Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:04 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (293) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (666928 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 10:43am On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

Bwahahahahahaha

Women, fear women. grin

That's why we love them. grin

On the flip-side, if a man has £5 left on him and a woman ask for the £5 - he'll give it to her. lipsrsealed

You darn right!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos:
Dude,
I just saw the Ojude Oba festival post from Sept. I love the diffetent fraternities and sororities and their colors....that was a show!

Where is ....who was asking about Kosoko earlier? Go and read about Kosoko and Fidipote and how they ganged up and almost succeed in banishing British from this land . What a coincidence, just talked about it.

So the Dyvkson must hisvfather name if the mother is from Ijebu.

Personally, I believe if Oyo hadn't collapsed and the Benin hadn't declined and, with the coastal forces - the Yorubas and Binis combined would've repelled the British forces with ease.

White folks are smart - they moved in when everything was in disarray and fought one small group after the other - with the help of other groups/Africans/blacks. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 10:49am On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

This is it (over two hours of soft jazz for you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivJrE_Wory0

Thank you Duke!

At the rate you are going you gonna be coronated Fidipote III.

Lol.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Thank you Duke!

At the rate you are going you gonna be coronated Fidipote III.

Lol.

Lool.

I'm in as long as I can get 200 Ibadan wives with the crown and retain my dukedom as the duke of Ibadan chics.

I can juggle both. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 10:55am On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

Personally, I believe if Oyo hadn't collapsed and the Benin hadn't declined and, with the coastal forces - the Yorubas and Binis combined would've repelled the British forces with ease.

White folks are smart - they moved in when everything was in disarray and fought one small group after the other - with the help of other groups/Africans/blacks. grin

You know I was just toying with the idea that if those two had received support from a thrid kingdom who could fight on water and in the creeks and swamps Britain wouldve got a whipping.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 11:00am On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

Lool.

I'm in as long as I can get 200 Ibadan wives with the crown and retain my dukedom as the duke of Ibadan chics.

I can juggle both. grin

You have all the Ibadan girls you can have my brother! 200?? I thought 72 is what the scripture prescribes.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 11:00am On Nov 22, 2015
tpiadotcom:

um , no, sorry to disappoint you but akata is not from Yoruba.

check Congo.

Ireke meaning sugar cane has nothing to do with the discussion. Both words have k in them but so does black.

Why do you have a knack for jumping into conversations sideways, before outlining tpia-esque parameters with all the haughtiness in the world?
"check Congo" for what? Explain yourself. angry
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:00am On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos:

You know I was just toying with the idea that if those two had received support from a thrid kingdom who could fight on water and in the creeks and swamps Britain wouldve got a whipping.

Big arse-whopping.

What most people don't know is that: the British forces that conquered Nigeria were mostly blacks, from other West African countries and the Caribbean. And they never had more than three cannons for every expedition.

They were very strategic with the use of firepower and preyed on groups based on how isolated they're. A combined forces with a large army, on different fronts would've repelled them.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos:

You have all the Ibadan girls you can have my brother! 200?? I thought 72 is what the scripture prescribes.

Lol.

72 is for Islam and Arabs.

200 is for Yoruba consciousness, hence Pa Fashola sired over a century kids - a nation. grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tupacshakur(m): 11:10am On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:
foyeks2001

My Osun sister, when are you going to bless this thread and form a bond with ya Osun brothers like: superstar1, zimoni, 9jacrip, tupacshakur, et al?

We need more females in here to spice things up.

Prof...

It seems these females ain't disposed to chumming up with Nairaland guys.

...yet to hear from Candy, you know.

This is the second time your "linking" has hit a dead end. grin. May be I should just give up on ever meeting a female on here.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos

Sir, I saw a question you asked Katsumoto yesterday about what started Kiriji wars. And I know Katsumoto also highlighted his fears on this thread about folks re-igniting old rivalries in a Yoruba country.

