Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,366 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. (22184 Views)

EXCLUSIVE! Architects In Crisis As NIA, ARCON Registration War Gets Messier / 21 Success Tips For Young And Aspiring Entrepreneurs / Thread For Aspiring Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by DerrickM(m): 9:12am On Jan 13, 2016
@VICTORTRY: Your observation is very correct & it didn't just start now in the last 9years to this day it's just been a downward spiral. The discipline is no longer a straight jacket one. All I advise is for you to have options career-wise aside;main architecture from interior design,landscape architecture,signage design,graphics design,furniture making,comic creation to animation to supplement one's income. Yes those who are very connected will always get the jobs but just be good at what you do & clients will still come. Just make sure you still write the NIA exams to become chartered eventually,best regards...

victorytry:
The times are getting harder for up and coming architects in our present day. Are there other ways young architects can survive in the construction industry?, where projects are awarded to affluent architects and those with connections(man know man).
lets discuss please.
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 13, 2016
@DerrickM I love your contributions. thank you.
I see one can go into supply, own a block factory, local windows and doors manufacturing e.t.c
in addition to making designs and going to site.

DerrickM:
@VICTORTRY: Your observation is very correct & it didn't just start now in the last 9years to this day it's just been a downward spiral. The discipline is no longer a straight jacket one. All I advise is for you to have options career-wise aside;main architecture from interior design,landscape architecture,signage design,graphics design,furniture making,comic creation to animation go supplement one's income. Yes those who are very connected will always get the jobs but just be good at what you do & clients will still come. Just make sure you still write the NIA exams to become chartered eventually,best regards...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 13, 2016
@CASTOSVILLA no be small thing oo. which state do you reside. a one on one tutoring is all you need. or we can communicate through whatapp?
CASTOSVILLA:
My brother I saw all of it prior before rendering it grin. Am new to interior decorations and rendering (esp. Artlantis). This is my second interior rendering with the software (please don't ask me about the first grin).
1. I had a hard time turning that TV image to the upright direction but i failed at every attempt. I gave up on it after hours of trying. Dude the thing started getting anoying and boring.
2. That light wasn't even lit on Artlantis but the icon on the 2d shows that there's light on it. I had to twick it with neon shader to show at least an atom of light. imagine a whole chandelier at the middle of my lounge is not ON? dude, I had to make it ON by force grin no dulling.
3. That air conditioner? no just go there o grin to even place it like that na by HIS grace grin.
4. Victorytry, if you call me an amateur on interior rendering, it's an understatement. I be real amateur, but am getting better. I'll post a better one later.
victorytry, I don't know how to brighten up my interiors like it was in the day time. Mine is alway dark whenever I export it to Artlantis and without the lights, I wonder the type of darkness I'll be rendering.
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by obynocute(m): 9:59am On Jan 13, 2016
@ victorytry, cn I add u up on wassap.?
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 13, 2016
obynocute:
@ victorytry, cn I add u up on wassap.?
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by DerrickM(m): 10:52am On Jan 13, 2016
@VICTORTRY: You're most welcome. The key is diversifying one's portfolio & have at least 2-4 streams of income personally & professionally to survive. I plan to write an article about it for posterity sake of future architects. Architecture is an art,science & a business. The Nigerian curriculum in many ways is somewhat rigid & not dynamic so thinking outside the box is a must.

victorytry:
@DerrickM I love your contributions. thank you.
I see one can go into supply, own a block factory, local windows and doors manufacturing e.t.c
in addition to making designs and going to site.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by CASTOSVILLA(m): 5:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
victorytry:
@CASTOSVILLA no be small thing oo. which state do you reside. a one on one tutoring is all you need. or we can communicate through whatapp?
Am in Anambra state. Whatsapp me with 08135199356

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jan 13, 2016
very interesting
DerrickM:
@VICTORTRY: You're most welcome. The key is diversifying one's portfolio & have at least 2-4 streams of income personally & professionally to survive. I plan to write an article about it for posterity sake of future architects. Architecture is an art,science & a business. The Nigerian curriculum in many ways is somewhat rigid & not dynamic so thinking outside the box is a must.

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by CASTOSVILLA(m): 7:28am On Jan 14, 2016
DerrickM:

As for me, am planning on venturing into sales of building materials. This construction work is "work today no work tomorrow". There's need for steady income. If I don't succeed with the business I might go into civil service + construction.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by DerrickM(m): 11:05am On Jan 14, 2016
@CASTOVILLA: It isn't a bad idea so plan ahead. Remember another thing we now live in the information & digital age. So the little-you-know could be turned to gold via e-commerce.

