Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (311) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (666820 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 12:27am On Nov 24, 2015
9jacrip:

1. Ile Olorisa (Obatala family) ought to be the royal house in Ife but Obatala lost the crown to Oduduwa who suppressed his influence and even exiled him. However, his level of influence and spiritual power at that point made Oduduwa and his group seek for his help and regocnized his place in Ife scheme of things. So, the Modewa Ife (Obalufe etc) play the part of selection of Ooni candidate and we play the role of spiritual fortification and installation because we own the asiri of the 'etutu' and stuff to the ade.

2. Yes, we are the folks referred to as Isoro. Isoro is the spiritual arm of Ife while the Modewa are the political arm. Isoro is made up of Obatala, Obarese, Orisa ikire and Orisaoko - with Obatala as the head of Isoro.

3. Yes, I did. Left Owo to Ibadan and then to Ife where I've been, although exhausted.

Obatala temple at Idita has an old mud structure inside its premises - Obatala's Iranje Oko palace. The artefact is there. I suppose you know Mokuro towards NTA axis along Ilesa road where Esinmirin river is; that was the Ilaje/Mahin/Ugbo settlement with Osangangan Obamakin as their king. Obatala was exiled to that part and Obamakin stepped down for him to be their king till he was apologized to and brought back to Igbo Itapa (Iranje Ile) and the Ugbos migrated to their present Ondo settlement in protest.

Story yen po but I'm glad you know certain places.

Thanks Bawse. Agba O Ni Tan Lor'ile.

When I saw picture of New Ooni coming out of a forest, I thought to myself, could it be Igbo Itapa where the coronation rites was performed. But I never asked you because I know it's an Asiri, I'm not an Initiate and we are on internet.

Traditional religion is really interesting. I grew up watching Olojo Festival on Ilare. I was so glad the day I touched late Ooni inside Olodo Compound. I touched his right arm, I was glad and told everyone. That should be early 90s.

I remember Edi festival and various festivals.

Isese Lagba. Tradition is Supreme.

O daaro.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:31am On Nov 24, 2015
zimoni:

Thanks Bawse. Agba O Ni Tan Lor'ile.

When I saw picture of New Ooni coming out of a forest, I thought to myself, could it be Igbo Itapa where the coronation rites was performed. But I never asked you because I know it's an Asiri, I'm not an Initiate and we are on internet.

Traditional religion is really interesting. I grew up watching Olojo Festival on Ilare. I was so glad the day I touched late Ooni inside Olodo Compound. I touched his right arm, I was glad and told everyone. That should be early 90s.

I remember Edi festival and various festivals.

Isese Lagba. Tradition is Supreme.

O daaro.

The emboldened made me smile, an experience many are yet to have even me grin

Yes, he was at Iranje Ile (Igbo Itapa) where the tenple/compound is on Sunday but the process of crowning was at the forest sir.

Agba o ni tan nile, iseese a gbe wa.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:12am On Nov 24, 2015
9jacrip:

Ife is home to all of us, I really dig that.

I see your taste in music is synonymous to your taste in ladies - no actual restriction within a premise as long as it is good grin. For me, it is important that the lady is not from a certain region in Nigeria. Never dated outside my ethnic group.

Passing the Osun ones is not a problem ny duke but would you be able to deal with their culture mind state? grin

Lol.

My taste in music is about 80% hiphop and I flirt with everything else from time to time. However, with women, it's just everywhere. The thing is that I naturally don't get along with Yoruba chics. A lot of them just peeve you with that leaking exhaust pipe-esque razor mouth - and I can't be around folks like that for too long. But when I meet the few decent ones that know how to talk to people - I lock in. I guess you understand Yoruba chics better than I do and it's only right you stick to ya own.

I'm supremely Yoruba and I should be able to deal with culture. Osun chics are fine. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Funjosh(m): 1:23am On Nov 24, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 1:25am On Nov 24, 2015
Funjosh post the whole thing na and add bold to the title
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Funjosh(m): 1:32am On Nov 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Funjosh post the whole thing na and add bold to the title

Huh! Ok leme do that smiley
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Funjosh(m): 1:35am On Nov 24, 2015
Funmi Iyanda makes history as first African woman to receive
honorary fellowship from UK varsity

Nigerian media entrepreneur, Funmi Iyanda,
will on Wednesday, November 25 receive an
honorary fellowship from the University of
Cumbria in recognition of her significant
global contribution to human rights and
sustainability.