So, I think folks who know a lot on the background story about the Kiriji wars need to educate us on what started the wars and highlight what made the war a war of rivalry - and not a war caused by the power vacuum created by the collapse of Oyo.

Personally, based on my scholarship thus far: I think the wars had more to do with power vacuum and if Oyo hadn't collapsed, there would've never been Kiriji wars. And that's not synonymous with Yorubas alone - it happened in all ancient cultures and folks moved on after power was restored. When the Roman empire collapsed - it also created a power vacuum everywhere the Roman ruled. Internecine wars became the order of the day. England is a classic example and all the wars fought by the different invaders, albeit from the same ethnic group/stock, exemplifies that. Heck, even the Saxons fought amongst themselves. However, once they were able to formulate one general language and fall under one control system - everyone got along perfectly.

cc: aareonakakanfo/cabbieAC
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ghost01(m): 11:21am On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

It's not a connection about them having Yoruba names - they're pure Yorubas like the other Yoruba subgroups. However, due to how ridiculously dumb and illiterate those who created the different geopolitical zones in Nigeria, or perhaps due to politics - they were zoned with the Northern region. The same way they created a "South South" region that doesn't exist in geography.

Hopefully, when Nigeria is restructured - they will be zoned with other Yorubas into one region. While the Baribas, Igbirras, and Nupes would get zoned to Middle Belt with Igalas, Jukuns, Idomas, and all the other groups that used to be part of the Kwararafa kingdom. Then the Itsekiris would also be zoned to joined Yorubas - while the Ijaws and Edos in Ondo would go the other way.
And the Nupe indigenes of Lagos Island?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 22, 2015
tupacshakur:

Prof...

It seems these females ain't disposed to chumming up with Nairaland guys.

...yet to hear from Candy, you know.

This is the second time your "linking" has hit a dead end. grin. May be I should just give up on ever meeting a female on here.

Loool

Brev, you need to be patient. Perhaps she wasn't online yesterday.

She already gave you the big "greenlight", all you need to do now is a follow-up and be on the look out whenever she's online and do what it do.

You just have to be patient and play the long waiting game. Some chics don't like being rushed, and they prefer playing hard to get. grin

Candy isn't a dead end, she doesn't mind chatting to you.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 22, 2015
Ghost01:
And the Nupe indigenes of Lagos Island?

What Nupe indigenes?

You mean Nupe slaves/warriors who're now Yorubas?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ghost01(m): 11:29am On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

What Nupe indigenes?

You mean Nupe slaves/warriors who're now Yorubas?
Izzatso? Heard they are today one of the ruling houses on the Island?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 22, 2015
Ghost01:
Izzatso? Heard they are today one of the ruling houses on the Island?

I honestly doubt it. Then again I don't know much about the ruling houses of the Island - Mayoroflagos should help you with that. I'm only conversant with the Idejo Chiefs.

However, I do know the Dawodus from the Island (there's a next Dawodu from Ikorodu who're Ijebus) have Nupe ancestry. I know an uncle out here who's from that bloodline. But they're Yorubas now.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:38am On Nov 22, 2015
tupacshakur:

Full barn? Trying to figure out what that means in this context. grin

Got no time OR Candy has a lot of suitors making tupacshakur inconsequential. Which, please?

You know, we could create a thread titled "Tupacshakur and Candy" and chat away on it or possibly chat on google talk or Yahoo messenger. What do you think?

Are you a writer? Did you write those stories posted by you?
I'm so flattered, my dear brover! But this lady is so taken...married with lovely kids.

And yes, I'm a writer, wrote all my stories and planning to write more by God's grace. Have a wonderful sunday and a great week ahead.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ghost01(m): 11:44am On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

I honestly doubt it. Then again I don't know much about the ruling houses of the Island - Mayoroflagos should help you with that. I'm only conversant with the Idejo Chiefs.

However, I do know the Dawodus from the Island (there's a next Dawodu from Ikorodu who're Ijebus) have Nupe ancestry. I know an uncle out here who's from that bloodline. But they're Yorubas now.
Ok.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 22, 2015
Loool.