CASTOSVILLA:
As for me, am planning on venturing into sales of building materials. This construction work is "work today no work tomorrow". There's need for steady income. If I don't succeed with the business I might go into civil service + construction.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by CASTOSVILLA(m): 11:55am On Jan 17, 2016
which color do you prefer?

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by CASTOSVILLA(m): 12:02pm On Jan 17, 2016
more

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by obynocute(m): 11:28pm On Jan 17, 2016
all re nice nd kul colours, kip it up. bro..
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by CASTOSVILLA(m): 7:23am On Jan 18, 2016
obynocute:
all re nice nd kul colours, kip it up. bro..
Thanks buddy, but you still haven't picked your best color wink
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jan 20, 2016
I go with this, from among the options displayed

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by CASTOSVILLA(m): 12:09am On Jan 21, 2016
victorytry:
I go with this, from among the options displayed
Nice choice.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by CASTOSVILLA(m): 12:12am On Jan 21, 2016
Most people will prefer this to a duplex.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by DerrickM(m): 8:05am On Jan 21, 2016
Yes,I do prefer a maisonette & don't plan to build a duplex personally. If as a family man or woman,one can't build the duplex while the kids are still between the ages of a few months old to say 17years. Anything after then will be a burden to maintain the house domestically if no one is around to occupy the space. Eventually the children will move out & will most likely remain only the parents. That's my own thinking though*winks winks*

CASTOSVILLA:
Most people will prefer this to a duplex.
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by cupid0(f): 12:31pm On Jan 24, 2016
Happy Sunday my fellow architects. Please subscribe to my channel on bbm 'bluebrook' on C002254AD.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by DerrickM(m): 9:35pm On Jan 24, 2016
Hi & hapi Sun 2u. What's the channel about?!!

cupid0:
Happy Sunday my fellow architects. Please subscribe to my channel on bbm 'bluebrook' on C002254AD.
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by cupid0(f): 9:18am On Jan 25, 2016
DerrickM:
Hi & hapi Sun 2u. What's the channel about?!!

it's a platform I use to showcase my works and accept criticisms from fellow colleagues. The works are architectural works and interiors.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by DerrickM(m): 8:19am On Jan 29, 2016
cool smiley grin I have joined your channel. Ladies & gents following this thread I implore you do the same to support. Me makes me wonder if I shouldn't open a channel for myself*winks winks*

cupid0:
it's a platform I use to showcase my works and accept criticisms from fellow colleagues. The works are architectural works and interiors.
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by stephen2016: 5:33pm On Feb 13, 2016
Wow! This thread is amazing. I observe all protocols here with great sincerity. Firstly I am Stephen I graduated from the department of mechanical engineering in FUTO . I so much love designing but I want venture into product design . like design beds,plastic chairs and other little toys etc. Can anyone give me an idea of the softwares to study. And also if possible recommend and study center. I don't like watching online tutorials its doesn't build my confidence . I am presently in Port Harcourt . and please check out my system details below if I am good to go, or give me some system recommendations

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by DerrickM(m): 11:27am On Feb 16, 2016
@STEPHEN2016: I will advise you know AutoCAD to draw technical details & Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign for graphic presentation to visually communicate. Now to bring your ideas to life in 3d it's for you to choose from 3dsmax,Maya,Cinema4D,Blender which are the most popular. So access them for yourself by trying them out as trials. Get on youtube & watch their reviews as well,cheers...