She is the first African woman to receive the
award.
The investiture will take place at a graduation
ceremony in the historic Carlisle Cathedral in
Cumbria, North West England in
acknowledgment of her outstanding and high
profile work.

An award-winning producer, talk show host,
journalist and activist, Ms. Iyanda is best
known for independently producing and
hosting Nigeria’s most popular and ground-
breaking talk show, New Dawn with Funmi,
which ran on the national network for eight
years.

She is a Director at Creation Television, a
film production company in the United
Kingdom, acquiring classic African literary
content for film adaptation to a global
audience.
She is also the founder of Change-A-Life
Foundation, a social service non-profit
organisation that acts as a bridge between
exceptional but indigent youth and women
and the individuals, agencies and
organisations with the capacity and
willingness to meet these people’s needs.

Ms. Iyanda has worked closely with the
University of Cumbria for a number of
years, in particular with its Institute for
Leadership and Sustainability (IFLAS),
where her achievements and inspiration
make her a role model to the growing
contingent of African students who enrol on
the MBA.

She has been recognised by the World
Economic Forum making her a Young
Global Leader (YGL) and by Forbes
magazine naming her one of Africa’s most
powerful and influential women, and is a
Fellow of the Aspen Institute World Global
Leaders Programme.

Speaking on receiving the award, Ms. Iyanda said, “I am
truly honoured to have my work and career recognised by
such a historic institution and thankful for a great space to
contribute to a diverse body of knowledge.”
IFLAS Founder and Professor of Sustainability Leadership,
Jem Bendell, says of Ms. Iyanda, “She demonstrates how
celebrity and media can be used to raise the level of debate
about what kind of society, politics and economy we want.
“Given the gossip and squabbling in much mainstream
media, it is important that our cultural leaders call us to
consider what really matters in life, like poverty, equality, and
the environment. We look forward to working further with
Ms. Iyanda on a range of our activities in both the UK and
Africa.”

The University of Cumbria teaches leadership and
sustainability to hundreds of senior executives from across
Africa, through its MBA programmes with the Robert
Kennedy College.
IFLAS has over 500 African MBA students.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by interloper(m): 1:38am On Nov 24, 2015
Katsumoto:
Is it necessary for a Yoruba son to be governor in a state where Yorubas are a minority? Otherwise they risk being accused of what they accuse others of doing. If Faleke is wanted by a majority, then all well and good but sneaking in through a technicality will create problems for him and the Yoruba.

I really don't get why Nigerian people always want someone from their ethnic group to be governor/president.

The truth of the matter is our society or democracy has not evolved to folks over looking ethnic colouration of candidates and to not acknowledge that in itself is playing to the gallery.

To juxtapose the clamour of Yorubas in Kogi State to the Ibos wanting presidency at all cost might just be stretching it too much and not being fair on them.

Once we agree they aren't migrant in Kogi State as they are actually domiciled too on their ancestral home then a good point for starters .......... For the sake of fair play, fair representation and the common good of that state.

The governorship and other sensitive posts in States like that should be rotated but with a (CAVEAT) that the best from her constituents parts be brought to bear at all times and they'll be just okay.

I would want to believe something akin to rotating this post is evident in our federal government, if GEJ did not renegade on his word after completing Yaradua tenure am sure the Ibos would have had a better moral ground to take up the mantle after a northerner had completed Yaradua's cycle.

But a case of penny wise pound foolish is what they displayed for all to see........ Now that miscalculation as sent them down the perking order and this latest clamour for biafra of late?! Another blow to their chances.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 1:53am On Nov 24, 2015
Interloper I'm still expecting your reply to the question I asked yesterday

Check your mentions
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 1:58am On Nov 24, 2015
[size=16pt]FG Commissions Hydrocarbon Plant In Ogun State[/size]

[img]http://www.epc-celle.de/wp-content/uploads/Erdgas1-big.jpg[/img]

The Nigerian government has commissioned a Hydrocarbon plant in Ikenne, Ogun State, to produce high grade Hydrocarbon refrigerants which are to be used in the Refrigerants Services sectors.

