Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,840 members, 7,806,360 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

What's The Meaning Of And When To Use The Word 'Pe Se'. important please - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Meaning Of And When To Use The Word 'Pe Se'. important please (721 Views)

Mention One Abbreviation You Still Don't Know The Meaning / Type The Longest Word You Know And The Meaning / The Meaning Of Recently Found Word "Demonym" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Meaning Of And When To Use The Word 'Pe Se'. important please by speeder(m): 9:24am On Oct 18, 2015
I've read through many books and the word(s) 'pe se' has been recurrent. I quite know it might not be an English word like etc, i.e. But when u meet this word in a sentence, the meaning is understandable.
I'm posting this because I got into an argument with my friend and he refuted it by saying it's 'per se'. I feel angered because he's not a reader. He went as far as convincing some that that's the way it should be. Me, a reader. I've read Italian, English etc novels and various articles and what I see there is 'pe se'
Now if u check Google, you'll most likely see 'per se'. But the meaning it's giving is quite different from what it should be. Only one site was able to answer it partially, but it added an 'a' to it, 'pe se a'. And in the site it's etymology is Spanish.

Nairalanders, please give me a face. I can't let him confuse them when actually he's wrong. Please help me out. After the church service he's coming on board to discuss the matter.

Help me out. Front page will be nice.
Re: What's The Meaning Of And When To Use The Word 'Pe Se'. important please by nobilis: 10:20am On Oct 18, 2015
Does Nairaland look like Google to you?
Something you would have just typed into Google search, you had to open a thread for it
Na wa to you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Meaning Of And When To Use The Word 'Pe Se'. important please by joviegghead: 12:15pm On Oct 18, 2015
I don't really know ur motive for doing this.. Maybe u're simply just a desperate dude trying to make front page ahead of ur friend for a reason best known to both of u.. Or maybe ur argument and concern is really genuine... But,u didn't still explain all about this 'pe se' stuff.. Honestly,to me u don't deserve FP,cuz...hmmm...whatever. But,with benefit of doubt,i MIGHT(big and mighty 'MIGHT') allow it make FP.. But,sorry,I'm just like u and everyone on nairaland..
Re: What's The Meaning Of And When To Use The Word 'Pe Se'. important please by speeder(m): 7:16pm On Oct 18, 2015
nobilis:
Does Nairaland look like Google to you?
Something you would have just typed into Google search, you had to open a thread for it
Na wa to you.

If u had read through my write-up, you would have known I searched Google already. It didn't answer me well.
Re: What's The Meaning Of And When To Use The Word 'Pe Se'. important please by speeder(m): 7:45pm On Oct 18, 2015
joviegghead:
I don't really know ur motive for doing this.. Maybe u're simply just a desperate dude trying to make front page ahead of ur friend for a reason best known to both of u.. Or maybe ur argument and concern is really genuine... But,u didn't still explain all about this 'pe se' stuff.. Honestly,to me u don't deserve FP,cuz...hmmm...whatever. But,with benefit of doubt,i MIGHT(big and mighty 'MIGHT') allow it make FP.. But,sorry,I'm just like u and everyone on nairaland..

Sorry dude. My primary aim wasn't fb.
Re: What's The Meaning Of And When To Use The Word 'Pe Se'. important please by Nobody: 12:15am On Oct 19, 2015
speeder:

If u had read through my write-up, you would have known I searched Google already. It didn't answer me well.
Learn how to Google.

This is Latin and means "in itself" or "with reference to itself"; in other words you're talking specifically about the subject in question and not about things related to the subject.
Usage:
"Guns aren't dangerous, per se, however some of the gun
owners are."

Adverb
per se (not comparable )
1. By itself; without consideration of extraneous factors .
Eg:
The law makes drunk driving illegal per se.

2. (chiefly in negative polarity environments) As such ; as one would expect from the name.
Eg:
Well, that's not correct per se, but the situation is
something like that.

3. (law) As a matter of law.
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/per_se
Re: What's The Meaning Of And When To Use The Word 'Pe Se'. important please by speeder(m): 11:14am On Oct 19, 2015
Karmanaut:

Learn how to Google.

This is Latin and means "in itself" or "with reference to itself"; in other words you're talking specifically about the subject in question and not about things related to the subject.
Usage:
"Guns aren't dangerous, per se, however some of the gun
owners are."

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/per_se

Thank You very much. I really appreciate.
I know how to Google. I just thought the word was 'pe se'. Thanks again

(1) (Reply)

How can i blow dis year / DELSU Postgraduate Admission Form 2015/2016 Is Out / Rihanna Lookalike Sort Of Similar To My Washer A Little Too!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.