Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (666988 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 22, 2015
OkutaNla:

Lagos
GDP
• Year 2010
• Total US$74.67 billion[9]
• Per capita $5,573[10]

Oyo
GDP (PPP)
• Year 2007
• Total $16,12 billion[4]
• Per capita $2,666[4]

Ogun
GDP (PPP)
• Year 2007
• Total $10.47 billion[1]
• Per capita $2,740[1]

Ondo
GDP (PPP)
• Year 2007
• Total $8.41 billion[1]
• Per capita $2,392[1]

Osun
GDP (PPP)
• Year 2007
• Total $7.28 billion[2]
• Per capita $2,076[2]

Ekiti
GDP (PPP)
• Year 2007
• Total $2.85 billion[1]
• Per capita $1,169[1]

Source: Wikipedia

Which one are we going to settle for then.Billion dollars no be beans ooo, remember every tominwa,dike and haruna can post on Wikipedia
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiander: 11:24pm On Oct 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
For those who do not know,this is the Official GDP of all southwest states.

GDP in the Southwestern Region of Nigeria
The Region contributes about 35% of the country’s GDP estimated at $180bn, out of which Lagos State contributes 72% at $129bn and other States sharing the remaining $51bn.

Ekiti ---------- N3.5bn
Lagos ------- N129bn
Ogun -------- N5.3bn
Ondo -------- N28.32bn
Osun -------- N3.54bn
Oyo --------- N8.85bn

I got this from DAWN Commission's facebook page

wait, the list doesn't seem right.

Ogun or Oyo should come after Lagos state in terms of gdp.

As per dawn commission, why dawn, is that not the Biafran symbol?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiander: 11:25pm On Oct 22, 2015
WIZGUY69:

shocked Egbon!

Please recheck that of ondo again. 28b

how comes?

people have started with their mischief o.

what is this dawn commission?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 11:26pm On Oct 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

I've said this several times,the only way we might be able to achieve that is with our votes.Any party that's not ready to give us this then we won't vote for it but the problem here is the southwest hardly speaks with one voice, maybe if all south-west states are unified by a single party,then we might have a head way.True federalism or seccession is not achieved on Nairaland

We can discuss SW politics in another thread. tongue

True Federalism and or resource control is the only way for Nigeria to achieve its dreams of greatness.

What we have presently is just a complete waste of time.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 22, 2015
tpiander:

wait, the list doesn't seem right.

Ogun or Oyo should come after Lagos state in terms of gdp.

As per dawn commission, why dawn, is that not the Biafran symbol?

Anything coming from DAWN Commission is fact! and where did you see biafran symbol?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiander: 11:27pm On Oct 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
These GDP figures prove Ondo state is extremely underrated.Everyone's attention is focused on Oyo,Ogun forgetting the fact that Ondo state produces the most Cocoa and not forgetting Oil.I even heard mimiko wants to turn Ondo state into a Chocolate manufacturing hub

please delete that your gdp post, it's misleading.

you'll just get people rushing there for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiander: 11:27pm On Oct 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Anything coming from DAWN Commission is fact! and where did you see biafran symbol?

who or what is dawn commission?

is dawn or setting sun not a Biafran symbol?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 22, 2015
tpiander:

please delete that your gdp post, it's misleading.

you'll just get people rushing there for nothing.

Who be this na! I take God beg you please don't derail the thread

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OkutaNla: 11:29pm On Oct 22, 2015
Akure Dome (Under construction)

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 11:30pm On Oct 22, 2015
tpiander:

people have started with their mischief o.

what is this dawn commission?

I have forgotten the full meaning of DAWN, but it's a very reliable organization.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by wytecat: 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2015
I thought without traffic one could make it to ibadan in 1hr from Lagos and make it to lets say many parts of Osun in another 1hr. Train will even cut it to 3/4 of the time.

Most people do that already spending hours in traffic within Lagos anyway. So living where rent is cheap and making Lagos money will get so many moving.

modath:

By osun I believe the limit is ikire or gbogan, you definitely can't be referring to Ikeji arakeji. cheesy

On a more serious note though, with high speed train, IFe is doable....only that it won't be an everyday kind of Job.

