Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,697 members, 7,802,057 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

Discrimination Against Women In Nigeria - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Discrimination Against Women In Nigeria (28389 Views)

How Infidelity Landed Some Nigerian Men And Women In Hospitals / "Women Against Feminism Or Women Against Women": A Feminist View / Women In STEM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Go Down)

Re: Discrimination Against Women In Nigeria by TV01(m): 1:13am On Oct 25, 2015
LordReed:

Here are the clauses:

353. Any person who unlawfully and indecently assaults any male person is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for three years. The offender cannot be arrested without warrant.

360. Any person who unlawfully and indecently assaults a woman or girl is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years.

If giving women lighter sentence is discriminatory then what do you call this?
Cracky already answered this here; https://www.nairaland.com/2683426/discrimination-against-women-nigeria/6#39316625

It is likely that the assault on the woman would be considered "prosecutable" at a lower level than an assault on a man. Also misdemeanours are typically not punished by jail time - but fines/cautions, kind of buttressing my point. This law may actually mean that the levels of violence against a man have to be relatively high to warrant criminal prosecution - hence actually discriminating against men cheesy!

Again, this is at play in the UK today. a Man will be arrested on allegations of even light violence - i.e. a single slap or push - against a woman. This is were there is no physical evidence, or witnesses or where the womans story is falsifiable - that is she demonstrably lied. As long as she insists, the man will be arrested and processed. This is not what I read or was told. I saw it live and it was explained to me by the arresting officer.

I repeat, no one sat down to wilfully codify discrimination against women into the constitution. At worst, they codified the already agreed social norms. Anything viewed as discrimination against one sex would almost certainly have a corollary against the other.

Men have always viewed themselves as the protectors of womens virtue/honour. Even now, if a man physically attacks a woman, it's other men who will take him on, physically if they have too. It's wired women know, expect and play on it.

Hence my reading above; touch a woman, even slightly, and you are facing jail time. You'd have to do a lot more seriously damage to a man to risk prosecution.

Best drop this one dude wink!

TV
Re: Discrimination Against Women In Nigeria by bellong: 1:47am On Oct 25, 2015
Mindfulness:

Yes BUT it is not enough to ask for rights. No rights without responsibilities. Fair enough!

Thank you for this...

Jubril Sarah had contested for president twice, how many women supported her?

A female Professor contested in the last election, 85% of those that supported and campaigned for her were men yet these females come here to complain.

Ask them what have they ever done to fight this discrimination other come online for cyber war.

Until women in Nigeria and diaspora take themselves seriously, there is nothing the men can do to help them. This is the 21st century, they have all the resources and law to fight discrimination.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12)

Parents Gave Their Baby A Snake To Play With Since They Can't Afford Toys / How Can I Stop My Uncles From Selling My Father's Property(land)? / "Ese Should Abort Her Pregnancy" - Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.