Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,271 members, 7,807,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: (74401 Views)

The Nigerian Army Attack On Biafra: Its Mixed Feelings For Us. / Photo: The Man Who Suggested The Name "BIAFRA" / How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 10:44pm On Oct 20, 2015
There was a Biafra before 1967which lost its sovereignty to colonial powers. “ Early modern maps of Africa from the 15th-19th centuries, drawn by European cartographers from accounts written by explorers and travellers, reveal that the original word used by the European travellers was not Biafra but Biafara, Biafar and sometimes also Biafares.” Now let me correct one impression about the meaning of Biafra as some believed it is a name given by Portuguese explorers. Biafara people are already known and addressed as Biafara people before they came in contact with the first European merchants. The word Biafra has its generics from “Ephraim” as pointed out by Martin Simon Ukegbe (a religious activist who suggested that the new Republic of Biafra of 1967 be called the Christian Democratic Republic of B”Ephrayim) the B there signifies the bay or bight so the word Biafara or Biafar has its root from B”Ephraim but the Europeans at that time called it Biafar-Biafara or Biafares. Researchers hold the view that the region is inhabited by descendants of Ephraim. Mitchell map of 1839 stated that the important estuaries from where the rivers flow into the ocean is called Ephraim town which is located 60 miles from River Nun which is in the south-south Nigeria today. The river is named after Nun the father of Joshua of the tribe of Ephraim. Biblical meaning of the name “EPHRAIM” is “God has made me fruitful in the land of my affliction”. The question now is who are the most afflicted, deprived and mostly killed in the contraption called Nigeria “Biafra people” who are the most fruitful, blessed by nature and skills within the contraption called Nigeria “Biafra people” before 1967-1970 genocide war against Biafran people they have been killed in their thousands by the Northerners and Westerners 1966, during the war, all the public facilities where completely destroyed, that includes Schools, Hospitals, Markets, Power plants, Churches, Post offices, Biafra land (south-east Nigeria and some part of South-south) where desolate with no life sustaining amenities, after the war in1970, Awolowo the finance minister gave £20 to every Biafra no matter the amount you have in your bank account, and declared all their properties outside Igbo land abandoned property, including Port Harcourt where Ikwere Igbos denied their Igbo identity with the intention of annihilating and breaking the spirit of Igbo to make them perpetual beggars and people of no hope for the future. The rest are history today which you can confirm for yourself. Today an average Igbo man that has his Igbo identity are far much better than every other Nigeria from all perspective, you can disprove that if you think otherwise. Biafran Ethnic Nationalities: Ibos (Igbo speaking Biafrans), Ijaws (speaking Kalabari, Edoid, Izon language etc) others includes: Ibibio-Efiks and Ogojas, and this Great Nation has been coexisting thousands of years ago as Biafra people many centuries before losing her sovereignty to colonial powers before being balkanized into various countries like Guanine Bissau, Kamerun, etc, the Archaeological evidence and African Ancient map stands as a proof that Biafra people are a nation and are Indigenous people Origin and meaning of Igbo/Ibo as a language and people: (this part is written in Ibo Biafra perspective and all other Biafra Ethnic Nations shared same experience and linkage with their Ibo Brothers,

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Beesluv: 10:46pm On Oct 20, 2015
I used to think Biafra means war because of that film "biafran war"
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 10:52pm On Oct 20, 2015
Beesluv:
I used to think Biafra means war because of that film "biafran war"

I used to know you are a whor.e. wink

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Beesluv: 10:54pm On Oct 20, 2015
Zinicc:

Yes, cos we are always together

4 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 20, 2015
biafare people should be grateful to awolowo

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by cardoctor(m): 10:59pm On Oct 20, 2015
Oh for Gods sake gimme a break. All this cock and bull.
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 20, 2015
Beesluv:

Yes, cos we were always together

With your dirty,sticky, smelly axs meant for age 90 $ above.
Go look for your papy..Yorubastard!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
hopelink1:
biafare people should be grateful to awolowo

Because you just discovered that Awolowo was your papy and not the under the bridge agbero you have been calling papy all your miserable Yorúbastard life...l see..u have solved your bastarď maths.
Congratulatións!

