Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,590 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? (5258 Views)

Why Do Nigerians And South Africans Engage In E-fights / The Way British, Americans And Nigerians Woo A Girl (photo) / What Is It With Nigerians And Their Obsession With South Africa And Ghana? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by darkskingoddess(f): 1:14am On Oct 19, 2015
Is the cultural barrier too problematic in such a relationship?

Should each stick to their own?

Have you/would you consider dating or marrying an African American (akata)?

I'd like to hear thoughts on this topic. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Nobody: 1:37am On Oct 19, 2015
It works well but both sides need to drop dated and irrelevant traditions and adopt ones that allow the relationship to blossom to its full nature.

I have more than a handful of friends dating and married to African-Americans and it has worked well for most. First thing to address.

1: Credit Culture - Thank Heavens for the Financial Crisis which caused banks in Nigeria to collapse.. the Credit culture was already eating into the Nigerian long-held tradition that you do not live your life on borrowed money - you live on what you earn. The first thing i usually hear is that there are soooo many bills and mortgages to pay.. the burden of dating an African-American.

2: Sex is over-rated: In Nigeria.. not having sex is a recipe for disaster.. it is what confirms a relationship is still on track, it is Spiritual and it is Hallowed.. for Yankee you can get sex at the cost of the thought alone.. it means nothing. literally. what is important are the moments and time spent together as a couple and gifts too

3: Parents are often into your business in Nigeria.. there is very little influence of Parents when dating an African American, yea they have their own opinions, but they cannot tell you to kick your wife or girl-friend out of the house because she looks like an olosho or cannot bear kids

There is more but i gats to sleep

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by IGLE25(m): 1:55am On Oct 19, 2015
Run for your life o.... Akata na big problem o... They don't reason the way the real blacks reason...

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by darkskingoddess(f): 2:03am On Oct 19, 2015
IGLE25:
Run for your life o.... Akata na big problem o... They don't reason the way the real blacks reason...

All African Americans have the same mentality?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by IGLE25(m): 2:12am On Oct 19, 2015
Majority.... I have been there and seen it myself...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Nobody: 2:35am On Oct 19, 2015
If I hadn't married a home lady, I would have gone completely for a white woman. I don't do AKATA, they are terrible set of people. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by IamLEGEND1: 6:46am On Oct 19, 2015
it actually works quite well if you happened to meet an honest-to-God,nigerian guy.

but the truth is,they aren't many of them actively seeking to marry an African-American, even if they aren't against it. You just have to chance upon one.

a few cultural differences might make for some really awkward moments,naturally.

except of coz if you date a totally archaic, no-nonsense brother who expects you to do things like kneeling when serving his food or greeting him in the morning. cheesy

in the end though,we've got real stand-up guys......who will cherish what you have together and not for any superficial or materialistic reason......something genuine.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by quickly: 6:09pm On Oct 19, 2015
It depends on the 2 ppl.

AA women different from nigerian women.

A nigerian man is more used to a submissive woman in d traditional sense while african American wants to be a feminist and get 50-50 even though they bring 20% to d table

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 19, 2015
IGLE25:
hahahhahaha ... You sound so much like my friend... although shes a lady.. .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by IGLE25(m): 2:18am On Oct 20, 2015
Like seriously Bro they are problem... Pray to meet the good ones... I jst don't wanna narrate my experience and of others I know...
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 20, 2015
I believe there are such unions that have thrived for years.

However, I think it work better if either of the partners want to or choose to drop or obliterate his/her own culture to absorb the partner's.

Isn't the term 'Akata' derogatory?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by scribble: 2:12am On Oct 21, 2015
Booked
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Nobody: 3:01am On Oct 21, 2015
Here to rate comment cheesy

Btw wetin be akara angry
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Lucasbalo(m): 6:10am On Oct 21, 2015
darkskingoddess:

Yes it can work. I have seen marriages of 20, 30 years plus between Nigerians and African Americans here in Chicago. It depends on the couple.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 21, 2015
my cousin did and it has been beautiful for them and stuff, I might if I finally meet one with decent moral values and.......

