Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,930 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress (36091 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Is God Unfair To Those Raised In Other Faiths? Muslim View Point / Keys For A Happy Marriage- A Christain Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by origina9ja(f): 3:17pm On Apr 30, 2009
What your veiw about this
would you ever consider it,

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by TOYOSI20(f): 3:28pm On Apr 30, 2009
What's wrong wid long hair?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 4:23pm On May 01, 2009
Essence of real beauty is simplicity of the looks without any artificialities
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Body piercing - Hell No (both for men and women)

Ear rings - Hell No (for men)

Ear rings - Yes (for women)

Tattoos - Hell No (both for men and women)

Long Hair - Yes (for women most especially if natural)

Long Hair - Maybe Yes (for men if natural)
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by bawomolo(m): 5:50pm On May 01, 2009
I thought Christians weren't bound by Old Testament laws for jews?
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by JeSoul(f): 6:07pm On May 01, 2009
bawomolo:

I thought Christians weren't bound by Old Testament laws for jews?

You thought right. We aren't.

No2Atheism:

Essence of real beauty is simplicity of the looks without any artificialities
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Body piercing - Hell No (both for men and women)

Ear rings - Hell No (for men)

Ear rings - Yes (for women)

Tattoos - Hell No (both for men and women)

Long Hair - Yes (for women most especially if natural)

Long Hair - Maybe Yes (for men if natural)
Oga Sys, I trust it should be no trouble to show the verses that enabled you to arrive at the above conclusions.

@Topic,
      The bible says that "not everything that is permissible is beneficial". Now while tatoos and piercings etc may not be a sin, usually they are not beneficial to the person. The bible teaches us to be modest and simple and not give anyone the chance to speak evil of us. In this light I would say it is better for a christian to avoid tatoos and piercings BUT are they sinful? No.

I personally don't mind tatoos and piercings . . . when moderate not like the above ojujus and co that would be a metal-detectors' worst nightmare.
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by Angolobabe(f): 6:14pm On May 01, 2009
well, the bible says in the book of LEVITICUS 19-27 and 28

verse 27, Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

verse 28, Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves.I am the LORD.
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by JeSoul(f): 6:20pm On May 01, 2009
Why only quote Lev 19:27-28? 
what about verses 1-26?
and Lev chapters 1-18? and chapters 19-27?

There are so many commands in Leviticus, why only pick out the one on tatoos to follow and quote?

We are no longer under the Law, but under grace.
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by toneyb: 6:31pm On May 01, 2009
JeSoul:

Why only quote Lev 19:27-28? 
what about verses 1-26?
and Lev chapters 1-18? and chapters 19-27?

There are so many commands in Leviticus, why only pick out the one on tatoos to follow and quote?

We are no longer under the Law, but under grace.

Are lying, stealing and killing not also under the law? should Christians continue to lie, steal and kill because they are no longer under the law?
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by JeSoul(f): 7:56pm On May 01, 2009
toneyb:

Are lying, stealing and killing not also under the law? should Christians continue to lie, steal and kill because they are no longer under the law?

Yes they are. BUT those commands are repeated and taught everywhere in the NEW TESTAMENT hence they are still valid.

Are you going to answer why you don't follow the[b] other commands in the Law[/b]?
-why do you shave your beard?
-why do you work or do anything at all on the Sabbath?
-why do you wear clothing made of two kinds of material?
-why don't you offer sacrifices when you're unclean?

why only pick out the law about tatoos to follow?

1 Like

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 7:55pm On May 07, 2009
JeSoul:

You thought right. We aren't.

Oga Sys, I trust it should be no trouble to show the verses that enabled you to arrive at the above conclusions.

@Topic,
      The bible says that "not everything that is permissible is beneficial". Now while tatoos and piercings etc may not be a sin, usually they are not beneficial to the person. The bible teaches us to be modest and simple and not give anyone the chance to speak evil of us. In this light I would say it is better for a christian to avoid tatoos and piercings BUT are they sinful? No.

I personally don't mind tatoos and piercings . . . when moderate not like the above ojujus and co that would be a metal-detectors' worst nightmare.