I feel for you lagosians, oluwa a fi ere si ise gbogbo yin..

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2015
WIZGUY69:

I have forgotten the full meaning of DAWN, but it's a very reliable organization.

Development Agenda for Western Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2015
OkutaNla:
Akure Dome (Under construction)

I love the architectural design.
One of a kind.

In other news, Mayfair round about (Ife at night )

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 11:33pm On Oct 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Development Agenda for Western Nigeria

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 11:36pm On Oct 22, 2015
My State's capital (Ado)
The greenery of this place is superb cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 11:37pm On Oct 22, 2015
Nice thread guys.

I will be sharing some broad and robust ideas tomorrow.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:38pm On Oct 22, 2015
modath:

Ilesa's major gold deposit is not being exploited,I heard it's one chinese coy that is doing illegal mining.....

Maybe we can start a campaign to get the appropriate people involved..

Trust me even in Ibarapa,jet lis collaborate with locals to mine tourmalines.Its pathetic! and the jet lis take the lion share of the gains

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by ERODEDEAST(f): 11:38pm On Oct 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Seriously its 28b,i'm surprised too.It means Ondo state after lagos is the southwest state that contributes most to the Federation account My state got oyel na.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 22, 2015
[quote author=ERODEDEAST post=39260298][/quote]

Which state is that?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OkutaNla: 11:43pm On Oct 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Which one are we going to settle for then.Billion dollars no be beans ooo, remember every tominwa,dike and haruna can post on Wikipedia

Actually I think the figures are close, at best (though they are old) but may suffice for on the absence of more recent data. Here are data for other states:

ABIA
GDP (PPP)
- Total
- Per capita 2007 estimate
$8.69 billion[1]
$3,003[1]

Adamawa
Population
- 2005 (estimate)
- 1991 Census
Ranked 21 of 36
GDP (PPP)
- Total
- Per capita 2007
$4.58 billion[1]
$1,417[1]

Akwa Ibom
GDP (PPP)
-Total
-Per Capita 2007 (estimate)
$11.18 billion[1]
$2,779[1]

Anambra
Population
- 2006 Census¹
- 2005 (estimate)
- 1991 Census
- Density (2006) Ranked 10 of 36
N/A
863/km²
GDP (PPP)
- Total
- Per capita 2007
$6.76 billion[1]
$1,585[1]

Bauchi
GDP (PPP)
- Total
- Per capita 2007
$4.71 billion[1]
$983[1]

Bayelsa
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$4.34 billion[1]
$2,484[1]

Benue
Population
1991 Census
2005 estimate Ranked 7th
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$6.86 billion[1]
$1,592[1]

Borno--
Population
1991 Census
2005 estimate Ranked 12th
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$5.18 billion[1]
$1,214[1]

Cross River State
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$9.29 billion[1]
$3,150[1]

Delta
Population
1991 Census
2005 estimate Ranked 9th
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$16.75 billion[1]
$3,990[1]

Ebonyi
Population
1991 Census
2005 estimate Ranked N/A
N/A
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$2.73 billion[1]
$1,232[1]

Edo
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$11.89 billion[1]
$3,623[1]

Ekiti
Population
1991 Census
2005 estimate Ranked 29th
N/A
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$2.85 billion[1]
$1,169[1]

Gombe
Population 2006 est. Ranked 33rd
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$2.50 billion[1]
$1,036[1]

Kwara
Population
1991 Census
2005 estimate Ranked 31st
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$3.84 billion[1]
$1,585[1]

Kaduna
Population
2006 Census
1991 Census Ranked 3rd
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$10.33 billion[1]
$1,666[1]

Niger State
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$6.00 billion[1]
$1,480[1]

Rivers State
GDP (PPP)
- Total
- Per capita 2007
$21.07 billion[1]
$3,965[1]

Sokoto
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$4.82 billion[1]
$1,274[1]

Kano
GDP (PPP)
- Total
- Per capita 2007
$12.39 billion[1]
$1,288[1]

Taraba
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$3.40 billion[1]
$1,446[1]