Now, I'm sorry, my thugmagnificent brother, tupacshakur. I keep linking you with married women. grin

And I can't give you one of my e-wives cos I already paid for the e-satin in their e-thongs. lipsrsealed

Err...while we wait for, foyeks2001, I think dollyak isn't bad. She definitely needs someone like you to look after her.

I'll definitely help you find one soon, bruddah.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 11:47am On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

There is a lot of evidence that supports your very first post.

I've got some Nupe ancestry by way of a great-grandmother (on the father's side), so I always keep an eye out for any useful material.

"Aiye gba Tapa, o kole Igunnu" grin - Out of complacency in Oshodi Lagos, they established a masquerade (Interesting take here: Census 2006 Counts Some Out Of Lagos Again -- http://www.gamji.com/article5000/NEWS5769.htm).

Aljharem's backgrounder, which was culled from a website that has now gone offline, also provides some illumination....

aljharem:
Chief Balogun Landuji Oshodi Tapa was an outstanding warrior and a statesman. During the reign of King Eshilokun, he immigrated to Lagos from Bida in what is now known as the Niger State. This was after he had lost his parents in a tribal war when he was only six years old. He put himself under the protection of the King as his servant in order to prevent himself from being taken and sold into slavery. The King in turn put him under the supervision of one of his trusted men, Fagbemi.

Some years later, one of the Portuguese merchants, a friend of King Eshilokun, asked the king to let two of his children accompany him to Portugal and he promised to bring them back. The King was very wary of this offer and he thought instead of risking the lives of any of his own children, he would offer two people loyal to him. Hence he chose Oshodi and Dada Antonio to go with the Portuguese merchant.

While the King thought he was protecting the interests of his own children, he was in fact denying them an opportunity that would have benefited them more in the future.

Oshodi and Dada Antonio went with the Portuguese merchant to America and they were later returned to the King after many years.

On arrival from America, Oshodi was employed by Messrs. G. L. Gaiser as a Commission Agent and Toll Collector. With the arrival of the ships of the Portuguese merchants, business flourished, and Oshodi’s commissions from sales increased and he eventually became a rich man. Oshodi never forgot the hands that fed him, so to speak; he continued to be loyal to the King and was made a chief solely responsible for looking after the King’s wives. He was the only one who could go into the Queen’s apartment to oversee repairs, if the need arose.

After the death of King Eshinlokun, Chief Oshodi remained loyal to his children. He particularly cast his lot with Idewu Ojulari who succeeded his father. After the reign of Chief Idewu Ojulari, Kosoko, a son of Oshinlokun, was said to be the rightful heir to the throne, but he was an enemy of Chief Eletu Odibo, whose duty was to install and crown any new king. It was said at the time, that young Prince Kosoko had seduced Eletu Odibo’s would-be wife. In retaliation, Eletu Odibo used his powerful position to crown Oluwole as the next King of Lagos in 1836.

Kosoko and other descendants of King Eshilokun were not satisfied with the decision

and were ready to show their resentment. They waged a war against King Oluwole and Chief Eletu Odibo. Kosoko and his warriors invaded Isale-Eko. The battle was fierce and prolonged but ended with victory on the side of the king’s army. Kosoko fled to Whydah, realizing the consequences of his action.

When King Oluwole died, Akitoye was crowned in 1841 as the next King of Lagos.

Conscious of the right of Kosoko to the throne, Akitoye justly decided to search for Kosoko his nephew, who had taken refuge in Whydah. He believed that he must enjoy his patronage while on the throne. Akitoye organized a search party under the command of bold and gallant Chief Oshodi. The rapidity with which the party achieved its success was directly related to the military might of Chief Oshodi.

Kosoko finally returned to Lagos with Chief Oshodi in a vessel belonging to a merchant called, Domingo.

