Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,723 members, 7,802,182 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (294) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (665699 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 22, 2015
Mosesm:

Leopard is amotekun Tiger is Ekun. Fox is kolokolo.

Brilliant sir/ma!

E jo egba.

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 2:14pm On Nov 22, 2015
Ghost01:
Izzatso? Heard they are today one of the ruling houses on the Island?

Ruling houses...as in
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 2:17pm On Nov 22, 2015
You brought out the goose, on a Sunday??
Looks good too!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 2:25pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:
MayorofLagos

Sir, I saw a question you asked Katsumoto yesterday about what started Kiriji wars. And I know Katsumoto also highlighted his fears on this thread about folks re-igniting old rivalries in a Yoruba country.

So, I think folks who know a lot on the background story about the Kiriji wars need to educate us on what started the wars and highlight what made the war a war of rivalry - and not a war caused by the power vacuum created by the collapse of Oyo.

Personally, based on my scholarship thus far: I think the wars had more to do with power vacuum and if Oyo hadn't collapsed, there would've never been Kiriji wars. And that's not synonymous with Yorubas alone - it happened in all ancient cultures and folks moved on after power was restored. When the Roman empire collapsed - it also created a power vacuum everywhere the Roman ruled. Internecine wars became the order of the day. England is a classic example and all the wars fought by the different invaders, albeit from the same ethnic group/stock, exemplifies that. Heck, even the Saxons fought amongst themselves. However, once they were able to formulate one general language and fall under one control system - everyone got along perfectly.

cc: aareonakakanfo/cabbieAC

Yeah, Katsumoto is consulting Ifa on the matter. Im sure he will return to confirm what I always thought was the root cause.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 2:36pm On Nov 22, 2015
OnReflection:

There is a lot of evidence that supports your very first post.

I've got some Nupe ancestry by way of a great-grandmother (on the father's side), so I always keep an eye out for any useful material.

"Aiye gba Tapa, o kole Igunnu" grin - Out of complacency in Oshodi Lagos, they established a masquerade (Interesting take here: Census 2006 Counts Some Out Of Lagos Again -- http://www.gamji.com/article5000/NEWS5769.htm).

Aljharem's backgrounder, which was culled from a website that has now gone offline, also provides some illumination....

The site was taken'down due to controversial revisions. Everyone is embellishing their history nowadays. Some of the descendants are claiming that Landuji Oshodi was a Nupe prince.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos:
You brought out the goose, on a Sunday??
Looks good too!

Yes o egbon mi.

I wan be like you ni.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 2:54pm On Nov 22, 2015
superduperjay:
OnReflection my friend is an oshodi and she told me her ancestors were from niger state I actually thought she was joking oo.

The "unknown known" eh? Now you know better wink
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superduperjay: 3:01pm On Nov 22, 2015
Yeah...
OnReflection:

The "unknown known" eh? Now you know better wink
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 3:06pm On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos:

The site was taken'down due to controversial revisions. Everyone is embellishing their history nowadays. Some of the descendants are claiming that Landuji Oshodi was a Nupe prince.

Yes, I read about that particular fissure. You may recall that I did say, the Nupes are a rather ambitious lot.
It is one thing to dispute a historical account that locates Oshodi-Tapa as a slave but quite another to ascribe to imperial leanings, in the absence of veritable proof.

Thankfully though, despite what is widely seen as an attempt to whitewash the past, they have made no attempt to declare Lagos "no man's land".

Oshodi-Tapa Wasn't a Slave of Oba Kosoko, Says Family

6 May 2015

By Ikechukwu Onyewuchi

THE Oshodi-Tapa Chieftaincy family has refuted claims in the media that its patriarch, Chief Landuji Balogun Oshodi, was a slave of Oba Kosoko.

The family was reacting to a publication on December 29, 2014, by Damola Awoyokun titled Lagos, Slave Trade and Founding Fathers (1), where the author claimed, among other things, that Chief Oshodi-Tapa was a slave of Oba Kosoko.

According to Awoyokun, "Prince Kosoko, who was Oba Eshinlokun's son, did not wait to be King before becoming a major slave trader. Princess Opo Olu, Kosoko's sister owned 1400 slaves. Oshodi Tapa, Dada Antonio and Ojo Akanbi, like Ajayi Crowther, were former slaves, but unlike Crowther, they rose to become merchants themselves."

But the family, in a statement insisted that the author erred, as historical facts showed that Chief Oshodi-Tapa was a prince, who rose to relevance in Lagos during the reign of Oba Eshinlokun, the father of Oba Kosoko, after having migrated from Bida in present day Niger State and later placed to oversee security in the inner section of the palace.