Jigawa
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$2.99 billion[1]
$673[1]

Zamfara
Population
1991 Census
2005 est. Ranked 23rd
N/A
GDP (PPP)
-Total
$4.12 billion[1]
$1,237[1]

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 11:44pm On Oct 22, 2015
The Oyo state Governor Senator Abiola Ajimobi has reiterated the readiness of his administration to partner with South Africa in the areas of Agriculture, trade and Investment.
Governor Ajimobi stated this while receiving the South African consul-General Ambassador MOKGETHI SAM MONAISA and his team at the Governor office Agodi Ibadan.
The Governor who describe the State as a strategic location for investors explained that Oyo State is blessed with natural endowment such as arable land, large deposit of marble and granite which he said would attract Investors from South Africa.
He added that his administration is committed to structuring an agricultural relationship with South Africa which he said would add value to the agricultural production capability of the State.
He expressed readiness to leverage on the visit of the ambassador to establish a concrete relationship with South African investors.
Earlier in his remarks the South African consul-General Ambassador Sam Monaisa said the South African Government would be willing to partner with Oyo State in the areas of Education, Agriculture, Trade and Investment.
He pointed out that the existing relationship that has lingered over the years coupled with the economic advantages in Oyo State will compel South Africa to initiate a bilateral relationship with Oyo State Government.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by ERODEDEAST(f): 11:54pm On Oct 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

[b]Which state is that?
My mother is from Ajowa Akoko.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 23, 2015
ERODEDEAST:
My mother is from Ajowa Akoko.

[b]Haha! that's exactly where i'm from.Sister how much is your bride price? we need to arrange that wedding asap

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 23, 2015
OkutaNla:

Actually I think the figures are close, at best (though they are old) but may suffice for on the absence of more recent data. Here are data for other states:

That list is not current though.The one i posted is the most current one,the wikipedia one is 2007
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by ERODEDEAST(f): 12:04am On Oct 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Haha! that's exactly where i'm from.Sister how much is your bride price? we need to arrange that wedding asap
wink Sharp Man well Alright to ya ministry am from Ojo
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 23, 2015
This should have been my first post

Southwest Nigeria: The Yoruba Nation

The Western Region of Nigeria, otherwise known as the Yoruba Nation, has been a nation known for landmark achievements that has placed it ahead of the others and has transformed it into an egalitarian society that it is today.

Towards the tail end of the Nigerian Colonial rule the Yoruba have left none in doubt about its readiness to pioneer development strategies that would liberate the region from the quagmire of illiteracy, poverty, deprivation and poor healthcare system. With the advent of self-governance the region’s free education scheme which, unarguably, was the first of its type in the African continent was introduced. Suffice to say that not a few of the leading lights in Nigeria today are products of this initiative.

The corollary of this initiative is the establishment of the foremost tertiary institutions in Nigeria namely;

The University of Ibadan and the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), as well as the first Teaching Hospital in West Africa; The University College Hospital (UCH).
The Western Region also boasts of the first Television Station in Africa; The Western Nigeria Television (WNTV) established ahead of many European countries, including France.

How about the first skyscraper in Nigeria; The Monumental Cocoa House, the first modern Stadium; The Liberty Stadium, the first five-star Hotel; The Premier Hotel, just to mention a few.

It is pertinent to note that in those glorious years the Western Regional Government paid its workers higher wages than other Regions, and even higher than what the Federal Government offered its workers. With the establishment of farm settlements to boost agricultural production the economy of the Region boomed, thereby promoting prosperity and well-being in both rural and urban areas of the region.

The late Premier of the Region, a Nationalist and Statesman par Excellence, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, was the moving spirit behind these laudable monumental developments.

Unfortunately, the laudable march of progress which was destined to propel the old Western Region into, as it were, a Superpower was truncated by a prolonged military rule, as well as actions or inactions of some political leaders of the Region.

However, the restoration of democratic rule on May 29, 1999 brought renewed hopes of a reenactment of those glorious times of old but this is yet to translate the age-long vision into reality. This is where the collective effort of all the states constituting the Southwestern Nigeria namely; Ekiti, Lagos, Ondo, Ogun, Osun and Oyo States is needful.