Henceforth, Chief Oshodi worked to maintain peace between Kosoko and Akintoye, and eventually brought the two together on terms. The peace effort was thwarted by Chief Eletu Odibo who had employed all the persuasive words he could, to dissuade King Akitoye from bringing Kosoko back to Lagos. He believed that Lagos would not contain the two of them. For a while, he did all he could to create conflicts between them, but later left Lagos for exile in Badagry.

When a war broke out between King Akitoye and Kosoko, Chief Oshodi loyally pitched his tent with Kosoko, the son of Eshilokun, through thick and thin. Akitoye asked Eletu Odibo to return to Lagos with his warriors to fight on his side. Akitoye’s men led by Eletu Odibo were soundly defeated. Eletu Odibo was captured in an ambush and killed.

With the death of Eletu Odibo, the elders advised Akitoye to escape to his mother’s town in Abeokuta. When Kosoko heard about the plan, he detailed his war chief, Oshodi, to lay ambush for Akitoye, kill him, and bring his head before him. Akitoye was in fact caught by Oshodi in the Agboyi waters, but instead of killing him, he paid homage to him and his Lord and prayed for his safe journey and safe return.

Chief Oshodi returned to report to Kosoko that Akitoye had escaped by the use of a powerful charm which put them all to sleep when he was passing. Historians were not able to assign any reason for the treatment which Oshodi gave Akitoye when in fact he was on orders to bring his head to Kosoko. In 1845, Kosoko defeated Akitoye and ascended the throne. In the meantime, Chief Oshodi remained Kosoko’s “Abagbon” war chief.

While in exile, Akitoye appealed to the British Government for help to restore him to his throne. A war broke out; the British started to bombard Lagos, setting the town on fire. Kosoko’s defense under the command of Chief Oshodi was effective and modern by the international standard of the time. After nine days of consecutive serious military actions, the British fleet unleashed excessive gun power which resulted in the defeat of Kosoko’s fleet. Under this unfavorable condition, Kosoko had to flee to Epe with Chief Oshodi and his warriors on the night of the13th of August 1853.

Akitoye was brought back to Lagos by the British Consul and was restored as the King of Lagos. Akitoye died on the 2nd of September 1853, about two weeks after Kosoko and his men had fled. In the afternoon of September 3rd, 1853, his son, Dosunmu was formally installed as the King of Lagos.

Although the war seemed to have ended with Kosoko in exile, there were sporadic raids on Lagos from Epe; disturbing the peace and trade of the island. The raids caused the British Consul Campbell, the Elders, and White Cap chiefs of Lagos, to initiate a move to reconcile the warring royal relatives.

On the 26th of January 1854, a peace conference, historically known as Langbasa meeting, was held at Agbekin (Palaver Island) about four months after King Dosunmu’s coronation. The British Consul’s party included the Commander of HMS Plato with other officers under his command, and Kosoko’s party which included Chief Oshodi Tapa and Chief Onisemo Adeburusi of Epe. They came without Kosoko in about sixty canoes each containing forty men. King Dosunmu was represented by several white cap chiefs and war chiefs.

At the opening of this remarkable conference, the Epe people, led by Chief Oshodi Tapa expressed their strong desire to return to Lagos a to the British Consul and be at peace with their friends and relatives. Chief Oshodi proposed that Kosoko be allowed to return to Lagos and live as a private person.

The proposal was not agreeable to the Consul on the basis that two Kings could not rein in Lagos. As an appeasement, Chief Oshodi was offered to return alone as the Consul for the people of Epe, but he declined the offer and insisted on Kosoko’s return from exile. Several years later in 1862, Kosoko was allowed back to Lagos with his war chief, after signing a peace treaty negotiated with the British Consul by Chief Oshodi.

Governor Glover was very grateful for Chief Oshodi’s contributions to peace in Lagos.

On their arrival to Lagos, Governor Glover sought permission from Aromire to give part of Epetedo to Chief Oshodi. For himself, his family, his followers, and servants who returned with him from Epe, he held the area under the native customary law of land tenure, subject to the native system of the devolution of land.