stephen2016:
Wow! This thread is amazing. I observe all protocols here with great sincerity. Firstly I am Stephen I graduated from the department of mechanical engineering in FUTO . I so much love designing but I want venture into product design . like design beds,plastic chairs and other little toys etc. Can anyone give me an idea of the softwares to study. And also if possible recommend and study center. I don't like watching online tutorials its doesn't build my confidence . I am presently in Port Harcourt . and please check out my system details below if I am good to go, or give me some system recommendations
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by germaneng: 1:09pm On Feb 16, 2016
Buy IPAD air (128G) for N136k...Iphone 5S (64G) for 105k!!...offer while stock lasts! Visit germane.com.ng for more offers
Call 08020771053 to order now!
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by biazarre(m): 12:43am On Feb 17, 2016
costosvilla n derrickm luv u guys... n I really luv dis thread kip it up.... pls I will like to bring to da house something dat has been disturbing my mind,....... n da thing is, wat is NIA doing to help young n up coming architects? wat ar d provisions dey ave for us, because I got to realise from my experience dat registered architect ar sadist!!..... I can buttress my statement with these 2 reasons...(1)they hate to employ, they prefer part-time or contract stuffs..... (2)they will Neva appreciate anything u do for them, n they used dat to kill ur moral... I must confess, times without number I look at myself n hate all da yrs I spent in school, sometimes I believe I'm just a waste!!.. until I later find someone (who is not even an architect ) who now values my worth. dat was when I started appreciating my products n stop feeling inferior like a second class citizen, I want to believe dat NIA IS NOTHING BUT A TOOTHLESS DOG... imagine a local draftman who spent a yr in his/her ogas shop having a seal afta graduation n many of us afta spending so many yrs in school wit da ARCHITORTURE slogan n experience , u guys (NIA) still want us to pay dat substantial amount of money for our PPE n if u can't afford it u take ur work to a registered archy, n if u can't do dat u take it to dat local guy in ur area to stamp it wit dat blue or orange stamp!! for 1k, I think something should b done to make life easy n juicy for young architect too, things should be done to all dis local draftmen,.... da truth is they get all bungalows... n big architects get da sky scrapers, young archy stays at d middle suffering!!!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by stephen2016: 12:49am On Feb 17, 2016
DerrickM:
@STEPHEN2016: I will advise you know AutoCAD to draw technical details & Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign for graphic presentation to visually communicate. Now to bring your ideas to life in 3d it's for you to choose from 3dsmax,Maya,Cinema4D,Blender which are the most popular. So access them for yourself by trying them out as trials. Get on youtube & watch their reviews as well,cheers...

Thanks very much for taking out the time to give me this piece of information

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by DerrickM(m): 1:02am On Feb 17, 2016
You're welcome,bro,cheers...

stephen2016:

Thanks very much for taking out the time to give me this piece of information
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by stephen2016: 1:12am On Feb 17, 2016
[quote author=DerrickM post=42990290][/quote]

Is there a place where I can download some e-books about the above mentioned softwares
Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by biazarre(m): 7:38am On Feb 17, 2016
archicad + artlantis

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by biazarre(m): 7:44am On Feb 17, 2016
archicad+ artlantis

Re: A Thread For Architects And Aspiring Architects. by DerrickM(m): 7:55am On Feb 17, 2016
@BIAZZARE: Your observations aren't far from the truth but on point. I just finished serving a 2year ban with the NIA because of NUC problems with my MTech program. My set & the next ended up defending during NYSC only to collect the certificates after service was completed. To the NIA it falls into the category of bye-laws being classified as "concurrence". Where your school program is clashing in dates with one's service period like one did both but they know what happened but doesn't matter. In short, about to reapply to get the associate membership status then write PPE maybe 2years max from now. It's frustrating & I almost gave up if not for encouragement from my good friend who went to school with me through everything to continue with it as I've started.
NIA isn't doing as much as they should to the student level. I advise you make sure you always add a creative skill that complements architecture that's the main reason why even when there aren't archy jobs I'll survive somewhat. I feel you @the part of working for some unappreciative employers from architects to business execs. Just keep moving & believe in yourself always sharpening your skills not to lose your spark*winks winks*It ain't easy like I know but that's the price for #success.

biazarre:
costosvilla n derrickm luv u guys... n I really luv dis thread kip it up.... pls I will like to bring to da house something dat has been disturbing my mind,....... n da thing is, wat is NIA doing to help young n up coming architects? wat ar d provisions dey ave for us, because I got to realise from my experience dat registered architect ar sadist!!..... I can buttress my statement with these 2 reasons...(1)they hate to employ, they prefer part-time or contract stuffs..... (2)they will Neva appreciate anything u do for them, n they used dat to kill ur moral... I must confess, times without number I look at myself n hate all da yrs I spent in school, sometimes I believe I'm just a waste!!.. until I later find someone (who is not even an architect ) who now values my worth. dat was when I started appreciating my products n stop feeling inferior like a second class citizen, I want to believe dat NIA IS NOTHING BUT A TOOTHLESS DOG... imagine a local draftman who spent a yr in his/her ogas shop having a seal afta graduation n many of us afta spending so many yrs in school wit da ARCHITORTURE slogan n experience , u guys (NIA) still want us to pay dat substantial amount of money for our PPE n if u can't afford it u take ur work to a registered archy, n if u can't do dat u take it to dat local guy in ur area to stamp it wit dat blue or orange stamp!! for 1k, I think something should b done to make life easy n juicy for young architect too, things should be done to all dis local draftmen,.... da truth is they get all bungalows... n big architects get da sky scrapers, young archy stays at d middle suffering!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Skill(s) Do You Plan To Learn This Year? / BRT Workers Strike Over Unpaid Salaries (photo) / Improve Your Business Speak With These Words & Phrases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.