The plant was built in a renewed effort to ensure the phasing out of Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) by the year 2040 in line with Montreal Protocol agreement on Substances that Deplete the Ozone layer to which Nigeria is a party.

At the commissioning of the plant, the Minister of State for Environment, Mr Ibrahim Jibril, said that the plant would greatly mitigate the negative consequences on Nigeria’s ecological system and human health occasioned by the use of Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS).

He stated that the first stage implementation of the Hydrochlorofluorocarbons Phase-out Management Plan (HPMP), which commenced in 2011, was expected to be completed before the end of the year.

“The hydrocarbon pilot project is one of the main components of the project and it is designed to demonstrate the feasibility of replacing the current use of HCFCs refrigerant in the Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning (RAC) sector with the Hydrocarbon refrigerant-based technology,” Mr Jibril explained.

The Minister further said that the ministry would ensure that stakeholders in the sector nationwide would be properly trained in the use of the new technology.

Mr Jibril stated that economic development had largely been unsustainable because it had been supported by the use of hydrocarbon fuels and chemicals which unfortunately were damaging the ecosystem and harmful to human health.

He maintained that, with the commissioning of the plant, there would be a remarkable economic development, as the project had the potential of creating jobs, providing foreign exchange and building local capacity to produce energy efficient low Global warming Potential (GWPs) gases among other benefits.

The Minister further called on the private sector to invest in the operation and marketing of the hydrocarbon refrigerants products, stressing that the Government was considering harnessing the products of the Hydrocarbon plant (Butane), as a source of clean fuel for cooking and an alternative for firewood.

http://www.channelstv.com/2015/11/23/fg-commissions-hydrocarbon-plant-in-ogun-state/

Stuntingblack/Shymm3x/Onreflection
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:05am On Nov 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
[size=16pt]FG Commissions Hydrocarbon Plant In Ogun State[/size]

[img]http://www.epc-celle.de/wp-content/uploads/Erdgas1-big.jpg[/img]

The Nigerian government has commissioned a Hydrocarbon plant in Ikenne, Ogun State, to produce high grade Hydrocarbon refrigerants which are to be used in the Refrigerants Services sectors.

The plant was built in a renewed effort to ensure the phasing out of Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) by the year 2040 in line with Montreal Protocol agreement on Substances that Deplete the Ozone layer to which Nigeria is a party.

At the commissioning of the plant, the Minister of State for Environment, Mr Ibrahim Jibril, said that the plant would greatly mitigate the negative consequences on Nigeria’s ecological system and human health occasioned by the use of Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS).

He stated that the first stage implementation of the Hydrochlorofluorocarbons Phase-out Management Plan (HPMP), which commenced in 2011, was expected to be completed before the end of the year.

“The hydrocarbon pilot project is one of the main components of the project and it is designed to demonstrate the feasibility of replacing the current use of HCFCs refrigerant in the Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning (RAC) sector with the Hydrocarbon refrigerant-based technology,” Mr Jibril explained.

The Minister further said that the ministry would ensure that stakeholders in the sector nationwide would be properly trained in the use of the new technology.

Mr Jibril stated that economic development had largely been unsustainable because it had been supported by the use of hydrocarbon fuels and chemicals which unfortunately were damaging the ecosystem and harmful to human health.

He maintained that, with the commissioning of the plant, there would be a remarkable economic development, as the project had the potential of creating jobs, providing foreign exchange and building local capacity to produce energy efficient low Global warming Potential (GWPs) gases among other benefits.

The Minister further called on the private sector to invest in the operation and marketing of the hydrocarbon refrigerants products, stressing that the Government was considering harnessing the products of the Hydrocarbon plant (Butane), as a source of clean fuel for cooking and an alternative for firewood.

http://www.channelstv.com/2015/11/23/fg-commissions-hydrocarbon-plant-in-ogun-state/

Stuntingblack/Shymm3x/Onreflection

Nice project.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:14am On Nov 24, 2015
[size=15pt]Ogun State Govt Repairs Lagos-Ibadan Expressway[/size]

Contrary to a recent report that the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) had begun the repair of the Arepo and Warewa ends of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, investigations carried out by Naij.com has revealed that it was the Ogun state government that was repairing the expressway.