The palace of Oshodi is located in the center of the area of land in Epetedo. The area is uniquely laid out into 21 compounds. Four of these compounds; Oshodi, Akinyemi, Ewumi, and Alagbede courts belong exclusively to Chief Balogun Oshodi’s extended family.

For the most notable and extraordinary role of Chief Oshodi in the restoration of peace to Lagos and his contribution to the Government of Lagos, he was presented by Governor Glover on the Lagos Race Course grounds with a sword from Mr. Cardwell, the Secretary of State to the British Government. The sword was inscribed “presented by the Government of Queen Victoria to Chief Tapa in commemoration of the loyal services rendered by him to the Government of Lagos”

With his background of having been to America, Oshodi did not miss the opportunity to educate his children. He solicited Governor Glover to educate one of his children in England. This child later assumed the surname of Oshodi-Glover.

Chief Balogun Oshodi Tapa died on 2nd of July1868 about six years after his return from exile in Epe, leaving forty six surviving children. His body was laid to rest at the center of Oshodi Street in Epetedo, Lagos. The descendants of Chief Oshodi constructed an imposing edifice at his burial site, as a monument to the memory of the renowned warlord, peacemaker, and statesman. This monument has been classified as a historic site by the Lagos State Government.

It remains unclear how the ruling houses were determined by the Chieftaincy Committee under the Obas and Chiefs Law of the century. Nevertheless, the following are the twelve ruling houses in the Oshodi Tapa Chieftaincy according to the Registered Declaration:

Ruling Houses:

1. Feyishitan

2. Eshugbayi

3. Fatusi

4. Obadimeji

5. Jose

6. Lagbayi

7. Sakariyawo

8. Amore

9. Ewumi

10. Kobile

11. Modina

12. Alli-Igunnu

In the event of a vacancy, the order of rotation is as above, starting from Feyishitan Ruling House having taken into account those ruling houses that had produced chiefs after Chief Balogun Oshodi Tapa.

http://www.oshodi.org/history/balogun.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 22, 2015
OnReflection:

There is a lot of evidence that supports your very first post.

I've got some Nupe ancestry by way of a great-grandmother (on the father's side), so I always keep an eye out for any useful material.

"Aiye gba Tapa, o kole Igunnu" grin - Out of complacency in Oshodi Lagos, they established a masquerade (Interesting take here: Census 2006 Counts Some Out Of Lagos Again -- http://www.gamji.com/article5000/NEWS5769.htm).

Aljharem's backgrounder, which was culled from a website that has now gone offline, also provides some illumination....

Thanks a lot, Sir.

Insightful.

Funny enough, I always thought the Oshodis have Bini ancestry. Now I know better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 11:58am On Nov 22, 2015
Can't stop loving this thread.

Once again, may God bless Aare and his lineage.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 22, 2015
Bluetooth2

We need you on here to drop some jewels on Egba history and how Abeokuta was created, bruddah.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 12:12pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

Thanks a lot, Sir.

Insightful.

Funny enough, I always thought the Oshodis have Bini ancestry. Now I know better.

Bruv, based on anecdotal observation, I would argue that Nupe folks are more territorial and ambitious than people recognise. Although largely disenfranchised within the current federal structure, I find their hussle admirable.
In fact, I recall once repping a thread on these boards - where they laid claim to being the fourth most populous ethnic group in the country. grin

Now while I have always acknowledged that bit of my ancestry and responded to any misdirected missives (when I am propelled by unidentified Nupe warrior genes), it was with some alarm that I read Abdullahi's revisionist account of history (copied in below). On reading the sections I highlighted, I had little choice but to summon the cavalry - Abdullahi had taken chicanery too far. Check out the way he negated Ife's contributions to the art and tell me you are not similarly offended.