They said: "As a matter of historical fact, Chief Landuji Balogun Oshodi had, long before the coming of Kosoko as Oba of Lagos, established himself as a notable figure in Lagos. The coming into Lagos was during the reign of Oba Eshinlokun, the father of King Kosoko.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 3:07pm On Nov 22, 2015
aljharem:

Rather than give credit to the person that posted this you ave credit to Onerepublic angry

O kin se omo iya

Alhaji, but you were given credit when I mentioned your handle? No?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Missy89(f): 3:14pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

Lmao @ Kuwait. grin That's a next continent.
How soon can you get to London Town? tongue
London not on my mind for now
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ilaje44(m): 3:46pm On Nov 22, 2015
Mosesm:

Leopard is amotekun Tiger is Ekun. Fox is kolokolo.

Iro, tiger ko ni ekun. Ko si tiger l'Afrika rara ati rara. Leopard l'ekun. Oye to m'ekun l'Akure ni aiye ojo yen, leopard lo mu kii se tiger. Asia lo ni tiger.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ilaje44(m): 3:55pm On Nov 22, 2015
9jacrip:

Brilliant sir/ma!

E jo egba.

Tigers have never been native to Afrika. Leopard is Ekun, Amotekun should be cheetah, while ikoko should be hyena.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by KinkyAngela(f): 4:00pm On Nov 22, 2015
OnReflection:
You may recall that I did say, the Nupes are a rather ambitious lot.
So one mans opinion/suggestion/proposition has now given you the carte blance to sterotype a whole tribe.

He be like say una wan make i help una scatter this thread
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:06pm On Nov 22, 2015
KinkyAngela:
So one mans opinion/suggestion/proposition has now given you the carte blance to sterotype a whole tribe.

No one has a problem with ya Nupe folks here, we're just discussing the revisionism by some Nupe folks.

Nupes and Yorubas have a long history together - even Alaafin Shango's mum was Nupe.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 4:11pm On Nov 22, 2015
KinkyAngela:

A Nupe warrioress who is quick on the trigger. Chai.

Oya, no vex. I took poetic license too far, so your admonition is perfectly in order.
In truth, it is just that we shoot straight on the side of tracks I hail from.

P.S - I did allude to my Nupe genes too though... smiley
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:11pm On Nov 22, 2015
Missy89:

London not on my mind for now

Err...why are you always in these strategic countries at strategic times? - you know what I think, don't you? lipsrsealed

Anyway, it seems you're becoming more and more masculine by hanging around 'em white boys too much. You need a black man to get ya feminine side back. Better get ya arse down here before you become Caitlyn Jenner without the surgery. grin

I need to give you this tune from Wale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bZTZ_y7Tjw
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 4:29pm On Nov 22, 2015
OnReflection:

Yes, I read about that particular fissure. You may recall that I did say, the Nupes are a rather ambitious lot.
It is one thing to dispute a historical account that locates Oshodi-Tapa as a slave but quite another to ascribe to imperial leanings, in the absence of veritable proof.

Thankfully though, despite what is widely seen as an attempt to whitewash the past, they have made no attempt to declare Lagos "no man's land".

History is surely a b.itch...lol
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 4:40pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:

Well, let them continue and they'll keep failing like they've been failing for decades now with mediocre players.

But it pains me a lot as a soccer fan of the National team to see us always failing when I know we can do better with better and tested players.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by interloper(m): 4:40pm On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Who was the author?

For the love of God i cannot recall author's name! sad i missed out in my dad bequeathing me is library grin. . . . but the book was touted as the best authentic narration of the History of Lagos and many true Lagos indigene with strong family links used that book as a de facto mouth piece of what lagos was . . . .highly researched and eloquently written piece with pictures and all the worth nots . . . . . . .

I hope to make further enquiries with my siblings sef in that regard . . . .that book gats to be somewhere someplace, did search online a few times if i could just lay hands on her but the ones i came across by other authors? i wasn't feeling it much . . . . .the depth wasn't just there
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:40pm On Nov 22, 2015
OnReflection:

Bruv, based on anecdotal observation, I would argue that Nupe folks are more territorial and ambitious than people recognise. Although largely disenfranchised within the current federal structure, I find their hussle admirable.
In fact, I recall once repping a thread on these boards - where they laid claim to being the fourth most populous ethnic group in the country. grin

Now while I have always acknowledged that bit of my ancestry and responded to any misdirected missives (when I am propelled by unidentified Nupe warrior genes), it was with some alarm that I read Abdullahi's revisionist account of history (copied in below). On reading the sections I highlighted, I had little choice but to summon the cavalry - Abdullahi had taken chicanery too far. Check out the way he negated Ife's contributions to the art and tell me you are not similarly offended.

Lol.

I just checked Nupe arts and there's no semblance with Ife arts since both were based on realism/naturalism and a representation of the people, their culture, traditions, spirituality, and lifestyle. Unlike Bini arts which were more about finesse.