2 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Beesluv: 11:05pm On Oct 20, 2015
Zinicc:

With your dirty,sticky, smelly axs meant for age 90 $ above.
Go look for your papy..Yorubastard!

By their writing/expression, we shall know them. Bless you brother

4 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by BALLOSKI: 11:10pm On Oct 20, 2015
Biblical meaning of the name “EPHRAIM” is “God has made me fruitful in the land of my affliction”.

one word means everything, how possible is that?

B'ephraim=biafara/biafare? shocked

Oh my God! This story is faulty.

2 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 11:10pm On Oct 20, 2015
[size=18pt]A load of sh[/size][size=18pt]it. Stop the Jew worship.[/size]

What a useless pile of garbage. This is why I don't like this sourceless, baseless name Biafra. Nobody know the meaning of the nonsense name and you must know nothing or a big liar if you think anyone was calling themselves "Biafara" before 1967. I won't even address the Judeo-Christian nonsense because that can not be cured with an internet post.

2 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 11:10pm On Oct 20, 2015
1) Biafran agitation has nothing to do with HYDROCARBON/CRUDE OIL deposits in Niger Delta. Imo, Abia, Anambra are currently oil producing states in Nigeria with huge natural gas reserves, not forgetting the enormous untapped coal deposits in Enugu! (2) Biafra is not land-locked. It has numerous access to the sea, including through the River Niger. (3) Biafra entire population is about 35 million people which is greater than the population many advanced countries in Western Europe, including Switzerland, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Austria....etc (4) Biafra does not or in any form signify war, violence, armed struggle or any sort of physical confrontation. BIAFRA IS NOT WAR! It simply means political, economic and socio-cultural freedom from a feudalist State ruled by terrorists and Jihadists. (5) Biafra is not a call for massive exodus to Igbo land. Put differently, every Igbo or Biafran must not live in Biafra land. Those who wish could still maintain their residency wherever they are as well as own properties anywhere in the world, including Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Kano, Abeokuta…etc. (6) Independent and sovereign Biafra will never translate to loss or forfeiture of landed properties of her citizens in Lagos, Abuja or anywhere in Nigeria. There are many domestic and international treaties, conventions and laws that protects Assets of non- citizens everywhere in the World, that will apply appropriately. (7) The NEW BIAFRA shall be a coalition of desirous and willing ethnic nationalities in defunct Eastern Nigeria and would never be a forceful annexation of any unwilling ethnic nationality within its current geo- political definition. Ijaws, Ogonis, Ibibio, Anangs, Efiks, Ogojas, and host of other ethnic minorities shall possess the privilege to decide whether to tango politically with their Igbo brethren or go their own separate ways. (cool Biafra is a train of peace and liberty. A desire for liberation from institutionalised stumbling blocks like quota system and federal character principles in Nigeria’s quasi-unitary society. It is a movement against internal colonialism, tribal gang-ups, economic marginalisation and political subjugation of Igbo and her minority neighbours. (9) It has nothing to do with hate, bigotry or ethnic chauvinism. Just a desire to live in a healthy society where your tribe, tongue, religion or creed does not define who you are or how far you would go in your career!

4 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 11:11pm On Oct 20, 2015
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by BALLOSKI: 11:12pm On Oct 20, 2015
Beesluv:

By their writing/expression, we shall know them. Bless you brother

this post reeks of maturity!

Keep it on!

5 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by tpiander: 11:12pm On Oct 20, 2015
Zinicc:

war/w.hore ?
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 20, 2015
tpiander:

war/w.hore ?

Are you crazy or you are practising?
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by tpiander: 11:26pm On Oct 20, 2015
Zinicc:

I'm crazy

perhaps so bro, however, the poster said "Biafran war", but your mind saw "w.hore".

I never made the connection like that prior to now.

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 11:27pm On Oct 20, 2015
ezeagu:

What a useless pile of garbage. This is why I don't like this sourceless, baseless name Biafra. Nobody know the meaning of the nonsense name and you must know nothing or a big liar if you think anyone was calling themselves "Biafara" before 1967. I won't even address the Judeo-Christian nonsense because that can not be cured with an internet post.

I always see you as a good researcher.. but you are got it wrong on this.....
I won't argue with you.. and BTW where did you see any JEW WORSHIP included ?