I have no bible verses to back up my listed points, instead they are personal preferences and experiences of life based on my understanding of the bible in terms of something being lawful yet not beneficial to a bible believer, hence my personal preferences could be wrong so i stand to be corrected.
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 7:58pm On May 07, 2009
@angolobabe interesting, i never knew verses like LEVITICUS 19-27 and 28 existed, I always had serious concentration problem going through the law books of the old testament
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by Bastage: 8:34pm On May 07, 2009
I've pointed this out elsewhere but the tattoo laws in Leviticus don't really apply to the sort of tattoos we're talking about here.

In the time of the ancient Hebrews it was common practice for pagans to tattoo the bodies of their dead with the symbols of their gods. Since the Hebrews were only supposed to worship one god it was just common sense for this to be included in their law.

It has nothing to do with modern day art of tattooing - that is unless you're thinking of tattooing an image of a pagan god upon your body!!!
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 9:07pm On May 07, 2009
Bastage:

I've pointed this out elsewhere but the tattoo laws in Leviticus don't really apply to the sort of tattoos we're talking about here.

In the time of the ancient Hebrews it was common practice for pagans to tattoo the bodies of their dead with the symbols of their gods. Since the Hebrews were only supposed to worship one god it was just common sense for this to be included in their law.

It has nothing to do with modern day art of tattooing - that is unless you're thinking of tattooing an image of a pagan god upon your body!!!

How do you know the image of a pagan god, e.g All seeing eye on the american dollar is actually a pagan image., yet i would not be suprised if some ignorant people use it as part of tattoo.

Hence its better to be save than sorry, hence the reason why the bible says that even if something is lawful, it still does not mean its beneficial i.e. even though there may not be a law against tattoo yet it offers no spiritual benefit to the person doing at the same time there is high chance of it offering spiritual sideeffects,
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by Bastage: 9:25pm On May 07, 2009
I would suggest that tattooing something like the All Seeing Eye is not a problem.
Tattooing an image of an idol that you worship would be the problem. That is what the Leviticus passage refers to.
It's like these girls who get little tattoos of devils and imps - they're not Satanists. The tattoo is merely art.
This is not banned in Leviticus.

The law was bought in to keep the Hebrews following their god. It was created to stop them from reverting back to pagan worship. Tattooing images on one's body today does not mean that one is going to go off and worship a pagan idol.

Laws have to be looked at in their context. The Leviticus tattoo law is no exception.
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 9:35pm On May 07, 2009
No2Atheism:

How do you know the image of a pagan god, e.g All seeing eye on the american dollar is actually a pagan image., yet i would not be suprised if some ignorant people use it as part of tattoo.

Hence its better to be save than sorry, hence the reason why the bible says that even if something is lawful, it still does not mean its beneficial i.e. even though there may not be a law against tattoo yet it offers no spiritual benefit to the person doing at the same time there is high chance of it offering spiritual sideeffects, 

The all seeing eye : is the representation of the egyptian god "osiris" the same god being worshipped by illuminati and freemasons (hence part of the reason to know that illuminatis and freemasons control the united states of america and hence the world at large), hence anyone who ignorantly uses such a tatoo is ignorantly connecting himself to the worship of osiris end of story.

Salvation does not depend on whether one Tattoos or not, salvation has nothing to do with works, hence whether or not we tatoo does not determine whether or not we are saved. However tatooing or not tattooing is an evidence of fruit bearing in someone who understands scriptures.

One can be saved and still not bear any fruit, hence why it is possible for a tatooed person to be saved.

Not-tattoing is a sign of the understanding of scriptures and hence a fruit of being saved.

There are certain things saved people can do that would cause another person not to get saved, or, cause the other person to ignorantly fall into the[b]occults[/b], the culture of tatooing is one of those things and ways that others can be lead astray.
The bible says that there are certain things which if we do, it does not affect our salvation, however at the same time those same things affect the salvation of other people. Hence why it is required for us not to do things that might cause others to fall into sin,

Tatooing does not glorify the creator, hence why should it be done by a bible believer in the first place.
Tatooing is all about glorifying self,
Tatooing has the inherent danger of falling into the practice of occults even without knowing it.

Tatooing is one of those things which , when done by a so called mature bible believer can cause an immatured bible believer to fall into the trap of occultic practices and hence into sin.

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by Bastage: 10:02pm On May 07, 2009
No2Atheism:

The all seeing eye : is the representation of the egyptian god "osiris" the same god being worshipped by illuminati and freemasons (hence part of the reason to know that illuminatis and freemasons control the united states of america and hence the world at large), hence anyone who ignorantly uses such a tatoo is ignorantly connecting himself to the worship of osiris end of story.