NUPE AS EPICENTRE OF NIGERIAN ARTS

March 31, 2014 by Staff Writer
By Oji Onoko

He wears two caps: Secretary, Nupe Culture & Resource Centre, Bida and Head, Reseach & Documentation, Governor’s office, Minna, Niger State. Though a medical doctor by training, Ndagi Abdullahi has spent several years researching not into medicine as many would expect but the Nupe Culture and Arts! And he has several published books on various aspects of Nupe Culture to show for it. So it was only fitting that he was the Guest Speaker at the maiden Nupe Art Conference/Exhibition organised by the National Gallery of Art, NGA, penultimate week in Bida, Niger State among others.

The topic was simple enough- “Nupe Arts: A Renaissance.” But what a stir Ndagi Abdullahi caused when he declared that the ancient Nupe Arts was the origin of the famed Nok Culture, the Ife figurines and the Benin Art all rolled into one! “The ancient Nupe people were not just the masters of Arts, but they were by and large the originators of the Arts of ancient Nigeria,” he declared, adding: “The ancient Nok culture is now being discovered to have had its epicentre, and origin located in the Greater KinNupe of former times whence the culture actually spread to the Jos Plateau area where it is now associated with Kwai and Jos Tin mines!”

Quoting authorities to buttress his claim, he stressed that when Prof. Leo Frobenius first came across the Ife figurines in Yoruba land, he rightly predicted that the original centre of production of these figurines must be up North in the KinNupe general area since there was not any institutionalised background for the so called Ife figurines in Yoruba land and that Prof. Alan Ryder demonstrated far back in 1965 that the so called Ife bronzes are actually Nupe bronzes “since and as he proved, the ‘Ife bronzes’ were actually produced by the Nupe people!”

According to the guest speaker, Ryder and other scholars have remonstrated that the so called Ife bronzes actually predated the present city of Ife and that the Ile-Ife Yoruba have no tradition of bronze casting. “These scholars said that the so called Ife bronzes of today actually originated from KinNupe during the days of Prof. S. F. Nadel’s Bini Confederacy,” he emphasized. On Benin Art, he said Ryder and others also argued that Benin Art originated from KinNupe. “As a matter of fact, Captain Hugh Clapperton documented the fact that as late as the 1930s, the people of Benin and Nupe were the same one and the same Bini Nupe people,” he assrted.

Indeed, Dr. Ndagi Abdullahi postulates that the ancient Nupe people were such masters of high Arts and Craft that to this very day they continue to dominate the Arts horizon of the African world! “Every Art historian and student of sub-Saharan archaeology today knows that the most naturalistic and the greatest work of Art ever to come out of sub-Saharan Africa is the Tada Seated Figure popularly known as the Tsoede bronze. It’s asymmetrical and life size, naturalistic proportions made it unique and unparallel in African history,” he stated. According to him, Tony Craig of the Royal Arts Academy, UK, observed that “This figure shows such sophistication equal to European Renaissance sculpture of the same period so much that many refused to believe that it was the work of an African artist.”

Categorizing Nupe Arts into two broad areas- the general or mundane arts and the specialized or spiritual arts- he explained that the general or mundane arts are the recreational and occupational arts engaged by the generality of Nupe people, mostly the commoners while the specialized or spiritual arts are those that require specialized guilds of professionals, adding that the specialized arts of the ancient Nupe people were not for aesthetic reasons but were for spiritual purposes. “Culture and Spiritualism were inextricably interwoven in the life of the ancient Nupe people. The entire culture of the ancient Nupe people was spiritual in nature and that was why they were able to produce those artefacts that were of outstanding beauty and refinement.”

He traced the rise of Nupe Arts to as early as 2000 BC when KinNupe was a high centre of superlative Arts with the Nok culture taking root from it some 1500 BC. And by 500 AD, the Kisra people came with their spiritual arts including the Maltese Cross “and what is known today as the Northern knot or the Arewa symbol.” They were followed by the Akanda people with their Egbe dance and much later the Ife and Benin artefacts. He stated, however, that the decline in the production and exquisiteness of Nupe cultural artefacts began from the latter half of the second millennium and went spiralling down when the Muslim Jihadists and the Christian missionaries came and condemned most aspects of Nupe Arts as fetishism.

