That's the countdown to his last breath which would come soonest. I gain everything, he lost all. Indeed, if the cheeks of an animal doesn't get shattered, that of men might not get chubby.
My thoughts though. I might be wrong
Re: Adams Must Be Crazy (A Short Story) by sidophilic: 5:12pm On Oct 16, 2015
Adams Must Be Crazy
If there is a contest amongst fools on the planet, Adams would rank as one of the best, if not the best. I tag him the world's finest fool. Maybe he is not just foolish, he might just be a mad man with a benevolent spirit.
Some attributes are intrinsic properties of one's makeup, just like a goat's skin, it never changes. He has been like that since our primary school days at Nnewi. So, his recent feat is no surprise as far as I'm concerned. Why he was willing to loose everything for his supposed family and my sake is the real surprise.
Those moments were too extraordinary to be forgotten so soon. It happened immediately after the closing prayer. I have prayed silently after the break till the bell went for the end of the day' s work that the damage should go unnoticed. I do not even know what to wish for after the sound that confirmed the crack graced each of our tympanum. I do not know if I wished 'Nonsense' should go blind, or he should just pretend nothing happened, even if he saw it. I received the through-pass which left me with the goal keeper. To make the goal a fantastic one, I closed my eyes before taking the shot. The ball passed through the goalkeeper's harmpit as he dived to stop the shot. The next sound we all heard was that of the shattering brake light of 'Nonsense's' motorcycle. My mind went straight to the few of the encounters I've previously had with Mr. Japheth.
My dad would always have his way on any issue that concerns the affairs of his children, regardless of what the entire village thinks. It was the end of the third term break and I was returning to Nnewi from Onitsha with my uncle. We were attacked on our way back, making the journey more difficult than it was initially. The lorry that conveyed us from Onitsha broke down several times before we eventually got robbed. So, that journey was about the most stressful I've had in my entire life. The story did not matter to my dad as he dragged me out of bed against my mother's will the following day - The first day of the term. I got to school late and I regret ever going to school that day. Mr. Japhet, otherwise called ' Nonsense' (owing to the frequency with which he uses the word) gave me the beating of my life. Isn't it surprising that our school is one of those few schools where students don't come late?
It would have been reasonable to me if he had never been dealt with by 'Nonsense'. In fact, I was an eye witness the day he was beaten alongside Nwafo and Ugbade after the morning devotion for breaking into the school farm. Even though, he was not guilty of the offence, but that does not rule out the fact that each halves of his buttocks would not pray for such unfortunate occurrence again.
I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the voice directly from my back. I thought that voice was nothing but that of a demon I've always imagined after grandma had told me the story of Nnena and the evil spirit.I
Re: Adams Must Be Crazy (A Short Story) by sidophilic: 10:17pm On Oct 16, 2015
I turned my head at an angle slightly below a hundred and eighty, lo and behold! My friend had taken responsibility. It was Adams raising his hand - a response to Mr. Japhet's question. He took some strokes of the cane but there was something weird going on within me as he laid on 'Nonsense's' table with his buttocks facing the thatched roof. I never felt sorry for him. Being the best in the class, his punishment was not as severe as earlier anticipated.
Of course, there was a reason I could attribute to Adam's kindness to me on that day. He loves his mother darely and there was a time his father traveled for a long time and his mother fell sick. He lives with his mother and his sisters in their mud house which stood directly beside our house, so my parents were the closest adult to his family then. My mum was instrumental to his mum's recovery from a disease that could have claimed her life. It was my mum that convinced my dad to foot the bill that was later paid back on his dad's arrival. If he had done that back then for that reason, then I call that pay back, but what do we call his most recent feat if not foolishness. Do I really need to blame him? I have made him believe the unrealistic.
I couldn't help laughing out loud after watching the Minister speak with the journalists. 'Almost all government owned hospitals have been filled with drugs and moreso, we have equipped all our hospitals in the federation with mosquito nets for the protection of the patients and with the level of awareness which of course is unprecedented, we are confident that this administration would get rid of Malaria before the next quarter.' He had boasted on NTA (Nigeria Television Authority) in his white 'agbada' which is expensive enough to set up a tailoring shop. If all Nigerians know the truth of what he took those few minutes to say, they would storm that television station and beat the hell out of his pot belly. Of course, I could laugh because I work in that ministry and I knew the quality of the net we procured. We awarded the contract to one of his mistresses and it only took less stress before we got our cut. Adams was brought into the deal, being the permanent secretary in the ministry of health but he diplomatically bowed out. Would you blame me again if I say that is another act of foolishness on his part. Who in his right senses would forgo eight million naira all in the name of patriotism?
Re: Adams Must Be Crazy (A Short Story) by sidophilic: 1:50pm On Oct 17, 2015
'This is the tax payers' money. We really need to be careful with the way we spend this kind of money. We owe that common man on the street a level of loyalty. Look, whatever comes out of this, you are on your own.' He said that day and I felt sorry for him. I wish I was in his shoes. I wish I was the permanent secretary.
Adams is my boss in the ministry of health where I head the accounting department. I have always struggled every working day to accept what fate had thrown into my arms. Adams is one man whose fate is intertwined with mine. He had always been the first at school and now, at work he is first again. I have tried so hard to accept that things were meant to be that way but I couldn't help it. Although we never get to attend the same university, I still hate him for his exploit in his Alma mater. I wasn't the best in my university days but he emerged as the best graduating student in the entire university and truth be told I wasn't happy with that. He had always been up there while I trail. He always get whatever I long for on the platter of gold. I always end up playing a second fiddle to Adams and I more than hate that, but what can I do.
I can accept every other defeat but the last straw that broke the camel's back is something I wasn't ready to forgive. I met her first, but she ended up taking the ring from Adams. It was shortly before passing out from the National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) in Kogi state. We both coincidentally served in the same state. It was precisely on the last CDS (Community Development Service) day, We were about hiring a motorbike when the rain started. We offered to wait for the rain to subside by staying at the covered verandah of the closest building. Coincidentally, we met this young lady corper who was equally waiting there before we arrived. I started a conversation with her and in no time the three of us began to talk. I can't still understand where Adams, who does not give a damn about girls, got the motivation to collect her phone number. I thought it was a joke at the beginning, but it only took weeks before I realised Adams is for real. Of course, I was a womaniser (I don't really know if that has changed) and all the natural endowment at the front and back were all I was interested in the moment I saw Regina, but since my friend has logged in with full force, there is nothing I can do. I never for once forgave Adams for taking what I should have taken. I never knew the hatred I had for him had grown up to the level it is untill his wedding day. I sure made a terrible best man.
Re: Adams Must Be Crazy (A Short Story) by sidophilic: 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2015
pls, comment as you read.

(1) (Reply)

Comunication Mishap 2 / How Do You See Me? / Roy Repents!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.