Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,595 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes (1413 Views)

A Florida Based Company Has Created Headphones That Can Get You High On Music. / Scientists Have Created The First Accurate Map Of The Brain / Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Manipulat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by genuinechimere(m): 3:57pm On Oct 22, 2015
If you’ve ever read recent dystopian sci-fi books such as Margaret Atwood’s Oryx and Crake or Paolo Bacigalupi’s The Windup Girl, you’d know that one of their common predictions is that in the future genetically mutated super animals will run amok and make day-to-day life very dangerous for the world’s remaining humans. Now Technology Review brings us word that scientists in China claim to have used DNA manipulation to create a stronger, faster breed of dogs that will ominously be used for various police and military operations.

Gulp.

It seems that there’s a mutation that naturally occurs in whippets’ myostatin genes that causes them to gain significant muscle bulk. Researchers in China have figured out how to simulate this gene mutation in other breeds of dogs and have used it to create beagles that have twice the normal muscle mass.

“[The dogs have] more muscles and are expected to have stronger running ability, which is good for hunting, police (military) applications,” Liangxue Lai, a researcher with the Key Laboratory of Regenerative Biology at the Guangzhou Institutes of Biomedicine and Health, explained in an email to Technology Review.

Although Lai and his fellow researchers don’t plan to breed these super beagles for commercial use, their research does open the door for other groups to create and sell genetically modified pets.

What’s particularly freaky about this research is the way that they got these dogs to bulk up: They essentially injected a chemical agent into dog embryos that is designed to destroy the dogs’ myostatin genes that naturally inhibit their muscle growth. Apparently, the effects of removing this gene have been well studied and there aren’t any known averse impacts of removing it but… it’s nonetheless a wee bit disconcerting.

source: http://www.panorama.am/en/world/2015/10/22/dogs/

Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by Dekatron(m): 7:35pm On Oct 22, 2015
lipsrsealed shocked

WTF!!
Cc: Lalasticlala, johnydon22, hahn, menesheh

@Op :- Put source (sauce) so lalasticlala can move it to frontpage

1 Like

Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by hahn(m): 7:41pm On Oct 22, 2015
Chai! Confirm barbecue. Meat everywhere. But how are going to catch it? undecided

@dekatron and op, this one na gbege o!

1 Like

Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by hahn(m): 7:43pm On Oct 22, 2015
When are human tests going to be carried out. The effect will be unbelievable!

And Nigeria still doesn't have stable electricity or good roads undecided
Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by johnydon22(m): 8:13pm On Oct 22, 2015
Dekatron:
lipsrsealed shocked

WTF!!

Genetic engineering is redefining the species we add to our neighbourhood.

I won't be surprised when we start breeding a specially bred genetic engineered type of super humans..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by johnydon22(m): 8:15pm On Oct 22, 2015
Damn!!! If this type of dog ever jam be for corner, na to kneel down jeje begin beg am..

ME: Brother abeg na embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by Dekatron(m): 8:29pm On Oct 22, 2015
hahn:
Chai! Confirm barbecue. Meat everywhere. But how are going to catch it? undecided

@dekatron and op, this one na gbege o!

chain finish for market?

Arrhh!! God. Lets tell Sky Daddy to help us. He is all sufficient. undecided undecided
Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by Dekatron(m): 8:31pm On Oct 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Damn!!! If this type of dog ever jam be for corner, na to kneel down jeje begin beg am..

ME: Brother abeg na embarassed

grin grin grin grin Lol. . . . You na boss na. . . Na to tear race oo. This one, na only go him sabi, no be come or pls o. . . Sheybi u play basket ball, you suppose fit tear better race nah undecided
Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by Dekatron(m): 8:36pm On Oct 22, 2015
hahn:

Internet is too expensive. The business area (banks, shopping malls, big big and expensive places) of Ibadan, thats DUGBE has NO FREE WiFi. I mean, of all companies and banks and businesses here, all of them no fit open free hotspot even if na for few hours. . . Imagine!!

I hear say WiFi yapa for New York. . . . . And all of them for here password am. EVEN BANKS and TECHNOLOGY STORES!!
Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by hahn(m): 8:52pm On Oct 22, 2015
Dekatron:

grin grin grin grin Lol. . . . You na boss na. . . Na to tear race oo. This one, na only go him sabi, no be come or pls o. . . Sheybi u play basket ball, you suppose fit tear better race nah undecided

You forgot to mention that johnnydon22 has long legs. I just hope the 3rd leg won't get in the way grin
Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by genuinechimere(m): 8:42pm On Oct 23, 2015
i wonder how they do all these things. i once heard scientist have mated dogs with fox
Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by genuinechimere(m): 8:44pm On Oct 23, 2015
Dekatron:

you are very funny. lol
Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by genuinechimere(m): 8:46pm On Oct 23, 2015
Dekatron:
lipsrsealed shocked

WTF!!

i have added source now. thanks a lot for reminding me
Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by dhummystecah(f): 11:32pm On Oct 23, 2015
hahn:

All we need is the study group (lab rats) for the experiments but eish ethics does not really easily allow use of human.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 24, 2015
Animal cruelty! why feed a poor dog steroids?
it looks like it's in pain

1 Like

Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by hahn(m): 9:09am On Oct 24, 2015
dhummystecah:
All we need is the study group (lab rats) for the experiments but eish ethics does not really easily allow use of human.

Then they should come and carry out experiments here in Nigeria. We don't respect ethics and there are lots of jobless people, on nl politics section for instance, that will be good as lab rats. grin
Re: Scientists Have Created A New Breed Of Stronger, Faster Dogs Using DNA Changes by dhummystecah(f): 9:36am On Oct 24, 2015
hahn:

Then they should come and carry out experiments here in Nigeria. We don't respect ethics and there are lots of jobless people, on nl politics section for instance, that will be good as lab rats. grin
ah lol

(1) (Reply)

Pls How Much Can I Use To Fix My Broken Television Screen / I Cant Use My Gtb Mastercard To Pay Online,what Could Be The Problem? / Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.