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by TmeD0(m): 8:16am On Oct 21, 2015
look, majority of akata chicks wahala too much, period. bottom line, dem no send you.

it's like dem be totally different species entirely when it comes to their reasoning...you have to know how to play their games.

just pray you meet a good one that's well-rounded. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Lucasbalo(m): 5:24am On Oct 23, 2015
TmeD0:
look, majority of akata chicks wahala too much, period. bottom line, dem no send you.

it's like dem be totally different species entirely when it comes to their reasoning...you have to know how to play their games.

just pray you meet a good one that's well-rounded. grin
You think African American woman is bad, wait till you marry a Nigerian woman in US and you will know Jezebel is still alive. I live here and I know.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by dunah(m): 7:01am On Oct 23, 2015
Most of them are low esteemed, they always afraid you gonna leave them for our Nigerian girls and that makes them suspicious of every move we make. Am talking from my own experience though.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by cold(m): 7:39am On Oct 23, 2015
9jacrip:
I believe there are such unions that have thrived for years.

However, I think it work better if either of the partners want to or choose to drop or obliterate his/her own culture to absorb the partner's.

Isn't the term 'Akata' derogatory?
No,it isn't.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 23, 2015
cold:

No,it isn't.

Oh, I didn't know that.
I thought it was a derogatoty term Africans tagged A.Americans with.
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by cold(m): 8:44am On Oct 23, 2015
9jacrip:

Oh, I didn't know that.
I thought it was a derogatoty term Africans tagged A.Americans with.
Nope,it's just another piggin slang for AAs like oyinbo for caucasians.
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 23, 2015
cold:

Nope,it's just another piggin slang for AAs like oyinbo for caucasians.

I know that.

By being derogatory I was not referring to its etymology rather I meant it has been classed/used as a derogatory term.
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by cold(m): 2:16pm On Oct 23, 2015
9jacrip:

I know that.

By being derogatory I was not referring to its etymology rather I meant it has been classed/used as a derogatory term.
I know what derogatory means and i don't see it as such. Well at least not when i use the term.
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Histrings08(m): 2:31pm On Oct 23, 2015
Our girls are beautiful enof why do I av to go ND put myself in anoda trouble....
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by darkskingoddess(f): 3:21pm On Oct 23, 2015
"Terrible set of people"
"Bad"
"Big problem"
"Low esteem"
"Trouble"
"Suspicious"

I posted this originally with open mind and heart, but I must say, many of these comments about AAs are disheartening.
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 23, 2015
Judging from my personal experience.

The probability af the relationship working like every other relationship increases when it is that the parties involved inhabit the same loci. I mean , having the man you're engaged to living in Nigeria while U stay in the US is too challenging to ignore.

Fukc cultural differences

Fukc even the religion barriers

Leslie and Nancy got the nuptial knot tied. Its all about love baaby! cheesy
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by RaDaZaBaNa(m): 8:07pm On Oct 26, 2015
darkskingoddess:

it is very possible
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by SylarsMcQuins: 10:04pm On Oct 26, 2015
darkskingoddess:
"Terrible set of people"
"Bad"
"Big problem"
"Low esteem"
"Trouble"
"Suspicious"

I posted this originally with open mind and heart, but I must say, many of these comments about AAs are disheartening.

So Miss Akata, where in the States u at?
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by darkskingoddess(f): 10:23pm On Oct 26, 2015
SylarsMcQuins:

So Miss Akata, where in the States u at?

Why? Lol
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by SylarsMcQuins: 10:58pm On Oct 26, 2015
darkskingoddess:

Why? Lol

Lol, wana knw you better I guess. Aint in the States though.
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by 2dice(m): 11:02pm On Oct 26, 2015
Adam marry Eve
Pls where is Eve from??
Marriage
Music
Water
Land etc has no Barrier
Re: Nigerians And African Americans Dating-- Can It Work? by Lucasbalo(m): 1:18am On Oct 27, 2015
9jacrip:

I know that.

Akata was and is still derogatory. You are right.

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why Nigerian Women Love To Give Blow Jobs / See This Sexy Hot Ghanaian Lady In A Transparent Short Gown / Pls Help a Nairalander to Win This Competition (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.