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2015
tpiander:

perhaps so bro, however, the poster said "Biafran war", but your mind saw "w.hore".

I now understand why your mammy sleeps around..it's in your family.
Just continué asking her to show you your pappy maybe one day she will remember..
Goodluck with that!
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by tpiander: 11:39pm On Oct 20, 2015
Zinicc:

I now understand why my mammy sleeps around..it's in my family.
Just continué asking her to show me my pappy maybe one day she will remember..
Goodluckto me with that!

i know you're looking for who will join you in your misery, but you have to keep looking, sorry, i cant relate with your painment.

just embrace any of the people who could be your papa so you can stop attacking folks on social media.

somebody said war, you changed it to w.hore, another person asked why the error, you now started soliloquizing about your unknown papa and your streetwalking mama.

My fault i guess?

2 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 11:43pm On Oct 20, 2015
Anseth:

I always see you as a good researcher.. but you are got it wrong on this.....
I won't argue with you.. and BTW where did you see any JEW WORSHIP included ?

Nothing in the original post can be backed up by any logical source. Claiming that a 'core' Niger Congo people are from "Ephraim" is Judeo-Christian ideology. One question though: was anyone calling themselves 'Biafran' before 1967?
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by salamido: 12:08am On Oct 21, 2015
Anseth:
There was a Biafra before 1967which lost its
sovereignty to colonial powers. “ Early modern maps
of Africa from the 15th-19th centuries, drawn by
European cartographers from accounts written by
explorers and travellers, reveal that the original word
used by the European travellers was not Biafra but
Biafara, Biafar and sometimes also Biafares.” Now let
me correct one impression about the meaning of Biafra
as some believed it is a name given by Portuguese
explorers. Biafara people are already known and
addressed as Biafara people before they came in
contact with the first European merchants. The word
Biafra has its generics from “Ephraim” as pointed out
by Martin Simon Ukegbe (a religious activist who
suggested that the new Republic of Biafra of 1967 be
called the Christian Democratic Republic of
B”Ephrayim) the B there signifies the bay or bight so
the word Biafara or Biafar has its root from
B”Ephraim but the Europeans at that time called it
Biafar-Biafara or Biafares. Researchers hold the view
that the region is inhabited by descendants of Ephraim.
Mitchell map of 1839 stated that the important
estuaries from where the rivers flow into the ocean is
called Ephraim town which is located 60 miles from
River Nun which is in the south-south Nigeria today.
The river is named after Nun the father of Joshua of
the tribe of Ephraim. Biblical meaning of the name
“EPHRAIM” is “God has made me fruitful in the land
of my affliction”. The question now is who are the
most afflicted, deprived and mostly killed in the
contraption called Nigeria “Biafra people” who are the
most fruitful, blessed by nature and skills within the
contraption called Nigeria “Biafra people” before
1967-1970 genocide war against Biafran people they
have been killed in their thousands by the Northerners
and Westerners 1966, during the war, all the public
facilities where completely destroyed, that includes
Schools, Hospitals, Markets, Power plants, Churches,
Post offices, Biafra land (south-east Nigeria and some
part of South-south) where desolate with no life
sustaining amenities, after the war in1970, Awolowo
the finance minister gave £20 to every Biafra no
matter the amount you have in your bank account, and
declared all their properties outside Igbo land
abandoned property, including Port Harcourt where
Ikwere Igbos denied their Igbo identity with the
intention of annihilating and breaking the spirit of Igbo
to make them perpetual beggars and people of no hope
for the future. The rest are history today which you
can confirm for yourself. Today an average Igbo man
that has his Igbo identity are far much better than
every other Nigeria from all perspective, you can
disprove that if you think otherwise.
Biafran Ethnic Nationalities:
Ibos (Igbo speaking Biafrans), Ijaws (speaking
Kalabari, Edoid, Izon language etc) others includes:
Ibibio-Efiks and Ogojas, and this Great Nation has
been coexisting thousands of years ago as Biafra
people many centuries before losing her sovereignty to
colonial powers before being balkanized into various
countries like Guanine Bissau, Kamerun, etc, the
Archaeological evidence and African Ancient map
stands as a proof that Biafra people are a nation and
are Indigenous people
Origin and meaning of Igbo/Ibo as a language and
people: (this part is written in Ibo Biafra perspective
and all other Biafra Ethnic Nations shared same
experience and linkage with their Ibo Brothers,

Are you so ashamed of your ancestry that you want to falsely claim a most impossible link to Israel? We know of American, Russia and even Ethiopian Jews. We have never heard or known of 'Amadiohan Jews'.