This is the fulcrum of the Southwest Regional Integration Programme, otherwise known as the Development Agenda for Western Nigeria (DAWN), under the institutional management of DAWN Commission.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 12:11am On Oct 23, 2015
superstar1:
Nice thread guys.

I will be sharing some broad and robust ideas tomorrow.
A really nice thread for omoluabis...
I would be posting some achies,pros,cons etc...

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:12am On Oct 23, 2015
ERODEDEAST:
wink Sharp Man well Alright to ya ministry am from Ojo

√ Let me speak with my Ogas at the top whether they approve it

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:16am On Oct 23, 2015
Osun, France sign N8bn solar plant agreement

Osun Government and France have signed an agreement to build a 35million Euros (N8 billion) 13 megawatts solar plant in the state.

Stephane Gompertz, France’s Ambassador for Climate Change, said in Abuja on Sunday that the project was the first of such magnitude to be signed in Nigeria.

Gompertz said the agreement was signed on Friday by the Osun Governor, Mr Rauf Aregbesola and a French company, Vergnet, adding that France was supporting Nigeria in the area of renewable energy.

“As far as new and renewable energy are concerned, the French Agency for Development helps finance through credits, projects in new and renewable energy.

“On Friday morning, I was with the French Ambassador in Abuja. We were received by the Governor of Osun State. We signed an agreement with a French company called Vergnet.

“Vergnet will build a solar plant of 13 megawatts, which is quite big for a solar plant. And as far as I am concerned, this is the first project of such magnitude to be signed here in Nigeria.

“There will be other bigger projects going up to 50 or even 100 megawatts,” he said.

Gompertz said France had supported Nigeria’s power sector through its contracts and also through loans from the French Development Agency (AFD).

He explained that the agreement to build the solar power plant also included training component to encourage transfer of technology.

According to him, the more we develop new technologies, the more people are trained to manage or to invent those technologies, and this will on the long run contribute to the development.

He noted that in 2009, the Federal Government had assigned Vergnet to establish a wind farm of 10 megawatts in Katsina state for more than 20 million Euros (about N4.5 billion).

The envoy said the farm, with 37 windmills, should start producing and be connected to the grid in the beginning of 2016.

According to him, the French group, TOTAL, is also willing to develop a solar energy project in Katsina state.

But how important is this to Osun state at the moment.Misplaced priorities smh.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by jstbeinhonest(m): 12:20am On Oct 23, 2015
wow,3pages already. Op pls do not abandon this thread ooo.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by wytecat: 12:22am On Oct 23, 2015
Breathtakingly beautiful!!!
WIZGUY69:

I love the architectural design.
One of a kind.

In other news, Mayfair round about (Ife at night )

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:24am On Oct 23, 2015
WIZGUY69:
The Oyo state Governor Senator Abiola Ajimobi has reiterated the readiness of his administration to partner with South Africa in the areas of Agriculture, trade and Investment.
Governor Ajimobi stated this while receiving the South African consul-General Ambassador MOKGETHI SAM MONAISA and his team at the Governor office Agodi Ibadan.
The Governor who describe the State as a strategic location for investors explained that Oyo State is blessed with natural endowment such as arable land, large deposit of marble and granite which he said would attract Investors from South Africa.
He added that his administration is committed to structuring an agricultural relationship with South Africa which he said would add value to the agricultural production capability of the State.
He expressed readiness to leverage on the visit of the ambassador to establish a concrete relationship with South African investors.
Earlier in his remarks the South African consul-General Ambassador Sam Monaisa said the South African Government would be willing to partner with Oyo State in the areas of Education, Agriculture, Trade and Investment.
He pointed out that the existing relationship that has lingered over the years coupled with the economic advantages in Oyo State will compel South Africa to initiate a bilateral relationship with Oyo State Government.

Ajimobi is always signing documents lol.I have about four different links of ajimobi signing deals with foreign countries but i still give him kudos though,he's doing well to restore Oyo state's lost glory

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.