It would be recalled that a media outfit called ‘Within Nigeria’ had on Wednesday, N0vember 4, 2015, reported that the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) had risen to the rescue of users of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway as it undertook the repair of the Arepo and Warewa ends of the busy expressway.[/i]

There were false claims insinuation that the Ogun state government had abandoned the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

However, when Naij.com reporters visited the scene, construction workers informed that the ongoing repairs was being done by the Ogun state government.

The workers added that what the RCCG did was to patch certain spots on the expressway which often cause a hindrance to members of the church on their way to the monthly ‘Holy Ghost Night’.

It was gathered that the move by the RCCG is to enable easy access for their members when they attend the congress which is scheduled to start on Friday, November 6.

Below are photographs taken at the construction scene which further affirmed the fact that it is indeed the Ogun state government that was repairing the expressway.

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:19am On Nov 24, 2015
Mummyejire mi o mo yin ooo sugbon nkan eyo kan ni mo fe je ke se fun mi

Se le bawa so fun awon ejire yin ki won ba wa dasi oro t' a n so lori itakun yii wink

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:22am On Nov 24, 2015
[size=15pt]Ogun To Prioritise Rural Development In 2016[/size]

Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun state has disclosed that the development of rural areas in the state would be the priority of the state government in 2016.

He also revealed that the state has lost over 60% of the statutory allocation because of the financial meltdown being experienced in the country.

The governor stated this on Tuesday, November 17, at the town Hall meeting with stakeholders on the 2016 budget held at the June 12 cultural centre, Kuto, Abeokuta.

Among the dignitaries that present at the event were the Deputy Governor of Ogun state, the Olu of Ilaro and the Paramount ruler of Yewaland, HRM Kehinde Olugbenle, Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Barr.Taiwo Adeoluwa.

Others are political and religious leaders, students group, transport unions, market men and women, artisans, youth organisation, among others.

Amosun disclosed that the decision to prioritise the rural area is because of the realisation that the bulk of the people of the state reside in the rural areas as well as the need to open up the places.

The governor also stated that because of the onerous importance of the task of developing the rural areas of the state, he has saddled his deputy, Chief (Mrs) Yetunde Onanuga, with the task of fixing all the rural roads and rural infrastructure across the state.

[b]Amosun, who promised that the new policy thrust of the 2016 budget would be vigorously pursued, however lamented the massive drop in the revenue of the state.

“What we receive in Ogun state has dropped considerably. In fact, our allocation coming from Abuja has dropped by as much as 60%. It is so bad. When we came in, we were collecting between N3.5billion and N4.8billion in a month, but with the recent slump in the price of oil in the international market, the money coming to us has slumped.

“This last month, we collected just N1.3billion and our wage bill is in the excess of N7billion in a month. How do we do it? We have to enthrone prudent financial management,” Amosun said.

The governor used the medium to officially announce that no new roads would be awarded in the state 2016.

He said: “We won’t award contract for any new road in 2016. We will only complete the roads that are presently under construction across the state.

“Let me tell you something, Ogun state will be 40 years in February 2016, we will be commissioning 40 projects across the state. Our leader, President Muhammadu Buhari would be coming to our state to commission the projects.We will be making it real celebration because our state is now 40 years,” the governor hinted.
[/b]

Governor Amosun also decried the refusal of landlords to re-connect their homes with public water supply in the state.

He hinted of government’s plans to ensure that all landlords reconnect to public water.

Amosun equally explained that indigenes have snubbed all efforts to reconnect to the public water after the reconstruction of the roads that passed their areas.

According to him, “We are determined to ensure that that is reversed. We observed that people take jerry cans to public taps. We will soon discourage that because we will soon be installing meters on those public water taps and ensure landlords reconnect to public water mains,” Amosun noted.

Speaking earlier in her own speech, the Commissioner for Budget and Planning, Ms Adenrele Adesina noted that the event was to aggregate the opinion of the public on what they wanted to be included in the 2016 budget.

In recent times, Governor Ibikunle Amosun is one name that has continued to make an appearance in the media. From the alleged maltreatment of teachers in the state to the seeming retardation of the state’s infrastructural development, political commentators have come to dwell on the notion that the governor enjoys the negligence on his people.

https://www.naij.com/641672-amosun-reveals-major-agenda-2016-laments-drop-state-allocation.html
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:24am On Nov 24, 2015
[size=15pt]Ogun names estate, school after HID Awolowo[/size]

ABEOKUTA—The Ogun State Government, yesterday named the Plainfields Estate, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, and the yet-to-be completed government-owned Model School in Ikenne, after the late Chief (Mrs.) Hannah Idowu Dideolu Awolowo.