Must you sell yourself and tribe because of the biblical tales, which had nothing to do with sub-Saharan or black Africa to those that will not only scorn your futile and false attempt at linkage but will avoid you like a plaque?

You should be proud of your African heritage instead of making a pathetic joke of a whole African tribe with foolish wishful history!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by quickly: 12:22am On Oct 21, 2015
Ojukwu himself said it Biafra was to call France

So bia-france means come France since uk was in support of nigeria
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by coolscott(m): 12:41am On Oct 21, 2015
Anseth:
[s]There was a Biafra before 1967which lost its
sovereignty to colonial powers. “ Early modern maps
of Africa from the 15th-19th centuries, drawn by
European cartographers from accounts written by
explorers and travellers, reveal that the original word
used by the European travellers was not Biafra but
Biafara, Biafar and sometimes also Biafares.” Now let
me correct one impression about the meaning of Biafra
as some believed it is a name given by Portuguese
explorers. Biafara people are already known and
addressed as Biafara people before they came in
contact with the first European merchants. The word
Biafra has its generics from “Ephraim” as pointed out
by Martin Simon Ukegbe (a religious activist who
suggested that the new Republic of Biafra of 1967 be
called the Christian Democratic Republic of
B”Ephrayim) the B there signifies the bay or bight so
the word Biafara or Biafar has its root from
B”Ephraim but the Europeans at that time called it
Biafar-Biafara or Biafares. Researchers hold the view
that the region is inhabited by descendants of Ephraim.
Mitchell map of 1839 stated that the important
estuaries from where the rivers flow into the ocean is
called Ephraim town which is located 60 miles from
River Nun which is in the south-south Nigeria today.
The river is named after Nun the father of Joshua of
the tribe of Ephraim. Biblical meaning of the name
“EPHRAIM” is “God has made me fruitful in the land
of my affliction”. The question now is who are the
most afflicted, deprived and mostly killed in the
contraption called Nigeria “Biafra people” who are the
most fruitful, blessed by nature and skills within the
contraption called Nigeria “Biafra people” before
1967-1970 genocide war against Biafran people they
have been killed in their thousands by the Northerners
and Westerners 1966, during the war, all the public
facilities where completely destroyed, that includes
Schools, Hospitals, Markets, Power plants, Churches,
Post offices, Biafra land (south-east Nigeria and some
part of South-south) where desolate with no life
sustaining amenities, after the war in1970, Awolowo
the finance minister gave £20 to every Biafra no
matter the amount you have in your bank account, and
declared all their properties outside Igbo land
abandoned property, including Port Harcourt where
Ikwere Igbos denied their Igbo identity with the
intention of annihilating and breaking the spirit of Igbo
to make them perpetual beggars and people of no hope
for the future. The rest are history today which you
can confirm for yourself. Today an average Igbo man
that has his Igbo identity are far much better than
every other Nigeria from all perspective, you can
disprove that if you think otherwise.
Biafran Ethnic Nationalities:
Ibos (Igbo speaking Biafrans), Ijaws (speaking
Kalabari, Edoid, Izon language etc) others includes:
Ibibio-Efiks and Ogojas, and this Great Nation has
been coexisting thousands of years ago as Biafra
people many centuries before losing her sovereignty to
colonial powers before being balkanized into various
countries like Guanine Bissau, Kamerun, etc, the
Archaeological evidence and African Ancient map
stands as a proof that Biafra people are a nation and
are Indigenous people
Origin and meaning of Igbo/Ibo as a language and
people: (this part is written in Ibo Biafra perspective
and all other Biafra Ethnic Nations shared same
experience and linkage with their Ibo Brothers,[/s]
[size=14pt]Delusionary.
Given that things that pertain to history are written down and mostly very well verifiable, we will never understand why these folks will confidently post easily identifiable delusional nonsense in public like this. Below is a dictionary definition of delusion[/size] ezeagu Anseth

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by coolscott(m): 1:01am On Oct 21, 2015
salamido:

Are you so ashamed of your ancestry that you want to falsely claim a most impossible link to Israel? We know of American, Russia and even Ethiopian Jews. We have never heard or known of 'Amadiohan Jews'.