But Abdullahi was confident of the renaissance of Nupe Arts devoid of its spiritualism noting that “the spiritualism that drove Nupe arts, especially the specialized arts has long since been lost to history somewhere in the middle of the second millennium when foreign influences of Islam and Christianity became paramount in KinNupe.” What can be salvaged he pointed out are the aesthetic and materialistic aspects of ancient Nupe arts which includes performing arts, artefacts and craft like wood carving of stools and doors, weaving of mats, baskets, sacks and local fans with grasses, the various types of Nupe songs and musical genres and the Nupe martial arts among others. Going back to history, he recalled that when the Fulani became paramount rulers over the Nupe nation, they revived and reinvigorated ancient Nupe arts that were not driven by the ancient Nupe spiritualism of Eba, Sara or Gunnu but systematically concentrated skilled and specialized artisans into state orchestrated guilds in Bida from the late 1850s onwards. “That was what gave rise to the glass and brass works of Bida which are unparalleled throughout Africa today. The emergence of the powerful industries of glass, brass works, wood carving, bead making, etc, in Bida in the latter half of the 19th century right into the 20th century is a great testament to the fact that the ancient arts of Nupe people can be revived,” he surmised.

But why did the emerging arts of Nok culture, Benin masks and Ife bronzes become so popular while Nupe Arts which was the cradle remained at best obscure? Abdullahi was silent on this. This is a subject art scholars, critics and historians must interrogate…

* Onoko, author and journalist, writes from Lagos.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tupacshakur(m): 12:18pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:
Loool.

Now, I'm sorry, my thugmagnificent brother, tupacshakur. I keep linking you with married women. grin

And I can't give you one of my e-wives cos I already paid for the e-satin in their e-thongs. lipsrsealed

Err...while we wait for, foyeks2001, I think dollyak isn't bad. She definitely needs someone like you to look after her.

I'll definitely help you find one soon, bruddah.

grin grin grin

Shymmex, you sure ain't gonna put a brother in deep sh!t. grin

Married women? Magun is real, you know! Death is sure, no doubt, but I don't wish to exit the world via that route. grin

Henceforth, there's gonna be an extensive audit and background check (via checking of posts on Nairaland) on all potential chics before making moves on them.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tupacshakur(m): 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2015
Has anyone else noticed that this thread is exactly a month old today, 22/11/2015.

Just a month and it's going on 300 pages.

Aareonakakanfo, waa gbayi, baba!

Chop knuckle! You too much!

One bottle of Hennessy VSOP for you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by aljharem(m): 1:13pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

Thanks a lot, Sir.

Insightful.

Rather than give credit to the person that posted this you ave credit to Onerepublic angry

O kin se omo iya
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superduperjay: 1:16pm On Nov 22, 2015
OnReflection my friend is an oshodi and she told me her ancestors were from niger state I actually thought she was joking oo.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 1:35pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

Lol.

72 is for Islam and Arabs.

200 is for Yoruba consciousness, hence Pa Fashola sired over a century kids - a nation. grin

Lmao. That will be a lot of fckng and baby making. Theres always diaper and breast milk around the house.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superduperjay: 1:43pm On Nov 22, 2015
You and shymm3x are just the perfect description of "woman wrapper" grin
MayorofLagos:

Lmao. That will be a lot of fckng and baby making. Theres always diaper and breast milk around the house.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

Akata is not panther. Panthers are black leopards. And Leopards are EKUN, but some misinterprets it to be the Tiger. Tigers are not native to Africa.

Leopard is amotekun Tiger is Ekun. Fox is kolokolo.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 22, 2015
CabbieAC:
Iya Agba at the same time,I don't want to claim authority on this Akata/Sango topic before 9jacrip go come flog my yanch say I dey talk rubbish

Hopefully he agrees with me cheesy

What topic is that egbon mi?

Flog your butt keh, baba abeg o.

My trip to Owo in Ondo wan kill me. About 7 hours of driving back and forth na why I've not been active here as of late but I go play catch up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.