Governor Ibikunle Amosun disclosed this at the Gateway International Stadium, Sagamu, venue of the programmes lined up for the funeral of the late HID Awolowo.

The estate and the model school named after the late matriarch are part of the projects embarked upon by the current administration in the state in the past four years.

However, contrary to the expectation that all the governors across the country would be present to pay their last respects, none of them showed up at the programme.

The programme was attended by Head of the defunct Interim National Government, Chief Earnest Shonekan; Minister of Solid Minerals, Dr Kayode Fayemi; former Chairman of All Progressives Congress , Chief Bisi Akande, wife of Vice President, Dolapo Osinbajo, among others.

Amosun, in his keynote address at the programme tagged: Ogun Celebrates HID Awolowo, said that naming the two projects after the late matriarch was part of the moves to immortalise her.

The governor said: “The state Exco met today and we agreed to name some projects after Mama; the ones that will be lasting.”

He described the late Mama Awolowo as a rare gem who played a vital role in the stability of the Awolowo family and Yorubaland.

While paying tributes to the late HID Awolowo, Shonekan said: “She was a great pillar of support to her husband, especially during his political travails.”

Also speaking, a chieftain of the pan-Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, said that Yorubaland and Nigeria at large would miss her greatly.

The former military administrator of Ekiti State, General Adetunji Olurin (retd) said that the free education policy initiated by the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, in 1955 enabled poor Nigerians to have access to basic education.

Olurin, however, noted that the support and backing given the late sage by his wife, HID Awolowo contributed greatly to the success of his programmes.

He further described her as “a strong housewife, a diligent supporter of her husband. Our Mama was a very strong-hearted woman; very dedicated to the society and her community.”

In her response, the eldest child of the late matriarch, Reverend Omotola Oyediran, commended the Ogun State Government for organizing the programme and thanked Nigerians from all walks of life for attending the programme.

Oyediran assured Nigerians that the family left behind by Mama HID Awolowo would not disappoint them.

“I don’t know what to say because really this is awesome. This is exactly what Mama wanted. You have all demonstrated to us that you appreciate what Mama and Papa meant to Nigeria. We will not disappoint Nigeria,” she said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/ogun-names-estate-school-after-hid-awolowo/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:25am On Nov 24, 2015
Musiwa419 ara Ogun ni yin abi?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 2:29am On Nov 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Musiwa419 ara Ogun ni yin abi?
Yoruba state
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:32am On Nov 24, 2015
Musiwa419:
Yoruba state

E dahun jare grin

A fe mo nkan te ri nipa awon ise ti Amosun gbe se ni ipinle Ogun
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by interloper(m): 2:54am On Nov 24, 2015
superstar1:

It is really not a great news because it will end up being a tool for mind conditioning and further programming of the minds of the blacks, in a form of pseudo-colonialisation.

The pros are that it will keep propagating the language, promoting our rich culture and heritage our forefathers handed down to us. It will alos give us an international pedestal to tell our story in our own way.

If I may throw in my opinion on this, the second part of your writup sums most of all the inherent benefits that will accrue to the Yorubas if this idea becomes a reality
which really is all there is to this idea by BBC ......positives positives positives!!!

To as much as attempt the former! That will be a waste of their time, everybody's time for that matter and waste of their resources too cos it's just not gonna fly.

Might work if it was radio biafra and Kanu, the infamous Radio Director were at the helms of affairs to capture all their warmongering imaginations that will be fine! but for us? No way Hosay!

The fact that a Global Yoruba audience can be reached via this platform a big plus! Our Yoruba speaking brothers and sisters in west Africa, the carribeans and South America will also provide content I would assume.

Also bare in mind language is always a veritable tool to keep refreshing any one culture or people thereby aiding in many ways to foster unity amongst the many many Yoruba speaking folks which we have all over the world.

Furthermore it will also provide an international platform for our budding artist, poets, radio presenters, musicians, language experts and many other allied cultural industry sectors/players to showcase themselves to a Global audience.