First thing: the above is just conspiracy bullshit. The Illuminati does not exist and the Freemasons do not worship the All Seeing Eye.
The image itself may have originated with the Egyptians but it has also been used many times in Christianity - particularly during the Renaissance. It was used to depict the Trinity. So actually, the All Seeing Eye is a symbol that was adopted by Christianity. Hence anyone who burbles on about worshipping Osiris and Freemasons and Illuminati running the world is just talking crap. End of story.

Tatooing does not glorify the creator, hence why should it be done by a bible believer in the first place.
Tatooing is all about glorifying self,
Tatooing has the inherent danger of falling into the practice of occults even without knowing it.

There is plenty that Christians do that doesn't glorify the creator. Every single day there are a multiple of instances. Unless you're a monk, it's probably safer that you stay in bed and don't get up at all.
As for falling into the practice of an occult without even knowing it? That's pretty damn laughable. If you worship the Christian god, you worship the Christian god. If you worship the Islamic god, you worship the Islamic god. If you worship the Hindu, etc. You can't worship the Christian god and be a Hindu.
Your statement is illogical and laughable.

Tatooing is one of those things which , when done by a so called mature bible believer can cause an immatured bible believer to fall into the trap of occultic practices and hence into sin.

Instances? How many people do you know who have tattoos? How many of them are practicing Satanists?

I personally don't like tattoos. I don't have one and have no intention of getting one. And I would be pretty annoyed if my kids got one. I believe that too often the tattoo is of poor quality and also with time, fades to look bad on the skin. But to use a forgotten, irrelevant law and a load of mumbo jumbo that has no basis in Christianity to condemn it is ignorant.
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by Owen2(m): 1:51pm On Jun 29, 2009
@Bastage

The illuminati does not exist?are u saying that their existence is entirely beyond the realm of possibilities?
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by Lady2(f): 2:59am On Jun 30, 2009
The Illuminati does not exist and the Freemasons do not worship the All Seeing Eye.

This is true. But I have a feeling the illuminati will be having a comeback.
Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 4:01am On Jun 30, 2009
Bastage:

First thing: the above is just conspiracy bullshit. The Illuminati does not exist and the Freemasons do not worship the All Seeing Eye.
The image itself may have originated with the Egyptians but it has also been used many times in Christianity - particularly during the Renaissance. It was used to depict the Trinity. So actually, the All Seeing Eye is a symbol that was adopted by Christianity. Hence anyone who burbles on about worshipping Osiris and Freemasons and Illuminati running the world is just talking crap. End of story.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked 

- So u are saying because it has been used before hence it means it is no occultic, wow wish someone reminded Moses about that wen the same images were being used in ancient Egypt.

- did the Bible ask the church to have symbols to represent anything in heaven - no

- Are u trying to say the the Renaissance is the time of holiness and purity or something cus i don't understand why ur usage of that period as a reference is proof for anything.

- hence because some churches (like the Celestial Church of Christ and Catholics) use the "All Seeing Eye" symbols is not a confirmation that its is biblical.

- The bible clearly shows in the 2nd commandment that no representation of anything heavenly should be made in a form of any image on heart.

- U really have to be the most gullible human being on heart if u think the following items: "Statue of Liberty, Erect Penis (Washington Monument), and Pyramid in Egypt, Pyramid on the US Dollar, Bohemian Grove connection, Owl on the US Dollar, All Seeing Eye on the US Dollar, Freemasons, Illuminatie symbols" do not have anything to do with the occult.

There is plenty that Christians do that doesn't glorify the creator. Every single day there are a multiple of instances. Unless you're a monk, it's probably safer that you stay in bed and don't get up at all.
As for falling into the practice of an occult without even knowing it? That's pretty damn laughable. If you worship the Christian god, you worship the Christian god. If you worship the Islamic god, you worship the Islamic god. If you worship the Hindu, etc. You can't worship the Christian god and be a Hindu.
Your statement is illogical and laughable.

- Presence and prevalence of sin or occult practices is not justification for its correctness. If it is sin , it is sin no two ways about it.
- If the Bible condemns it, then it is sin whether or not some christians practise it or not is irrelevant.

- I am really starting to doubt ur comprehension as a person if you don't realise and understand that it is completely possible for someone to be in a cult without even knowing it e.g. Jonestown of November 18, 1978 is an example of how people can be in a cult without even knowing. 