Must you sell yourself and tribe because of the biblical tales, which had nothing to do with sub-Saharan or black Africa to those that will not only scorn your futile and false attempt at linkage but will avoid you like a plaque?

You should be proud of your African heritage instead of making a pathetic joke of a whole African tribe with foolish wishful history!

They don't have an established historical heritage they think they can be proud of so they seek historical significance by improperly grasping at anything they can (including imagined fabrications) to validate themselves, esp when it begins gnawing on their minds that based on ethnic history, they probably will be inferior to other known Nigerian ethnic groups.

The total absence of ethnic historical greatness gnaws at their consciousness, meanwhile, they have already inflated their egos with the idea of superiority based on ethnicity. They must therefore fill their consciousness with lies and delusions (and try to sell same to us) in order to make up for the deficit that exists between their egos and the undesirable realities that they notice about their history.

ezeagu Anseth
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by theDEVILisHERE: 1:03am On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:

Nothing in the original post can be backed up by any logical source. Claiming that a 'core' Niger Congo people are from "Ephraim" is Judeo-Christian ideology. One question though: was anyone calling themselves 'Biafran' before 1967?

Your last sentence/question

Research on the document the British signed with the cheifs of that part of the world when they first came to do some business there
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by coolscott(m): 1:13am On Oct 21, 2015
Igbos had no chiefs. The white man (Lord Lugard) had to appoint paramount cheifs in order to have some form of organisation with with to rule.

The south-shouth kingdoms on the other hand, had well structured political systems that which had kings at the top, supported by a council of chiefs, their version of a senate (Ama Opu bo) a house of assembly (warisenibo) etc, etc. It is with the kingdoms of the south-south (which were hundreds of years old) that the British and Portuguese signed treaties with and did business with.

Igbos were just not that civilised. They were bought and sold by their own people to slave dealers of the south-south (Ijaws), who sold them to the white man, an unfortunate part of our African history, the fact that both Igbos and Ijaws helped to sell Igbos to foreigners as slaves.

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by theDEVILisHERE: 1:24am On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:

When the British first came to the Mohamedian Emirates of the North at present day Zamfara
They asked one of the chiefs who those people were who lived across the river at the area where biafra is
He (the chief) said
In his words " they are the lost tribe of isreal"

Documents are available to prove this
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 1:41am On Oct 21, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

Your last sentence/question

Research on the document the British signed with the cheifs of that part of the world when they first came to do some business there

Are you trying to tell me your great great great great great grand mother ever said these words in their life 'A bum onye Biafra' or the likes?

theDEVILisHERE:

When the British first came to the Mohamedian Emirates of the North at present day Zamfara
They asked one of the chiefs who those people were who lived across the river at the area where biafra is
He (the chief) said
In his words " they are the lost tribe of isreal"

Documents are available to prove this

Provide them. Even if this is true, this is wha you're basing the identity on?
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by theDEVILisHERE: 2:03am On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:

Are you trying to tell me your great great great great great grand mother ever said these words in their life 'A bum onye Biafra' or the likes?

Provide them. Even if this is true, this is wha you're basing the identity on?

If you do a proper research
You will find my ascertions true

Some of the these documents are not easy to come by at the moment so providing them wouldn't be poosble now

One more thing
I don't do or care about religion
Becuase
It is a fraud
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 2:06am On Oct 21, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

If you do a proper research
You will find my ascertions true

Some of the these documents are not easy to come by at the moment so providing them wouldn't be poosble now

One more thing
I don't do or care about religion
Becuase
It is a fraud

How can such a document be so hard to procure? It's utter nonsense and you'd be better using this time to research actual Igbo history.
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Beesluv: 6:01am On Oct 21, 2015
tpiander:

The eyes see what the mind thinks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Sacks Kachikwu As GMD Of NNPC / Sorting Of Votes Has Begun (APC Presidential Primary) / Is Professor Osibanjo Right With This? (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.