This will indirectly help to awaken our own Yoruba Renaissance and providing employment for our people both locally/internationally. Afterall we (Yorubas) will be the ones providing the radio contents from news, music, current affairs etc

I too excitedly and bodily cosign this idea like wetin dey shele!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Mummyejire(f): 2:59am On Nov 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Mummyejire mi o mo yin ooo sugbon nkan eyo kan ni mo fe je ke se fun mi

Se le bawa so fun awon ejire yin ki won ba wa dasi oro t' a n so lori itakun yii wink

Buroda mi mo n bo wa, e ma reti mi laipe grin

It's @ modath and @zaynie that brought me yia
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 3:01am On Nov 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

E dahun jare grin

A fe mo nkan te ri nipa awon ise ti Amosun gbe se ni ipinle Ogun
mo man gbe ni Eko ati Ogun, nitori na, i have a little knowledge about the state.
Amosun tried in his office term in office. He did some couple of outstanding projects, but not as much as one would expect from a state like Ogun.
Hopefully, he should be able to do more, and most especially, finish the abandoned projects he has got on his hands before his tenure expires. All in all, i will score him 40%
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 3:04am On Nov 24, 2015
Mummyejire:

Buroda mi mo n bo wa, e ma reti mi laipe grin

It's @ modath and @zaynie that brought me yia
Ekaabo

Olorun ma gbo adura yin ni oruko Jesu
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by raumdeuter: 3:05am On Nov 24, 2015
Wole Soyinka High School

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by raumdeuter: 3:05am On Nov 24, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:22am On Nov 24, 2015
Mummyejire Iyen naa da.A o ma reti yin

E saa ma gbagbe lati mu awon Ejire yin dani wink

Musiwa419 I got this to share

[size=14pt]Nigeria: Ogun Projects - Between Criticism and Development[/size]

The provision of a good road network, especially in a city like Abeokuta and its environs, is certainly in the interest of its residents. Beside its necessity for easy access and communication across the city, it harbours a lot of economic benefits. As a result, the Ogun state government and Ogun State Ministry of Works and Infrastructure have embarked on massive reconstruction and expansion works in the city and the entire state to ensure smooth traffic and avert traffic bottleneck in the state and easy movement of people in the state.

Contrary to the thinking in some quarters that the road re-construction and expansion in the state is a total failure and wasting of money. I make bold to say that the re-construction and expansion of roads in the state under the administration of Senator Ibikunle Amosun, remains the most successful and uncommon programme ever run by the Ogun State Government since the creation of the state in 1976.

I stand by my position in my previous piece on this matter that the re-construction and expansion of roads in the state remains the most genuine, valiant and profound effort made by any State Government of the Federation since the country's Independence to tackle the agitation for motorable roads and bridges in Ogun state. It has, in my view, been the most effective tool employed by any government in addressing bad roads and impassable roads in the state.

Of recent, I have read several write-ups in the newspapers, where different kinds of unsubstantiated allegations of fund mismanagement, payment of no compensation for those being affected and not providing alternative for displaced people were made against the Ogun state government. Some have even gone to court to challenge the state government for demolition of their house for the expansion and re-construction.

Well, I do know that many discerning and perceptive Ogun state indigene and Nigerians would agree with me that such argument and going to court is obviously illogical and therefore cannot hold water, because the gains of the re-construction and expansion are there for everyone to see and benefits. Anybody who says that the funds meant for the road re-construction in the state have not been judiciously applied may have deliberately blindfolded himself such that he cannot see the progress being made by the Senator Ibikunle Amosun-led administration.

It would not be out of place then to posit that Amosun got his mandate in whole or in part on his agenda "rebuilding Ogun State" in the five cardinal areas of focus for his administration namely; Affordable Qualitative Education, Efficient Health Care Delivery, Increased Agricultural Production/Industrialization, Affordable Housing/Urban Renewal, Rural and Infrastructural Development/Employment Generation.