So why would Nupes leave the representation of the Nupes out of their bronze casting and create arts that represent Yorubas, unless they were Yoruba slaves, which wasn't the case?

That's the problem with a lot of these revisionists - they don't think before spouting tripe everywhere in their quest for pseudo-superiority. The guy is a clown. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:42pm On Nov 22, 2015
forgiveness:

But it pains me a lot as a soccer fan of the National team to see us always failing when I know we can do better with better and tested players.

Eff those people - they can stay losing for all I care. There are other African teams to support at global competitions.

Anyway, they can always take solace in fielding uncles against schoolboys at U-17 level and win laurels there. grin grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 4:50pm On Nov 22, 2015
CabbieAC:

I think Olaitan has been invited before.Still need to confirm tho

Not the biggest fan of Funsho Ojo after watching some videos but he's okay regardless

All in all, lets wait and see.I don't want to paste the tribalist tag on Oliseh yet

He hasn't spent up to 1 year

We're watching

Funsho is just a defensive midfielder nothing much but my question is, why should a coach call none active players over active ones in the European Leagues?

Issorite I dey also observe.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by interloper(m): 4:51pm On Nov 22, 2015
OnReflection:

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:51pm On Nov 22, 2015
tupacshakur:

grin grin grin

Shymmex, you sure ain't gonna put a brother in deep sh!t. grin

Married women? Magun is real, you know! Death is sure, no doubt, but I don't wish to exit the world via that route. grin

Henceforth, there's gonna be an extensive audit and background check (via checking of posts on Nairaland) on all potential chics before making moves on them.

Loool.

A lot of these chics are just shy. Don't worry one of them is going to ask you out soon.

There are just too many fugly chics on this forum and a lot of nutjobs. Then you've guys pretending to be females. So you gotta be careful when prowling so as not to get entangled in madness.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:54pm On Nov 22, 2015
tupacshakur:
Has anyone else noticed that this thread is exactly a month old today, 22/11/2015.

Just a month and it's going on 300 pages.

Aareonakakanfo, waa gbayi, baba!

Chop knuckle! You too much!

One bottle of Hennessy VSOP for you.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3103724_hennessy2copy_jpeg346cc25250dcd997c2a575adfbe141ed

This is the best Henny right here.

If you haven't messed with the black Henny - then you need to step ya game up, my nyggah.

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:57pm On Nov 22, 2015
aljharem:

Rather than give credit to the person that posted this you ave credit to Onerepublic angry

O kin se omo iya

Lool.

The big alhharem is back, yo.

What ethnic group are you claiming this time cos I know you used to be Kanuri, then Fulani, Igbo, Mahin, Ijaw, Urhobo, Egun, and finally Awori. grin

So are you still Awori, or you're now Calabar? grin

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by interloper(m): 4:59pm On Nov 22, 2015
OnReflection:

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 5:03pm On Nov 22, 2015
CabbieAC:

Lmaaooo I think I've heard of the Dapo character but I still believe we're talking about different characters grin

Eleko Agba awo leyin.e je ki a ma tan ra wa grin grin

Speaking of Lawanson,I used to play in that huge field close to Jubril martins, can't remember the name now

Back then me and my crew, we would trek from Akerele side to that field. shocked ti a ba n pada bo, ese wa ma ti dudu

I remember my mother coming there to look for me once grin She sent me on errand and after waiting for me for a long time, she started looking for me in every field I always played grin Egba ni mumsy fi le mi kuro grin cheesy

I played in Obele as well.I spent part of my childhood there

Then I played in that field inside New era and Ideal girls as well

It seems you grew up in Surulere. Where precisely?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

Tigers have never been native to Afrika. Leopard is Ekun, Amotekun should be cheetah, while ikoko should be hyena.

Yoruba have a term for Tiger and it is 'Ekun'.

A certain Ilare quarter in Ife has an Ijesa warriors ancestory and the reason is Ijesa warriors were invited to help kill a certain ekun that was a threat at that period - tiger.

But you do have a point sha.

On the side, if you're Ilaje then I hope you're aware of your folks being Osangangan Obamakin's (Obatala's brother) sujects at Mokuro till y'all emigrated out of Ife in protest to Oduduwa's kingship usurpation of power at Ife?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 5:12pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:
US college soccer prospect for 2016 rankings:

- Matthew Olosunde (ranked number 3 - 2016 class)
- Nathaniel Adamolekun (ranked number 17 - 2016 class)
- Mason Toye (ranked number 61 - 2016 class)
- Aquinas Akinlosotu (ranked number 88 - 2016 class)
- Tunde Akinlosotu (ranked number 92 - 2016 class)

Hmm! interesting. What does the rankings means?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 5:18pm On Nov 22, 2015
forgiveness:

Hmm! interesting. What does the rankings means?

That's the rankings for the top-100 footballers in the US for kids between age 15-17.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.