Instances? How many people do you know who have tattoos? How many of them are practicing Satanists?

You do not need to be a practising satanist before u are a sinner.
You do not need to be a practising satanist before u realise that Tatoos have links to the occult.
You do not need to be a practising satanist to know that Tatoos do not glorify the Creator.
You do not need to be practising satanist

The Bible is our reference book, hence i don't need to know any practising satanist before i know that the use and support of tatooing is unbiblical and inherently wrong for anyone who claims to be saved by the Messiah of the Bible.

You cannot be of the World and still claim to have been saved it does not work.

I personally don't like tattoos. I don't have one and have no intention of getting one. And I would be pretty annoyed if my kids got one. I believe that too often the tattoo is of poor quality and also with time, fades to look bad on the skin. But to use a forgotten, irrelevant law and a load of mumbo jumbo that has no basis in Christianity to condemn it is ignorant.

Your personal opinion is not relevant, because it is not what determines the truth.
Your personal choices is not relevant, because it is not what determines the truth.

The Bible determines the truth.

As far as the bible is concerned, Tatoos do not glorify the creator end of story.
As far as the bible is concerned, Tatoos ends up defacing the body and since the our body is not ours but the Creators, hence we are not permitted to defile it.

The Bible never said that the All Seeing Eye represented the Creator, that catholic church and the occults did.

~Lady~:

This is true. But I have a feeling the illuminati will be having a comeback.

@Lady i would advise u stick defending the Catholic church cus u are stepping to dangerous territory here.
@Lady do not be deceived:

- Cults like the Illuminati are not going to advertise themselves on television as to whether or not they exist.
- The catholic church uses basically the same occultic symbols used by cults like the illuminati and the freemasons, hence i am not suprised that you choosen to play the devil's advocate by saying you believe the Illuminati do not exist.

It is one thing to be in denial, it is another thing to be completely ignorant of information readily available and cross-reference via the internet through a diligent research and analysis of world history and world events.

Yes the Illuminati exists.
Yes the Freemasons exists.
Yes the Knights Templar Exists.
Yes Skull and Bones exists.

@Lady since u claim the Freemasons do not worship the Eye of Osiris (All seeing eye), then can u kindly tell me what or who they worship.

----------------------------------------

The ignorance and naivety of Africans, Christians and people in general is really starting to become scary: how the heck does a sane man see the internet, crosscheck the facts from the internet and still go ahead to claim

----------------------------------------

You might be wondering if these people are so powerful and so secretive how come people know about them, well the answer is simple:

1. the control the media hence the use the media to label as conspiracy theorist people that expose them (just as @Bastage is currently doing by saying he does not believe and at the same time claim that those who do are conspiracy theorist)

2. They are not really hiding (u need to check nigeria and usa monuments and public building to know that they really are not hiding), remember they say the best way to keep a secret is to tell everybody, hence no one would really believe the truth cus everybody already knows it and thus would not really sound like the truth.

People should please be careful about dis-information agents like @Bastage who seek to deny the obvious even wen it is glaring to see with ur eyes and confirm from the bible wen possible (cus its not always possible to confirm from the bible)

---------------------------------

Below is the basic structure of the illuminati and how everything fits together.

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 4:12am On Jun 30, 2009
below are a few real time occult monuments in real life for those who have eyes to see:

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 4:13am On Jun 30, 2009
more

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 4:27am On Jun 30, 2009
more

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 4:29am On Jun 30, 2009
more

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 4:31am On Jun 30, 2009
more

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 4:32am On Jun 30, 2009
more

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 5:03am On Jun 30, 2009
more pics

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 5:04am On Jun 30, 2009
more

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 5:19am On Jun 30, 2009
george bush and masons

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 5:20am On Jun 30, 2009
occultic symbol osiris and pyramid on usa dollar

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 5:20am On Jun 30, 2009
more

Re: Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress by No2Atheism(m): 5:21am On Jun 30, 2009
correlation between egyptian paganism and use of the obelisk in modern day occultism and catholic church.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Early Church Vs The Modern Church / Joshua Iginla Visits Cana Of Galilee Where Jesus Performed 1st Miracle (Pics) / Pastor Chukwuemeka Ohanaemere Slams Man On The Ground For Deliverance (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.