In construction terms to re-build, you have to destroy-demolish-some or all of existing structure to give way for a larger or more befitting edifices. It is in this light that one can situate the road dualisation projects at Abeokuta, Sagamu, Ijebu-Ode, Ota, Igua, Ijohun, Papalanto, Ilaro and many more roads. There is no way rebuilding these roads will not involve destruction/demolition of existing structure of private citizens in public interest. Apparently public interest has to override private interest in this matter of developing the society. The same is applicable to urban renewal, which it must be noted is visible in Abeokuta, the state capital also in Ijebu-Ode, Sagamu, and Sango-Ota and Yewa axis. Except the Rock city as Abeokuta is known want to maintain its old and rustic look with ancient family houses and compounds, then some structure have to give way for modern structures and facilities to spring up in the state.

The concept of re-building in policy terms assumes that there are structures on ground to be re-built. That assumption is fundamental to the concept, for without it the concept falls flat on its face. Without doubt Ogun state since its creation has structures and infrastructure that even dates back beyond its creation in 1976 courtesy of the Obafemi Awolowo government in then Western Region. Successive government in their own way had ensured that certain social amenities like road, water, healthcare, education etc are in place in one form or another in most part of the State. So Amosun certainly have structures to "re-build" in virtually all sectors of the society.

It must be pointed out however that in the provision of new infrastructure and amenities, the people has to be carried along to minimize the negative impact of unintended consequences. One is talking about sensitization and mobilization. A 6-lane road, flyover and foot bridges are certainly novel thing for many motorists and pedestrians alike. Enlightenments are needed for the people to appreciate that these facilities requires new attitudes and modification of behaviour.

Apparently based on the above, Amosun was on point in his "re-building" strategy and the mandate he got from the people. But apparently, the people were not prepared for the unintended consequence of the "re-building" agenda of Amosun. This understandably have fuelled emotional out-burst of even persons who are enlighten enough to appreciate that 'birth pains' are not 'death throes' in this rebuilding strategy.

But beyond re-building physical infrastructure in all sectors, there is a more urgent and pressing one of "re-building" political culture and tolerance that have gone awry in recent times. One is privilege to have been in government/observe governance under military and democratic administration in Ogun State. Part of the Political culture prevalent in Ogun State as I know even during the Military era was Political tolerance. Friends and business associate belong to different political parties and will stand their ground based on their political affiliations. This hitherto does not stop those attending social functions etc of their opponents. This has changed in recent time to a situation where some have been known to lose offices or other advantages for associating with 'wrong persons'. People now mind what they say and who they say it to in order not to incur the wrath of the power that be. Such political culture needs "re-building" to reposition Ogun state to its first position in most things in Nigeria

In all one must accept the need to "re-build" in Ogun state with all its unintended consequences. Let the Government do more within its resources and forget about opprobrium from some quarters on its priorities.

This is someone else's opinion though
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:27am On Nov 24, 2015
Raumdeuter that school was built with 750million naira
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by interloper(m): 3:30am On Nov 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Interloper I'm still expecting your reply to the question I asked yesterday

Check your mentions

Please bear with me I will definitely reply you asap....... My hands pretty tied down today why am trying to at least mark register by chipping in some coments now....
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by raumdeuter: 3:43am On Nov 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Raumdeuter that school was built with 750million naira

Is it too much? or adequate? WHat would be the cost of building that sort of school in Africa without embezzlement? (How much do private organisations use to build schools, How much did Oprah build her South African school)

WHat is the size of the school, How many rooms and floors, what other amenity are there in the schools that would have cost money

What is the cost of building in Nigeria say a 5 bedroom duplex, and furnishing it. Now lets extrapolate to a school To verify the degree of contract inflation in this since there was most likely inflation

I would rather they build schools with modern equipments that just pay salary with it

Assuming the average worker salary is 30k which I believe would be more than this(18k is the minimum wage i.e wage of the least worker who joins the work force today) 750M would pay a month salary of 25,000 workers. whereas this school if it was built with good materials would train 5 generation of good students
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:49am On Nov 24, 2015
modath:

Superstar abeg tell 'em ... Even if abok1 be church rat, he must get transistor radio ..

Southerners often wonder how they manage to congregate & ready for war, it is cos they have foreknowledge of what is buzzing in the polity...

Seems you talked abot Yobe sometime ago, Potiskum or Damaturu? Rest of Yobe is lipsrsealed

Ilekehd , aareonakakanfo, ramdeuter , katsumoto , mayoroflagos , onreflection , iyaiode , et al, are you gentlemen & ladies familiar with any hausa/ fulani person, beyond the stereotype / rhetorics ...

Zimoni , I nor go ask you, you & the sabo crew already don share boundary. grin

Which stereotype/rhetorics?

All I know is that BBC Hausa unites Hausa people and makes them aware of the ongoings in Nigeria.

I wonder if Fulanis also listens to it....which would explain why they always know when their brothers are under attack.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:52am On Nov 24, 2015
@ daretodiffer

You sent me a pm. i don't reply to PMs.....if you need to ask me about something, please do so here.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:54am On Nov 24, 2015
raumdeuter:

Is it too much? or adequate? WHat would be the cost of building that sort of school in Africa without embezzlement? (How much do private organisations use to build schools, How much did Oprah build her South African school)

WHat is the size of the school, How many rooms and floors, what other amenity are there in the schools that would have cost money

What is the cost of building in Nigeria say a 5 bedroom duplex, and furnishing it. Now lets extrapolate to a school To verify the degree of contract inflation in this

I would rather they build schools with modern equipments that just pay salary with it

Assuming the average worker salary is 30k which I believe would be more than this(18k is the minimum wage i.e wage of the least worker who joins the work force today) 750M would pay a month salary of 25,000 workers. whereas this school if it was built with good materials would train 5 generation of good students

You made a good point with the emboldened.Talk about long term benefit

But at the same time,you have to approach issues according to their order of importance

At this moment,key word "moment".I will rather pay salaries than build a school

In fact.you can destroy the future of students by non-payment of workers because the teachers lose motivation which can be detrimental

There's nothing wrong with building a school,but its definitely not the right time to do that in Osun state
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:57am On Nov 24, 2015
laudate:

The Hausa and the Fulani group are a pretty interesting lot. I am not sure if it is still possible to have pure Hausa indigenes, as there has been a lot of acculturation and inter-marriage in the North. There are so many different Northern ethnic groups that speak fluent Hausa (e.g. Kanuri, Sayyawa, Bachama, Fulani etc.) sad I am not familiar with Yobe or Adamawa. But I have spent some time in Kaduna, Kano, Niger & Kebbi states.

On one hand, you have the rich, well-educated folks who form the bulk of the upper class. Many of them have 2nd and 3rd degrees from Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Egyptian and Middle East universities. You would be amazed to see their hijab-wearing women have had the best kind of education from the poshest schools around. Religion is a strong factor, and even though there are a few Fulani Christians, most Fulbe believe that being a true Fulani goes hand in hand, with being a devoted Muslim.
Many of them speak fluent Hausa....come to think of it, I have never met a Fulani person who could not speak Hausa, even though I have met a number of Fulani that cannot speak their indigenous language.

Respect for authority is entrenched, and the monarchy in various communities, are revered. The wealthy families live in opulence, but there is also a large educated middle-class, who are fairly comfortable and content with their earnings. undecided

At the other end of the spectrum, are the really poor uneducated citizens who live from hand-to-mouth, on a daily basis. They have benefactors, and so they gather each day in front of the houses of their benefactors in order to receive a daily stipend, or a daily handout for a meal. They are the ones that can easily be used as tools by the rich. Due to their lack of education, they can easily be brainwashed.
Among these lot, you will find the almajiris. Again, religion plays a decisive role among this lot. There are also animists that practise the traditional religions, but I have only met just a few. The politicians and extremist preachers often find ready tools, among these poor lots. sad

What am I saying?? You have Hausa, Fulani, kanuri etc artisans and professionals, just like you have down south. They are just as widely diverse as the southerners when it comes to their daily lives. Ah, I am not sure I am making a lot of sense here, because some of these things are just so hard to describe. undecided

And yes....a lot of them are hooked to their radio, and also TV sets. They love Kannywood just as much as they enjoy watching Nollywood movies. cheesy Ask their women!

I beg to differ.

I've heard otherwise from different people. I heard that Fulanis have their own traditional religion and almost all muslim northerners are Hausas.

@Fulaniman/Fulaman/Fulanigirl Your take on this?

Fulanis are rich tho. One bought a new mercedes [$40+ in cash] and he didn't even have his license yet. That day, I made up my mind to either become rich or marry rich grin tongue Poverty na bastard!

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.